Stanley in for Patterson next week.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Foz
Club Player

RL also said pre-game that had Stanley played > 20 mins last week and performed he would have been ahead of Pattison. He also mentioned that you dont want to destroy a kid first-up so they have to be ready. I felt he was close with a good go at Sandy.

RL said he liked Pattison as a kid, surprised he went # 20 odd in the draft but that he had ability. Also said McEvoy favoured over King because of "youth" but that he had to perform and "Ben knows that". I assume with Kingys injuries last year that the writing is on the wall to fast track youth - be it Macca or Pattison.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:It was a tough initiation for Pattison, up against quality opposition in a very tight game, where we struggled to win clear ball and ........

seriously he's too slow and offers nothing,

he's backup for the backup surely,

very surprised to see him selected,

If Stanley is fit then I cannot see any reason as to why he would not be selected before Pattison!

Pattison would ( and did ) struggle to get a game with Richmond if ( when ) he was still there!
agreed that it was not a good game from pattison but is a far better player than " a backup for the backup" and is far better than a certain ruckman that you flogged for ever on this site for years...

You stated in another thread that posters should not take you seriously..

You flogged Rix and I just wonder why you kept on posting crap about him to the point that Damien deleted the same post from you on 5 occasions and you just turned around and posted the same crapola on a Carlton Fan site.

Yes, I know how much you respected Damien as it was too much later he told me that he had enough...

You just flog a dead horse to death and then later just simply state that people should not take you seriously...

Pattison > Rix

and will only get better, unlike Rix

at least give him more than one game with us FFS

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I do like the idea (if fit) of Stanley offering us that much needed speed/fwd 50 pressure.....I reckon his height and pace catch a few off guard........

“Yeah….nah””
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Patterson, Paterson, Pattsion.....maybe he is having psycholgical issues about his name :wink:

Saintsfan
Club Player

He looked average but in a forward line next to Riewoldt anyone is.

That in mind all the ball was directed at Riewoldt due to him having a good night and it becoming obvious of the match up from early in the game.

From memory, nothing was really directed at him and when another option was sought it was BJ.

So nothing really should be taken out of that game regarding Pattison's performance

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:He looked average but in a forward line next to Riewoldt anyone is.

That in mind all the ball was directed at Riewoldt due to him having a good night and it becoming obvious of the match up from early in the game.

From memory, nothing was really directed at him and when another option was sought it was BJ.

So nothing really should be taken out of that game regarding Pattison's performance
He just looked very slow.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think a lot of you guys are being very harsh.

like i said in another thread, he really struggled with positioning... Brett Peake got cut a certain amount of slack for this over his first 5 games (3 NAB) and he was playing in a forward line where Roo was on fire and most everything was going to him.

He bumps well and he looks clean with his hands... did ok in the ruck

Seriously on a night like saturday that unfolded the way it did, what more did people expect.
Other than Roo, which big man did anything up forward?

Gardiner did alright down back and linked well but he's had 3 years on the list.
McEvoy struggled all night too

Cut the guy some slack

wasaintsfan
Club Player

this thread sounds just like the

"kosi's no good"
"get rid of peake hes useless"
"dawson's not upto afl standard"

or even better go back to last year

"gram cant kick for crap get rid of him"
"milne cracks under pressure/ not a team player"
"nds is a selfish player and cant defend(first half year)"
"why did we get ray if he cant even get a game at bulldogs slow and crap disposal"

seriously get over it.... give people a chance we have a very strict style of play that you can't perfect over night.

guys like hayes riewoldt etc have had 3 years to perfect it
it takes time to get these things right and these guys will
has anyone actually gone to sandy to see how stanley's playing? is he playing?

if half you guys were coaching riewoldt wouldnt even be playing for us anymore let alone the champion he is now!!!

esaint66
SS Life Member

Lynch in
Pattison out

But then again that's just me :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:

it takes time to get these things right
Exactly....

Not saying that Patto will make it. But you have to give hom more than game to strut his stuff...and his North game was not as bad as some are making out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
barks4eva wrote:It was a tough initiation for Pattison, up against quality opposition in a very tight game, where we struggled to win clear ball and ........

If Stanley is fit then I cannot see any reason as to why he would not be selected before Pattison!

Pattison would ( and did ) struggle to get a game with Richmond if ( when ) he was still there!
agreed that it was not a good game from pattison but is a far better player than " a backup for the backup" and is far better than a certain ruckman that you flogged for ever on this site for years...

You flogged Rix and I just wonder why you kept on posting crap about him to the point that Damien deleted the same post from you on 5 occasions and you just turned around and posted the same crapola on a Carlton Fan site.

Yes, I know how much you respected Damien as it was too much later he told me that he had enough...

You just flog a dead horse to death and then later just simply state that people should not take you seriously...

Pattison > Rix

The whole Rix thing was a joke, mate, it didn't surprise me at all that a number of you actually bought it and thought it was all very serious!

The ONE thing Damien said was for you and me to NOT REPLY to each other!

YOU seem incapable of this, if your depressed do something about it and please stop bringing it out on here with this personalized drivel and your obsession with me!

