Back up Tall Defenders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Back up Tall Defenders

So tell me again why we offloaded Goose and then drafted a 20 year old back-up key defender? Im still a little confused?

The question is simple. Is WJ a better player/prospect than Goose? Same height. Same position and not a huge discrepancy in age.

Can someone in the know enlighten me?

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

perhaps the age thing,,he`s 20 compared to goose being what 25-26,like alot of the currant line up...Club knows best however :)

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Back up Tall Defenders

Con Gorozidis wrote:So tell me again why we offloaded Goose and then drafted a 20 year old back-up key defender? Im still a little confused?

The question is simple. Is WJ a better player/prospect than Goose? Same height. Same position and not a huge discrepancy in age.

Can someone in the know enlighten me?
Just a guess but i would say one has no upside at all compared to the other.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Maguire is slow, the new guy is meant to be quick and also he hasn't badly broken his leg

Another opportunity awaits!
saintjake
Club Player

Goose wanted out,
there was a contract for him there, but he wanted a fresh start.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king

older saint
SS Life Member

New kid if 5 years younger, has not broken his leg in half, has better agility and speed, and probably i would guess costs less

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It wasnt a sarcastic post either. just like to know from someone in the know. im not pro goose or anything. just like to get a straight answer

like was there a view that gooses leg was stuffed ?
was there a view goose was too slow ?
is there a view this kids might seriously be able to go and is generally more athletic/better prospect already?

id heard the rumour (only a rumour)
that RL did not say a single word to goose in 2 years - hence why he wanted out.

im certainly open to the idea that WJ may well be a smoky and may play 100 + games for the saints.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Club and RL came to the opinion that Goose's leg would never be the same. He wouldn't be able to fit into the game plan, of the constant pressure, due to the lack of mobility. While Goose may be of AFL standard still, the club obviously felt that atheltic, mobile talls are the way to go...

Zac, Gilbo, Fish, etc..

Carpe Diem
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:Club and RL came to the opinion that Goose's leg would never be the same. He wouldn't be able to fit into the game plan, of the constant pressure, due to the lack of mobility. While Goose may be of AFL standard still, the club obviously felt that atheltic, mobile talls are the way to go...

Zac, Gilbo, Fish, etc..
well someone told me 2 years ago his leg was seriously farked - he was in massive pain. couldnt sleep nights etc and that it had fused badly and would be an ongoing problem for many years if not ever.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i feel people tend to forget that his form even b4 he injured his leg was very very poor and for a long time too.

the added empahasis on making the game quicker and more of a spectacle has made Goose somewhat redundant as a backman IMO... too clumsy, not enough run

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:i feel people tend to forget that his form even b4 he injured his leg was very very poor and for a long time too.

the added empahasis on making the game quicker and more of a spectacle has made Goose somewhat redundant as a backman IMO... too clumsy, not enough run
Actually, his form leading directly into the injury (with the exception of Port) was stellar. He was back to taking contested marks and attacking up the middle, while erasing his opponents.

His opening slew of games for '06 was poor, but after strong '05 and '04 seasons, how there seem to be so many who's lasting impression of Goose is Brad Johnson turning him inside-out is a head scratcher.

Regardless, in answer to the OP, 5 years is a not inconsiderable difference at all. Were we carrying a 25/26 year old hoping he'd regain and improve on best form, that's reasonable. However, as Goose was behind Fisher, Blake, and finally Dawson for Key Defensive duty, and never going to be an offense first (Gilbert/Raph/Gram/etc.) or defend on smalls (Baker/Dempster), it's very old for a straight up backup, whether he'd have been happy in the role or not.

Given Goose was out of contract, he'd have needed rocks in his head to sign that contract, and we'd have needed rocks in ours to have offered it to him.

Even if delisted in 2 years, drafting a player from our VFL side is great for building the relationship, giving hope to the Sandy players, and encouraging a competitive club culture for guys in the 2nds. More upside than we were (tragically) likely to get from Maguire at this stage.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fair enough. oh well. hope Wj goes well!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Goose had 14 operations on his leg and was to slow, sadly. Lions took a chance with him on a late pick just like we did with Smith. Nothing to loose.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Goose had 14 operations on his leg and was to slow, sadly. Lions took a chance with him on a late pick just like we did with Smith. Nothing to loose.
agreed...

I always liked the goose and loved the runs he used to make and kick a few goals as a result.

I would doubt that he could recapture that form (although I hope for his sake he does).

