Ross Lyon is the New CEO!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:RF - you are possibly the sadest sack excuse of a human on this site.

This thread has confirmed it for all to see.

Yes, we weren't perfect on GF day - we did stuff up a few things - that's old news.

....oh, and one slight fact: Geelong were similarly burnt in 2008 vs the Hawks and that might've been just a little motivational factor in their favour.

The deck of cards were stacked against us in many aspects, yet we very nearly got across the line.
It is old news. I didn't raise it.

Discussing why we lost isn't something that I want to go over. My input into this topic hasn't been about that.

The OP raised it. SrR raised it. Others raised it.

So next time, read the thread before shooting your mouth off. then come back and apologise to me.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Welcome to Trollsational.

If you thought this was the place to come to support and feel good about the Saints, you were wrong.

Never mind how much shyte we have copped, and will cop all season from oppo supporters, you are gonna cop it all season here too... from 'our' supporters.

Even though this is the best Saints team I've ever seen, you will be reminded all season that we are still crap, and always will be... that we'll never win anything, and if we do it'll be a fluke, and only highlight all our past failure.

Enjoy.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

screw that!
i wanna know what the odds are for winning the first ten games in a row 8-)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Just as dangerous to judge Lyon against thomas IMO. All sides improve, they improve or are they go into demise. Our side may well have improved under Thomas just as it has under Lyon, why? because our very good players have got better, Reiwoldt Goddard Montagna DalSanto all have improved from an already high level in the last 3 years. Coaching will have had some influence on this but so will age, size, experience, confidence etc. To me you can debate the pros and cons of the current or past coach all day, but it is almost irrelevant to compare them as they did not coach the same list at the same time. We do not know what Thomas could have acheived with an injury free list or how he would have developed the list if it was up to him in the last 3 years. We also dont know how Lyon would have built the team if he had it from its lowest ebb like Thomas did.

What we do know is that one was in charge during a period when we rebuilt and the other has polished an already established list.

If we dont win a flag with the current list then both have not been successful in the true AFL sense of the word.

I dont think Thomas could have turned us into the side we are today, but the side he did turn us into may have been equally as impressive but
different in style?

At the moment I am very happy with the side we have become, the biggest advantage to the Thomas sacking IMO is the changes it forced off field have
made us a much more settled club whos main focus is football operations. This holds us in better stead for the future.

Ross Lyon is a very good coach, coaching a very good list, at a very good
club. For the first 30 years of my life I never thought that combination was possible at the StKilda football club!
Refreshingly unbiased post. Well done, sir!!

I strongly believe that, if GT had stayed, we would have continued to make the finals and even possibly a GF. We have half a dozen of the best current exponents of the game: Riewoldt, Hayes, Goddard, Dal, Joey, Sam Fisher. For some reason I don't entirely understand, they are somewhat underrated by the footy media relative to the stars of other clubs. But, when they are all fit and firing - and the likes of Milne, Kosi, Gilbert, Baker, Blake and co chip in - we are always going to be a powerful unit, regardless of who is coaching us.

However, in my book, Lyon gets the full credit for developing the game plan that had turned us into the relentless force that went 20-2 last year and looks set to do something similar again this year. Whether (as some on here still believe) this is the game plan he brought with him to the club, or (as I suspect), is something he worked out with the players and the Board at the crisis point in mid-2008, is irrelevant. It's his game plan and it works wonderfully well: including in last year's GF where I still can't see how our loss was in anyway attributable to the game plan.

Ross's and our problem is that we've come good at the same time ad the awesome force that is Geelong. They are the vampires of the AFL: as they showed again yesterday against the Hawks, just killing them isn't enough, they have to be buried at the crossroads with a stake through their
collective hearts!!

So, despite how happy I am feeling with the current state of our club, I remain moderately pessimistic about our chances of winning a flag in 2010.
Last edited by meher baba on Tue 06 Apr 2010 8:40am, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

P.S. If Geelong beats us again this year, I hope we defy our historical record and choose not to sack our coach!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
If you thought this was the place to come to support and feel good about the Saints, you were wrong.
I've never thought this place existed for that reason.