Damien warned a number of people to stop replying to each other!

Damien also told me that he had enough of all the bickering and personalized nonsense!

The other things you posted are factually incorrect, so stop spreading your BS!

YOU are the only one of this group who continues to ignore, Damien's warning!

Is it because you're a policeman and you think you're somehow above it?

I made a single post about Pattison, if you have a legitimate opinion on this topic, then let's hear it, otherwise, STFU!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I prefer to think that Ross has seem something in Patto that is worth persisiting with, I think he has proven he has an uncanny knack of getting the best out of players.

Also have to be realistic about the fact our two most developed ruckman are 30+ and it wouldn't be the silliest move to get some games into Ben, Patto and Stanley during the coming season.

Give him a chance, nobody thought Peake was going to make an impact based on his NAB cup form.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Pattison > Rix

The whole Rix thing was a joke, mate, it didn't surprise me at all that a number of you actually bought it and thought it was all very serious!

The ONE thing Damien said was for you and me to NOT REPLY to each other!

YOU seem incapable of this, if your depressed do something about it and please stop bringing it out on here with this personalized drivel and your obsession with me!

Damien warned a number of people to stop replying to each other!

Damien also told me that he had enough of all the bickering and personalized nonsense!

The other things you posted are factually incorrect, so stop spreading your BS!

YOU are the only one of this group who continues to ignore, Damien's warning!

Is it because you're a policeman and you think you're somehow above it?

I made a single post about Pattison, if you have a legitimate opinion on this topic, then let's hear it, otherwise, STFU!
Please now...

Just who is bringing on the personalised nonsense???

You just stated my occupation and just what has that got to do with it FFS

You rammed RIX down our throats post after post and Damien removed the same 4 or 5 posts only for you to do the cut and paste the same crapola on the Carlton forum...

Now you are saying it was a joke....

Yeah righto you belittled this site with that crap and you insulted Damien.

FFIW Pattison did not play well but neither did McEvoy...

FFS give him a go before you shoot him down, he was a first round draft pick and he just turned 25 a month ago...

Again, he is a better player than Rix would ever be and deserves more of a go than one match, before your dubious critique on ruckman... :roll:

Oh, you are surely clutching at straws re what Damien mentioned about 4 years back, because this is only about the second or third time from memory that I have ever bothered with one of your posts to make a comment against you in that time....

Gee you have a thin skin to bring something up from 4 years ago, I could also bring up items from way back, but why bother...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

On another point I did object to posters stating that Peake was not in our best 22...

and I did object to that....

It's not about you, so stop the paranoia....

I just dislike posters putting OUR players down and more importantly just after one match....

and in Peake's comments was just on his pre season and comments that he is "not up with our game plan"....

lol.. he has had the whole pre season to know "our game plan" gee do posters really think he needs to go to Uni, besides coming to training day in day out to realise this :roll: :roll:

But, again you critique on ruck stocks leaves little to the imagination and I feel he deserves more than one match for you to respond to another so called post of your "ruck joke"

PS

Don't take a joke that serious, even when your posts have been deleted 4 or 5 times on this site and go on another fan forum and post the same..

Gee, you must take a so called joke seriously :roll: :roll:

In any case Pattiison deserves at least another chance, going by you "joke" comments in the past about Rix....

Fair Dinkum ...

When are you ever serious??? One does wonder sometimes

rexy
SS Life Member

Wasnt a bad post until you 2 started, Pattison didnt do much, my fear is that Collingwoods back line is mobile and runs off its men a lot, 3 ruck sized talls may leave us top heavy and therefore I would replace Pattison with a more mobile option. Not sure it would be Stanley, I thought he looked good when he got it in the NAB but didnt get near the ball often enough to influence the outcome of a game. Lynch looked cleaner and I thought he got in better spots on the ground, he probably wont be selected either. My guess would be no change or Eddy Raph or Dempster will come in, Maybe BJ starts at FF and we let it unfold from there. Generally we are fairly conservative at the selection table IMO.

Maybe this year?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Pattison was rank last week and if Ross likes him and gives him another game so be it.

I'd prefer to see Cahill or Lynch get a go this week. Stanley is not ready .

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Damien warned you to stop replying to my posts, please show this site some respect!

FWIW your memory is very hazy!

It was more like 3-4 times, not 4-5 times 8-)

It was not Damien who deleted the posts

The post was about Grant Thomas not Michael Rix!

Just to let you know how dodgy your memory actually is!

Anyway the deal was that YOU and I no longer post replies to each other, so what about YOU try to respect what Damien not only asked us both to do but also warned us as well, to no longer reply to each other!

I have no issue with that, but YOU cannot help yourself, please desist from responding to me and please do not send me any PM, I do not want to have any contact with you, I hope that is clear!

LIFE is way too short and after a recent death in the family with someone who was very, very close to me, I'm really not in the mood for you and your obsession with me and my opinions on a footy forum!

Don't get so hung up on it, try to put a smile on your face, enjoy LIFE!

RIXROXRUX
:wink:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Was Stanley training at the open session today? I didn't notice him if he did.

