Good news for all interstate Sainters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Badlands
Club Player

As a canberran i'm pretty stoked with this move by the club.

Kosi, Bakes, Jarryn and Nick Heyne all scheduled to come to the ACT.

Fantastic.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Brilliant idea.

This is the key period for building membership revenue.

It's all about that at the moment from an off-field perspective.

It can only help boost our numbers IMO.

This iniative should directly increase the number of new members we sign up.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

everyone does realise its the same as before....now you just have to pay 40$ to see a few players and you get a seat??

im actually not too impressed

the kids things is great and a fantastic idea but you reckon kids would prefer to be told to learn how to lead and mark by nick riewoldt or how to kick correctly like nicky dal?
or kick to kick with four or so blokes and 3 of them they prob dont even know?.

brilliant ideas
poorly executed.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Matrix, those "free" functions were never "free" to the club. At the worst there was room hire, or at least there was up here. THink of the cost that is involved with sending the team around the country.

The cocktail party idea started up here as it was so successful and they cost money to run. You get the players for 2 hrs its a great format. Why shouldn't St Kilda expect payment. We will never get ahead if everyone wants everthing for free. Besides the kids clinics are free.

Everyone should be attending both these functions. Its no use wanting access to the players and then when the club send them, say, oh, I would prefer someone else. If we want functions with players, get behind your supporter groups and attend.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed bev and im prob coming across as a grumble bum this morn.

the cash doesnt bother me.
i just think the captain should be in every state for the kids thing.
i would have no prob paying 40$ for the cocktail thingy (sounds a bit too yuppie tho, could i rock up in jeans and a saints polo????)
but i wont be
as i cant take the game nights off AND another night for a cocktail function.

but even that doesnt bother me.

but if i was taking my little tackers to the kids day for a kick
id want to see nick riewoldt teaching my son how to extend his arms out and watch the footy. or nicky dal on how to kick a footy correctly.
and that you could have done and charged 10$.
my kid would point to simpkin and say whos that?

brilliant ideas yes
coulda been done a tad better...maybe.

Sunday Red
Club Player

matrix wrote:i just think the captain should be in every state for the kids thing.

if i was taking my little tackers to the kids day for a kick id want to see nick riewoldt teaching my son how to extend his arms out and watch the footy. or nicky dal on how to kick a footy correctly.

brilliant ideas yes
Have you noticed that the cocktail functions and clinics are all occurring simultaneously? Perhaps it's an initiative by the club to minimise disruption while appeasing thousands of fans who otherwise have zero access to the players. Surely you wouldn't expect Nick to fly to Hobart, Launceston, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Canberra in the space of a few weeks for a one hour clinic?

While Nick Riewoldt is a superstar, I think your comments are hugely disrespectful to the other players in the team. If you want to show your kids the marking prowess of Nick, why not the tackling of Clint Jones? Why not the evasive skills of Lenny Hayes? Why not the goal kicking ability of Steven Milne? Why not the pinpoint accuracy of Brendon Goddard. We're more than a one man team and there looks to be some A-grade players going to each state.

If they sent more players and charged $10, members would moan and grumble that the club was trying to cash in on the event. They've done something positive for interstate members and all it seems people like yourself aren't happy because the entire list is not going to give one on one tuition to your kids!

Perspective.......

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Sunday Red wrote:
matrix wrote:i just think the captain should be in every state for the kids thing.

if i was taking my little tackers to the kids day for a kick id want to see nick riewoldt teaching my son how to extend his arms out and watch the footy. or nicky dal on how to kick a footy correctly.

brilliant ideas yes
Have you noticed that the cocktail functions and clinics are all occurring simultaneously? Perhaps it's an initiative by the club to minimise disruption while appeasing thousands of fans who otherwise have zero access to the players. Surely you wouldn't expect Nick to fly to Hobart, Launceston, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Canberra in the space of a few weeks for a one hour clinic?

While Nick Riewoldt is a superstar, I think your comments are hugely disrespectful to the other players in the team. If you want to show your kids the marking prowess of Nick, why not the tackling of Clint Jones? Why not the evasive skills of Lenny Hayes? Why not the goal kicking ability of Steven Milne? Why not the pinpoint accuracy of Brendon Goddard. We're more than a one man team and there looks to be some A-grade players going to each state.

If they sent more players and charged $10, members would moan and grumble that the club was trying to cash in on the event. They've done something positive for interstate members and all it seems people like yourself aren't happy because the entire list is not going to give one on one tuition to your kids!

