We Love Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

this is bollocks. im sick of this superman myth people try and create.

is he a good coach? hell yeah! hes done really well. but that doesnt mean hes perfect and does not make the odd blue. im sure hed admit it himself. what is it with supporters that love to hero worship and lionise (in this case lyonise) people to the extent that they see no wrong no matter what?

id give him an 8.5/10. great effort. but lets not lose our heads.
the fact is we got nothing for luke ball. NOTHING. its a mistake.

did he make a smistake not playing luke enough in the gf? yeah probably (he admitted it himself). was dempster slection a blunder. yeah probably. not big blues. but little ones. noone is perfect guys. lets just keep our heads screwed on straight.

as for this playing hard business. Clarko and Chocco did the same at their respective clubs. In the end egos and tough talk mean nothing. Just get results. On the Luke Ball issue he could have performed better.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i'm a man utd fan and think alex ferguson is the best coach in the business - but as a person i'm no fan.
think the same of ross (well not the best coach - but he's up there) and hope he brings us some success! but as the above poster suggests - the messiah worship on here gets a bit over the top.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
mick13
Club Player

Bleh, compared to every other coach we've had, he pretty much is the Messiah.

Strange world for Saints fans to have so much faith in their coach.

asiu

....compared to every other coach we've had, he pretty much is the Messiah.
:)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:. On the Luke Ball issue he could have performed better.
How, I'd like to know what he could have done better?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

RL is a great coach but until he wins a flag he is equla to every other coach we had bar Allan Jeans. this hero worshipping is the reason we have won only one flag. He is part of a team that hopefully will win a flag next year.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:RL is a great coach but until he wins a flag he is equla to every other coach we had bar Allan Jeans. this hero worshipping is the reason we have won only one flag. He is part of a team that hopefully will win a flag next year.
Hear, Hear.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: We Love Ross

Batnoe wrote:I Love Ross Lyon. he got us to a grand final and gets the best out of most players

Even after trading our first pick ( quite worth it)

Not getting much for X Clarke

Delisting Matt Maguire

Not Giving Max the send off

Holding strong regarding Luke Ball

If this was any other coach, we would be calling for his axeing.... This just proves that this is the man for the job.

give him a couple more years....but if there is more of the same and no cups, history says he will be given the flick......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Who else feels like a massive idiot for ever doubting him?
At least you had an opinion on RL, I was SO wishy washy! :lol:

Batnoe

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:RL is a great coach but until he wins a flag he is equla to every other coach we had bar Allan Jeans. this hero worshipping is the reason we have won only one flag. He is part of a team that hopefully will win a flag next year.
Hear, Hear.

Yes, i am saying it is good that the supporters actually support our coach even through this offseason

If we didnt support him then it will make it worse, the fact that Ross knows the fans are behind him means he knows he can do what he wants and things will just work

It's amazing that with support what can happen, If Raph had support he would be a star

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Like a lot of supporters I was a huge fan of Bally, Goose & X. However I fully support was Ross is doing and if that means letting go of sentimental favourites then so be it. Let's face it, nothing else has worked in the last 40 years so if it takes a strong outsider to come in and make the hard decisions then he has my full backing.

Batnoe

I just got a text off saintspremiers2008 and he said he never doubted Ross Lyon, he said for people to search it...

He said he was always going to be a star.. He loves him

In fact... That is the best post he has written and he didnt even write it personally? haha

Milton66
SS Life Member

Reincarnated says that if he was still on the forum, he would applaud Ross Lyon, yet still be concerned about the Messiah worship.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Batnoe

Milton66 wrote:Reincarnated says that if he was still on the forum, he would applaud Ross Lyon, yet still be concerned about the Messiah worship.

he/she/gt thinks that Ross is the Boss, even though that he/she/gt predicted it all along anyway

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Reincarnated says that if he was still on the forum, he would applaud Ross Lyon, yet still be concerned about the Messiah worship.
Where is reincarnated? He was a bit of fun. You seem to know him. We need him back.

linz
Club Player

mick13 wrote:Bleh, compared to every other coach we've had, he pretty much is the Messiah.

Strange world for Saints fans to have so much faith in their coach.
He's not the Messiah, he's just a naughty boy.
:D :D

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Batnoe

plugger66 wrote:
Where is reincarnated? He was a bit of fun. You seem to know him. We need him back.
He's banned.. I thought he would be back by now as has been over 6 weeks. He is funny, and is genuine

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he is a fkn god or anything.
He has made a couple of errors.

We lost a damn GF ffs. That is an almighty fail right there.

However, I respect him.
I think he is a really hard nosed bastard who takes shyte from no one.

He coaches to win games of footy.

Doesnt carry too much ego.

Has managed, (along with his assistant coaches of course) some definitive improvement out of some former fringe players.

I think he will get us another shot at a flag.

I also think he could see us through a period of sustained success.

I'm no fanboi.

If he wins us a flag I will wash his cars once a week for the rest of his life.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can I worship you instead plugger until we win a flag? :idea:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

I wouldnt waste your time. You will be that far back in the line you will never bow to me.

Milton66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

I wouldnt waste your time. You will be that far back in the line you will never bow to me.
I'm glad you said that. I was getting a little insecure cousin66.

I love you.

Truly

Deeply

Madly

linz
Club Player

I don't think our supporters have ever been behind a coach more than Lyon.

He is a no Bullshyt type who knows he is employed to win Premierships.

So far he has failed (and that will sting) but it will only make him even more pragmatic. He knows what his job is.

It's not about being popular; it's about winning flags. A FOREIGN CONCEPT AT ST KILDA.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Milton66
SS Life Member

linz wrote:I don't think our supporters have ever been behind a coach more than Lyon.

He is a no Bullshyt type who knows he is employed to win Premierships.

So far he has failed (and that will sting) but it will only make him even more pragmatic. He knows what his job is.

It's not about being popular; it's about winning flags. A FOREIGN CONCEPT AT ST KILDA.
Correct. I also think that the right admin has a lot to do iwth it in the sense that they give him licence to do what he believes is best.

I cannot help but reacll a few years ago when the interstate teams were dominating...

The point was raised back then that one advantage the new teams had is that they were not burdened by history and tradition like Vic clubs.

As a result, they ran their clubs differently.

And it appears that we are finally doing the same. Forget the hogwash about the fabric of the club... nothing binds a club as strongly as a flag and ongoing success.

Clarkson made some massive list changes incl Thompson etc. Won the flag. Ask any Hawks supporter about their passion levels.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

This isn't hero worship. The guy is doing a good job. That's it.

sydney saint
Club Player

Ross Lyon did an excellent job last season to get Saints to win a minor premiership & only lose 3 games the whole season speaks for itself. Without the great Robert Harvey too.The job is not done yet after the disappointment of a grand final loss only a premiership will ease the pain. He makes the tough decisions but I don't necessary agree with them . Probably going to be howled at but I think Max should have played in the grand final . Our tactics in the last quarter were questionable going long. I don't know whether it was the players not carrying out the game plan or it was Ross's idea. Ball should have been given more game time in the grand final . The conditions suited him & he was playing well. Demster selection was questionable. I agree with Lyon's stance on Ball . He was $600k & on performance clearly could not stay on that money. In modern day who have to rotate the midfield & unfortunately that meant less game time for Ball & less money . Lyon just told it how it was. I don't think he is imfallable but he is doing something right . I hope 2010 success comes.