Matt Maguire - Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

doggerel
Club Player

Matt Maguire - Round 1

Was nice to see him doing well, DT stats-wise anyway, but apparently he has done his hamstring again....

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
wasaintsfan
Club Player

if he has would be a very good thing for us :P but gotta feel for goose hes had it tough.... injury free he couldve been anything

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There is already a thread on his first game for the Lions.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=60122

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Just cramp. Nearly all of them dropped over with them in the last quarter

Bring back the Lockett era
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is King.

I flicked it over during a break in our game and saw him take a commanding mark in defense and I just wish he was still ours.

He had a couple of his 70M drop punts and pretty severe cramp too.

He was next to Browny when they sung there song and it was good to see Goose happy.

Still King

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Goose is King.

I flicked it over during a break in our game and saw him take a commanding mark in defense and I just wish he was still ours.

He was next to Browny when they sung there song and it was good to see Goose happy.

Still King
I noticed him next to Browny to, good on him....

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Great to see Goose finally get his milestone and in a winning team.

Brisbane will be a team I'll watch with a bit of interest this season, with them having having both Goose and good old X. Good luck to both of them.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

How did Zac go? Dropping him back to the reserves this week are we? :roll:

supersaints
Club Player

They said on after the game that Goose did a hamstring (about three to four weeks).. poor sod. don't know if its accurate.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Still King
Indeed. He looked the goods during the parts of the match I saw. That mark was a ripper and classic Goose, as were those massive kicks. Those kicks will be a big asset to Brisbane, to get over the "clusters", of teams like us and Hawthorn. They're worth two kicks of many blokes.
I also saw him bolt down the ground at one stage and he certainly didn't look "slow", as some on here have been saying he is now. His speed looked perfectly acceptable for someone of his size. It looked like a fine game for someone who was playing his first senior AFL match in almost 2 years. I was spewing that it wasn't for us.
We could really regret letting him go.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:They said on after the game that Goose did a hamstring (about three to four weeks).. poor sod. don't know if its accurate.
Well he played the game out from what I saw......

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

Still King
Indeed. He looked the goods during the parts of the match I saw. That mark was a ripper and classic Goose, as were those massive kicks. Those kicks will be a big asset to Brisbane, to get over the "clusters", of teams like us and Hawthorn. They're worth two kicks of many blokes.
I also saw him bolt down the ground at one stage and he certainly didn't look "slow", as some on here have been saying he is now. His speed looked perfectly acceptable for someone of his size. It looked like a fine game for someone who was playing his first senior AFL match in almost 2 years. I was spewing that it wasn't for us.
Teams need to evolve and St.Kilda wouldn't have played in last years GF without evolving. If it means giving up a few players to play and possibly win a Grand Final then I'd take that any day of the week

Another opportunity awaits!
roxanne
Club Player

I watched a bit of that game and felt a bit heartsore about Goose. I wish him well but I wish we could have found a place for him.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:

Still King
Teams need to evolve and St.Kilda wouldn't have played in last years GF without evolving. If it means giving up a few players to play and possibly win a Grand Final then I'd take that any day of the week
Great. Lets give up Roo for nothing at the end of the year then and see how much we evolve as a result of that. It would be an evolution fest!
Hawthorn evolved in 2008, but then they let Dawson go at the end of that year and probably lived to regret it all last year, especially when they were missing 2 or three of their talls down back. We could easily experience the same thing this year, if Zac and someone like Sam Fisher happened to miss games together.
Who would replace them if we were facing the Dogs with Barry Hall? Or Brisbane with Brown and Fev? Steven Gaertner, or Wil Johnson (who barely even got a game in the NAB Cup)? It could easily cost us a flag.
I know who I'd rather have out of one of those two or Goose, who looked like great last night.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:

Still King
Great. Lets give up Roo for nothing at the end of the year then and see how much we evolve as a result of that. It would be an evolution fest!
Hawthorn evolved in 2008, but then they let Dawson go at the end of that year and probably lived to regret it all last year, especially when they were missing 2 or three of their talls down back. We could easily experience the same thing this year, if Zac and someone like Sam Fisher happened to miss games together.
Who would replace them if we were facing the Dogs with Barry Hall? Or Brisbane with Brown and Fev? Steven Gaertner, or Wil Johnson (who barely even got a game in the NAB Cup)? It could easily cost us a flag.
I know who I'd rather have out of one of those two or Goose, who looked like great last night.
Within reason!

Of course you wouldn't give up Riewoldt or your best 25 players but guys like Maguire who weren't in the best 30 according to the coach have been moved on which makes space for fresh new talent to come in. It's like stale eggs. Keeping them in the fridge isn't going to keep them fresh!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:

Still King
Have you actually thought that he may have wanted out because he couldnt get a look in last year.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I only caught the second half,by then he looked knackered,so hard to judge. However he looked like he was stuggling with the pace of the game.

Have my doubts he'll last the year. Good luck to him though,hope he does ok

Bring back the Lockett era
wasaintsfan
Club Player

pffft give up roo for free? hed prob play for free if it meant winning a premiership at the saints.... why havent we tried that.. then we could recruit ablett and egg him

aussiejones
Club Player

We may well live to regret letting Goose go......... but lets move on .
Same goes for Ball.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:We may well live to regret letting Goose go......... .
So which one of these players would you omit to play Goose instead:

Gilbert or Sam Fisher?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:We may well live to regret letting Goose go......... but lets move on .
Same goes for Ball.
I think you're wrong

aussiejones
Club Player

They ARE gone ...........face it

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:We may well live to regret letting Goose go......... but lets move on .
Same goes for Ball.
very unlikely mate.

Goose did his hammy yet again.

Good luck to him, I hope he comes back and plays a few more games for the Lions.

Remember, the Lions are a much weaker team then ours, hence Goose gets a chance.

Perspective......

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Same goes for Ball.
very unlikely mate.

Goose did his hammy yet again.

Good luck to him, I hope he comes back and plays a few more games for the Lions.

Remember, the Lions are a much weaker team then ours, hence Goose gets a chance.

Perspective......
Ray and Peake.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Opposition Forum.

He plays for the Brisbane Lions.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell