Armitage Aggression!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Armitage Aggression!

Just watching the Hawks Saints game in Tassie (finally got the stomach to watch a game from 2009)

Near the end of the first quarter Armtiage negates Hodge as he calls for the one two, Armo grabs hold of him on the second touch and tackles him hard to the ground. Hodge unappreciative gets into a wrestle with Armitage while the play continues for a Saints goal!

Gee, his aggression at both the man and the ball is something that is not evident in the current team. Yes players get into scuffles and our players hold their own but he has an anger about him that is really getting me excited!

Baker aside, he display real anger and aggression! I think he will be have both the physicality and mental maturity to really contribute next year. Not many would dish it out and hold their own to the spiritual leader of another team, especially when its their first game for the year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armitage Agression!

Spinner wrote:Just watching the Hawks Saints game in Tassie (finally got the stomach to watch a game from 2009)

Near the end of the first quarter Armtiage negates Hodge as he calls for the one two, Armo grabs hold of him on the second touch and tackles him hard to the ground. Hodge unappreciative gets into a wrestle with Armitage while the play continues for a Saints goal!

Gee, his aggression at both the man and the ball is something that is not evident in the current team. Yes players get into scuffles and our players hold their own but he has an anger about him that is really getting me excited!

Baker aside, he display real anger and aggression! I think he will be have both the physicality and mental maturity to really contribute next year. Not many would dish it out and hold their own to the spiritual leader of another team, especially when its their first game for the year.
I remember that well, he served up a bit of "unsociable" footy right back at 'em, Hodge didn't know what hit him. 8-)

I have no problems if he brings a little swagger and has the angry pants about him, if it comes part and parcel with the kind of peformance he produced that day.

Batnoe

I like agro footballers, especially if they can get the opposition off their game. however, i do not want it to cost goals... if it does cost goals they must get one back...

I like it when it is within the rules and they wont know what hit them.... Hit them hard Armo, your time is now!!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Armitage Aggression!

Spinner wrote:

There is a bloke who runs around with a number 7 on his back who does pretty good in that area. It might pay for you to take a close look at the bloke who wears #23 as well !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Spinner wrote:

There is a bloke who runs around with a number 7 on his back who does pretty good in that area. It might pay for you to take a close look at the bloke who wears #23 as well !!
Armitage has mongrel, while Lenny is completely hard at it.

I was talking midfielders. Should have stated that.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

From what I recall of watching the NAB Cup game at Carrara Jack Steven has a bit of mongrel in him as well. Remember being stoked when he smash tackled the Paddle Pop Lion and then mashed his face into the ground once the ball had gone... Look forward to seeing if both of these two (JS and Armo) make the step up next season...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
mick13
Club Player

ARMOooooooooooooo

Lookin forward to screaming that for the next 10 years.

Hoping he hits up Riewoldt a little more often too! ;)

S.A Saint
Club Player

completely agree with the op...and what a person to pick on as well hodge out of all people...

DWOODROW
Club Player

I hope he gets the chance to show it off in 2010.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I still think Armitage wasn't given a good enough go this year. He would have been good in the GF. I think McQualter or Ball could have made way for him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather he just gets more consistant and learns to play defensively as well as attacking. Agro is good but being a better player is better.

Quixote
SS Life Member

I'm as hopeful about Armo as anyone, however his delivery by foot into the FWD50 will need to improve significantly.

Also, Schnieder was clearly BOG in that Hawks game.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:I'm as hopeful about Armo as anyone, however his delivery by foot into the FWD50 will need to improve significantly.

If I may defend Armo. He did get a pretty bad corky just before 3/4 Time in that Hawks game and had little or no impact after that. Up until then he would have got my vote for BOG !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I'm preety sure Armo got the three brownlow votes for the Hawks game. Jonesy, Stevens and Armo were outstanding in that game- as well as Schneiderman!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I'd rather he just gets more consistant and learns to play defensively as well as attacking. Agro is good but being a better player is better.
Well if it was only up to aggression plugger, a few on here would be getting a guernsey way before Armitage!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I saw him in an NAB Challenge game v Collingwood in 07, maybe his first game for us..cant remember if he played in the storm in Cairns the week before?

A Pies player was put down, a team-mate ran in to remonstrate, and in flew Armo, right in the thick of it without a moments hesitation

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Quixote
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:
Quixote wrote:I'm as hopeful about Armo as anyone, however his delivery by foot into the FWD50 will need to improve significantly.

If I may defend Armo. He did get a pretty bad corky just before 3/4 Time in that Hawks game and had little or no impact after that. Up until then he would have got my vote for BOG !!
Hmm yeah forgot about that, seem to remember it happening.

Don't worry, I am SUPER excited about the Armo!

In that Tassie game however, Schneider man got us going when it was there to be won.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
Eastern wrote:

Hmm yeah forgot about that, seem to remember it happening.

Don't worry, I am SUPER excited about the Armo!

In that Tassie game however, Schneider man got us going when it was there to be won.
BTW Quixote, is that your name on BF? Because I have been meaning to say a big well done on the "Things that make Dustin Martin angry" thread!!!

Off topic I know, but it deserves a mention and a look!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BTW, continued from my earlier post.... I can see Armitage having a ripper season and booting off to the GC.

Uncontracted (as far as i know) and obviously from QLD. I reckon the GC will have a lot of trouble convincing established players like Ablett and such to move and thus will need to throw their money to the less established.

Armo will by then only have had 4 years at the club and the GC could effectively triple what we could offer (more probable if they fail to land some big fish)....The potential to be a leader at the club and going home make it a real possibility.

I can certainly see him going, in fact im expecting it.

As much as it would hurt us, and me...especially with losing Ball - Id certainly be going home for more cash every day of the week!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:BTW, continued from my earlier post.... I can see Armitage having a ripper season and booting off to the GC.

Uncontracted (as far as i know) and obviously from QLD. I reckon the GC will have a lot of trouble convincing established players like Ablett and such to move and thus will need to throw their money to the less established.

Armo will by then only have had 4 years at the club and the GC could effectively triple what we could offer (more probable if they fail to land some big fish)....The potential to be a leader at the club and going home make it a real possibility.

I can certainly see him going, in fact im expecting it.

As much as it would hurt us, and me...especially with losing Ball - Id certainly be going home for more cash every day of the week!
You may well be right however unless Armo can have a break out year (and I certainly hope he does) then he's not going to be worth that much to the GC. And if he does come along as we expect then I'm sure the Saints will ensure any new contract reflects this.

A chance to return home may be appealing. However very few of us really know how Armo feels about the Saints or living in Melbourne. And if he can consolidate a position in a genuine flag contender then that may appeal more than a chance to play in front of his family with a pack of talented kids.

Time will tell but I am hopeful he has a great year and stays with us.

saintjake
Club Player

Armo a smokey for the brownlow 8-)
chance at a number of games,
3 votes from one game this year,
i'd take it ;)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Stephen Theodore?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
thequarry
Club Player

saint66au wrote:I saw him in an NAB Challenge game v Collingwood in 07, maybe his first game for us..cant remember if he played in the storm in Cairns the week before?

A Pies player was put down, a team-mate ran in to remonstrate, and in flew Armo, right in the thick of it without a moments hesitation
This reminds me of a game in early 2008, when we were struggling...I think it may have been against Port in Round 6; Lenny Hayes got hit and the only player to come in and fly the St Kilda flag was...David Armitage!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Stephen Theodore?
Missed it by that much :roll: :lol: :wink: !!

Munga
Saintsational Legend

The guy had his ear ripped off, of course you'd be aggro! :twisted:

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"