I always thought it was a forum to discuss the Saints.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
rexy wrote:Just as dangerous to judge Lyon against thomas IMO. All sides improve, they improve or are they go into demise. Our side may well have improved under Thomas just as it has under Lyon, why? because our very good players have got better, Reiwoldt Goddard Montagna DalSanto all have improved from an already high level in the last 3 years. Coaching will have had some influence on this but so will age, size, experience, confidence etc. To me you can debate the pros and cons of the current or past coach all day, but it is almost irrelevant to compare them as they did not coach the same list at the same time. We do not know what Thomas could have acheived with an injury free list or how he would have developed the list if it was up to him in the last 3 years. We also dont know how Lyon would have built the team if he had it from its lowest ebb like Thomas did.

What we do know is that one was in charge during a period when we rebuilt and the other has polished an already established list.

If we dont win a flag with the current list then both have not been successful in the true AFL sense of the word.

I dont think Thomas could have turned us into the side we are today, but the side he did turn us into may have been equally as impressive but different in style?

At the moment I am very happy with the side we have become, the biggest advantage to the Thomas sacking IMO is the changes it forced off field have
made us a much more settled club whos main focus is football operations. This holds us in better stead for the future.

Ross Lyon is a very good coach, coaching a very good list, at a very good
club. For the first 30 years of my life I never thought that combination was possible at the StKilda football club!
Refreshingly unbiased post. Well done, sir!!

I strongly believe that, if GT had stayed, we would have continued to make the finals and even possibly a GF. We have half a dozen of the best players current exponents of the game: Riewoldt, Hayes, Goddard, Dal, Joey, Sam Fisher. For some reason I don't entirely understand, they are somewhat underrated by the footy media relative to the stars of other clubs. But, when they are all fit and firing - and the likes of Milne, Kosi, Gilbert, Baker, Blake and co chip in - we are always going to be a powerful unit, regardless of who is coaching us.

However, in my book, Lyon gets the full credit for developing the game plan that had turned us into the relentless force that went 20-2 last year and looks set to do something similar again this year. Whether (as some on here still believe) this is the game plan he brought with him to the club, or (as I suspect), is something he worked out with the players and the Board at the crisis point in mid-2008, is irrelevant. It's his game plan and it works wonderfully well: including in last year's GF where I still can't see how our loss was in anyway attributable to the game plan.

Ross's and our problem is that we've come good at the same time ad the awesome force that is Geelong. They are the vampires of the AFL: as they showed again yesterday against the Hawks, just killing them isn't enough, they have to be buried at the crossroads with a stake through their
collective hearts!!

So, despite how happy I am feeling with the current state of our club, I remain moderately pessimistic about our chances of winning a flag in 2010.
I know you didn't raise it MB, but for the life of me I cannot understand why people continue to bring GT into it.

This was a thread about Lyon being somewhat of a god. Fair enough, although I don't agree, it's a supporters site and people are free to post what they like. I've debated that several times already.

The part I chimed in on, was the train of thought developing that 'we've learnt from the GF loss'.

How do we know that?

How will we know that until late September?

Based on a R2 win over pungent North with a new rookie coach?

I've even read that all the work we've put in on our goal kicking over the summer has paid off. After R2??!!

That's my only point

Yet, within 3 pages GT comes us again.

Ross Lyon has had this group, his group, for 4 pre-seasons and 3 entire AFL seasons.

Why GT's name comes up still just astounds me.

Finna
Club Player

Hey RF.......

This is not a thread about proclaiming Lyon as some sort of God. It is an observation of his skills and his ability to be able to find the right people to fill the holes in the team/club in order to win us a premiership. Nor was it intended to compare Lyon to GT - which invariably has began to happen and it wasn't a thread about last years GF

A few questions for you.....With all sincerity I'd really like to know your feelings about these questions. I am not interested in bagging you or name calling I just want to know what you think about the following.....and please lets forget about the GF 2009 for a moment.

1. Do you agree that RL has tried to remedy some of the issues that were identified in the summer via recruiting (one admittedly backfired but the intent was there) and systems?

