ROO TO HAVE SURGERY!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Why are people on here putting timeframe's on his recovery?

Are there any medical experts out there or just armchair medico's much like armchair coaches?

It's okay to debate who steps up with Reiwoldt gone however it is useless formulating a return timeframe considering nobody is going to be in the operation or the recovery.
Why are you trying trying to tell people on a forum what they should or shouldn't be writing about?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

HEALY just quoted 16 weeks...

HEALY just quoted 16 weeks... F*** @@@@@@@

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
kaos theory
Club Player

6 to 8 weeks people....don't be surpirsed if its only this long.

This is Roo we are talking about, his preparation, professionalism, and recovery abilities and well known around the club...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: HEALY just quoted 16 weeks...

WinnersOnly wrote:HEALY just quoted 16 weeks... F*** @@@@@@@
If its 12 weeks we are gonna feel this big time.

Everyone suggesting we will just beat sides without Riewoldt is dreaming.

It brings our fwd line right back to the pack, changes our structure performance in that while we may plonk another big body there their success rate will not be that of Riewoldt....

Still the bigger picture is finals - whatever it take get him right and pray we have enough games to get some run/form into him before the main stuff....cause imo we will not win it without him (you dont just lose the best player in the game and not feel it...)

“Yeah….nah””
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Given the clubs history of injruy reporting...

Given the clubs history (lack of honesty) of injury reporting I wouldn't be surprised if ROO has done the same as RICHARDSON & LLOYD adn will miss most of the year if not all!

kaos theory
Club Player

Re: Given the clubs history of injruy reporting...

WinnersOnly wrote:Given the clubs history (lack of honesty) of injury reporting I wouldn't be surprised if ROO has done the same as RICHARDSON & LLOYD adn will miss most of the year if not all!
I see your apply your usual "the sky is falling" analysis of the situation... :roll:

6 to 8 weeks...don't be surpirsed....

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Is there anyway of finding out if going under the knife is a better option?

this a good read'

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/riew ... ote]Sports chiropractor Wayne Hoskins said the Saints had two options. One was to have surgery, as former Richmond star Matthew Richardson did after a similar hamstring injury last year, leaving him sidelined for 11 weeks.

The other followed a more traditional route, involving rest, rehabilitation and a carefully crafted program of cross-training, jogging and eventually sprinting.

''It needs to be ultra-conservative,'' Hoskins told The Sunday Age. ''You don't want to push him back too quick.''

Riewoldt's tear is high in his leg, almost in the buttock region, and Hoskins said it was ''uncommon'' for AFL players to have such an injury.

''It's more a waterskiing type injury,'' he said. ''Footy players tend to get it more in the muscle tendon closer to the knee.

''Bad luck does probably come into it but perhaps, and this is speculation, there is degeneration, wear and tear within the tendon that weakens it.''[/quote]
Last edited by The Fireman on Sun 11 Apr 2010 7:26pm, edited 2 times in total.

Statsman
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:Is there anyway of finding out if going under the knife is a better option?
It must be a "better option" otherwise the club wouldn't go down that route. The question is whether it's a better option for an early recovery and a return this season or a better option for Riewoldt's long term recovery and minimizing the risk of re-injury later in his career.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Given the clubs history (lack of honesty) of injury reporting I wouldn't be surprised if ROO has done the same as RICHARDSON & LLOYD adn will miss most of the year if not all!
I was worried too, even with the better outlooks from the club before the scan.....I was just hoping (waiting) not to here things like Roo having to have surgery....

I hope he gets back - to full fitness - to great performances this year.

sainter#4
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:
I see your apply your usual "the sky is falling" analysis of the situation... :roll:

6 to 8 weeks...don't be surpirsed....
it has already been confirmed that its not as bad as richo and lloyd's injuries. lloyd tore his off the bone and missed the entire season.whilst richo was out for 11 with surgery.

taking all that into consideration then, id say the 11 weeks richo missed would be a maximum timeframe. he is also 7 or so years older then roo and had a history of hammy injuries.
i think we should all still aim for around 8-9 weeks
Last edited by sainter#4 on Sun 11 Apr 2010 7:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Worst case and he is gone for most of the season (however unlikely), I'd still expect us to finish top 4, which is all we need to focus on.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Whether it's 8 weeks or 16 weeks, the club will play Saints footy this week next week and every other week there after.
I loved the way we went about deflating the Collingwood egos after half time. Sure they missed some shots on goal but they we're under pressure. The more you miss the more pressure. In the last quarter they were nothing more than a rabble.
THIS CAN CONTINUE PEOPLE.
Who will take Nick's place?
It doesn't matter. The coaching staff have the processes in place and this is what will win us enough games to have another tilt at the flag.
We showed in last years GF that we don't need Roo on fire to give a yelp.
We showed this to every other club on Friday night.
Write us off at your peril.
Go Saints.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
eppo67
Club Player

Going under the knife decreases recovery time and greatly reduces the risk of it tearing again. Just think of a piece of tendon ripped hanging there of course it will repair quicker if it is surgically rejoined ASAP.

