Lovett suspended

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:God 5 years later and M&M still cop it
Especially from morons in the crowd.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

ashjam wrote:Your right 'Gabba'
Next time I will say nothing.
Until you can quote a reliable source, what a very good idea 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The only thing we know for sure is that Lovett may have assaulted a girl. Whether he gets off is immaterial to me. He just cannot be that unlucky. As the saying goes where there is smoke there is fire. A good lawyer may get him off but he is damaged goods and must be sent packing.

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

this suks but dont despair... we will be fine without lovett. Question: does this now mean we 1.dont have to pay him?? and 2. its recorded in the salary cap??
i WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT HE GETS ALL UP for a month of training and disgracing the club and himself and the AFL?? what does he get paid for that?? he should have to pay it back whatever it is the scumbag!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Carlton may be coming, but Andrew is definitely going. This is right up there with the Jonathan Hay trade, probably worse. Hang on a minute, I just remembered our trade with Port Adelaide for the king of King Island.

This will seriously burn Ross Lyon's fingers and put a dent in his credibility. Hopefully, now that he's been bitten, he'll be twice shy. It just shows again that short term fixes mostly come back to haunt you. Ross, please look at St Kilda's era aroud 1989 to 1992, and see what short term recruiting ultimately leads to.

Get rid of this guy NOW, or he'll be like a ball and chain for you and the whole club.

Merry %&##ing Christmas

HarveysDeciple

ashjam wrote:Considering I broke the news on here first hours before it came out with the following:

Posted: Thu 24 Dec 2009 10:52am Post subject: Some very bad news on the way I believe today
I am not going to say what it is, but all I can say is I strongly doubt one of our star new recruits will ever play for us.

Can you unlock this post now please?

Also, just to let you know, Lovett was with 3 Essendon Aboriginal players last night, no St.Kilda players were present.
Why would we unlock it, so we can discuss what we are discussing here, in there?

And you posted a rumour, without stating what it was about, or who was involved.

Pointless thread because you affectively said nothing.

Either post what you know, or don't post.

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

relax and stop goin off at Ross lkyon. he is doing EVERY|THING he can t get a flag and that means shaking hands with the devil sometimes. Ok this didnt come off but hey FFS how many clubs can boast the rookies we have selected in 2006-2008 - Clinton Jones, Geary, Dawson - all first pick status NOW!! Schnieder and Dempster for 26??? WHAT A BARGAIN!! King for 90? Gardiner for 70? Steven for 42?? Steven was a B anf F for a very strong team in Falcons at only 16/17 - he wouldve gone top10 maybe top 5 in the nexct draft but we got gim early. We have stuffed this pick uop but geez if Smith comes on then seriously how can you bag the picks we have had that have got us into a grand final and put us ina position were we are still flag contenders!! how can you??????????????????????????????????????????????

Legendary
Club Player

Let's clear a few things up -- Lovett was not with St Kilda players last night. I can verify that because someone I know witnessed him out last night. He may have been with AFL players from another club, but they were not St Kilda players.

The allegations being made against Lovett are serious enough that they could lead to a charge of sexaul assault or rape.

Penalties for these offences carry certain minimum and maximum requirements, and when people are found guilty, they are often sentenced to a term in prison.

Andrew Lovett stands at this moment as an innocent man, and we must assume his innocence until any charge is laid and proved in a court of law.

However, Lovett has put himself in an undesirable situation for the second time in 2 months. He has poor judgment, and does not seem to have a learnt a lesson from his misdemeanour several weeks ago.

It's approrpriate to debate whether we want him on our list. His previous record is no better or worse than someone like Michael Gardiner, but MG managed to leave his past behind when he walked through the doors at Moorabbin.

Lovett has not done this. Whether or not these allegations are proved, I believe he should be sacked.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:
ashjam wrote:Considering I broke the news on here first hours before it came out with the following:

Posted: Thu 24 Dec 2009 10:52am Post subject: Some very bad news on the way I believe today
I am not going to say what it is, but all I can say is I strongly doubt one of our star new recruits will ever play for us.

Also, just to let you know, Lovett was with 3 Essendon Aboriginal players last night, no St.Kilda players were present.
Why would we unlock it, so we can discuss what we are discussing here, in there?

And you posted a rumour, without stating what it was about, or who was involved.

Why? So everyone can shout him down for posting w/o quoting his source? Then shut him down anyway b/c what he thinks he knows is defamatory, until proven truthful?

For the record, a mate had text me at about the same time as ashjam put his post up. The first thing I did was jump on saintsational b/c I thought if anyone knows what's going on, someone at saintsational will. Even though the thread was locked it served its purpose to me and confirmed what I had been text. So for me, wasn't a waste of time or energy at all.

HarveysDeciple

Moods wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:

Why? So everyone can shout him down for posting w/o quoting his source? Then shut him down anyway b/c what he thinks he knows is defamatory, until proven truthful?

For the record, a mate had text me at about the same time as ashjam put his post up. The first thing I did was jump on saintsational b/c I thought if anyone knows what's going on, someone at saintsational will. Even though the thread was locked it served its purpose to me and confirmed what I had been text. So for me, wasn't a waste of time or energy at all.

In answer to that. Posting it before it can be confirmed will get you flamed.

Posting something without any hint as to what it is just for the hell of it is totally pointless.

Bottom line, don't post rumour or innuendo until substantiated. Should be common sense.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Let's clear a few things up -- Lovett was not with St Kilda players last night. I can verify that because someone I know witnessed him out last night. He may have been with AFL players from another club, but they were not St Kilda players.

The allegations being made against Lovett are serious enough that they could lead to a charge of sexaul assault or rape.

Penalties for these offences carry certain minimum and maximum requirements, and when people are found guilty, they are often sentenced to a term in prison.

Andrew Lovett stands at this moment as an innocent man, and we must assume his innocence until any charge is laid and proved in a court of law.

However, Lovett has put himself in an undesirable situation for the second time in 2 months. He has poor judgment, and does not seem to have a learnt a lesson from his misdemeanour several weeks ago.

It's approrpriate to debate whether we want him on our list. His previous record is no better or worse than someone like Michael Gardiner, but MG managed to leave his past behind when he walked through the doors at Moorabbin.

Lovett has not done this. Whether or not these allegations are proved, I believe he should be sacked.
I agree with most of what you wrote Legendry. The thing for me is that if the coppers do charge him, then I will wipe him regardless. I'm not waiting for a jury. Coppers rarely take these matters, especially celebrities, to court unless the evidence is fairly overwhelming. I'm not waiting until a smart barrister knocks half the case out at a committal, or finds a loophole in the case, or a prosecution witness loses their nerve. That's just me though.

To the top
SS Life Member

So Plugger (and your fellow travellers on the hang first and ask questions later brigade) how come Montagna and Milne remain on our list?

And Koschitzke was wrongly named by a media outlet in the first instance, so he should have been gone too.

Because allegations were made against Montagna and Milne by women as well.

In the Family Court of Australia it is common practice for a mother in contested cases to produce the sexual abuse of children allegation against fathers.

These allegations are shown to be false in the very great majority of cases, if not in all cases.

It is the same with allegations of domestic violence.

Just as well you and your kind do not sit on the bench of the FCA because fathers would have far less of a chance in that jurisdiction than they currently have of walking away with principal residence Orders.

We do not know of the tenure of the allegations in regards Lovett, we do not know if Charges are to be laid, we do not know if any such Charges are to be defended and we do not know the outcome of any Court case or the appeal process available.

In the Herald Sun of November 26 (Page 32) there is a heading "Rugby league Test star cleared of glassing girlfriend. It was self defence". The quashing of a conviction carrying a 16 month jail sentence against Greg Bird was reported in that article.

Perhaps you need to get off this site and actually spend some time in the real world, Plugger, before you go drawing and quartering people's lives on the basis of allegation alone.

At this stage all that is known is that Victoria Police are investigating a complaint against Lovett by a woman.