2. Do you agree that RL is more focused on systems, vision and an ability to focus on a job at hand rather than reputation and perceived skill levels of individual players?

3. Do you agree that RL has been able to bring some quality people to the club to fill positions both on and off the field?

4. Do you agree that RL has been able to identify qualities in players that have been overlooked elsewhere? (ie clint jones, dawson and maybe peake)

4. Do you agree that RL has a clear plan?

5. Do you agree that RL has been involved more AFL premierships than many other coaches and the people on this website?

6. Do you believe that RL will coach St. Kilda to a flag?
And if he does will you love him forever?

I'd love to know your feelings on these questions.....Love to here something constructive even more.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote:
A few questions for you.....With all sincerity I'd really like to know your feelings about these questions. I am not interested in bagging you or name calling I just want to know what you think about the following.....and please lets forget about the GF 2009 for a moment.

1. Do you agree that RL has tried to remedy some of the issues that were identified in the summer via recruiting (one admittedly backfired but the intent was there) and systems?
I certainly would hope so.
Finna wrote: 2. Do you agree that RL is more focused on systems, vision and an ability to focus on a job at hand rather than reputation and perceived skill levels of individual players?
I'd hope he'd be focused on both. Our skills are average and have needed improvement for some time.
Finna wrote: 3. Do you agree that RL has been able to bring some quality people to the club to fill positions both on and off the field?
In 4 years, you'd hope coach could bring something to the club.

Although my understanding is that the head coach leaves recruitment to the recruiters and the list manager, and off-field people other than his assistants aren't his job.
Finna wrote: 4. Do you agree that RL has been able to identify qualities in players that have been overlooked elsewhere? (ie clint jones, dawson and maybe peake)
Jones is very good. The others are average at best.
Finna wrote: 4. Do you agree that RL has a clear plan?
I would hope so. I would expect all coaches at any level to.
Finna wrote: 5. Do you agree that RL has been involved more AFL premierships than many other coaches and the people on this website?
Yes. 1 flag involvement is more than most people.

However as a coach, he's had as many as I have.
Finna wrote: 6. Do you believe that RL will coach St. Kilda to a flag?
And if he does will you love him forever?
First part - if we get another injury run like last year, I'd be bitterly disappointed if we didn't win one.

Second part - No. Why would you love a coach? They play one role within a club.

Why would I love someone whom I don't know, and whom my only connection is that they work for a sporting club that I support?

I'd be happy if the Saints won a flag. But hardly declaring love for the people directly involved.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

RF, really how long does this go on???

I’m not going to mention the GT thing – others who have read your numerous posts can make their own decisions on whether or not you have a thing for him.

Similarly I won’t comment on the game time/trading of Luke Ball

And I won’t comment on whether Ross is the messiah or whether he’s the best coach in the league.

I won’t even comment of the GF itself.

None of that really controversial stuff that seems to get up your snoz.

Really all I want to comment on is whether our current coach is doing a good job.

It appears most people on here (I haven’t done a survey but I think it’s fair to say the majority) think that Ross has done a pretty good job. You seem to be one of the few that don’t.

You seem to focus on the GF loss and seem to attribute that to Ross (apart from you saying that Ross didn’t get us to the GF so I suppose he can’t really be to blame for the loss then!).

With a 20-2 H & A season and making the GF it’s pretty easy to forget where we were at the start of 2009 and I’m not simply referring to an average NAB Cup effort. 2008 showed us to be a fair way off both Geelong & Hawthorn and realistically most experts & supporters would have thought we’d be lucky to make the top 4. That Ross was able to get us to where we were deserves enormous credit though you prefer not to give that to him. He hasn’t had the luxury of early draft picks – he’s had to take what he was given, make subtle changes to personnel and bring improvements to conditioning, game plans, mental toughness whatever.

Go ask anyone who was at the 2008 Prelim when the Hawks slaughtered us (and I’m not suggesting you weren’t there by the way) whether they think Ross has done a good job and I think you’ll find you’re in a very select group of analysts.

