Changes for Round 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: IMO King for GARDINER...

WinnersOnly wrote:IMO King for GARDINER...Having seen Stephen KING live Saturday night IMO he has become a liability. He contests rucks, but that is the end of his worth. Around the groud he is a slow lumbering liability who cant take an over head mark and cant hit a target by hand or foot and cant fill a defensive hole. As a matter of fact KNOBEL was a better option than KING at least KNOBEL offered some aggression.

As far as replacing KOSI I think it is time for the team to find their medium sized forward to fill the hole. Whether it be moving GODDARD forward and replacing him down back or bringing in LYNCH, HEYNE or SMITH if we are to improve this year the team needs to get games into one of the above...

No point in going with the same set up in Stanley as he will be ousted as soon as Kosi returns. Better to have the medium sized option prepared. IMO for McQUALTER needs to keep his position he needs to be groomed for a back pocket posi - rotate he and Bakes occasionally.
agree completely, king will only go down hill from now on and thus will be along with pattison a back up for the two rucks. I felt that both rucks were getting beaten in the rucks but at least macca was making position and helping out in defense.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
rexy
SS Life Member

Out Kosi King
In Gardiner Lynch

If Smith was to get a game it would be at the expense of Gwilt who I thought was not overly good Saturday night but has done enough to keep his spot IMO.

Maybe this year?
realdeal
Club Player

Gwilt was actually pretty good on saturday! Besides Goodoes doing a couple of freaky things (which nobody could stop) He did a good job.

He kicked 1 out of bounds on full in the 1st qtr but so did Lenny and 3-4 others and the ground was in such bad condition he slipped over with a big chunk of turf flying off which resulted in a goal so that wasnt his fault.

His spot is safe for this round i'd say.

doristhesaint
Club Player

realdeal wrote:Gwilt was actually pretty good on saturday! Besides Goodoes doing a couple of freaky things (which nobody could stop) He did a good job.

He kicked 1 out of bounds on full in the 1st qtr but so did Lenny and 3-4 others and the ground was in such bad condition he slipped over with a big chunk of turf flying off which resulted in a goal so that wasnt his fault.

His spot is safe for this round i'd say.
I thought gwilt was ok sat night he was playing on a pretty handy player who did pull a couple of things out of his rear

rexy
SS Life Member

Like I said, didnt do enough wrong to get dropped, thought he looked hesitant though, turf may have been a factor he did have a very unfortunate fall which looked to be totally caused by the slippery ground. Think Goodes was a lot better than pulling a couple of things out of his bum though. Arguably the best man on the ground IMO.

Maybe this year?
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I can't wait for Raph to return, he is all quality and class.....one of more reliable wingmen.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

In MG, Lynch or Heyne

Out King, Kosi.

Cannot play 3 ruckmen. Far to slow. Ben isnt good enough forward and the other 2 are next to hopeless forward.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:As far as replacing KOSI I think it is time for the team to find their medium sized forward to fill the hole. Whether it be moving GODDARD forward and replacing him down back or bringing in LYNCH, HEYNE or SMITH if we are to improve this year the team needs to get games into one of the above...
a smith isn't a third tall anything, though i would like to see him get a game. i'd also like to see more lynch and heyne but i don't think either are good enough at this point, especially if they're getting the second best defender rather than the third best.

sounds to me from other reports like stanley is barely injured so i wouldn't be surprised to see him in ahead of either of these two. skill doesn't matter so much if you're ten centimetres taller than your man.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree that they will most likely bring in someone this week that will be likely to hold their spot for the 3 weeks for some consistency. Ross doesn't like to make many changes, and I think this week will be no different.

Hamish is quite a good ruckman so it would be good to go in with someone that can match it with him.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

could raph play the forward role? in addition to macca?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Our hardest game in the three weeks is the Pies....

So I would expect the player to be the one that will most suit that game.

Though having said that you could still go different ways:
1/ to use it as 3 week learning experience for a likely player....Lynch, Heyne, Stanley...or even Cahill.

2/ to play someone like Raph....and to then work out in 3 weeks who is omitted (assuming no other injuries).

Raph seems to go ok against the Pies....

However if Lyon wants to go with the current structure...then Ben or Pattison for Kosi mat be best.

Gardi could still come in for No. 1 ruck though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbob
SS Life Member

Only in would be either Lynch or Heyne

rexy
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote:Only in would be either Lynch or Heyne
Gardiner not a chance to replace one of the rucks? was apparently good in the VFL praccy match last week?

