Still mourning... anyone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HarveysDeciple

Last time we made it in 97 we thought we'd back again straight away.

But we had sort of come from nowehere, their was some off field turmoil, and I have recently watched games from that season that show we were a bit fragile and had some guys with questionable composure under pressure, key players mind you, not fringe players.

This time however we have been up for 5 years or so, seemed to be building to this for ages, and the group tends to realise the hard work required.

That doesn't mean you automatically get back again, takes heaps of hard work, but I feel the platform is a hell of a lot better.

ben_fff
Club Player

As soon as Rooke lined up for that final shot I couldn't watch, I still haven't seen any footage from the grand final and it took me a good 2 weeks to even look at the sports pages in the papers, It hurts more because unlike the finals loses we've had in recent history I know we weren't found out... it's also what gives me confidence going into 2010, I've never had so much faith in the coaching staff at St Kilda as I do now, I pray in the near future we have our chance again.

I ran into some geelong supporters at the Espy a couple of weeks ago who started giving it to me, that really hurt.

SaintDebi
Club Player

Funny. If we'd won I'd want to hang onto it as long as I could, but seeing the Geelong fans still basking in it makes me mad.
A customer came in yesterday wearing her Geelong Premiers 2009 T shirt, and I couldn't help but comment to my (cats fan) co-worker that you can only get away with wearing that for so long before you just look like a bogan.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Funny. If we'd won I'd want to hang onto it as long as I could, but seeing the Geelong fans still basking in it makes me mad.
A customer came in yesterday wearing her Geelong Premiers 2009 T shirt, and I couldn't help but comment to my (cats fan) co-worker that you can only get away with wearing that for so long before you just look like a bogan.
problem is SaintDebi being a PREMIERSHIP bogan would be a tag I could carry............... :(

saint4life
Joffa 5
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:One HD was replaying the GF last Saturday, watched it to 3/4 time.
I thought I was dealing with it OK now until I saw this in the TV guide. I clicked on the AFL Premiership Season 2009 link and read the blurb about the game to find out it was the GF. "Can the Saints finish off a stellar season... Can the Cats stamp their authority on 3 years blah blah blah". That bitter disappointment washed over me and I felt sick to the stomach. Had to go outside and find something to do.

Such a wasted opportunity :cry:

SaintDebi
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
SaintDebi wrote:Funny. If we'd won I'd want to hang onto it as long as I could, but seeing the Geelong fans still basking in it makes me mad.
problem is SaintDebi being a PREMIERSHIP bogan would be a tag I could carry............... :(
Yeah, but you wouldn't BE a bogan if it was OUR premiership and OUR T shirt. :wink: It was just the whole Geelong thing :evil:

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I was in a shop today and they played "Holy Grail", not something you expect to hear in Qld and guess what? I burst into tears and left very quickly :oops: :(

Qld Saints Supporter Group
matrix
Saintsational Legend

mourning about what?
whats this about?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:mourning about what?
whats this about?
yep. welcome back. :wink:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I was in a shop today and they played "Holy Grail", not something you expect to hear in Qld and guess what? I burst into tears and left very quickly :oops: :(
Oh Bev. You poor thing. Just get excited for 12 months from now.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
whats this about?
cheers Milan
soooo
what we on about??
:D

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Last time we made it in 97 we thought we'd back again straight away.

But we had sort of come from nowehere, their was some off field turmoil, and I have recently watched games from that season that show we were a bit fragile and had some guys with questionable composure under pressure, key players mind you, not fringe players.

This time however we have been up for 5 years or so, seemed to be building to this for ages, and the group tends to realise the hard work required.

That doesn't mean you automatically get back again, takes heaps of hard work, but I feel the platform is a hell of a lot better.
The whole organisation is better. Even calling St Kilda Football Club an organisation shows that we are more savvy, more sophisticated, have better admin, better coaching and a more professional playing group because of all of these things. It's all up to the boys in 2010.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
whats this about?
cheers Milan
soooo
what we on about??
:D
eat, drink and be merry and look ahead

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i love it!!
go u saints :)

go sixers :twisted:

saintnick12
Club Player

SaintHomer wrote:To those of you who watch a replay of losing grand finals, you're far better supporters than me. Thats something I can't and won't ever do.

Brings back to much pain and too many what ifs!

2010....... pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeee be the year!
I have watched the replay. Not recently, but still haven't deleted from the IQ yet. I'm a bit of a masochist in that way. I actually watched the last 10 minutes or so that night. I had to see for myself exactly what happened. I was there and had great seats, but for some reason needed to see it again...call me crazy. Then like lots of others have said, I had lots of nights where I woke up going through all the what ifs etc, dreaming it was different, which of course it never will be.
My two year old was obsessed with the footage of the boys crying after the game and kept putting in on the IQ and then going up to them and saying - "Go Saints - Are you ok??" Was very cute but also heartbreaking. He is over it now, thank god. I still haven't deleted it yet. Not that I plan to watch it, but I might, so have kept it. Will probably end up deleting in when the new season comes around so that I can fit more games on. I go every week (in Melbourne), but I always watch every game again at least once or twice again during the week. The perspective is quite different from being there I find.

Have found the last few weeks with the whole Goose and Ball saga very depressing. I am one with a number 14 jumper (well my two year old does), and I feel really hurt and sad, and confused by the whole thing. I want to dislike him, but somehow can't bring myself to... its a strange feeling. I don't really want him to do well, but I find it hard to wish him ill too.

I am looking forward to the new season with expectation that we will do well, and looking forward to another season of immersing myself in all things Saints. Can't imagine that this will feel any better until the season starts again. And even if we win every game (which is unlikely), none of us will be able to be satisfied until we win the big one. The picture of the boys holding the cup will keep us all going...how great will it be....lets hope 2010 is our year. We've waited long enough....

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Good post. Seeing your child's reaction would be shattering.

I have kept "The Winners" version of the GF on my IQ and slowly watched it over a two week period but one month after the game. It wasn't easy. One day I will watch the full game. Maybe after we win the 2010 flag. Then the 2009 GF will be a development video. :wink:

saintnick12
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:Good post. Seeing your child's reaction would be shattering.

I have kept "The Winners" version of the GF on my IQ and slowly watched it over a two week period but one month after the game. It wasn't easy. One day I will watch the full game. Maybe after we win the 2010 flag. Then the 2009 GF will be a development video. :wink:
Yep, it was. He just couldn't stand to see them so sad. Neither could I. It was only when Nick spoke that I finally shed a tear myself. I did not take the two year old with me to the game, but I also have a 14 year old who I did take with me. He was very upset after the game, but not crying. It was more distressing for me to see him during the game. He was so stressed and his stomach was so upset, he kept going to the toilet...he must have gone about 10 times. I'm sure the people in our row were getting pretty annoyed (sorry to anyone in M7 Row 0)...lol.. There was a young boy in the row behind us with Downs Syndrome...about the same age as my son. And he was so, so upset at the end of the game...that was so sad. My son said he found that even sader, that this boy was just wailing as he was so upset. Having said that, I've never seen him as excited as he was when we won the prelim. Sort of makes it all worth it, doesn't it. Will make it all the more rewarding when we do finally get there.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:Good post. Seeing your child's reaction would be shattering.

Yep, it was. He just couldn't stand to see them so sad. Neither could I. It was only when Nick spoke that I finally shed a tear myself. I did not take the two year old with me to the game, but I also have a 14 year old who I did take with me. He was very upset after the game, but not crying. It was more distressing for me to see him during the game. He was so stressed and his stomach was so upset, he kept going to the toilet...he must have gone about 10 times. I'm sure the people in our row were getting pretty annoyed (sorry to anyone in M7 Row 0)...lol.. There was a young boy in the row behind us with Downs Syndrome...about the same age as my son. And he was so, so upset at the end of the game...that was so sad. My son said he found that even sader, that this boy was just wailing as he was so upset. Having said that, I've never seen him as excited as he was when we won the prelim. Sort of makes it all worth it, doesn't it. Will make it all the more rewarding when we do finally get there.
That sounds like a tough day. I was actually nowhere near as upset as I was in 97. I am quite ill at the moment as some on the site know and I was pretty crook on GF day but seeing how devastated Lenny was from close range, really put some perspective on things. They busted their butts and they will be back.

saintnick12
Club Player

Yep, the cracking in Roo's voice when he spoke, and the footage of Lenny and Joey talking after the game was haunting. They did seem to take it harder than other teams have over the years. We can only hope it does make them stronger as the official line has been. I was not there in 97 - watched it at home. Both times the over riding emotion was emptiness. Completely shellshocked and just empty.

Ps. Sorry to hear that you have not been well. I was not aware. Agreed that other things in life certainly do put all of this footy stuff into perspective. Certainly has been the case for me.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Yep, the cracking in Roo's voice when he spoke, and the footage of Lenny and Joey talking after the game was haunting. They did seem to take it harder than other teams have over the years. We can only hope it does make them stronger as the official line has been. I was not there in 97 - watched it at home. Both times the over riding emotion was emptiness. Completely shellshocked and just empty.

Ps. Sorry to hear that you have not been well. I was not aware. Agreed that other things in life certainly do put all of this footy stuff into perspective. Certainly has been the case for me.
Thanks. Give me more time on the forum :wink:

saintnick12
Club Player

True. Am laid up myself for the next few weeks due to some off season surgery, so here's hoping things will be interesting around here....lol...

Sitting home and resting completely is not as exciting as it sounds.... :wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I had the same reaction as your 2 yr old saintnick12
I just wanted them to be alright.. :(

the tightness in the chest and sadnes comes when I see Luke or Matty's faces I didn't cry after the game but hearing their news did make me..
that they wont be there as the team goes around again......
which they will -

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

ThoUght I was finially over it until a doctor who happens to be a rabid cats supporter relived every moment in summary after I hadn't caught up with him since the game... :roll:

felt that knot in my stomach retighten all over again :shock:

..in short..

STILL PISSED OFF!!!!! :evil: :x :evil:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:ThoUght I was finially over it until a doctor who happens to be a rabid cats supporter relived every moment in summary after I hadn't caught up with him since the game... :roll:

..in short..

Bloody doctors. Couldn't think of anything worse than being sick, going to a doctor, and they go on about Geelong. That absoluely sucks :x

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:ThoUght I was finially over it until a doctor who happens to be a rabid cats supporter relived every moment in summary after I hadn't caught up with him since the game... :roll:

..in short..

did he take Blood pressure before or after his conversation....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107