Training Tuesday Jan 19th 10am

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Thanks for the report.
Spinner wrote:

Steven in the forward group.
IIRC when recruited the write-up at the time when comparing him to an existing AFL player compared him to Chapman.
Yeah he does look a bit like Chapman, however I think he will end up a full time midfielder after a few years in the forward line, from the day we drafted him I've had the best feeling about him coming good, and his one game has done nothing to extinguish that...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

IIRC when recruited the write-up at the time when comparing him to an existing AFL player compared him to Chapman.
if that was the case, way off the mark IMHO

saint4life
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

How so?

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
chook23 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

How so?
build/marking ability for size/

rare type in football sense.........harmes/matthews type

saint4life
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Anyone see Peake?
I gather Dooley the reason for the Avatar is that you hope to exorcise the demons of the 2009 Grand Final?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
jk23
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:training was good overall

there was more talking than work done, but they made up for it at the end by signing everything for everyone.

as said before, Roo was the last in, i dont think there was one child there that didnt get a photo with him, not every captain does that, so well done to him.

as spinner said, kosi signed my arm, and yes i will be wrapping my left arm up in plastic bags before i shower for the next 2 years!
and yes SaintDebi, that was me up the back :wink:
If only kosi's name was shorter i would have it tattooed!! :wink:

ace
Saintsational Legend

Image[/quote]

What did Tommy do wrong that he was punished by being made to wear orange.

He wont be able to return to Ireland for the rest of his life. :wink:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

jk23 wrote:

there was more talking than work done, but they made up for it at the end by signing everything for everyone.

as said before, Roo was the last in, i dont think there was one child there that didnt get a photo with him, not every captain does that, so well done to him.

as spinner said, kosi signed my arm, and yes i will be wrapping my left arm up in plastic bags before i shower for the next 2 years!
Four letters too long?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ace
Saintsational Legend

I thought we had got rid of all our rubbish players.

Seems like there is one left.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
jk23
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
jk23 wrote:

Four letters too long?
His full name........

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Image

I thought we had got rid of all our rubbish players.

Seems like there is one left.
hahaha !!! :lol:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Was it his first kick against the Hawks that resulted in a goal from 50?

But yes, I like it!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

IIRC he was compared to another cat, Jimmy Bartel.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Would be happy if he ended up as good as either of them TBH but I see a bit more of Chapman in him, his goal sense, body type, skills... he seems like the sort of player who's 20 touches can be worth 35 to most players...

I think he is a pretty similar player to Dangerfield from Adelaide, I will watch both these players develop with interest...

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Would be happy if he ended up as good as either of them TBH but I see a bit more of Chapman in him, his goal sense, body type, skills... he seems like the sort of player who's 20 touches can be worth 35 to most players...

I think he is a pretty similar player to Dangerfield from Adelaide, I will watch both these players develop with interest...
At the moment I see him as a small/medium who is a capable VFL player
who had a sniff................

chapman/bartel etc wishful thinking......

time will tell :wink:

saint4life
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Spinner wrote:

At the moment I see him as a small/medium who is a capable VFL player
who had a sniff................

chapman/bartel etc wishful thinking......

time will tell :wink:
The Chapman & Bartel comments were simply recollections of what was said by others at the time he was drafted. However at the end of the day it really means nothing.

Hopefully in 10 years time players will be drafted and compared to Jack Steven :lol:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:chapman/bartel etc wishful thinking......
Players always get compared to AFL stars. Nobody ever says that a prospect is the next Sean Dempster. It's also very common for Falcons players to get compared to Cats players. Steven is closer in size to Chapman than Bartel, and if you look at his last year of junior, his numbers were very Chapman-like (except that Chapman converts better). 15 games, 20 touches a game, 17goals, 20 behinds, 20 score assists playing forward and midfield. The comparison makes sense, whether or not Steven winds up as good as Chapman.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Players always get compared to AFL stars. Nobody ever says that a prospect is the next Sean Dempster. It's also very common for Falcons players to get compared to Cats players. Steven is closer in size to Chapman than Bartel, and if you look at his last year of junior, his numbers were very Chapman-like (except that Chapman converts better). 15 games, 20 touches a game, 17goals, 20 behinds, 20 score assists playing forward and midfield. The comparison makes sense, whether or not Steven winds up as good as Chapman.
Surely people who say he is like Chapman are joking. He cannot mark over head and doesnt have his goal sense. he is nothing like Chapman or Bartel because he isnt a marking player. He is more of a Lenny Hayes type than either of those especially if he gets his fitness up which has improved considerably this season.

Forget about looking at body shapes, look at the way they play.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Freakin Racehorse.

--

Gotta admit...he looks pretty hard.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Image

Freakin Racehorse.

--

Gotta admit...he looks pretty hard.
Please don't get above yourself, yes he can kick lace out to a running player and yes he can mark with clean hands...(judging by today's public try out)

Yes he has a good physique, but again I would like to see him against some decent opposition and not a training run...

Ah yes, he has proven he can win a contested footy in Gaelic football and has great skill with his both foot and hand and has the ability to avaid opponents at will....

Am I missing something....

:wink:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Surely people who say he is like Chapman are joking. He cannot mark over head and doesnt have his goal sense. he is nothing like Chapman or Bartel because he isnt a marking player. He is more of a Lenny Hayes type than either of those especially if he gets his fitness up which has improved considerably this season.

Forget about looking at body shapes, look at the way they play.
It was...

The comment was comparing both as juniors as VS stated....as was made by someone who had good junior knowledge of both.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Awesome photos and reports guys. Makes you realise this really is the highest level of this sport,,,this is January!

Was intending to be there but for various reasons couldn't be....

D'OH!

Any other open training sessions coming up? I'll have to wait 'til the intra-club (Feb 12th?).

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:Awesome photos and reports guys. Makes you realise this really is the highest level of this sport,,,this is January!

Was intending to be there but for various reasons couldn't be....

D'OH!

Any other open training sessions coming up? I'll have to wait 'til the intra-club (Feb 12th?).
The club will advise details for our next open training session shortly and will publish this on the website, Facebook and Twitter.
http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:The comment was comparing both as juniors as VS stated...
The comparison was Steven as a junior to Chapman as a senior. Draft people always link junior players to AFL stars. Matt Burgan compared Farren Ray to Simon Black. Every decent medium half forward gets linked to Ryan O'Keefe. It doesn't mean much of anything.

Given Steven was a Geelong forward/midfielder who got a lot of ball, kicked goals and set up a lot of scores, it's a fairly obvious comparison, even if plugger66 doesn't like it. I don't think anyone was saying that Steven's a carbon copy of Paul Chapman. If he was, he wouldn't have lasted to pick 42.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:The comment was comparing both as juniors as VS stated...
The comparison was Steven as a junior to Chapman as a senior. Draft people always link junior players to AFL stars. Matt Burgan compared Farren Ray to Simon Black. Every decent medium half forward gets linked to Ryan O'Keefe. It doesn't mean much of anything.

Given Steven was a Geelong forward/midfielder who got a lot of ball, kicked goals and set up a lot of scores, it's a fairly obvious comparison, even if plugger66 doesn't like it. I don't think anyone was saying that Steven's a carbon copy of Paul Chapman. If he was, he wouldn't have lasted to pick 42.
I wasnt saying he was or wasnt a carbon copy of Chapman. He actually plays nothing like him now and i am not sure as a junior he took marks like him either. By the way how many goals did he get in his year at the Falcans? Anyway who cares what he was like as a junior. Now he is nothing like Chapman or Bartel and as I said he is much more like Hayes than either of those 2.