Maybe more fitness under his belt b4 a senior spot?

Maybe this year?
saintbob
SS Life Member

rexy wrote:
saintbob wrote:Only in would be either Lynch or Heyne
Gardiner not a chance to replace one of the rucks? was apparently good in the VFL praccy match last week?

Maybe more fitness under his belt b4 a senior spot?
A fit Gardy would be straight in for King but I reckon we need a genuine forward, otherwise we become to Roo focused and become far to predictable.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Lynch should get some game time sooner than later, maybe on a HFF as I reckon he could fill a spot in the forward line with his smarts and skills and is a good size.

shmic_s
Club Player

I had read earlier that Pattison had been training with the forward group aswell as in the ruck. He could be the replacement for Kosi. Gardiner for King IMO.

So:
IN: Pattison, Gardiner
OUT: Kosi (susp), King (omitted)

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I'm predicting only one change - Gardiner for Kosi. Either he or Ben can play forward, or most likely, be rotated through the FF line and rucks with King.

Other than that, assuming everyone who played against Sydney is fit, no other changes for mine.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

On the basis of the Rd 1 games, I would say that fleetness of foot and ability to make quick decisions with ball in hand looks to be more critical than ever in 2010.

And then I come on here and read that lots of posters reckon that having Gardi, King and McEvoy in the same team will be a good idea........sheesh!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Because losing Kosi effects our "fleet of foot" brigade so severely ... :roll:

Bringing Gardiner in is a straight exchange of like for like, surely? KP/ruck for KP/ruck? What is the problem with that?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I also doubt that one of the ruckmen will be successful as a forward. Surely we have enough up and coming forwards that we dont have to resort to that. It is up to the selectors of course, but against North might be just the opportunity to blood someone.

saintbob
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:I also doubt that one of the ruckmen will be successful as a forward. Surely we have enough up and coming forwards that we dont have to resort to that. It is up to the selectors of course, but against North might be just the opportunity to blood someone.
I agree totally, and I would be quite concerned if Ross and the selectors choose to keep all 3 ruckmen in, rather than bring a forward.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I also doubt that one of the ruckmen will be successful as a forward. Surely we have enough up and coming forwards that we dont have to resort to that. It is up to the selectors of course, but against North might be just the opportunity to blood someone.
I agree totally, and I would be quite concerned if Ross and the selectors choose to keep all 3 ruckmen in, rather than bring a forward.
I wouldn't even be surprised if someone like Raph came in and Gwilt moved forward, and Gardiner in for King if available.

karnaby
Club Player

SainterK wrote: I wouldn't even be surprised if someone like Raph came in and Gwilt moved forward, and Gardiner in for King if available.
Yep. That would be about the most conservative option, so I reckon we can lock it in.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
bergsone
SS Life Member

karnaby wrote:
SainterK wrote: I wouldn't even be surprised if someone like Raph came in and Gwilt moved forward, and Gardiner in for King if available.
Yep. That would be about the most conservative option, so I reckon we can lock it in.
My worry with that is it only gives 1 tall marking option Roo.Schneider,Gwilt,Milne,Mini,just looks too small imo.

ins Gardiner,Stanley

outs Kosi King

IF need be just reckon Gardy or Macca can go forward better than King if Stanley struggles.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:IMO King for GARDINER...Having seen Stephen KING live Saturday night IMO he has become a liability. He contests rucks, but that is the end of his worth. Around the groud he is a slow lumbering liability who cant take an over head mark and cant hit a target by hand or foot and cant fill a defensive hole. As a matter of fact KNOBEL was a better option than KING at least KNOBEL offered some aggression.

As far as replacing KOSI I think it is time for the team to find their medium sized forward to fill the hole. Whether it be moving GODDARD forward and replacing him down back or bringing in LYNCH, HEYNE or SMITH if we are to improve this year the team needs to get games into one of the above...

No point in going with the same set up in Stanley as he will be ousted as soon as Kosi returns. Better to have the medium sized option prepared. IMO for McQUALTER needs to keep his position he needs to be groomed for a back pocket posi - rotate he and Bakes occasionally.
agree completely, king will only go down hill from now on and thus will be along with pattison a back up for the two rucks. I felt that both rucks were getting beaten in the rucks but at least macca was making position and helping out in defense.
The thing I like about King, and this is based only on TV footage - perhaps those that are in Melbourne can confirm or deny, but it looks like he does the 1%'ers well. For instance, often he will be standing on the goal line when an opposition player is going for goal, in case it doesn't make the distance.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD