Nick Heyne v Tom Lynch (1) !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Nick Heyne v Tom Lynch (1) !!

I think it is a good exercise to line two players up side by side and guage opinions on who could be the better in 2010.

I picked Heyne v Lynch because both play a similar role (HFF for the purpose of this exercise), both are yet to debut and both had a full year of development at Sandi in 2009.

I got to see ONE Sandi game for the year (flogged Casey by over 100 points). Both played reasonable games that day. I would have Nick Heyne just in front at this point ONLY because he had that one "Breakout" game where he kicked 5 goals, earning him a mention in the emergencies for the Hawthorn game in Tassie.

There would be plenty on here who have seen much more of these two than I who might be able to enlighten us on their various merits. It would be nice if we could keep the discussion reasonably civil and reasonably positive

If this idea takes off I'll add more "head to head" discussions over summer !!
Last edited by Eastern on Sat 28 Nov 2009 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Good post, some nice dicussion to have over the off season.

For arguments sake, I am going to say Lynch. I saw about 4-5 sandi games, in which I felt Lynch was fairly consistant throughout. I felt that he contributed for the majority of these games, where as Heyne I felt was patchy at times. In 2010, I think Lynch will have more influence over our season.

Carpe Diem
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Good post, some nice dicussion to have over the off season.

For arguments sake, I am going to say Lynch. I saw about 4-5 sandi games, in which I felt Lynch was fairly consistant throughout. I felt that he contributed for the majority of these games, where as Heyne I felt was patchy at times. In 2010, I think Lynch will have more influence over our season.

Carpe Diem
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

G'day Eastern...

I think both are probably a year off regular first-team football - but due to positional requirements, would have Lynch slightly ahead of Heyne atm. Tommy plays that lead-up 3rd tall role, whilst Heyne is more of a flanker who can push up on to the wings and take his turn in the middle. Lynch was a fair bit more consistent this year, and on several occasions was racking up games with >18 disposals, >10 marks & a couple of goals - not to mention his excellent defensive pressure. If Heyne can lift his work rate and consistency across the whole 4 quarters, he'll be a terrific contributor in 2011 and beyond.

The Saints are coming!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think Lynch is a fair way ahead of heyne even though heyne was an emergency twice this year and I dont think Lynch was. Lynch is more of a lead up marking forward where as heyne is an old fanished HFF which is avery hard position to be consistant in.

Junior
Club Player

I would go with Lynch at this stage. Saw 4-5 Sandy games this year and he was very consistent.

They are very different players.

Heyne I reckon has more natural ability but is inconsistent and appears to be cruising along.

Lynch is just a good honest player a real workhorse.

I have high hopes for both and reckon both are capable of playing in 2010, but would be looking for them to dominate at VFL level next year with the odd senior game.

Hoping we are going to have a hard side to break into.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Tommy V Tommy may be the more appropriate one. It seems both will be vying for the "3rd tall forward" posi next year, although I sincerely hope Goddard plays that role for most of the year (with Jesse Smith playing across half back).
It's great to have a few young guys to look forward to with real optimism again, though, for the first time in a few years.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintnick12
Club Player

Its definately great to be reading about about our up and coming players and how they are going. I've enjoyed reading the updates from people who've actually seen them play. Great idea for a different thread Eastern. Quite a change from reading about Luke Ball. :wink:
I never get the chance to go to any VFL games. My 14 year old plays so much sport, that its hard enough to get to all the Saints games around that. However, hopefully next year, things will settle down a bit and I will get to few VFL games. Would love to see how some of our young up and comers are going. Hopefully a few of them will get a game during the year. Most likely we might see a few in the NAB cup.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Heyne vs Lynch is a pretty interesting one, they are two different players but they both provide something we had a shortage of in the later parts of the season, goal scoring ability...

Tom Lynch is exactly what we need for the here and now, he could have a Ben McKinley type second season and kick 30+ goals for us, that would be absolutely fantastic... Nick Heyne on the other hand can play a Steve Johnson type role, but as others have touched on he hasn't really shown the consistency required in the VFL to have his name up for serious consideration in the starting 22.

It is also important to remember that Heyne and Lynch have just completed their first year of RL's 4 year apprenticeships...

If Lynch and Heyne were to follow RL's blueprint they should play 6 or less games in 2010 but show enough to suggest that they have a future....

Jeez... aren't Sandy going to have an exciting forward line next season...

HF: N.Heyne B.McEvoy J.Steven
FF: T.Walsh N.Sautner T.Lynch

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!