Given the profile of the person that complaint has been made against it is in his interests to reduce his profile and to negate media access to him.

Currently he has no question to answer and that circumstance needs to be respected.

The only reason this particular matter is in our press is because Lovett is a high profile sports player.

But don't get me started on the activities of the media in such matters.

It may be that a Charge or Charges are laid in regards improper activities and, if that is the case, Lovett, as with each and every one of us except Plugger and his fellow travellers who believe that the existance of an allegation is a hanging offence regardless, has the right to plead and to argue that plead before the appropriate jurisdiction.

Bird remained out on bail since lodging an appeal on the day the conviction was handed down.

The appropriate jurisdiction for these matters to be tried is most definately not the media - with the notable exception of the Haneef matter where Federal Minister Andrews sought to entrench a guilty culture by his use of the media - and came unstuck, causing much celebration.

And, do you know what, sometimes our much vaunted legal system gets it wrong.

linz
Club Player

The Saints and Lyon did the homework on this bloke. In this respect I don't blame Lyon at all 'cause he recognized our weaknesses & tried to rectify it. (We needed midfield pace not Ball's)

Sheedy and Hird as it seems did us no favours by recommending him. I am more disappointed in their referrals and as a result their credibility.

Essendon (and maybe Sheedy & Hird) must be busting their sides laughing now though.

The Saints reaction to this story is sensible. He is suspended until further notice.

That's really all that needs to be said at this stage.
Wait and see what eventuates but if it turns out (after court proceedings) he hurt the woman involved in any way he should be turfed out.
I don't want any Carlton Premierships at the Saints.
Last edited by linz on Thu 24 Dec 2009 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Maxstar22
Club Player

To the top wrote:
These allegations are shown to be false in the very great majority of cases, if not in all cases.

It is these exact statements that makes it very hard for women to report abuse and most of it goes unreported.

:shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:So Plugger (and your fellow travellers on the hang first and ask questions later brigade) how come Montagna and Milne remain on our list?

And Koschitzke was wrongly named by a media outlet in the first instance, so he should have been gone too.

In the Family Court of Australia it is common practice for a mother in contested cases to produce the sexual abuse of children allegation against fathers.

Just as well you and your kind do not sit on the bench of the FCA because fathers would have far less of a chance in that jurisdiction than they currently have of walking away with principal residence Orders.

We do not know of the tenure of the allegations in regards Lovett, we do not know if Charges are to be laid, we do not know if any such Charges are to be defended and we do not know the outcome of any Court case or the appeal process available.

In the Herald Sun of November 26 (Page 32) there is a heading "Rugby league Test star cleared of glassing girlfriend. It was self defence". The quashing of a conviction carrying a 16 month jail sentence against Greg Bird was reported in that article.

Perhaps you need to get off this site and actually spend some time in the real world, Plugger, before you go drawing and quartering people's lives on the basis of allegation alone.

At this stage all that is known is that Victoria Police are investigating a complaint against Lovett by a woman.

Given the profile of the person that complaint has been made against it is in his interests to reduce his profile and to negate media access to him.

Currently he has no question to answer and that circumstance needs to be respected.

The only reason this particular matter is in our press is because Lovett is a high profile sports player.

It may be that a Charge or Charges are laid in regards improper activities and, if that is the case, Lovett, as with each and every one of us except Plugger and his fellow travellers who believe that the existance of an allegation is a hanging offence regardless, has the right to plead and to argue that plead before the appropriate jurisdiction.

Bird remained out on bail since lodging an appeal on the day the conviction was handed down.

The appropriate jurisdiction for these matters to be tried is most definately not the media - with the notable exception of the Haneef matter where Federal Minister Andrews sought to entrench a guilty culture by his use of the media - and came unstuck, causing much celebration.

I suppose Lovett has just been unlucky everytime something happened to him. Milne and Joey had no previous form at all. Lovett has plenty and as i am in the real world I beleive the saying where there is smoke there is fire. And dont blame the media for this. He did it, or may have done it not the media. To many people choose to look for blame when the actual blame is looking you straight in the eye.

