THE DVD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

THE DVD

Got the DVD in the member pack and just watched it.......bugger knowing the end of a movie but still highly enjoyable.
Without starting another Luke Ball rant..I really don't mean to ...but....I hardly saw a Luke Ball contribution on the disc...was that a considered thought process by the makers or simply an accurate and realistic debrief overall ? The DVD highlights our attacks at goal and to be honest Ball is almost not sighted.
This will cause some debate either way and I realise there are more facets to the game that would bring Ball into the equation..still... a glaring omission from the action.
Which begs my question...are we losing much?

Saintersss
Club Player

People really need to get over it...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:People really need to get over it...
I was really hoping I wasn't going to get a response like that. :oops:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I've watched it too, but Bally was never the most obvious player anyway. Don't think he was deliberately left out, well maybe he was.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Without having watched this particular DVD, season highlight packages are normally compilations of goals. Around the ground play that doesn't result in a score isn't usually included unless it's particularly pivotal or a special kind of play and since almost all of Ball's work was in the centre, I wouldn't look too much into it.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I just got it today and watched it a couple of hours ago and I did see Luke a few times. My observation would be that they didn't seem to cover him up or bring him to any partivcular prominance. Their handling seemed "neutral" to me.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Knowing the end result of 2009, I think I will only ever be able to watch this DVD after we win another premiership!

The 2009 season is not memorable for me in anyway whatsoever, prefer not to be reminded actually and will only ever have any significance IMHO, when we win the 2010 Premiership!

As for watching the 2009 Grand Final again it's high up on my list of things to do,

located somewhere after,

dipping myself in honey and playing with a hive of african bees,

covering myself in sugar and maple syrup and lying down next to a bullant nest,

dressing up as a seal and swimming with killer whales and white pointers,

jumping into a pit full of vipers and rattlesnakes,

diving into a croc infested river,

and allowing a bucket load of tarantula's to walk all over my naked body!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

What stuck out for me was the wonky kick to gardiner in that game V geebong. Weird feeling watching that again!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I would doubt that I will even watch it...

I still have the round 14 match on the hard drive and often watch that...

I have watched most games this year about 3 to 4 times already, but again have kept the R 14 match and if I am bored it comes on...

Good on the Club for including that in their membership package and I hope supporters enjoy it, more so the newbie members, but not for me....

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

The thing that was crap about the game V Geelong, is that they had the nuffy yapping on as Gardiner topok the mark! FFS! Give us the commentary and the unbelievable crowd noise. That would be obvious you would think ! :evil:

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Rickabee wrote:I just got it today and watched it a couple of hours ago and I did see Luke a few times. My observation would be that they didn't seem to cover him up or bring him to any partivcular prominance. Their handling seemed "neutral" to me.
i just watched it then, and i agree. he was on tv a bit, but the guy didnt say his name, not for the whole thing. it was all "hayes, Dal, Jonsey.." no ball.
its a good dvd, got a bit boring watching goal after goal knowing that nothing happens at the end, but still a good watch if you have nothing to do for 15 mins.
i think i was on that dvd over 100 times :lol:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Without having watched this particular DVD, season highlight packages are normally compilations of goals. Around the ground play that doesn't result in a score isn't usually included unless it's particularly pivotal or a special kind of play and since almost all of Ball's work was in the centre, I wouldn't look too much into it.
Exactly what crossed my mind before I started this thread and tried to explain just that, that is what this dvd is all about but it also crossed my mind that the attacks highlighted won us the games...Ball wasn't amongst those attacks. So if Luke was all about defence then fair enough but I know that isn't the case.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

That DVD is still zip-locked in the bag and may never see the DVD player.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:That DVD is still zip-locked in the bag and may never see the DVD player.
my dvd has been taken out of the bag, but i doubt that i will ever watch it. unless we win a flag

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Watched the DVD last night. Can't believe the guy doing the voice over calls Farren Ray "Farren Lay" in the Round 1 part. Great to see that even I get a run in the background of one of the shots in the Gold Coast game. Please now that I'm famous no PM's for autographs!! :lol:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
mcadam05
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote:Watched the DVD last night. Can't believe the guy doing the voice over calls Farren Ray "Farren Lay" in the Round 1 part. Great to see that even I get a run in the background of one of the shots in the Gold Coast game. Please now that I'm famous no PM's for autographs!! :lol:

I think the "guy" is Tony Jones

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It was good to see and remember how bloody good the boys were.
Despite not winning the flag it was a fantastic year and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

did Luke Ball play last year ?? :wink:
seriously though its a great idea for the club to produce this kind of thing for the fans and even though we didnt win the flag we still had a great year and it is worthy of re watching ..... now i just hope my membership pack turns up so i can watch it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Skildir
Club Player

If the narrator was Tony Jones, he made some some pretty bad clangers. During the Melbourne game played on the Gold Coast, he called the spectators 'The White Show Brigade' and in a later game pronounced 'Chasm' like 'Chair' rather than 'Kasm' (if that makes sense).

I can only assume he did the whole thing in one take or did a whole bunch for a variety of clubs in a row cause he's usually pretty articulate (well, compared to Grant Hackett!). Either that or they spell words on the Channel 9 autocue foanetilkly.

By the way I think the DVD is a great initiative even if it is a bit rough around the edges.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I watched the GF replay about three days after the event. I felt that I needed to see it in a calmer frame of mind than I was in on the day. It was one of THE great games of AFL grand finals, and our club played a significant part in making it a great game, so I felt I owed our team that much respect at least (others may disagree :roll: ) to watch the match replay...I will NEVER watch it again!
Its now history and we start the struggle (as do Geelong) all over again in equal 1st/16th position at round one!
Time for strong nerves and cool heads as we enter the fray once more!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
StSteven
Club Player

2009 was a failure. I don't want to be reminded of it until we redeem ourselves and I can look at this as a "learning opportunity"!

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

StSteven wrote:2009 was a failure. I don't want to be reminded of it until we redeem ourselves and I can look at this as a "learning opportunity"!
2009 was a very good year, unfortunately didn't go all the way but I wouldn't call it a failure. There were some very impressive and positive things that occured.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Jeez Geary was very prominent.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Quixote wrote:Jeez Geary was very prominent.
Clearly had a great start to last season but seemed to drop right off the radar. I think he will be a permanent fixture next year!

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

We played great football last year, it was exciting stuff, So i cant wait to watch the highlights

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93