No doubt you’ll respond by cutting and pasting snippets of this post, along with your negative comments but really, who gives a proverbial. :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Finna wrote:
3. Do you agree that RL has been able to bring some quality people to the club to fill positions both on and off the field?

Although my understanding is that the head coach leaves recruitment to the recruiters and the list manager,
Lyon draws up the shopping list...others do the shopping.

If you don't buy the right ingredients you can't cook well...as any chef knows.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Finna wrote:

Although my understanding is that the head coach leaves recruitment to the recruiters and the list manager,

Every coach has input to varying degrees on recruiting!

For example the call to acquire McGough was made 100% from Thomas!

The decision to take Raph Clarke was 100% made by Thomas!

FWIW, at the time, I was rapt to get Raph, so it's not a criticism, just stating a FACT!

Coaches have an input and on occasions with some selections, trades etc...etc.. make the call, not the recruiters!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Finna wrote:

On a case by case basis every coach has input to varying degrees on recruiting!

For example the call to acquire McGough was made 100% from Thomas!

The decision to take Raph Clarke was 100% made by Thomas!

FWIW, at the time, I was rapt to get Raph, so it's not a criticism, just stating a FACT!

Coaches have an input and on occasions with some selections, trades etc...etc.. make the call, not the recruiters, so your assertion is WRONG!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
It appears most people on here (I haven’t done a survey but I think it’s fair to say the majority) think that Ross has done a pretty good job. You seem to be one of the few that don’t.
??

Maybe go back and read my posts.

I've never said, or even suggested he hasn't done a 'pretty good job'.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Welcome to the "Lets All Kick Rodger Thread". :roll:

RF is right, the proof of the pudding is a premiership.... nothing less.

RL acquired a bloody good basis of a squad from GT.

He has fine-tuned it to a solid top two side.

He has learnt a lot about the coaching game whilst he has been with us, as well as bringing a fair bit of experience from Sydney.

Some of the recruitment has been brilliantly successful, others not so.

As for support staff, who wouldn't want to work for a club with such solid premiership potential as ours? Would not be difficult to recruit the best.

So.... Is Lyon a brilliant coach?... The jury is still out.

Was he a better coach that GT? Even though neither has won a premiership, IMHO RL has the edge.

Is this the best Saints team ever?.... I'll let you know when we win our next premiership, but would have to go a fair way to beat the 66 side.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote: RL acquired a bloody good basis of a squad from GT.
Thomas acquired an amazing squad from the biggest draft bonanza in VFL/AFL history and managed to send a list from heaven, half way to hell in 5 years!

Lyon inherited a very slow, pedestrian team, unfit and poorly conditioned!

Was
he a better coach that GT? Even though neither has won a premiership, IMHO RL has the edge.
Gumpy, what's with the WAS, surely you mean IS, perhaps English is your second language, so apologies if so!

As for RL has the edge, FAIR DINKUM, get serious, it's like comparing a Mercedes Benz to an unroadworthy rust bucket you'd find in a rubbish dump!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Thanks Finna for a fantastic post, one of the best I have read in a long time. Just a real pity it has turn't into a GT/GF slinging match once again. Four years since he left, think its high time we got over it :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Thomas acquired an amazing squad from the biggest draft bonanza in VFL/AFL history and managed to send a list from heaven, half way to hell in 5 years!

Was
he a better coach that GT? Even though neither has won a premiership, IMHO RL has the edge.

Gumpy, what's with the WAS, surely you mean IS, perhaps English is your second language, so apologies if so!

As for RL has the edge, FAIR DINKUM, get serious, it's like comparing a Mercedes Benz to an unroadworthy rust bucket you'd find in a rubbish dump!
Una squadra inadatta possibilmente, ma una squadra di qualità. E chiedo scusa per la mia mancanza di tempo inglese, io ho significato sono.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

I don't know why you continue to compare the two.

Why?

Does the fact that Lyon may have been dealt a worse hand than Thomas make a difference 4 years on to how well Lyon is performing?

I just don't see the correlation.