And Patto looked quicker at training than in the game.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:Was Stanley training at the open session today? I didn't notice him if he did.

And Patto looked quicker at training than in the game.
Today's training was only the 22 from Saturday + Kosi.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Damien warned you to stop replying to my posts, please show this site some respect!

FWIW your memory is very hazy!

It was more like 3-4 times, not 4-5 times 8-)

It was not Damien who deleted the posts

The post was about Grant Thomas not Michael Rix!

Just to let you know how dodgy your memory actually is!

LIFE is way too short and after a recent death in the family with someone who was very, very close to me, I'm really not in the mood for you and your obsession with me and my opinions on a footy forum!

Don't get so hung up on it, try to put a smile on your face, enjoy LIFE!

RIXROXRUX
:wink:
lol you were the one that mention Damien in the first place, yes I have a very good memory and I have saved some of your quotes for times sake...

so lets say this....

Don't ever personalise posts on here with a posters occupation for starters...

and in keeping with your knowledge of rucks status , my respect from any post from you would have to be " Joke" judging by your past history...

I picked you out to quote, because of your ruck posts in the past and slammed RIX down everyone's throat and yet after just one game you have the nerve to post something negative about Pattison .....

Just one game and yet, you held the banner for RIX and even wore a RIX badge at matches and even attempted to raid the coaches box with your stats and now say that it was just a joke???

Joke on you... and your critique on our new recruit...

Please tell me you are joking now, because this is not about you :idea:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was glad to get game time into another ruck option after watching the hawks look like they need buddy or roughhead to ruck next week. Pattison might not become a number one ruck for us but you need to get some game time into the back up players.
People have written off Jones when he'd played a handful of games now you dont find many Saints fans that wouldn't want to clone him. Same for Gwilt and a few others, not everyone comes on like Daniel Rich or Selwood especially rucks. I don't think getting the game time into stanley is as much of a priority as he is ear marked for bigger things than a bash and crash ruckman.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I was stunned when we picked him up, and I was stunned when we selected him to play, and I was stunned when he lined up at full forward.

I was not stunned when he wasn't impressive, nor will I be stunned should he get another selection. He wasn't a liability, and was cast in the role of ruck/forward - there aren't many places it's easier to look bad that ruck/FF.

We seem to like stability, so I'm content with the idea we're going to see him selected against the Pies and Collingwood. For mine, he looks slow, and lacks acceleration. However, probably more of an issue is that he doesn't at this stage have the awareness or confidence to demand the ball - and that's something that really only comes with playing time.

The other aspect is fitness. I don't know where Stanley's at, but playing an entire game leading from FF in H&A is very different to playing a half in the NAB.

Pattison isn't one I'm overly optimistic on, but to write him off based on a single game is definately hasty.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I was stunned when we picked him up, and I was stunned when we selected him to play, and I was stunned when he lined up at full forward.
While I can understand the first two "stuns"...I would have thought that with Gardi and Ben in the team that Patto was selected to play as a key forward.

I am not sold on Patto either. But I see him as a late pick in a weak draft most likely taken as a "back-up" to cover Ruck/KF emergencies, with a small upside chance that he might improve.

I am not as harsh on Patto as many for his first game. It was cetainalya long way short of being good, but it was also a lot beter than "shocking".

Playing as key forward Patto would also have had the problem that he could not just come in and play his own game, or lead where he wanted to. He had to keep out of the way of:

* Roo...and did so well.
* the holes we were trying to create for players like BJ, Peake etc to run into. Again he did well.

On the second aspect looking at the NAB and the two games so far this "improved" functioning of the forward line seems to have beena focus. ie elements of Pagons Paddock etc.

All of which is alot fora guy often lining up at CHF to take on in his first game for the club ina very hard position.

So I will cut him slack as it was a long way from the worst debut I have seen.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

markp wrote:Yup... we won by 100 points, but we need to shyte bag someone.

He'll do.
You're right. We should rest on our laurels and not look for ways to improve. Way to go.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Can't have a player in the team who hasen't spent 8 years in the VFL....wouldn't want to ruin them....this is perhaps why we haven't developed any NEW player in the system under ross who have entered our top ten...

F*** me
Riewoldt
Kosi
Ball
Clarke
Dal
Raph
BJ
L.Fisher
Mini

all played few games in the VFL before spending developing years in the AFL....Sam G and Sam F played 1 full season at Casey first and hardly one since

After 4 years they had all played between 40 and 80 AFL games and were bonafide players....i'd be comfortable right now if Armo had 50+ games regardless of his output off the pine rather than winning a VFL best and fairest....would it have been any different to Dempster, Birss etc.....who were never going to improve...

Lynch, Stanley, Heyne, Steven (if he was so good why did Dempster come off a reco and surpass him or Eddy play above him) might rot in the VFL until they are 24 and IMO that is not good for their development, spending years in a lower standard whilst other kids (D.Beams, Sidebottom, Thomas) are getting used to the real thing....Collingwood do it well....

Apprentiships can be served in the AFL....if one is good enough...regardless of age