I suggest you look at the last 2 incidents through 2 eyes and dont make excuses for the guy. As I said previously, whether he gets off or not doesnt matter to me anymore. He should go IMO

Batnoe

plugger66 wrote:
To the top wrote:So Plugger (and your fellow travellers on the hang first and ask questions later brigade) how come Montagna and Milne remain on our list?

I suppose Lovett has just been unlucky everytime something happened to him. Milne and Joey had no previous form at all. Lovett has plenty and as i am in the real world I beleive the saying where there is smoke there is fire. And dont blame the media for this. He did it, or may have done it not the media. To many people choose to look for blame when the actual blame is looking you straight in the eye.

I suggest you look at the last 2 incidents through 2 eyes and dont make excuses for the guy. As I said previously, whether he gets off or not doesnt matter to me anymore. He should go IMO
If he gets off he should stay, if he doesnt he has to go

As the Bird case he got off

Kobe Bryant got off

Allen Iverson for alledged murder

Sports stars do have an advantage and the right lawyers as they have the money to get them off

I am not saying this girl is a lier or stretching the truth, but if she didnt have to go to hospital he didnt do anything damaging- most rape victims should...if they are forced.

She may have wanted to do it and then changed her mind after it had happened as she realised she cheated on her bf. They may have had sex... it may have been consented, it may not be... But unless they can prove that it was an attack (tests at hospital, bruises etc etc) then they cant charge him unless someone else was in the room...

So he is innocent until proven guilty
Last edited by Batnoe on Thu 24 Dec 2009 10:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

A few scattered thoughts on this

1. A Lovett is a major footballing talent (and, unlike Cousins, is relatively young in footballing terms). I have absolutely no gripe with Lyon or the club that we traded for him.

2. Things seem to have changed at the club since Butters/GT/Waldron moved on. When Milne and Joey were accused, we stood behind them. Now, before Lovett has even been charged with anything, we call a presser and hang him out to dry.

3. That said, it's a serious charge. I'd like to know more about the role of the other player involved. The alleged victim was clearly in a very vulnerable state a d I'd like to think my son would have tried to get her in a cab home rather than (as has been alleged) leaving her alone unconscious with another bloke while banging her girlfriend in another room.

4. I'm also a bit bothered about these girls who allow themselves to get plastered with drunken, randy footballers and then end up unconscious with the same blokes in a strange house. What do they think is going to happen to them: wake up to breakfast in bed and an intense discussion about female empowerment and the fragillity of masculinity in the 21st century post modern cultural milieu??
Last edited by meher baba on Thu 24 Dec 2009 10:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If he gets off he should stay, if he doesnt he has to go

As the Bird case he got off

Kobe Bryant got off

Allen Iverson for alledged murder

Sports stars do have an advantage and the right lawyers as they have the money to get them off
OJ got off. How would he be around the club?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:A few scattered thoughts on this

1. A Lovett is a major footballing talent (and, unlike Cousins, is relatively young in footballing terms). I have absolutely no gripe with Lyon or the club that we traded for him.

2. Things seem to have changed at the club since Butters/GT/Waldron moved on. When Milne and Joey were accused, we stood behind them. Now, before Lovett has even been charged with anything, we call a presser and hang him out to dry.

3. That said, it's a serious charge. I'd like to know more about the role of the other player involved. The alleged victim was clearly in a very vulnerable state a d I'd like to think my son would have tried to get her in a cab home rather than (as has been alleged) leaving her alone unconscious with another bloke while banging her girlfriend in another room.

4. I'm also a bit bothered about these girls who allow themselves to get plastered with drunken, randy footballers and then end up unconscious with the same blokes in a strange house. What do they think is going to happen to them: wake up to breakfast in bed and an intense discussion about female empowerment and the fragillity of masculinity in the 21st century post modern cultural milieu??
I should have realised it was the girls fault.

Batnoe

OJ got off!! Yes, is it because he was a sports star with good lawyers? or because he didnt do it?

