aflpa goes into bat for lovett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

123 wrote:Why would anyone even care to speculate or form an opinion on lovett untill the investigation is complete and a verdict is carried out is beyond me. Let him play until he is convicted, harden the fu*ck up and if he is proven guilty sack him on the spot.

If he is proven guilty and has been misleading the club throughout 2010 sue him for damages.
agree, makes sense to me.

We do need him in our midfield.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

123 wrote:Why would anyone even care to speculate or form an opinion on lovett untill the investigation is complete and a verdict is carried out is beyond me. Let him play until he is convicted, harden the fu*ck up and if he is proven guilty sack him on the spot.

If he is proven guilty and has been misleading the club throughout 2010 sue him for damages.
Yep just let him play even if charged and players from our club know what happened. Makes complete sense. Dont worry what the AFL say either. That doesnt matter.

Then we sue him. Not sure why we would sue him if we let him play but hey, why not.

Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Yep just let him play even if charged and players from our club know what happened. Makes complete sense. Dont worry what the AFL say either. That doesnt matter.

Then we sue him. Not sure why we would sue him if we let him play but hey, why not.
Its a black and white world out there and your adding too much colour.

Leave the court and prosecutor to do their job not the world of hearsay

The Peanut
Club Player

There are negative and positive 'what if's'.

When Joey and Milney were in the same boat there was a heap of speculation but there were still lots of people sticking up for them too, or at least waiting to hear the official outcome before pulling out the knife.

'What if' he is innocent.

All this talk and carry on by the supporters and the media will surely crucify his future no matter what the police investigation and/or court case outcomes are.

I guess The Peanut is out of the loop yet again, with everyone else having more info on the actual happenings than him - to surmise that he is definitely guilty.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:There are negative and positive 'what if's'.

When Joey and Milney were in the same boat there was a heap of speculation but there were still lots of people sticking up for them too, or at least waiting to hear the official outcome before pulling out the knife.

All this talk and carry on by the supporters and the media will surely crucify his future no matter what the police investigation and/or court case outcomes are.

I guess The Peanut is out of the loop yet again, with everyone else having more info on the actual happenings than him - to surmise that he is definitely guilty.
with you peanut

have often posted wait and see etc

but on SS (in the main) and media basically have his papers already signed......

The damage from that has gone deep

saint4life
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's an obligatory statement by the AFLPA. It has to make some kind of statement because pretty soon the shite is going to hit the fan.

If what I've heard from a few people is correct, then things are going to get particularly unpleasant for A.Lovett in the next few weeks. The AFLPA will be treading new ground. So will everyone else in the AFL.

My understanding is that every player in th AFL is aware of the details surrounding the incident. And people I know who work in journalism are of the opinion that it must be grim for Lovett if the papers have been willing to reveal so much before he's even been charged.

But then again, they could all be blowing smoke up my arse.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:It's an obligatory statement by the AFLPA. It has to make some kind of statement because pretty soon the shite is going to hit the fan.

If what I've heard from a few people is correct, then things are going to get particularly unpleasant for A.Lovett in the next few weeks. The AFLPA will be treading new ground. So will everyone else in the AFL.

My understanding is that every player in th AFL is aware of the details surrounding the incident. And people I know who work in journalism are of the opinion that it must be grim for Lovett if the papers have been willing to reveal so much before he's even been charged.

But then again, they could all be blowing smoke up my arse.

I’d like to think your sphincter is being used as a chimney cwrcyn, however it’s hard trying to remain optimistic on this subject :(

Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:
My understanding is that every player in th AFL is aware of the details surrounding the incident.

That is hearsay and not submissible evidence.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

If the AFLPA gets too pushy with St Kilda, I have no doubt that the AFL will deregister him.

They did it with Benny boy and he'd never been convicted of anything.

I doubt Mr Lovett will ever be registered again though.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Much of the negativity towards AL skyrocketed when the club acted so strongly & swiftly on the issue on Christmas Eve. This to me suggests that there are people in powerful positions within the club who believe that he is guilty of a very serious crime !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

suss
Club Player

Eastern wrote:

Much of the negativity towards AL skyrocketed when the club acted so strongly & swiftly on the issue on Christmas Eve. This to me suggests that there are people in powerful positions within the club who believe that he is guilty of a very serious crime !!
You’re starting to sound like my mum Eastern. She still thinks Lindy Chamberlain is guilty, largely due to a bad haircut and a monster pair of shades.

