Brad howard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Brad howard

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page ... onID=56333

In other news around the traps Redland hope to secure the services of recently delisted St Kilda rookie Brad Howard. The former Redland/Toowoomba product was drafted at selection 27 of the 2006 NAB National Draft but may chose to stay in Melbourne for the 2010 season

Labrador appear to have lost 2009 Best and Fairest winner Jordan Doering with speculation he is returning to Melbourne whilst fellow Gold Coast club Broadbeach have re signed key duo Wade Dickson and Dayne Zorko. Ex Southport/Broadbeach tall Nick Barling is training at Mt Gravatt at the moment and a number of clubs are still on the trail of former Brisbane Lion Scott Clouston who may be pursuing a future in the NFL

ace
Saintsational Legend

Gone and forgotten like Johnny.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not one of JB's best selections...maybe this is why Ross is so keen to trade off our picks in this range :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I know a lot of people over the years have had a go at Howard who has now left the Saints after a stint on the senior list and another as a rookie. Unfortunately in the end he simply didn’t have sufficient talent to make the grade. However that’s not his fault and he shouldn’t be bagged for it. He was just one of thousands of kids across the country who took up the sport and did fairly well at junior level and dreamed of playing AFL footy. He didn’t draft St. Kilda; we drafted him. I’ve heard nothing to suggest he didn’t give it his best shot and that’s all you can ask. From all reports he would have got drafted by another club if we hadn’t and he’d probably be in the same boat.

He may have been taken a bit early but ultimately it’s all a lottery and there are many top 10 picks from clubs that have also failed. As long as they try to the best of their ability I don’t have a problem. I get more annoyed at the Cayden Beetham types who get picked early, get senior games and then just give it away.

At the end of the day Brad was one of many hundreds of players who have spent time on the St. Kilda list; he gave it his best shot and I wish him all the best for the future.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Well put. I second Dr Spaceman.

Sam23
SS Life Member

It was one of the worst draft picks in recent history imo.

Could not believe we took him so early probably still would've been around in the rookie draft.

Nothing against him tho, he was just a rubbish footballer (in comparison to other football players at the top level.)

Goddard.
saintlee
Club Player

Sam23 wrote:It was one of the worst draft picks in recent history imo.

Could not believe we took him so early probably still would've been around in the rookie draft.

Nothing against him tho, he was just a rubbish footballer (in comparison to other football players at the top level.)
Agreed.....another one for the dust-bin of history...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I know a lot of people over the years have had a go at Howard who has now left the Saints after a stint on the senior list and another as a rookie. Unfortunately in the end he simply didn’t have sufficient talent to make the grade. However that’s not his fault and he shouldn’t be bagged for it. He was just one of thousands of kids across the country who took up the sport and did fairly well at junior level and dreamed of playing AFL footy. He didn’t draft St. Kilda; we drafted him. I’ve heard nothing to suggest he didn’t give it his best shot and that’s all you can ask. From all reports he would have got drafted by another club if we hadn’t and he’d probably be in the same boat.

He may have been taken a bit early but ultimately it’s all a lottery and there are many top 10 picks from clubs that have also failed. As long as they try to the best of their ability I don’t have a problem. I get more annoyed at the Cayden Beetham types who get picked early, get senior games and then just give it away.

At the end of the day Brad was one of many hundreds of players who have spent time on the St. Kilda list; he gave it his best shot and I wish him all the best for the future.
Good post!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:It was one of the worst draft picks in recent history imo.

Yes Sam, I remember we sat next to each other and watched him play at the dome and couldn't believe he was running and carrying the ball at the back of his neck and got pinged for holding the ball :shock:

He might have had pace, but to me he lacked big time in the skill department

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Most on here wanted to take Clayton Collard

Furtius Quo Rdelious
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

There was this big thing that Brad Howard was being treated harshly by supporters because of his high draft pick.

Incorrect.

The frustration arose not over why we took Howard, but why we took him so high when he was clearly going to be around later (there really is no dispute to this). It was never personal - he didn't choose to get picked so highly.

If we wanted him, we could've taken him very late. There was some vague whisper that went around in the day before the draft that the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood were considering him for a rookie spot.

Maybe they would have. But we could have used pick 109 if we were that keen, surely.

My argument at the time was that there was still significant talent around at that pick. At the time, the guys that were widely fancied - Ricky Petterd, Clayton Collard, Bachar Houli, Alwyn Davey, Jarryd Morton - were still around.

Yes, they were all hyped picks, but it's no surprise that most have kicked on to some degree. I suppose Collard is the only real 'flop' of that crop - but the odds were still pretty good (for the record, if I had the call, I would have gone for Petterd).

