emma quayle says saints will be going downhill in 2 years,.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

emma quayle says saints will be going downhill in 2 years,.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... -jyed.html

The draft: who won?EMMA QUAYLE
. . .

PUTTING IT ALL ON THE LINE I felt bad for John Peake, the St Kilda recruiting manager. He spends all year watching games, watching tapes and interviewing kids and they only let him pick two fresh players. The Saints had better win their flag in the next couple of years, because I’m worried about what will be left when their current team starts to shed players.
Last edited by saintly on Sun 29 Nov 2009 7:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

ANy relation between the title of this thread and the contents of the OP are purely co-incidental :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Top4King
Club Player

proving yet again that emma is selfish, inconsiderate, irresponsible and only half as smart as she thinks she is. how many did she get right this year i forgot to look?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Disagree...
Kosi, Roo , Fisherand Hayes have atleast 2-3 years...
Then our core of Dal, Goddard, Montagna etc. all have 5 or so years...

As long as we pick up one or two good youngsters a year and we continue their development we don't even need to bottom out...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

do you people actually comprehend articles.

as for yet another personal attack on a journalist , who just happens to be female

she wrote an opinion , get over it

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plus gilbs, cj, steven and geary coming thru

what the hell is she on?
pass it around ffs

Top4King
Club Player

Armoooo has "OFFICIALLY" disregarded Quayle!! :shock:
Can we make this a Sticky :lol:

now, can we get down to what her duty is at The Age? what does she do there other than inspire male hatred over the boiler with Wilson, Hardy and Co. I mean what does she actually do? Is it just to pick the bones out of The Draft annually because I'm stumped! Maybe she could hang out with plugger66 and look at bwoys all day. That would get her away from the computer for a while.

RANT OVER.

Top4King
Club Player

NAB Australia Pty Ltd
Loan Application
Amount: One Million Dollars
Applicant: Emma Quayle
Employer: Fairfax
Reason for Loan: I Dont Know What Do You Reckon

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:Armoooo has "OFFICIALLY" disregarded Quayle!! :shock:
Can we make this a Sticky :lol:

now, can we get down to what her duty is at The Age? what does she do there other than inspire male hatred over the boiler with Wilson, Hardy and Co. I mean what does she actually do? Is it just to pick the bones out of The Draft annually because I'm stumped! Maybe she could hang out with plugger66 and look at bwoys all day. That would get her away from the computer for a while.

RANT OVER.
ahh that confirms you are OneGram, Bayside Saint etc etc in your new persona :roll:

IMHO..drivel :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: emma quayle says the saints will be bad in 2 years,.

saintly wrote:
. He spends all year watching games, watching tapes and interviewing kids and they only let him pick two fresh players. .
Emma normally knows her stuff..BUT

1/ Who does Emma think made the recommedation at the Saints that late in the draft that there was not much around???? And hence to have a look at more "recycleds" = Peake.

2/ Rookie Draft...

Also while praising the Cats approach she has been completely oblivious that as they have maxed out their salray cap that and so about the only way that they could go was for kids who are cheap.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintersss
Club Player

She is right. Yeah sure we have a few young players coming through, but compared to most clubs it is nothing.
Our core is now 26-27 and are entering their twighlight in the next couple of years.
But who cares because we are going all out for the next 2-3 years and hopefully we will get one or even two premierships before bottoming out.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Emma is probably the best journo in regards to knowledge of the U/18 comp & the National Draft.

She has simply taken the populist line that we have traded our future away. She's also probably right that John Peake work's his arse off to find the best young talent but hasn't been able to show that through multiple picks like other club recruiters have.

I'm sure he would have been part of the decision making that assessed that Jesse Smith was a better option than the kids remaining at pick 60. He also would have made the call that any kids undrafted at that point would most likely get through to the rookie draft with all of the rookie upgrades that followed.

I wouldn't be surprised if her comment was based on the angle of only picking 2 under 18's and how that was a very limited outcome for all the work that Peake & his team would have done during 2009. It's clear that she didn't base that comment with any research of our list.

To the top
SS Life Member

I would defer to what I have contributed under the subject '"2010 best team injuries allowing", where I refer specifically to transition.

No doubt, in regards the key attacking position super stars being Riewoldt and Koschitzke, we need careful management recognising that our success and lack of father/son options impedes because we do not get first look at the best talent.

We have been contenders late into September since 2004 inclusive.

Therefore my interest in the progression of the likes of Lynch and our rucking resources (McEvoy, Stanley and McGrath) providing a key forward option.

The loss of Allen will be felt - as have been the losses of Watts and Brooks, each of whom suffered significant injury.

Plus there are the likes of Cahill with his dimensions indicating a key position is not out of the question.

With the mids - well, Jones is a case in point in concluding that they can come from a variety of sources.

It is the key forwards who stand apart and particularly when you have a Riewoldt AND a Koschitzke.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I dont necessarily agree...

If she was to look at the ages of players on our list, on paper we have a pretty good spread across the board. Sure our key play makers are getting older but IMO we have the youth developing beneath them to become possible replacements. If you look at the current players who are aged 27 or older they all potentially have players in waiting -

Reiwoldt = Walsh/Lynch
Hayes = Winmar/Allistair SMITH
Kosi = Lynch/Cahill
Gardiner = Stanley/Pattison
King = McEvoy/McGrath
Fisher = Gilbert/Simpkin
Milne = Stevens/Heyne
Baker = Miles/Geary
Blake = Clarke/Dempster/Gwilt
Lovett = Winmar

IMO however we still need a couple more quality midfielders who are quick running ball carriers heading into the future.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

look it's an interesting quote from a well researched journalist.

With the next 3-5 years out this was the last half decient draft that you can take some young talent. The rookie list needs to be well managed or trades created to keep young talent coming through. I would not want the 2009 draft to become the norm but it's a tricky situation to be in as the runner up.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BallBanger
Club Player

Re: I dont necessarily agree...

WinnersOnly wrote:If she was to look at the ages of players on our list, on paper we have a pretty good spread across the board. Sure our key play makers are getting older but IMO we have the youth developing beneath them to become possible replacements. If you look at the current players who are aged 27 or older they all potentially have players in waiting -

Reiwoldt = Walsh/Lynch
Kosi = Lynch/Cahill
King = McEvoy/McGrath
Fisher = Gilbert/Simpkin
Milne = Stevens/Heyne
Baker = Miles/Geary
Lovett = Winmar

IMO however we still need a couple more quality midfielders who are quick running ball carriers heading into the future.
If these players are going to carry us though the next decade then surely you would expect sandy to win more games with all these potential (ex low draft picks/rookies) guns

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: I dont necessarily agree...

BallBanger wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:If she was to look at the ages of players on our list, on paper we have a pretty good spread across the board. Sure our key play makers are getting older but IMO we have the youth developing beneath them to become possible replacements. If you look at the current players who are aged 27 or older they all potentially have players in waiting -

Reiwoldt = Walsh/Lynch
Kosi = Lynch/Cahill
King = McEvoy/McGrath
Fisher = Gilbert/Simpkin
Milne = Stevens/Heyne
Baker = Miles/Geary
Lovett = Winmar

If these players are going to carry us though the next decade then surely you would expect sandy to win more games with all these potential (ex low draft picks/rookies) guns
Stay tuned BallBanger lets see what transpires this year.

That is basically the difference between high draft selections and low draft or rookie drafted players. The high draft players are talented and ready to go types, whereas the lower drafted players need time to develop their bodies and skills. Thats not to say that they wont become very good players, they require different management.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

saintly wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... -jyed.html

. . .

PUTTING IT ALL ON THE LINE I felt bad for John Peake, the St Kilda recruiting manager. He spends all year watching games, watching tapes and interviewing kids and they only let him pick two fresh players. The Saints had better win their flag in the next couple of years, because I’m worried about what will be left when their current team starts to shed players.
Come on guys, she has a point. Our list isn't technically a young list and our premiership chance is NOW. No more of this three year window rubbish, our time is now because in the next year or two, there is every chance we'll be on the decline and Lyon knows it. Yes, it's a big risk to recruit experience over youth in this years draft, especially with the two new franchises, but Lyon is no fool. If our time is now, you recruit for now.

I would happily spend the next five, even ten years in development, as long as we had a flag to cap off well-deserved era.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saintnick12
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Disagree...
Kosi, Roo , Fisherand Hayes have atleast 2-3 years...
Then our core of Dal, Goddard, Montagna etc. all have 5 or so years...

As long as we pick up one or two good youngsters a year and we continue their development we don't even need to bottom out...
We will be hoping for more than 2 to 3 years left for Roo seeing as he has a contract for the next 4 years (to the end of 2013). I don't know if Lenny and Kosi will make it that far, but one would hope that Nick will. It will be very expensive otherwise.

saintnick12
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:

. . .

Come on guys, she has a point. Our list isn't technically a young list and our premiership chance is NOW. No more of this three year window rubbish, our time is now because in the next year or two, there is every chance we'll be on the decline and Lyon knows it. Yes, it's a big risk to recruit experience over youth in this years draft, especially with the two new franchises, but Lyon is no fool. If our time is now, you recruit for now.

I would happily spend the next five, even ten years in development, as long as we had a flag to cap off well-deserved era.
Agreed. We have to take our chance while it is here. MOst supporters would agree, that if we are able to get a flag in this period, that will help us get through any down periods that follow. We have to go all out to get that flag (or two in the next two years). Most premiership teams go through similar things not long after their period of dominance - eg Westcoast, Brisbane Lions. Brisbane did not bottom out but they were much lower down the table. I have lots of Brisbane Lion supporters in my family who were more than happy with the three flags and prepared for a few tougher years before being genuine challengers again.

ace
Saintsational Legend

. . .

Dear Emma it is a draft and salary cap competition.
Clubs have two choices.
They can be competitive every year in the home and away games and maybe squeeze into the finals.
It temporarily placates impatient egotistical club presidents and sponsors.
It does not produce premierships.
This is what Kevin Sheedy did during the naughties to retain his job.

The other alternative is to cycle.
Sacrifice some years to assemble a team of young early draft picks then as they climb the ladder trade draft picks for even more of the same age group.
Then you have team that has a premiership window.
You may make it or you may not.
But you will never make it if you don't stick to the plan.

In St Kilda's case that plan requires players who can add to the team now not kids with 5 years development to their peaks.
St Kilda's window will close as Gold Coast's and West Sydney's windows open.
When their windows close St Kilda's next window should open.

Well done St Kilda recruiters, Lovett and hopefully Smith meet the plan.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I understand her opinion and I guess against perhaps the amount of young talent other clubs have stockpiled (Geelong again this year) it could be argued we may struggle when Hayes/Roo/Kosi et al go.

Lyon has backed the here and now which I also understand....but geez......last time we were here and now we didnt get another shot for 13 yrs....

Mind you its interesting that Smith is only 23, Pattison 23 (have copped a heap of cr@p off mates for this selection...) so while they arent kids.....they arent 28.

I guess is we get 1 flag at least in the next couple of years you could argue its paid off? .....however, 2 would be in the realms of this group IMHO.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

IMO it doesn't give enough credit to our 22-23 year olds like Gilbert, Ray, Raph, McQualter etc...who I see no reason why they cannot become the next core group, leading the likes of Armitage, Lynch, Steven and Geary.

Expiration dates are for produce, not player lists :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It's all well and good to go on about loading up on kids. However if this was a weak draft, and it was almost universally accepted that it was, and if our first pick isn't til 32, then you just don't go and get kids for the sake of it. What's the point if you're just going to delist them 2 years down the track?

We did take a kid at 32, however when your next picks are in the 60s, well you just do what you think is best for the club. I don't have problem with that.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Quayle is a goose !

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!