Did we get it horribly wrong?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who doesn't understand why SS is down the shiitter these days needs only to read this thread.

The bullies, the 'mob mentality', the 'with us or against us' attitude, the ganging up on posters who share different opinions is the reason this place reeks.

And it's grown men doing it. The same ones over and over again.

Sad really. Used to be a fun place.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

That last line is a killer.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:That last line is a killer.
It was.

It was fun.

Quite jovial - regardless of your views. Good for a laugh, good for a discussion, good for news.

One 'high profile' poster used to PM me encouraging bullying towards other posters. But it was isolated.

People could have their views, without being ganged up on - or as it seems now, have your views twisted into ridiculous accusations of taking pleasure in the assault of a young woman.
I mean, come on. That's just pathetic behaviour.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Anyone who doesn't understand why SS is down the shiitter these days needs only to read this thread.

The bullies, the 'mob mentality', the 'with us or against us' attitude, the ganging up on posters who share different opinions is the reason this place reeks.

Oh dear :wink:

It's a little bit unfair to lump everyone in the same basket, and not every thread turns sour.

This thread is probably a little more emotive, given the subject matter, it's a very sensitive issue after all.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Anyone who doesn't understand why SS is down the shiitter these days needs only to read this thread.

So why keep coming back?
Why the need to keep telling evrybody how much you dislike the place.

Nobody, as far as I'm aware, is holding a gun to your head forcing you to read adn post on here. You can always go back to Big Footy if you think that's 'more fun'.
Or maybe even start your own Fan Forum?
Then you can set the rules and do whatever you like.

And I do love your characterization of posters who happen to agree with a pov that is opposite yours as being part of 'the bullies' or 'mob mentality'.
Does that mean posters who agree with your pov are not part of the 'bullies' or 'mob mentality'?

Maybe this place doesn't suit you anymore because not as many fish bite at your bait?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup... 'fun'.

Like calling someone being treated for cancer a... what was it, a weak ****ing wad?... then not even apologising when all the circumstances were explained... good times, quite jovial.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:That last line is a killer.
It was.

It was fun.

Quite jovial - regardless of your views. Good for a laugh, good for a discussion, good for news.

One 'high profile' poster used to PM me encouraging bullying towards other posters. But it was isolated.

People could have their views, without being ganged up on - or as it seems now, have your views twisted into ridiculous accusations of taking pleasure in the assault of a young woman.

it was......a fun place that is......things got nasty after the thomas sacking....

.those for and those against....

...turned nasty....lot of nasty things said in haste....but not since regreted it would seem....

..gone down hill ever since......shame really....lot of very good knowledgeable posters have left....plus a few pricks i might add......i respect your right to have a view...i might not agree with you...but there is a tad of truth in at least some of your posts...

...big mart i enjoy....saintsrising too...although we haven't always seen eye to eye.....never will...but these guys are true sainters and deserve my respect......same for b4e.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Move along now; nothing to see :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Move along now; nothing to see :roll:

yep...and.....nope.....

Milton66
SS Life Member

POV's are one thing and we are all entitled to them.

Carping criticism is different altogether and it appears that it's just the way some people are.

I'll respect anyone's POV and their right to express it, but FFS, how about some solutions?

Too easy to come here and make glib comments and then not give alternatives.

IMHO.

BTW, it's good to see Rodger trying a plan B... instead of slagging off at Lyon (no one listens anymore), he's trying to wedge forumites.

Johnny Howard would be proud. :D

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Milton66
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Plugger I could say the sky was Blue and you would question if it were correct......the fact is J.Smith rated himself very highly and the father/son assured his team mates he was a shoe in to go top three otherwise and that he was a walk up starter in the 22 at anytime and being Ross Smiths son was owed a spot on the list.....he was a lazy trainer, continual complainer and loved the clubs.....not denying he has talent...

I heard this from a couple of ex-players who I got to do a clinic at my school.....both coaching now.....top blokes..

they also told me Aaron Edwards is a pretty good kid, with some issues which hold him back....he cannot deal with boundaries..

and a few other things aswell...not too many kind words for Gibbo
Mate, FWIW, I wasn't happy that you commented on Lovett before he had a chance to redeem himself and his career.

