The Curse of Trading First Round Picks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:remember the crap we took from the hawks for the no i pick...why back when...i suppose harding and russo were passable...but only just....no long term benifit....
Just as an aside, the Hawks used that pick in 1988 to take Alex McDonald.

Andrew Lovett's manager is in the papers standing up for him today happens to be the very same Alex McDonald.

Not sure if that's the wheel turning full circle or if it even classifies as ironic, but it is quirky nonetheless.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
SuperSaint
Club Player

Re: The Curse of Trading First Round Picks

vacuous space wrote:Aside from the odd internet hero, I don't think anybody really believes the trade was nepotism anyway.
Never had the privilege to be referred to as an "internet hero" before. :lol:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Aside from the odd internet hero, I don't think anybody really believes the trade was nepotism anyway.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You entered a vacuous space so these terms, labels and derisively, dismissive denouncing are bound to be vacuously, injudiciously and loosely applied, keeping in mind so many in here actually believed every word a snakeoil salesman said to be gospel ( and some still do :shock: ), you can take that as a compliment, afterall truth is the sheep kept sleeping while the creep was creeping and many have still not woken up the reality that the 'belief cloud' had well and truly turned into a mushroom!

Anyway Lyon was only trying to address and fast track one of the messes that he inherited in trying to inject some pace into our list, he's already done wonder's for our ruck stocks and when I say HE, not forgetting the wonderful team and support he has with a truly professional football department, not the dominion of one megalomaniac,

the other area of neglect being leg speed and pace, sure the player we selected was a risk and hindsight will say a mistake but it's crystal clear why the gamble was taken and this was due to the state of the list and deficiencies within, that he inherited.

The turnover of players in the last three years has been extreme and it is a credit to Ross Lyon and the new professional football department that they've done so brilliantly so far, not withstanding the recent hiccup!

If anyone was going to turn that player around it would have been Ross Lyon, unfortunately the player did not give Ross enough time to do it.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I think our recruiting has been outstanding over the last three years and we may have had some misses but we had have some outstanding successes in particular with the recycled players.

Just wait till we unleash Armo, Steven, Geary x 2, McEvoy etc.

If Andrew Lovett had kept his head, so to speak, that might have just been the recruiting coup of 2010. Players come and go but if RL gets that one premiership for us, he will become immortal.

So sad about Lovett but he will have to live with his transgressions, and the club will move on and we supporters will also move on. Luke who?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:remember the crap we took from the hawks for the no i pick...why back when...i suppose harding and russo were passable...but only just....no long term benifit....
No, no benefit at all, only helped us make the finals for the first time in 17 years...

SuperSaint
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:

You entered a vacuous space so these terms, labels and derisively, dismissive denouncing are bound to be vacuously, injudiciously and loosely applied, keeping in mind so many in here actually believed every word a snakeoil salesman said to be gospel ( and some still do :shock: ), you can take that as a compliment, afterall truth is the sheep kept sleeping while the creep was creeping and many have still not woken up the reality that the 'belief cloud' had well and truly turned into a mushroom!
Eloquently put there barks4eva. :) :) Yes, the sheep kept sleeping and still are asleep unfortunately when it comes to the legacy of the departed chosen one.

Appreciate the compliment and thumbs up to my comments......the snake oil salesman's "mushroom" surfaced well before the "belief cloud" had made its way to Moorabbin. :)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:

Eloquently put there barks4eva. :) :) Yes, the sheep kept sleeping and still are asleep unfortunately when it comes to the legacy of the departed chosen one.

Appreciate the compliment and thumbs up to my comments......the snake oil salesman's "mushroom" surfaced well before the "belief cloud" had made its way to Moorabbin. :)
You two need to get out more...maybe you should go on a date?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:
Just as an aside, the Hawks used that pick in 1988 to take Alex McDonald.

Andrew Lovett's manager is in the papers standing up for him today happens to be the very same Alex McDonald.

Not sure if that's the wheel turning full circle or if it even classifies as ironic, but it is quirky nonetheless.
yeah...saw that....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SuperSaint
Club Player

degruch wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:

So thoughtful and incisive of you degruch but there would be so much more to gain by you and vacuous space getting together and talking about what could've been. :lol:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:
degruch wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:

So thoughtful and incisive of you degruch but there would be so much more to gain by you and vacuous space getting together and talking about what could've been. :lol:
Oh no, I'm not your type at all...I'm afraid I'd be far to 'straight down the line', not into conspiracy theories much. Barks is your man, you can romance about the past over a few GT's...oops, I meant G&T's.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Just wait till we unleash Armo, Steven, Geary x 2, McEvoy etc.
"Geary x 2"? Do you know something I don't about Kallen Geary?