The fact he got off means he is innocent or so the jury and judge thought!!

Even if he did do it, if he had the right case then he will get off which means he is innocent...

I know a lot of lawyers who have gotten people off for murder, thats their job... I also know a judge and he said he can get anyone off at his discretion as there is a clause in there to be manipulated...

It is bad for the game if Lovett gets caught so therefore i think he wont be found guilty... He will be on his last strike if he does get found innocent

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:OJ got off!! Yes, is it because he was a sports star with good lawyers? or because he didnt do it?

Even if he did do it, if he had the right case then he will get off which means he is innocent...

I know a lot of lawyers who have gotten people off for murder, thats their job... I also know a judge and he said he can get anyone off at his discretion as there is a clause in there to be manipulated...

It is bad for the game if Lovett gets caught so therefore i think he wont be found guilty... He will be on his last strike if he does get found innocent
It that until the next strike.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote: 4. I'm also a bit bothered about these girls who allow themselves to get plastered with drunken, randy footballers and then end up unconscious with the same blokes in a strange house. What do they think is going to happen to them: wake up to breakfast in bed and an intense discussion about female empowerment and the fragillity of masculinity in the 21st century post modern cultural milieu??
Tediously cheap shot.

Of course (if the allegations are true) the girl is a victim of a despicable crime. But, these days, footballers of any code can be said to be products with a warning label in 20 point bold script. Any young woman who allows herself to become paralytic in the company of these blokes is putting herself in harm's way big time. I'm not suggesting that this is in anyway absolving the perpetrators of rape from their responsibility.

But what makes grown up women take such enormous and obvious risks?
That part of the story puzzles and bothers me.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote: 4. I'm also a bit bothered about these girls who allow themselves to get plastered with drunken, randy footballers and then end up unconscious with the same blokes in a strange house. What do they think is going to happen to them: wake up to breakfast in bed and an intense discussion about female empowerment and the fragillity of masculinity in the 21st century post modern cultural milieu??
Tediously cheap shot.

Of course (if the allegations are true) the girl is a victim of a despicable crime. But, these days, footballers of any code can be said to be products with a warning label in 20 point bold script. Any young woman who allows herself to become paralytic in the company of these blokes is putting herself in harm's way big time. I'm not suggesting that this is in anyway absolving the perpetrators of rape from their responsibility.

Whats makes grown up men allegedly sexually assault someone.

Batnoe

meher baba wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Tediously cheap shot.

I agree with u Meher

I saw a documentary on young girls following the footy stars around in a hope they can get with them, the docco interviews them asking what lengths they would go to. most answered 'any' if it meant getting what they wanted.
It also brings up the Matty Johns case, the lady thought it was cool to do it at the time... then had some problems later in life and thought that it must have been it, but she put herself in that position..

I know it isnt related, but i had a mate who was locked up for something he did 20 years ago, he was 17 and had sex with his 14 year old gf (consented)
He got a random call 20 years later when he was 37 saying that he has wrecked this girls life for having sex when she wasnt old enough. He has since been married and has 4 kids... It didnt matter, they assumed or the cops and judged blamed all the phycological problems of the girl on my mate for something he did when he was 17

She put herself in this position, they were in a relationship and she asked for it, he should have known that she was underage and that he shouldnt have done it.

A lot like this case really is that although she may have wanted it, once the deed is done and she has done it she changes her mind... Hence it may not be the A Lovetts fault but a crime where she wishes she hadnt

If he did it while she was sleeping... like they claim then it is a dog act

saint64
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:OJ got off!! Yes, is it because he was a sports star with good lawyers? or because he didnt do it?

Accused people aren't found to be "innocent". The case against them is either proved beyond reasonable doubt or it is not. In the OJ case he was acquitted because the case against him couldn't be proved to that standard. A separate court later found him responsible for the woman's death on the balance of probabilities. While our criminal legal system is for very good reason based around the principle that someone is innocent until proven guilty, an acquittal doesn't necessarily wipe the slate clean in all respects.