Ross Lyon has had 4 pre-seasons, and is in his 4th season as coach. He has 3 No. 1 Draft picks on his list, several Top 10 picks, numerous All Australians, a few Premiership players, and some would argue the best player in the competition.

Anything he does or doesn't do as a coach, is his own doing now.

It's like you're making excuses for him.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:What things?
That Roo would injure himself at the last training session prior to the GF?
That Melbourne would produce the worst rain/hail we'd seen in ages, heavily curtailing our aerial effectiveness?
That a number of players who had been very accurate previously inexplicably missed easy shots at goal?
Having heard this perspective from RF b4 i'll give this a go

- Relying on Roo to win games (no Roo = no St.Kilda)
- Dubious selections that suggest RL will pick players he likes despite form (Dempster)
- Slow reactive coaching when things aren't going to plan
- Problem with particular players consistently being unable to get into big games
Suspect key defenders.

Coping with injury.

Reliance on Roo.

Mentally fragile players.

Players not handling the big stage.

We won't know until late September whether any of this has been addressed.
Do you really believe any of these are top 5 on the list of things the Saints should address to improve?

Can you provide quantifiable evidence for any of these being issues for the Saints as opposed to the other 15 teams in the competition?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:What things?
That Roo would injure himself at the last training session prior to the GF?
That Melbourne would produce the worst rain/hail we'd seen in ages, heavily curtailing our aerial effectiveness?
That a number of players who had been very accurate previously inexplicably missed easy shots at goal?
Having heard this perspective from RF b4 i'll give this a go

- Relying on Roo to win games (no Roo = no St.Kilda)
- Dubious selections that suggest RL will pick players he likes despite form (Dempster)
- Slow reactive coaching when things aren't going to plan
- Problem with particular players consistently being unable to get into big games
Suspect key defenders.

Coping with injury.

Reliance on Roo.

Do you really believe any of these are top 5 on the list of things the Saints should address to improve?

Can you provide quantifiable evidence for any of these being issues for the Saints as opposed to the other 15 teams in the competition?
Numbers 1 and 3 should be, if they are not already.

Taking the punt on recruiting Gibson I think goes a way to adressing number 1.

We have an unhealthy reliance on Roo in attack. If injury was to strike, (everybody touch wood now!) I'm not sure we have an in-form alternative path to goal.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Suspect key defenders.

Coping with injury.

Reliance on Roo.

Well yes.

These are things that have held us back since 2005.

They are things that stood out on GF day. And if they aren't fixed, I'd suspect they could hold us back again.

Joffa 5
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
They are things that stood out on GF day. And if they aren't fixed, I'd suspect they could hold us back again.
AFAIK, accuracy in front of goal was THE thing that stood out for me and apparently that has been a focus during the off season.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Suspect key defenders.

Coping with injury.

Reliance on Roo.

Well yes.

These are things that have held us back since 2005.

Personally I'd disagree regarding those things and our 2005 team (except for the injury plague), let alone the 2009 edition.

Could you please share some examples of your analysis being played out? Clearly I'm not a discerning enough viewer, I'm afraid that the only one I could tenuously identify would be Milne and pressure... though I think some would call that a case of overcomplicating a simple thing: a player having a shocker.

Otherwise, I simply can't remember any of the things you allude to above even occurring to me during the grand final...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Saints43
Club Player

Joffa 5 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
AFAIK, accuracy in front of goal was THE thing that stood out for me and apparently that has been a focus during the off season.
So you think Riewoldt taking 5 marks and kicking no goals had no effect on the game? Even though the ball was kicked to him so many times that Harry Taylor broke a record for the number of spoils in a game.

During the last quarter Riewoldt sent everyone out of the forward 50.

We dominated that match for so long that it is not funny. We didn't get value for effort. And our effort was worth more than the four or five easy misses we all regret.

To hear that we have worked on goal kicking over the off season is nice but here are some the things that will help us win this year.

A more attacking style of football. Stepped up last year. Targeted to be stepped up again apparently.

Players like Schneider not having their guts hanging over their shorts this year.

Leaving the fodder down back where they get 10 players helping them perform their job every week and getting quality like Goddard (and hopefully Fisher) driving us from further forward.