JB was going through a period at the time where it looked like he was trying to always find a 'hidden gem' that nobody else could get.

Now that's fine, because when he did it with Justin Sweeney and James Gwilt, both were late picks. But you don't muck around with any top 50-60 picks in my view.

Save the punting for late in the draft. It will save everyone - the club, the player, the fans - a lot of bother they could do without. Don't try and be a genius at the draft table - just get the best kids you can and if you want to gamble, gamble late - like we have done this year with Will Johnson.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

To the top
SS Life Member

What about Raymond, Connor, Pfitzner, McDonnell just for starters?

None of the foregoing got an AFL game.

Then McGeough and a raft of other players we took from other clubs?

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with most of what you say there efc.

I never want to hear again, "We took player x because team y were interested"

All I want to hear is "We took player x because he was the best available"

Furtius Quo Rdelious
BallBanger
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:Most on here wanted to take Clayton Collard
Crap, one person maybe everton mentioned collard but if you look at players drafted after him you would have been unlucky to miss...

Howard himself was not to blame nor was he abused on here...it was a very dumb choice by our recruiters to take him that early...

I still cannot believe that a professional group would take an unknown in a good draft at pick 27...when at best footscray were maybe looking at rookie listing him.

It was never mentioned anywhere that other clubs were looking at him other than one of our forumites trying to cover for their stupidity..

No expert including sheehan new who he was when drafted as i was listening live.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hi to all you hindsight recruiters. How is Andrew Mackie going at geelong. Brad Howard didnt work out and yes we could have got him later but does anyone know who we would have picked next. They may not have played a game at all. Easy in hindsight.

Sam23
SS Life Member

lol plugger you big idiot.

I'm not fussed by the pick of Howard is we really wanted him we could've got him round 4 or something in the draft.

There was no need to draft him at pick 27. Nobody knows on who we would've got next or how they would've gone but it was a risk on Howard that we did not need to take.

Goddard.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:lol plugger you big idiot.

I'm not fussed by the pick of Howard is we really wanted him we could've got him round 4 or something in the draft.

There was no need to draft him at pick 27. Nobody knows on who we would've got next or how they would've gone but it was a risk on Howard that we did not need to take.
How do you actually know that. Have you spoken to every other club. In hindsight we should not have picked him up at all let alone round 4 but then again why did we get ferg at pick 24 or even X at pick 5 or Bally at pick 2 and maybe even Raph at pick 8 and why did we take so long to pick up Sam Fisher or Leigh Montagna or Sam Gilbert. Everything is easy in hindsight and clubs, all clubs, make errors.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
why did we get ferg at pick 24 or even X at pick 5 or Bally at pick 2 and maybe even Raph at pick 8 and why did we take so long to pick up Sam Fisher or Leigh Montagna or Sam Gilbert. Everything is easy in hindsight and clubs, all clubs, make errors.
You will need different examples to support your case...as all of those picks were there-about selections.

Gilbert and Sam have turned out to be very good players but they were taken in the draft about where they would have been expected to be.

Howard was considered then to be a rookie selection and if another club had taken him early too it would have just meant that got it wildly wrong too.

I actually stuck up for JB at the time..I was wrong.

BallBanger
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Sam23 wrote:lol plugger you big idiot.

How do you actually know that. Have you spoken to every other club. In hindsight we should not have picked him up at all let alone round 4 but then again why did we get ferg at pick 24 or even X at pick 5 or Bally at pick 2 and maybe even Raph at pick 8 and why did we take so long to pick up Sam Fisher or Leigh Montagna or Sam Gilbert. Everything is easy in hindsight and clubs, all clubs, make errors.
Nothing to do with hindsight...would have not been indifferent if we had taken Will Johnson pick 16 in a weak draft just gone.
I can't believe plugger that your vey large ego is not matched by your brain

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
why did we get ferg at pick 24 or even X at pick 5 or Bally at pick 2 and maybe even Raph at pick 8 and why did we take so long to pick up Sam Fisher or Leigh Montagna or Sam Gilbert. Everything is easy in hindsight and clubs, all clubs, make errors.
You will need different examples to support your case...as all of those picks were there-about selections.

Gilbert and Sam have turned out to be very good players but they were taken in the draft about where they would have been expected to be.

Howard was considered then to be a rookie selection and if another club had taken him early too it would have just meant that got it wildly wrong too.