Ok, so now your words are prophetic and he mucked up.

Doesn't mean you should come on here with an "I told you so" attitude and seeking revenge against those who disagreed with you.

Sadly, you have been proven correct, and I'd hope that no one is sadder than you in this instance. This isn't how anyone wanted it to work out.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

lols.

This place has almost as many internet heroes as Big Footy.

It all went down after GT got the arse and it split the forum.

Any **** can type if you give them enough time to faceroll over the keyboard a few times.

Added to that, last year the weight of expectation took a bit of a toll as well.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Craw
Club Player

Yep....opinions are like @r$eholes...... and like some on here, they stink !

Not Craw, CRAW!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: it was......a fun place that is......things got nasty after the thomas sacking....

...turned nasty....lot of nasty things said in haste....but not since regreted it would seem....

..gone down hill ever since......shame really....lot of very good knowledgeable posters have left....plus a few pricks i might add......i respect your right to have a view...i might not agree with you...but there is a tad of truth in at least some of your posts...

...big mart i enjoy....saintsrising too...although we haven't always seen eye to eye.....never will...but these guys are true sainters and deserve my respect......same for b4e.....
I blame Grant Thomas for this site becoming so full of hate and acrimony!

The site became divided between the easily conned who fell for the snakeoil routine and the perspicacious individuals such as myself who knew that this buffoon was costing the club premierships or at the least a much better chance of delivering them.

One of the worse things that ever happened to this club was when Butterss and Thomas hijacked the club and seized control.

After Tim Watson gifted us a the biggest draft bonanza in history, the club was going to rise up the ladder regardless of who was running the joint.

What was needed was a professional football department delivered from day one and more than an ex- Warnnabool rookie coach as MC for an amateur hour that dragged on for six years!

I'm rapt that the club finally has a FAIR DINKUM, Real McCoy coach who sets trends and a professional football department as opposed to a one man show with corporate mumbo jumbo, who on the one hand demands six figure sums be spent on overseas holidays disguised as training camps and at the same time can't deliver a playing list fit enough for the challenges of AFL football!

In fairness to Grant " fitness and conditioning staff are overrated " Thomas, most buffoons and numbnuts on here would have faired no better had they hijacked the club, paid themselves $500,000 a year, destroyed the relationship with the VFL affiliate, developed no rookies and drafted appallingly on some picks whereby the coach made the call, without even mentioning the clayton's game plan bereft of tactics and an ego that no locker room could contain ensuring we got monumentally screwed by the AFL.

Ross Lyon inherited an unfit and slow list and has been cleaning up the mess ever since!

Ok so Lovett hasn't worked out, but you can't blame Lyon and the football department for trying to address an achilles heel and turn this situation around ASAP, while Riewoldt and Hayes are still in their prime.

We lack a bit of pace, Lovett would have gone some way towards addressing this and I thought the gamble was definitely worth it.

When given a second chance not too many players piss it up against the wall as it appears Lovett has done.

We have IMHO the best coach in the AFL and never before in this clubs history have we had such a professional football department as what we have now and once again Lyon has helped shape this.

As for this site going downhill or whatever, too my mind it's much the same as always, a gaggle of geeks, gumps, gimps and goofballs with the odd goatrider thrown in for good measure, who need to get a FAIR DINKUM clue, thankfully whether it's appreciated or not, I pop in from time to time to at least try and educate you flogs!

8-)

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

:wink: :lol:

Milton66
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:
stinger wrote: it was......a fun place that is......things got nasty after the thomas sacking....

The site became divided between the easily conned who fell for the snakeoil routine and the perspicacious individuals such as myself who knew that this buffoon was costing the club premierships or at the least a much better chance of delivering them.

One of the worse things that ever happened to this club was when Butterss and Thomas hijacked the club and seized control.

After Tim Watson gifted us a the biggest draft bonanza in history, the club was going to rise up the ladder regardless of who was running the joint.