The club did the right thing, no doubt about that. But I’ll reserve my judgement until he’s convicted - and we don’t even have a charge yet.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Eastern wrote:

You’re starting to sound like my mum Eastern. She still thinks Lindy Chamberlain is guilty, largely due to a bad haircut and a monster pair of shades.

The club did the right thing, no doubt about that. But I’ll reserve my judgement until he’s convicted - and we don’t even have a charge yet.
what thsi about mums/. My mum also thinks lindy chanberlain is guilty.

GrumpyOne

saintly wrote:what thsi about mums/. My mum also thinks lindy chanberlain is guilty.
Ernie Dingo didn't do it.

saintlee
Club Player

123 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Its not as simple as that.

The players don't want Lovett around, and for good reason.

Lovett is nothing but trouble...getting into this much trouble before playing a single game for us shows his lack of respect and character....forget him, he's gone....

GrumpyOne

saintlee wrote:The players don't want Lovett around,
This is an oft-repeated assertion on all the Lovett threads, but I cannot recall it being substantiated anywhere. Do we have a source for this comment?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
saintlee wrote:The players don't want Lovett around,
This is an oft-repeated assertion on all the Lovett threads, but I cannot recall it being substantiated anywhere. Do we have a source for this comment?
I believe in every article I have read nothing has been quoted...always been along according to sources/it is believed or just teamates don't want him around etc etc...

who knows....but if player(s) or official(s) have mentioned anything of the record THAT HAS INFACT STAYED THAT........

if the journo(s) could quote someone they would add that mayonnaise to the story............especially the way the media reort things these days IMO

saint4life
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote: ...

This might once have been the case. The biggest change that the speed to market for news rendered by blogs, tweets, and the online market is the nature of the news. 20 Years ago, the editors question to their reporter was "can you prove this is true", today it's "can you prove someone said it".

The way some things have been presented could be construed as prejudicial... but as long as they limit their liability, these days they're after the glory of "breaking" the story rather than the "scoop" of an exclusive.

Beware basing too much expectation of a court's finding on the narrative of the press. They've got very different mandates and very different processes.
Eastern wrote: Much of the negativity towards AL skyrocketed when the club acted so strongly & swiftly on the issue on Christmas Eve. This to me suggests that there are people in powerful positions within the club who believe that he is guilty of a very serious crime !!
I'd also beware of reading too much into this reaction. Lovett had been warned after his birthday incident. A move to suspend was not going to be a surprise for ANY infraction. Let alone a potentially explosive situation handed to them on Christmas eve. An indefinite suspension is the path which both covers the club for the most possible scenarios and keeps the most options open.

On one hand, I've got to admit that by this stage, I never expect to see Lovett play a game for us. On the other, until it actually rolls around, my hot air is worth no more than anyone elses, and my genuine evidence and precedent is nil.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Lovett is nothing but trouble...getting into this much trouble before playing a single game for us shows his lack of respect and character....forget him, he's gone....

Hang on, when we drafted him and spent $1000,000 of the clubs money we said we were confident we could turn his attitude around. As a member I’m not happy that $1000,000 has/will be spent on him and we just cut him free. He needs time to turn himself around; this is not an overnight process. Unless he is proven guilty in court play him, and as for the playing group/ they are professional athletes should I hand them a tissue? I want a friggn FLAG stop being so soft people

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

123 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hang on, when we drafted him and spent $1000,000 of the clubs money we said we were confident we could turn his attitude around. As a member I’m not happy that $1000,000 has/will be spent on him and we just cut him free. He needs time to turn himself around; this is not an overnight process. Unless he is proven guilty in court play him, and as for the playing group/ they are professional athletes should I hand them a tissue? I want a friggn FLAG stop being so soft people
I think you are the voice of reason 123.

WHY hasn't a charge been laid yet?

Is it a lack of evidence issue?

Whatever happens (and I want him to play on for us), I'd like it to resolved by mid-Feb at the latest.

