Stanley in for Patterson next week.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

Stanley in for Patterson next week.....

OK, I'm one who did not get carried away with stanley, and was happy to accept he doesn't need to play seniors this year.....

But don't I think patterson is ready yet. He actually looked a little better in the ruck when he went there for a few times, but has zero presence as a forward.

Other options might be lynch or hyne, but if we need a kosi replacement, then stanely could at least offer more movement and uncertainty for oppositions...

Stanely is still raw, and lacks the maturity to play consistently through the yr, but he would have a bigger impact up forward than patterson...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley in for Patterson next week.....

kaos theory wrote:OK, I'm one who did not get carried away with stanley, and was happy to accept he doesn't need to play seniors this year.....

But don't I think patterson is ready yet. He actually looked a little better in the ruck when he went there for a few times, but has zero presence as a forward.

Other options might be lynch or hyne, but if we need a kosi replacement, then stanely could at least offer more movement and uncertainty for oppositions...

Stanely is still raw, and lacks the maturity to play consistently through the yr, but he would have a bigger impact up forward than patterson...
What actually happens if he played like Pattison today in a poorer competition. Surely then Pattison deserves another chance.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Disappointed in Paterson and McEvoy. We still need that 3rd forward.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup... we won by 100 points, but we need to shyte bag someone.

He'll do.

kaos theory
Club Player

Re: Stanley in for Patterson next week.....

plugger66 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:OK, I'm one who did not get carried away with stanley, and was happy to accept he doesn't need to play seniors this year.....

What actually happens if he played like Pattison today in a poorer competition. Surely then Pattison deserves another chance.
Yep, the reality is that Lyon doesn't like to change things around too much and he tends to give players a few weeks to settle in.

I expect he will play the 3 weeks, assuming he is not completely terrible next week....

This is just my opinion....I think stanely has a loooong way to go....but I don't think he would have been worse than patterson....and would have added more for the opposition to think about.

But I understand what Lyon is doing here....so I expect patersion will se out the 3 weeks.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Pattison was very ordinary and I don't think it was just a bad game.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Ask a Richmond supporter....

No wait...don't.

midas_touch
Club Player

Pattison is absolute garbage. If hes not good enough for Richmond, he certainly aint gonna be good enough for us. Stanley has gotta come in next week.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I was very surprised by Pattison's inclusion this week.

I honestly see him as being third string, worst case scenario list filler.

My personal opinion is that if he isnt setting the world on fire @ Sandringham then he shouldn't be even close.

But anyway, I am not the coach thank goodness. They know many things that I do not....

So he deserves a shot.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Yup... we won by 100 points, but we need to shyte bag someone.

He'll do.
We also lost a grand final last year by 12 points.

It's all about getting better.

Great win tonight; still room to improve. Simple as that.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

realdeal
Club Player

midas_touch wrote:Pattison is absolute garbage. If hes not good enough for Richmond, he certainly aint gonna be good enough for us. Stanley has gotta come in next week.
How's Zac Dawson going? bla bla..

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I was disappointed with Pattison and McEvoy tonight. I'd certainly give McEvoy more time but if Stanley is fit I'd have him ahead of Pattison.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Pattison was very ordinary and I don't think it was just a bad game.
Agree Bernard. At half time my brother said how slow he was and how he looked like a Richmond player and I said, give him a chance, but with the way we were playing, and with no Roo or Kosi, he had his chance in the last quarter but just isn't there at this point.

McEvoy was quiet but will get there. Pattison was not great.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Mon 05 Apr 2010 12:38am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I was very surprised by Pattison's inclusion this week.

I honestly see him as being third string, worst case scenario list filler.

My personal opinion is that if he isnt setting the world on fire @ Sandringham then he shouldn't be even close.

But anyway, I am not the coach thank goodness. They know many things that I do not....

So he deserves a shot.
But that is the point. He was one of the best last week for Sandy and was playing forward so why shouldnt he have played. People want Stanley in and can bet none of them saw him play yesterday. What if he played the same as Pattison but in a weaker comp. Should he get a chance then?

wallbanger
Club Player

Not up to it I don't reckon. Not trying to bag the bloke after only his first game, but he just doesn't seem to possess anything (other than height) to give you confidence that he will get better. Maybe I'll be proven wrong - I hope so, but I don't think so.

Would much prefer seeing a young fella (i.e Stanley or even Lynch) given time whilst Kosi is out.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
markp
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

He'll do.

"It's all about getting better"... yup, Ross reads this site and takes notes.

Pattison was drafted as back-up... it was his first game, he's young, and we all know rucks famously take longer to develop... obviously a project and no Roo, but geez, is it really necessary to write him off just yet?

Of course not... it's just the arm chair nuffy brigade want to be able to say "I told you he was no good"... tragic really.

Carry on. :roll:

ace
Saintsational Legend

If we bring in Stanley to replace Patterson it means Pattsion will get his second game with the Saints. :wink:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
maverick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

He'll do.

So bagging the 22nd player picked in his first game for the club helps does it?

Darrel Baldock
Club Player

hey Ace, wouldn't that be Pattsion's first game?

Ian Cooper was too thin
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Who cares if we won by 104 points. If a player wasn't up to scratch then he should be replaced because not all sides are as bad. Pattison and McEvoy did litlle, lets be honest. For ruckmen they are still young but I agree with the original post, Stanley would offer more up forward and couldn't do less than Big Mac and Pattison did last night.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

It was a tough initiation for Pattison, up against quality opposition in a very tight game, where we struggled to win clear ball and ........

seriously he's too slow and offers nothing,

he's backup for the backup surely,

very surprised to see him selected,

If Stanley is fit then I cannot see any reason as to why he would not be selected before Pattison!

Pattison would ( and did ) struggle to get a game with Richmond if ( when ) he was still there!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Quixote
SS Life Member

He'll do.
:lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
PJ
SS Life Member

My take is that Stanley is not 100%.

It's interesting that we tried Stanley in the NAB in this role and didn't see Patto (perhaps injured) at all. Now we have Patto - anyway I wouldn't be too hard on him he's still learning the saints footy game plan and even though he looked a little lost he gave it a crack.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
older saint
SS Life Member

from what RL said pre game Stanley played 20 min last week and did not get picked as not the preparation required for a senior game.

King in for McEvoy - he needs games time but cannot just be given games and has had 2 poor ones.

Look at the opposition next week need a tall forward who can mark, whether Presti plays or not.

Stanley could be option if plays well in 2's or perhaps Lynch. Colllingwood will put Maxwell on whoever plays 3rd tall to zone off so may even be a raph comes in and Mini plays more a defensive forward

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps the games into Patto is for a reason, our two most experienced ruckman are 30+ so it's not the silliest idea to get some games into him.

Out of interest, when was his last game at senior level?

As for Ben, I just don't see how dropping him would be of benefit at this stage in his development. He needs games, he needs to learn.