I actually stuck up for JB at the time..I was wrong.
Alright I will use the first one i mentioned. Andrew Mackie. Then we can go the other way, Moylan to Melbourne early didnt play a game. Easy in hindsight and also easy to say Howard was considered a rookie selection and the others you mentioned were to go around their picks but who said that. Was it you because like other things you mention as fact are sometimes fiction mentioned by yourself enough that you think it is fact.

To the top
SS Life Member

From memory the major concern at the time we drafted Howard (apart from the rucks!) was pace.

We were perceived as being slow (and we were!) and we set out to add some running of the lines ability to our list - hence Howard who was drafted on his athletic ability - and the assessments that he could become an AFL footballer.

Others have improved to give us the mid-field we have today although the trading for Lovett and Peake (and the comments on Miles) show we still have deficiencies and the search continues for players who can run the lines.

So, in the transition, Howard has slipped off the List - and I reckon the likes of Milne, Baker, McQualter and Blake will be under scrutiny - and, hopefully, under pressure from those who can bring the abilities of those 4 PLUS can bring a running of the lines ability.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
. Easy in hindsight and also easy to say Howard was considered a rookie selection and the others you mentioned were to go around their picks but who said that. Was it you because like other things you mention as fact are sometimes fiction mentioned by yourself enough that you think it is fact.
If you are going to imply I am a liar please give specific examples. Otherwise you are just having a cheap shot.

Yes it was me that stuck up for JB at the time. I thought he may have had some inside knowledge as a former St Kilda player was Howard's coach.

St Mart at the time gave the pick a huge bake.
I was wrong. St Mart was right. Howard should have beena late pick ora rookie pick. Pick 27 was way too high...and this is not just on the normal variation of some making it and some not. Put simply since he arrived Howard revealed nothing to indicate why he was a pick 27 except a good turn of speed.

I have no problem admiting when I have wrong.

I have every problem you implying I am a liar. Please give the examples or admit you are making a baseless claim. Or stay quiet and that will be admission enough.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

History is often worth reviewing...

Unlike some I don't regard this as "hindsight" as long as one tests what your saying as to whether it was reasonable, or best practice..

Interesting having a look at JB's own comments from back then:
http://www.westofmoorabbin.com/06Finals ... rade6.html

JB on Howard:

Interviewer: Is he a bit of a smokey?
JB: He didn't nominate for the draft last year
Interviewer: Why was that?
JB: He just didn't think he was ready. So is he a smokey at 27, some people might have been surprised but we were just very attracted by his athleticism and we hope he will be fine.
Interviewer: Is he ready for senior football?
JB: Well that's very hard to tell. Athletically he is, he is only 70 odd kilos so he is a light sort of a guy but he has enough power athletically to play senior.
Interviewer: Some suggestion that Allen might have gone earlier . . .
JB: Some people would feel he has a bit of query below his knees but that is often the case with bigger players and we think he is fine, especially at 59.
. . .

Wasn't looking for this but in light of history is interesting too:

Interviewer: Was Ferguson always locked in?
JB: We decided to do that. He had an ankle op. not too long ago but he has been training with us and with the tallish defensive situations. He has been injured more than he hasn't .... so we think he's due for a change of luck.

mmmm me thinks our more rigourous and analytic approach today is better.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
. Easy in hindsight and also easy to say Howard was considered a rookie selection and the others you mentioned were to go around their picks but who said that. Was it you because like other things you mention as fact are sometimes fiction mentioned by yourself enough that you think it is fact.
If you are going to imply I am a liar please give specific examples. Otherwise you are just having a cheap shot.

Yes it was me that stuck up for JB at the time. I thought he may have had some inside knowledge as a former St Kilda player was Howard's coach.

St Mart at the time gave the pick a huge bake.
I was wrong. St Mart was right. Howard should have beena late pick ora rookie pick. Pick 27 was way too high...and this is not just on the normal variation of some making it and some not. Put simply since he arrived Howard revealed nothing to indicate why he was a pick 27 except a good turn of speed.

I have no problem admiting when I have wrong.

I have every problem you implying I am a liar. Please give the examples or admit you are making a baseless claim. Or stay quiet and that will be admission enough.
Unlike some here who waste their time going over old threads to prove things I will stick by what I said without wasting my time. If you think i am calling you a liar so be it. I actually wasnt though but like some here you do have a habit of mentioned things that you claim as fact but are only fact because you mention them often enough. Anyway how is Andrew Mackie and Moylan going?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
but like some here you do have a habit of mentioned things that you claim as fact but are only fact because you mention them often enough.
rubbish.

I often post my opinion.

Again post examples of what you state.

As you state it is a habit of mine it will be easy for you to vindicate your claim...unless of course you are just full of hot air.