What was needed was a professional football department delivered from day one and more than an ex- Warnnabool rookie coach as MC for an amateur hour that dragged on for six years!

I'm rapt that the club finally has a FAIR DINKUM, Real McCoy coach who sets trends and a professional football department as opposed to a one man show with corporate mumbo jumbo, who on the one hand demands six figure sums be spent on overseas holidays disguised as training camps and at the same time can't deliver a playing list fit enough for the challenges of AFL football!

In fairness to Grant " fitness and conditioning staff are overrated " Thomas, most buffoons and numbnuts on here would have faired no better had they hijacked the club, paid themselves $500,000 a year, destroyed the relationship with the VFL affiliate, developed no rookies and drafted appallingly on some picks whereby the coach made the call, without even mentioning the clayton's game plan bereft of tactics and an ego that no locker room could contain ensuring we got monumentally screwed by the AFL.

Ross Lyon inherited an unfit and slow list and has been cleaning up the mess ever since!

Ok so Lovett hasn't worked out, but you can't blame Lyon and the football department for trying to address an achilles heel and turn this situation around ASAP, while Riewoldt and Hayes are still in their prime.

We lack a bit of pace, Lovett would have gone some way towards addressing this and I thought the gamble was definitely worth it.

When given a second chance not too many players piss it up against the wall as it appears Lovett has done.

We have IMHO the best coach in the AFL and never before in this clubs history have we had such a professional football department as what we have now and once again Lyon has helped shape this.

As for this site going downhill or whatever, too my mind it's much the same as always, a gaggle of geeks, gumps, gimps and goofballs with the odd goatrider thrown in for good measure, who need to get a FAIR DINKUM clue, thankfully whether it's appreciated or not, I pop in from time to time to at least try and educate you flogs!

8-)
Without doubt your 3 greatest achievements for this club:

1- Social Club Foundation membership

2- Getting Ross Lyon appointed as coach

3- Negotiating the move to Seaford.

Perhaps they will name the pavillion after you down at our "new" spiritual home.

:D

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

BigMart

FWIW I am always very interested to read what you have to say: even though you have had a RHG at me on a number of occasions.

I am sure there is something in what your informants told you. If J Smith is in such a great mental space, then why was he traded.

Pls don't let the b_stards get you down and keep coming back here and posting what you think. You have forgotten more about footy than they (or I) will ever know,

Cheers

MB

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Timwit was a shythouse coach.

The football world was dumber for his effort.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
Without doubt your 3 greatest achievements for this club:

1- Social Club Foundation membership

2- Getting Ross Lyon appointed as coach

3- Negotiating the move to Seaford.

Perhaps they will name the pavillion after you down at our "new" spiritual home.

:D
Excuse me I had nothing to do with The Seaford move!

p.s You might have included getting Thomas exited out, I can still remember the day when Rod called me and asked for my advice!

8-)

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
asiu

theres something not quite right with u lot

(mb excepted of course)

ace
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
linz wrote: Exactly. We were two goals away from a flag.
one point actually...if the world was fair....but it's not...one of their goals was a point...and the goal after the siren doesn't count.....there was no one on the mark and the opposition player......i still can't bring myself to say that "g "word....ran over the mark....can't play on after the siren....so 1 point...imhfo.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Unprofessional by the St Kilda player to abandon the mark.
Unprofessional by the St Kilda players not to guard the goal line.
Unprofessional by the umpire not to observe that the G player kicked from in front of the mark = play on after the siren = no score.
Unprofessional by the goal umpire and field umpires not to score the behind as a behind.

Beaten by a point and unprofessionalism.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Shaggy
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Plugger I could say the sky was Blue and you would question if it were correct......the fact is J.Smith rated himself very highly and the father/son assured his team mates he was a shoe in to go top three otherwise and that he was a walk up starter in the 22 at anytime and being Ross Smiths son was owed a spot on the list.....he was a lazy trainer, continual complainer and loved the clubs.....not denying he has talent...