I did become a little frustrated with him before his injury because his basic mind set was just to kick it long and to me he didn't seem to look at where he was kicking to...

Anyway, he has a life line and Brisbane picked him up for some insurance with Bradshaw's departure, who played down back and up forward...

So Brisbane have Fev up forward and obviously they hope Goose can fill a role down back or at the very least be a backup...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Goose certainly had the potential. Imo his 04 form showed that he could develop and adapt to the increasing pace of the game. Though what's done is done now.

One of his biggest flaws back in the day, was his disposal. So many times would he just get the ball, run 15m and kick it 50m along the wing. Sometime Roo or G train made it look good, the other times it would usually be rebounded back.

Carpe Diem
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
that RL did not say a single word to goose in 2 years - hence why he wanted out.
I find this extremely difficult to believe. During his rehab Goose was gamefully employed in many of the coaching strategy meetings as shown on that extended thingy on Ch 7 earlier this year. Would be bloody difficult to be one of 6-8 guys in that situation and not speak to one of the others for 2 years !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:It wasnt a sarcastic post either. just like to know from someone in the know. im not pro goose or anything. just like to get a straight answer

is there a view this kids might seriously be able to go and is generally more athletic/better prospect already?

im certainly open to the idea that WJ may well be a smoky and may play 100 + games for the saints.
Not a single word in 2 years, yes, I do find that hard to believe...

I am more inclined to believe Goose and Luke didn't adapt to Lyon's personality. They were perhaps expecting D & M's and father figure chit chats....then they got Ross.

Doesn't mean one style is better, it's just different (shrugs)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:It wasnt a sarcastic post either. just like to know from someone in the know. im not pro goose or anything. just like to get a straight answer

Con, it might be that your OP read to some (including me) as a not too subtle swipe at the Coach and recruiting staff.

As for the rumour. I hear plenty of rumours, most of which are so outlandish that they beggar belief. I might humbly suggest that this particular rumour would make me incredulous - do you possibly think that a Coach wouldn't talk to any player on the list for 2 years?

It appears to me that there are some who will 'grasp at any straw', no matter how ridiculous it seems, just becasue it supportsd their particular viewpoint.
I would suggest that the person who told you the rumour probably doesn't like Ross Lyon.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I remember GT pointing out the flaws in Goose's game in his role as a commentator the season after he was given the boot...

and that was before Goose broke his leg.....

I'm definitely interested to see how well Goose and X perform for the Lions.....................now that is a team full of recycled players.

I wonder which club has the most recycled players on it's list....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

Con, it might be that your OP read to some (including me) as a not too subtle swipe at the Coach and recruiting staff.

As for the rumour. I hear plenty of rumours, most of which are so outlandish that they beggar belief. I might humbly suggest that this particular rumour would make me incredulous - do you possibly think that a Coach wouldn't talk to any player on the list for 2 years?

It appears to me that there are some who will 'grasp at any straw', no matter how ridiculous it seems, just becasue it supportsd their particular viewpoint.
I would suggest that the person who told you the rumour probably doesn't like Ross Lyon.
yeah. i thought people would read it that way. but really wasnt. was just of combination of me forgetting what goose was like (long time since i seen him play) and interest in the new kid. wasnt trying to be smart.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I'm really excited about Will Johnson. Apparently, we have been looking at him for awhile. He looks tough and has been likened to a Matthew Egan. For the club to say that they expect him to play senior footy next year, they must see something special.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

14 opps???

holy crap
thats gonna stop anyone in their tracks
i hope he gets some games up north

as if he wasnt spoken to for two years :lol:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:14 opps???

holy crap
thats gonna stop anyone in their tracks
i hope he gets some games up north

as if he wasnt spoken to for two years :lol:
yeah im sure its crap. as i asid i aint swiping im just curious and given im not an insider and not seen goose i9n a zillion years and not watched WJ play im asking the question so as to be enlightened!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Hate to be a nitpicker Bobmurray, but goose broke his leg in GT's last year at the club. Came back in round 1, 2007 and had further problems with his foot, leg etc. resulting in his eventual demise. SOS and the crew felt he didn't have a future in defence, and his 2009 form didn't warrant a place in the forward structure either. Put simply, in racing terms, "prefer others". A real shame. Great bloke, great clubman and very good footballer pre-injury. Not the first and won't be the last to have his career cruelled by injury. Wish him all the best in his endevours at Brisbane. If anyone deserves a good break, it's the goose.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!