No problems of him doing it againt happen again b/c I'm sure if he rolls the ankle he uses to spring off when he leads I'm sure they wont leave him on the ground. He should have been taken off as soon as he kicked for goal and grimaced after landing on that ankle after it had been retapped.
Last edited by eppo67 on Sun 11 Apr 2010 7:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: HEALY just quoted 16 weeks...

Teflon wrote:

Everyone suggesting we will just beat sides without Riewoldt is dreaming.
A bit pessimistic there.

No doubt it is going to be a lot harder to beat the best sides now. But against many as long as we play our Saints Footy we should be good enough to win.

Against the bests side it will now be a real battle.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

So if he's out for 12 is it worth putting him on the long term injury list and promoting a rookie, maybe Gaertner?

Another opportunity awaits!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

There were a lot of injuries this round, not just Nick. It will even out.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Oddly, I don't think this is such a huge problem.

I actually do think this is a blessing in disguise.

I know for the diehards, winning every week so you don't cop shiit from your mates is very important. But the reality is, we only need to win enough to make the top 4.
Ideally, enough to make the top 2 - but with Adelaide, Port, West Coast etc. being reeky this year the top 2 most likely won't be that big a deal to us.

We won 20 games last year, but in the end it just didn't matter. We played 4th. So if we finished 4th - same scenario.

Anyway, he'll be back this season.

He'll be back for the finals, and fit by then. No niggles, no moon boots, no helicopters circling Moorabbin trying to suss out if his knee is really cactus or not.

Put it this way, if he does have any niggles they can clean them up too whilst he's under.

The other thing, like it or not, we are reliant on him. But, credit to the coach - I don't actually think it's because we have to be.

We were pretty average on Friday night I thought against a plodding team without one of their best players and no forward line. Gutsy and tough, but not brilliant by any stretch.
I wouldn't at all be surprised if Collingwood missed the 8.

We actually looked better when Roo went off. We can score without him, but I just don't think we try to score without him necessarily. I think we figure 'well he's there, so why not use him'.

Cause when he goes off the ground altogether, we actually look very coherent.
When he's on the ground and quiet, we look average.

So, this is a blessing.

What we need Roo to be for us to win the flag, is to play a role. Not the role.
When he comes back, we'll be settled and will have luxury of slotting the best player in the comp back in to add to the team - not be the team.

We only need to win 11 more games to finish top 4. That's 58% of games.

If we need one guy to win 58% of our remaining games, then so be it. We are what we are.

But I'd be very surprised if that's what we are.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Sun 11 Apr 2010 8:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: What we need Roo to be for us to win the flag, is to play a role. Not the role.
Very Very True!!
I 100% agree with everything in the post.
GREAT POST rodgerfox!!

Sainter for life.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Quite possibily the best post and most sense you have ever made RF. And I happen to agree with it as well. Well, bugger me sideways, Id have never thunk it.

eppo67
Club Player

Kosi (and rightly so) has been playing a very second fiddle to Roo for some time. Kosi spends 90% of the time running dummy leads or shepherding his opponents to clear space for Roo.

Just watch Kosi explode when he becomes a central target.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

If he is back a month prior to finals....then that is almost perfect.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I also agree RF - great post.

The only reason the Saints rely on Nick so much is because we're the ones who are lucky enough to have him. Any team would do the same.

But we have to be able to win games without him; whether that's games to get into the finals; to get into the top 4; to get into the GF or indeed to win the flag itself. As it was we nearly didn't have him for the most important game of 2009.

It will be harder without Nick but I believe we now have a team capable of functioning extremely well without him.

And then functioning unbelievably well when he gets back. :D

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

quote]I see your apply your usual "the sky is falling" analysis of the situation... :roll:6 to 8 weeks...don't be surpirsed....[/quote]

I see you still have your head up you arse Kaos - can you remember Richo & Lloyd and how long their injuries took. There is no way he would be having surgery if it was a 6 week injury... And all I was doing was quoting HEALY who normally knows what he is talking about.

I also agree with others and dont think it is the end of the world. We do become far too ROO conscious and makes it easy for opposition to drop off their opponents and triple team him. If he being out develops other avenues to goal all the better.
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 11 Apr 2010 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:i honestly feel like our season will start to slip away....i do not see kosi as the player he was during that 5 week spell in 05.but in good news, there is 9 weeks including the mid season break before we play geelong.

in that time we play only the doggies as a serious threat in the granny. so hopefully we can manage....
Frankly, you're a coward. Harden up.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We'll just have to soldier on as best we can without him.

Not much more to be said. Let's see who stands up in his place.

A big chance for Stanley, McEvoy and - most importantly - Koschitzke.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.