I heard this from a couple of ex-players who I got to do a clinic at my school.....both coaching now.....top blokes..

they also told me Aaron Edwards is a pretty good kid, with some issues which hold him back....he cannot deal with boundaries..

and a few other things aswell...not too many kind words for Gibbo
Mate, FWIW, I wasn't happy that you commented on Lovett before he had a chance to redeem himself and his career.

Ok, so now your words are prophetic and he mucked up.

Doesn't mean you should come on here with an "I told you so" attitude and seeking revenge against those who disagreed with you.

Sadly, you have been proven correct, and I'd hope that no one is sadder than you in this instance. This isn't how anyone wanted it to work out.
What are you talking about? There is no reference to Lovett above.

I assume BigMart is referring to Adam Simpson and some-one else from North who is now coaching. So they think Smith is talented but lazy and up himself. That’s interesting and I appreciate BigMart sharing it. I will still make up my own mind depending on what he does with the Saints.

The gang mentality on Saintsational really needs to f*** off. You guys are seriously posting hard on this site but it doesn’t mean the site is about you.

Go figure … some of us are interested in what Simpson thinks rather than the gang … lol.

Gibbo is Gibson not Gilbert lol (for MarkP).

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

8-)
Outstanding post, barks, and I don't necessarily agree with everything you say. At least, you have offered an unabridged opinion and I respect that. I think GT and RB deserve some credit for at least putting the Saints in the picture. They did say in 2000(?) that they wanted to create an era of success. In 2010 we are right up there and have been in the mix since 2004. They did make mistakes and may have destroyed Ball and Kosi's fitness in the process. I agree 100% with your comments on the Ross Lyon era and I was one who was sceptical in the beginning. Anyway enough said and my gosh I hope that this time next year we are discussing why we WON the flag.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
i cant follow this argument from drain. tommy walsh and pick 16 were not related in any shape or form. entirely separate deals. ok we got walsh. good job on that. but surely drain is bound to do the best with pick 16 as well? not to mention 25 for ball that we never got to use...
I think the thinking was that considering we got Walsh, we didn't have to treat Pick 16 as our 'never trade away your first draft pick' sort of thing.

Under normal circumstances (ie. no Walsh) I really doubt we would have traded Pick 16.

fair enough. but im more irked with this "weak draft" stuff. its a crap message to be coming from inside a club. by all means media people can comment on it. but how do u feel if u are nick winmar? hey nick we got u at 32 - but its a weak draft so u are really only like a 70 pick normally - so to be honest deep down we think ur pretty crap.

they may as well just have said that.
Bottom line is players got drafted.
It doesn't matter whether they are taken No1 in the national draft or No50 in the rookie draft.
Except for the initial salary difference everyone starts equal, they get promoted into the senior team based on merit = performance.
Future salaries are based on merit = performance.

The draft is no different to applying for any job.
You may need formal qualifications to get the job and better marks may help you get the job.
But once you get the job your marks are of zero value, it is all down to your performance.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Richter
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: People could have their views, without being ganged up on - or as it seems now, have your views twisted into ridiculous accusations of taking pleasure in the assault of a young woman.
Whilst it comes across from you as hypocritical to label another post as 'pathetic behaviour' after your own insult a few weeks back, in this instance I agree with you. That sentence in the post at the bottom of the second page is in my view unacceptable and should ensure that poster takes a short break.

Big Mart comes on and shares his views and things he hears around the traps and ends up being insulted in a vile fashion.
Shaggy wrote:I assume BigMart is referring to Adam Simpson and some-one else from North who is now coaching. So they think Smith is talented but lazy and up himself. That’s interesting and I appreciate BigMart sharing it. I will still make up my own mind depending on what he does with the Saints.

The gang mentality on Saintsational really needs to f*** off. You guys are seriously posting hard on this site but it doesn’t mean the site is about you.

Go figure … some of us are interested in what Simpson thinks rather than the gang … lol.

Gibbo is Gibson not Gilbert lol (for MarkP).
+1

You are one of the top 3 posters on here Marto please don't be put off by some of the keyboard warriors on here.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...