Lovett lodges notice of grievance with club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

MACEwasACE wrote:Solar....

You mis-understand me.

If the club believes he's guilty .... Sack him. Cause they will then anyway. If they believe he's innocent then back him and support him like they did with Milne and Montagna in 03 or 04.

As my daily job involves charging people, i'd hazzard to guess it's not an open and shut matter or Andrew would have been charged already. There appears to be areas of inconsistency which requires a more indepth investigation.

So as far as the club goes,.. Stop pussy footing around and support Andrew.. Let him train, let him play, let him bond with his team mates and then make a decision when courts (if it gets that far) have made theirs.
Do you charge people for your pearls of wisdom?

If your daily job involves charging people in a legal sense god help us all.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
MACEwasACE
Club Player

What's this.. A personal attack on me. I'm trying to defend Andrew.

If you bother to read what I wrote you would see that.

Degruch ... I never said the club should sack him. I was voicing an opinion on the matter because I am tired of the distraction this is causing and it has the potential to derail the season before it starts.

The right thing is to get him back invoved and ready for the season. If and it is an if the matter ever gets to court in 9-18 months time and there is a finding one way or another, the club can deal with it then.

But until then the club in my opinion , and i am sooooooo sorrry if it conflicts with some of your's; is to get Andy back on the track with the boys and lets win that damn flag.

IF It is to be it is up to me.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

MACEwasACE wrote:If you bother to read what I wrote you would see that.

Degruch ... I never said the club should sack him.
Hmmm...are you sure?
MACEwasACE wrote:Time to toughen up and get on with it. Let him play or sack him.
I think letting the criminal investigation run it's course, as the club is doing, is the best approach. Otherwise, potentially you've got a rapist playing on your team (morality aside, it's not a good look for the club) or an innocent guy with no job and a broken contract.

I know what you're saying though, everyone shares the frustration that this guy should be on the park, but alternatively, he should be in jail. These things can't be rushed and must be approach delicately. Even when the police investigation is over, it will still need to be handled with kit gloves...the guy's contract may still be valid even if he's found guilty.

shmic_s
Club Player

Interesting bit in an article in the age today:
A police spokeswoman yesterday confirmed that the lead investigator on the Lovett case has been on annual leave for several weeks
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/l ... -nv3a.html

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:Interesting bit in an article in the age today:
A police spokeswoman yesterday confirmed that the lead investigator on the Lovett case has been on annual leave for several weeks
FFS!!

Just as well AL hasn't commited any other alleged offences over the same period!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
suss
Club Player

This gets interesting. If Jack Rush and his panel rules that Lovett must train and must play irrespective of the investigation then it will happen, whether the club or AFL likes it or not. I suppose its a better outcome than a Supreme Court action and will bring some sort of short term resolution to all of this.

markp
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:This gets interesting. If Jack Rush and his panel rules that Lovett must train and must play irrespective of the investigation then it will happen, whether the club or AFL likes it or not.
Where do you think he'd be training and playing?... if the club has decided, it would not be in Saints colours, that's for sure.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
suss wrote:This gets interesting. If Jack Rush and his panel rules that Lovett must train and must play irrespective of the investigation then it will happen, whether the club or AFL likes it or not.
Where do you think he'd be training and playing?... if the club has decided, it would not be in Saints colours, that's for sure.
Sandy?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
I really don't understand the logic from lovett, I would have thought it's smarter to put your head down, work hard and fight the charges if you think your innocent. Unless this is about money(he is getting paid base rate, so missing out on incentives?) he is not endearing himself to anyone.

What would he really want to get out of this?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
suss
Club Player

markp wrote:
What if the AFL Grievance Tribunal orders that he should train and play with us? Assuming that they have the power to make such an order, it's a reasonable question isn't it?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
markp wrote:
I really don't understand the logic from lovett, I would have thought it's smarter to put your head down, work hard and fight the charges if you think your innocent. Unless this is about money(he is getting paid base rate, so missing out on incentives?) he is not endearing himself to anyone.

Well IF, and it's a big IF, he really believes he did nothing wrong then I'm sure he would not be happy to just put his head down, work hard and fight the charges when it could take a year or so to come to finalisation. Regardless of anything else that would effectively end his AFL career.

So without commenting on whether or not he is guilty of anything, or whether the saints should take him back etc, IF he thinks, or knows, he's in the right he has a lot to get out of it.

markp
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
markp wrote:
What if the AFL Grievance Tribunal orders that he should train and play with us? Assuming that they have the power to make such an order, it's a reasonable question isn't it?
Then he'd be training and playing at Sandy.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:I really don't understand the logic from lovett, I would have thought it's smarter to put your head down, work hard and fight the charges if you think your innocent. Unless this is about money(he is getting paid base rate, so missing out on incentives?) he is not endearing himself to anyone.

(a) If he really believes he's innocent, then he might think he has been tried and convicted in the court of public opinion and would perhaps be trying to recover some of his reputation. He might also rather enjoy playing AFL football and wants to keep playing it.

(b) If he is concerned that he might be charged and convicted, I reckon this is still a pretty good strategy. The more he fights what the club has done, the more he will appear to the public (including potential jurors) as maintaining his innocence.

I think the really stupid thing for him to do would be to crawl off into a corner. It made sense for Wayne Carey to do this, because - while what he did was arguably immoral - it certainly wasn't illegal. And (despite him continuing to maintain publicly that he and Mrs Stevens were only "talking" in the toilet) the fact that they were caught meant that nobody was ever going to believe that he hadn't done it.

I reckon AL has a (slim) chance of coming through this. If he puts enough pressure on the Saints, and doesn't get charged, he might end up playing for another club next season (I reckon this season is a write-off).

Sadly, I assume that we will be paying for the pleasure of watching him run around in someone else's colours. Such is life.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
stinger
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
shmic_s wrote:Interesting bit in an article in the age today:
FFS!!

Just as well AL hasn't commited any other alleged offences over the same period!!

do you have a problem with that.....???.i don't...everybody is entitled to annual leave...even coppers.....

....".......is increasingly tense dispute with St Kilda to the AFL's grievance tribunal after yesterday opting against Supreme Court action.

Lovett, who has been under investigation by Victoria Police for six weeks over an alleged sexual assault, has been indefinitely excluded from all group activity at the football club he joined last November after he was traded by Essendon.

In recent days, Lovett, 27, seriously contemplated taking the matter of his exclusion by St Kilda to the Supreme Court, which would have seriously jeopardised his career at the Saints before it even began. Instead, he has resolved to pursue the dispute through AFL procedures that were designed to dissuade players from taking any grievances to the courts"

...would have jeopardised more than his career......would have aired a bit too much for lovett's likings , i would think...of the main issue.....not a good move....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
suss
Club Player

markp wrote:
suss wrote:
markp wrote:
Then he'd be training and playing at Sandy.
I see what you're getting at but that just makes the actual finding/directive/order of the panel, that much more interesting.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The last time the AFL Grievance Tribunal was used, ten years ago, it took a year to resolve the dispute.

JMsainter
Club Player

I sincerely hope for Andrew's sake that it all works out for the best, because I'm afraid to think of where his life will go without a positive club environment to support him. My guess is that it would spiral into oblivion.

A very sad state of affairs.

Fired Up Again For 2010. Go Saints!!!

Kepp dreaming those impossible dreams. Spend every minute of everyday striving to reach your dreams.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

MACEwasACE wrote:Solar....

You mis-understand me.

If the club believes he's guilty .... Sack him. Cause they will then anyway. If they believe he's innocent then back him and support him like they did with Milne and Montagna in 03 or 04.

As my daily job involves charging people, i'd hazzard to guess it's not an open and shut matter or Andrew would have been charged already. There appears to be areas of inconsistency which requires a more indepth investigation.

So as far as the club goes,.. Stop pussy footing around and support Andrew.. Let him train, let him play, let him bond with his team mates and then make a decision when courts (if it gets that far) have made theirs.
Are you a police officer MACEwasACE? Or do you work with some other authority, ie RSPCA, By laws at a local council etc?

Just curious.

shmic_s
Club Player

JMsainter wrote:I sincerely hope for Andrew's sake that it all works out for the best, because I'm afraid to think of where his life will go without a positive club environment to support him. My guess is that it would spiral into oblivion.

Yes my thoughts too. Once this has been through courts, I hope that both, the woman involved and Andrew Lovett, can continue to live rewarding lives. I'm sure the club will be offering outside support to either party if its required.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
markp wrote:

disagree. he might face serious charges and even jail. so his lawyers are going to have work hard to keep him out of jail - and that means creating an element of doubt - first step of that is how would an innocent man act?
well an innocent man would lodge a grievance with the afl about unfair treatement from their employee. not just being passive and accepting your punishment. If AL just passivley accepts his punishment from the saints - that is tacit admission of guilt - and in that will look very very bad ifa real court case comes along.

think of it from AL's lawyers perspective - they have one job - create enough doubt to keep him from jail.

first step of creating doubt - stop acting guilty and start acting innocent.

so the whole grievance thing makes perfect sense.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

JMsainter wrote:I sincerely hope for Andrew's sake that it all works out for the best, because I'm afraid to think of where his life will go without a positive club environment to support him. My guess is that it would spiral into oblivion.

are you a clairvoyant, fortune teller or do you just read tea leaves...???

...and you called me a racist ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Interesting point raised by Stinger. Unless ppl on here know AL personally why would they assume that his life will fall apart without a footy club environment? His cousin, for instance, seems like a very well respected citizen of the aboriginal community - are we assuming that b/c AL is aboriginal that he must need football and that he has no ther skills?

I'm not sure that his life was travelling all that smoothly with a footy club environment supporting him. Depending on the person, a footy club environment can be the worst things for some blokes - look no further than Matthew Stokes who has been told to get a 'real' job for a few months. Many of them live in a bubble and are protected beyond belief. THis can assist them or be to their detriment.

JMsainter
Club Player

stinger wrote:

Are you stalking my posts old chum? It seems that you are determined to take shots at me. Is there something racist about my comments? I don't think so. Now stop destroying threads because of your infantile sense of revenge.

Fired Up Again For 2010. Go Saints!!!

Kepp dreaming those impossible dreams. Spend every minute of everyday striving to reach your dreams.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
stinger wrote:

Interesting point raised by Stinger. Unless ppl on here know AL personally why would they assume that his life will fall apart without a footy club environment? His cousin, for instance, seems like a very well respected citizen of the aboriginal community - are we assuming that b/c AL is aboriginal that he must need football and that he has no ther skills?

I'm not sure that his life was travelling all that smoothly with a footy club environment supporting him. Depending on the person, a footy club environment can be the worst things for some blokes - look no further than Matthew Stokes who has been told to get a 'real' job for a few months. Many of them live in a bubble and are protected beyond belief. THis can assist them or be to their detriment.

it was a pure deadset racist comment...lovett was being stereotyped.....and you picked it in one......

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Half of this thread has been loosely veiled racist claptrap.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....