It is wrong to suspend a player for more than 2 months IMO.......I think this is a big issue for the AFLPA/AFL in general....

Regardless of charges laid/no charges laid, there needs to be a timeframe where is either back with the group or sacked, for everyone's (including potential sponsors/current sponsors) benefit.

saintlee
Club Player

123 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm not happy we have to pay him either.....we shouldn't have drafted him at all....but thats only become obvious with hindsight

He was given an opportunity to turn himself around, he then gets picked up for being drunk in public.....he is then given a second chance....what does he do only a few weeks later? So what, you think he deserves a third chance to get it right? I don't.....2 strikes before he has even pulled on a Saints jumper is too many in my book

This is not about being soft either, thats a ignorant stupid thing to say. This is a very serious crime he has allegedly committed. You shouldn't be so flippant with the issue of rape

Club Player

saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm not happy we have to pay him either.....we shouldn't have drafted him at all....but thats only become obvious with hindsight

He was given an opportunity to turn himself around, he then gets picked up for being drunk in public.....he is then given a second chance....what does he do only a few weeks later? So what, you think he deserves a third chance to get it right? I don't.....2 strikes before he has even pulled on a Saints jumper is too many in my book

This is not about being soft either, thats a ignorant stupid thing to say. This is a very serious crime he has allegedly committed. You shouldn't be so flippant with the issue of rape
1) Opportunity to turn himself around was not long enough

2) I shouldn’t have an opinion on this issue of rape because I don’t have access to the evidence! I would tell my playing group the same! and not let them form an unsubstantiated opinions like yourself!

The runaway train here is management bowing to a sensitive issue and alowing players and supporters to take a moral stance - its weak and has nothing to do with football. If he is guilty sack him, if he is not play him.

You can punish him for putting himself in that position but untill he is proven guilty of breaking the law after a short period of suspension play the guy.

saintlee
Club Player

123 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

2) I shouldn’t have an opinion on this issue of rape because I don’t have access to the evidence! I would tell my playing group the same! and not let them form an unsubstantiated opinions like yourself!

The runaway train here is management bowing to a sensitive issue and alowing players and supporters to take a moral stance - its weak and has nothing to do with football. If he is guilty sack him, if he is not play him.

You can punish him for putting himself in that position but untill he is proven guilty of breaking the law after a short period of suspension play the guy.
Lovett has a long history of misbehaviour and he shows no signs of reversing that formline....I would love to see our leadership group turn him around, but not sure he can be given any more chances after this incident....

Jason Gram would know quite a lot about this incident I suspect, it occurred in his house...you don't think Gram would be talking to the other boys about it? Even if he is not, the cat's out of the bag now....opinions will always be formed depending your viewpoint on these issues

Lovett well and truely deserves to be punished for putting himself in this position, and he has been. I think the club has acting appropriately in suspending him.

The AFL and the clubs are not just about sport these days, they have moral obligations to the community. Denying that is crazy. I don't see how St Kilda could do anything but act on this matter.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If Lovett is found guilty and goes to jail - you can be guaranteed he will be turned around.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
saintlee wrote:
123 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Lovett has a long history of misbehaviour and he shows no signs of reversing that formline....I would love to see our leadership group turn him around, but not sure he can be given any more chances after this incident....

Jason Gram would know quite a lot about this incident I suspect, it occurred in his house...you don't think Gram would be talking to the other boys about it? Even if he is not, the cat's out of the bag now....opinions will always be formed depending your viewpoint on these issues

Lovett well and truely deserves to be punished for putting himself in this position, and he has been. I think the club has acting appropriately in suspending him.

The AFL and the clubs are not just about sport these days, they have moral obligations to the community. Denying that is crazy. I don't see how St Kilda could do anything but act on this matter.

Do you think the CRIMINAL COURT and our legal system has a moral obligation to the community also? INNOCENT UNTILL PROVEN GUILTY. What is the AFL a higher moral code than our legal system?

Have the police Incarcerated him? He is free to walk down the street so let him play!

Gram and others are HEARSAY.. I suggest you look it up.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:If Lovett is found guilty and goes to jail - you can be guaranteed he will be turned around.
Gold! :lol:

“Yeah….nah””