Will Mini be the new Ball??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Will Mini be the new Ball??

While Armo is Ball's obvious replacement....will Mini surprise by taking over his spot instead

Armo would seem to have the edge in class and ability. But Mini is that bit older and wiser...

Steven to be sniffing about too, along with Geary.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
quidnunc
Club Player

NO!

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Although I would like to think that every player on the list would want to carve his own piece of history, Jaryn Geary is the one who is set to take the next step IMHO !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Out of the young potential midfielders only Steven to me seems to have the class to be a top liner. Armo lacks kicking ability and is lazy defensively and Mini, Eddy and Geary seem like workhorses to me.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Either one is not going to go through next year entirely injury and/or suspension free. The more that can fill that role the better. Id like 3 options.

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Out of the young potential midfielders only Steven to me seems to have the class to be a top liner. Armo lacks kicking ability and is lazy defensively and Mini, Eddy and Geary seem like workhorses to me.
Agree re Steven, although not sure I agree about Armo being lazy defensively. From what I have seen he goes hard at the man, tackles well and has second and third efforts when needed. I see where you are coming from though, but is it perhaps more about his tank?

I don't envisage Geary playing a Ball like role, mainly because I think he is that little bit more attacking and I'd like to see him become a goal kicking mid (we could certainly use one or two!), I think he has the tools.

Mini could perhaps fill this role, he is similar in some ways. It will be interesting to see how he is used this year. He was pretty important up forward, and I did love that goal he slotted against Collingwood in the finals series!

I do think both can potentially rotate through the midfield though and add something to the rotations which Lyon like to use.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

No, I think McQualter ir too important in the forward line, he applies that all important frontal pressure and is one of our surest goal kickers (GF excluded).

I think Armitage is the obvious replacement and will be the replacement. IMO Steven will be more of an attacking player and if he were to replace anyone I feel it would be the role that we had Lovett pencilled in for.

Geary is an interesting one, I really don't know what position he should be played in, I worry that he might become a jack of all trades but master of none. I'd like this year to be his last experimental year, give him a go as a running wingman, a half back flanker, a forward flanker and a genuine inside midfielder then decide where we go from there.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Mini definitely stepped up last year, and it could happen again as he gets older, stronger and wiser. He is apparently quite a vocal leader on the field, so that is definitely a plus. However, i do see becoming stronger playing as a defensive forward as he did this year - continuing to work on the plethora of things he surely learnt about his role in 2009.

I do agree with Plugger regarding Steven - he looks to have the ability to play both inside and outside with ease, but would likely play more as a flanker - the role which Schneids played really well is the last several rounds of the season. He seems robust, clean and can kick a good goal as we saw in Tassy. I really hope we get to see more of him this year.

Armo we all know should step up - if he can match Ball in the clearances (or at least get close-ish), his kicking skills are already going to be cleaner and more penetrating! Gears to me seems more of an outside player or third/fourth defender. He likes the run and carry, but he gets outmuscled too easily for an inside-mid as be saw in round 14 against Geelong.

I'm still not sold on Eddy - i would prefer any of the others in the squad... the only thing i can tell that he brings to the team is determination... and that only gets you so far!

Batnoe

plugger66 wrote:Out of the young potential midfielders only Steven to me seems to have the class to be a top liner. Armo lacks kicking ability and is lazy defensively and Mini, Eddy and Geary seem like workhorses to me.
lazy defensively?

i dont get you sometimes, sometimes you come out with something i totally agree with and others i just want to tell you how much you dont know about footy

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
lazy defensively?

i dont get you sometimes, sometimes you come out with something i totally agree with and others i just want to tell you how much you dont know about footy
Guys, Guys, Guys !!

Lets NOT allow this thread to go down the "personal attack" path that many other threads have gone down of late. Plugger's opinion is just that "AN OPINION". Remember, an opinion is neither right nor wrong.

This is a great place to express our opinions but we should also allow others to express theirs too !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Milton66
SS Life Member

Yes, why not? If you're lookign for a direct like v like replacemnt, then yes.

But it will come down to 2 things... who replaces him up fwd, and what role does the coach have in mind for Ball's replacement?

Maybe he'll be happy with another clearance king.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
PJ
SS Life Member

Mini - shows some real class in flashes and seems to be the favourite of many commentators. It may be a question of his core strength which compromises his in and under work - he needs to be able to hold his ground better. A definite improver and could do this role part time.