Perspective.......
perspective?
roo was the only one mentioned by me??????

and yes id expect him/others to fly to each city.
if i can drive non stop to and from melb three times in four weeks to see the lads play then i think someone who is a pro footballer and who loves what he does for a living would like to show kids as much as could.

saying they all occur at the same time doesnt help the conversation.
because if he did go to most states it would be spaced out over a week wouldnt it??.

great ideas, jonsey teaching how to tackle, milney teaching how to dodge and snap, bj on kicking at a distance to a leading target, lenny hayes teaching side steps and hard work, nicky dal showing kids how to drop the ball onto the foot correctly.
hey i agree.
disrespect..... :roll:

Sunday Red
Club Player

matrix wrote:saying they all occur at the same time doesnt help the conversation.
because if he did go to most states it would be spaced out over a week wouldnt it??
Yeah great idea.

Instead of sending them all away for one night, let's send players away throughout a series of weeks and completely f*ck up the pre-season training schedule! :lol:

The clinics are on Saturdays, presumably for parents to be available to take their kids along. If you change the timing to force players to go to EVERY state, it's going to take over a month which would not be feasible.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

sigh........

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

one way the club could have gone about this without disrupting the players training routine & save a chyt load of money at the same time.....

sometimes ya gotta think outside the square & go with the person thats most qaulified to answer questions from the audience

the person that springs to mind is ....barks

he could give his views on

numbers behind the ball
ruck stats
hitouts to advantage
the importance of training services
recruiting...no way barks would have picked up the likes of
mcgough,watts,ball,ackland,fiora, fn brookes with picks 8 & 30 etc etc
where the club should be located
what rolls the coach should have at a club

there's a 101 questions he could have answered in his own unique way

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Rickabee wrote:Unfortunately, no visit to Sydney!

I guess we miss out up here. Maybe next year???
...when they visit International supporters.

sensaint
Club Player

Hi Ya Rog, Do you know which players are coming to Perth?

Waiting since '66
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Farren Ray, Clint Jones from the top 22 from last year. Nicholas Winmar, Luke Miles and a couple of others whose names escape me atm.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

peake too
the links been posted a few times now

http://www.saints.com.au/saints%20in%20 ... fault.aspx

sensaint
Club Player

Thank You

Waiting since '66
degruch
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:the kids things is great and a fantastic idea but you reckon kids would prefer to be told to learn how to lead and mark by nick riewoldt or how to kick correctly like nicky dal?
or kick to kick with four or so blokes and 3 of them they prob dont even know?
Kidfs love this stuff though, no matter who it is. I agree that it'd be nice to have some higher profile guys over here for this visit (half of them are just coming home to visit the parents, I'm sure), but when I was a kiddie we had clinics with South Melbourne's Stevie Wright and Essendon's Tim Watson (plus a few others, I can't remember) and I absolutely loved it. Sure, they could have sent Trevor Barker (in fact, I would shut up to Stevie Wright about how fantastic Barks was), but it didn't matter to me, all the kids were stoked.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Yeah, I agree regarding the kids thing. Top notch idea, especially the really young ones. It's just the senior members coming to Perth don't really grab my attention. Good players, yeah, frontliners, not really (and yes, I know they're West Aussies, but so are half the Eagles and Dockers). Yes Clint and Ray are good and valuable members to the team, I know. Was just hoping (selfishly I might add) for a bit more in terms of fan favourites.

nuttsy
Club Player

Kosi's coming to Canberra and I'm ecstatic!!! I'll have to keep a short leash on my wife though

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:sigh........
matrix i think you miss the point ... as interstate members we in the past have got nothing in regards to access to players there has never been an opertunity to hold a footy clinic for the kids ... be thankful for what we get insted of complaining about what we dont get !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintly
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
matrix wrote:sigh........
matrix i think you miss the point ... as interstate members we in the past have got nothing in regards to access to players there has never been an opertunity to hold a footy clinic for the kids ... be thankful for what we get insted of complaining about what we dont get !!
and if the interstate people are happy with the idea why should melbournians complain.

nuttsy
Club Player

well the saints have just been to canberra and it was an absolute hoot! Kosi was sensational, easy to talk to and very friendly but the highlight was Stevie Baker. That bloke is an absolute scream, so different to what I'm used to seeing on tv.

I really hope they do this again next year, it was the best