Armo - has the right aggression and skills, will be a great deal better if he can play week in and week out. Goal kicking ability is good - gets more in play than from set shots but in the midfoeld role this is not a problem. Armo has potential for as far as the eye can see but needs a mature and consistent approach.

Steven - (this guy is my long term term pick of best mid for the saints) he looks the closest in style to Bally and does some pretty special things - he just needs the game time and encouragement.

Geary - for mine could eventually replace CJ as a tagger if he gains the body strength. At present I can't see why he generates the excitment in people but each to their own.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Mini won't be. Whilst he does his job well as a defensive HFF that is a long way off an extraction in and under midfielder, AA, club captain, leader that Ball is/was.
More power to McQ but lets not get excited.
BTW, the rumours were that Lyon wasn't impressed with 20 "going the other way".

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Milton66
SS Life Member

Ball WAS AA, when? How long ago?

I doubt that anyone is expecting someone to just step in and be what Ball was.

Like I say, it wil lall depend on what "role" is expected from the player.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

No replacements.

The next player must be better, until we win the premiership.

Each player has a different name, and has the ability to create their own history.

While I understand the rationale of the OP, If one player simply replaces another, there will be no progress.

Sure I'm playing semantics, but it is such a fine line between defeat and victory, it is important that we get at least 10% improvement this year. I want to be able to sit back at 3/4 time in this year's GF and be 7 goals up. Then we can really celebrate. Just pause, close your eyes and imagine that scenario. Wow!!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Mini already has his role and has been doing it admirably.

I agree with plugger66, Jack Steven is a great prospect for the midfield this year. He really impressed me with his endeavour at Sandy last year and with another pre season under his belt should be ready to go this year.

Armo, Geary and Eddy will all be in the mix as well.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:No replacements.

Each player has a different name, and has the ability to create their own history.

While I understand the rationale of the OP, If one player simply replaces another, there will be no progress.

Sure I'm playing semantics, but it is such a fine line between defeat and victory, it is important that we get at least 10% improvement this year. I want to be able to sit back at 3/4 time in this year's GF and be 7 goals up. Then we can really celebrate. Just pause, close your eyes and imagine that scenario. Wow!!!
Agree, plus I'm not real sure which Ball we're talking about. If it's the one that just departed then I'm not sure I want a new one! I'd much prefer a new midfielder who can run (quickly) and kick the ball (over a distance) as well as laying a tackle!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Simply, THE most stupid question ever, ever posed on a football forum. Ever.

Fair dinkum.

Fair, fair dinkum.

No.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Or the same, and just get a bit more time on the ground.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Steven is unproven....could be anything...could be nothing...he's part of the same raffle as the rest of them....

fair dinkum...how does one mans shite become gospel... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Simply, THE most stupid question ever, ever posed on a football forum. Ever.

Fair dinkum.

Fair, fair dinkum.

No.
The purpose of the OP was to get some football discussion going rather than the personal attacks and repeated Lovett threads.

It has so far worked with most..but some can't help themselves of course.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Agree, plus I'm not real sure which Ball we're talking about.
I am referring to replacing the 2009 Ball...not the 2005 Ball.
Dr Spaceman wrote:

If it's the one that just departed then I'm not sure I want a new one! I'd much prefer a new midfielder who can run (quickly) and kick the ball (over a distance) as well as laying a tackle!
Armo and Steven call do all...or at least are quicker than the 2009 Ball.
Right hear and now I think Armo would nake the better tackler and clearance player.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 10 Jan 2010 3:05am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

One reason I raise Mini is that Lyon has flagged that he wants more pace in the team.

So I can envisage for example see Peake coming into the 22.

If so then someone needs to spell Lenny and Dal for the on the ball clearance work.

With Peake in, I could see Mini being asked to take some more rotations along with say BJ.

That is just one senario of course. Armo is another...as is Steven...

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Or the same, and just get a bit more time on the ground.
If he can kick more than 30 metres than he will be better than Ball. Same didn't do the job.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Simply, THE most stupid question ever, ever posed on a football forum. Ever.

Fair dinkum.

Fair, fair dinkum.

No.
You are a very nasty person RF. Do you have a vocabulary that can be a little less bombastic than shooting down the OP and making them feel stupid. Why don't you try posting something that evokes discussion rather than branding a post as the most stupid post ever. Another generalisation and extreme comment from you. Please find some tact and diplomacy.