Fisher for Roo's role

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Fisher for Roo's role

...according to the Australian's exclusive interview with Ross Lyon. Fisher has all the attributes.

Maybe Raph back in to cover off a backline role.

Fisher was a key forward when recruited from Adelaide.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5853376069

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Ross said Jack Steven would be considered too... I thought I'd read someone on here saying he had foot problems? Is he good to go now?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:Ross said Jack Steven would be considered too... I thought I'd read someone on here saying he had foot problems? Is he good to go now?
Amongst best of Sandy last week

saint4life
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
markinUSA wrote:Ross said Jack Steven would be considered too... I thought I'd read someone on here saying he had foot problems? Is he good to go now?
Amongst best of Sandy last week
First game back from injury.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure Fisher, BJ, Gwilt and others will all rotate through the forward line.

After reading the interview, my gut feeling says Raph back this week.

I think Eddy or Steven for Nick makes us too small around the ground.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
karnak
Club Player

I really like the sound of that,

really looking forward to seeing Fisher up forward. We were fine with him out of the backline in the first 2 games.

I think this leads to Raph definitely being the bloke given the nod. Which I'm very happy about.

I'm a big Raph fan and look forward to seeing him play forward of centre.

Carn the Sainters!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Saintsfan
Club Player

It is the best option. Fisher and Kosi is a better key forward combination in comparison to most in the league.

Sam Fisher is probably the closest player on our list to cover the 'Nick Reiwoldt' type role of floating around the forward 50 full-forward style and leading up the ground for that one kick before a shot on goal. Sam Gilbert and Jason Gram can possibly play Sam Fishers' role down back depending on match up's etc however at times it might not be needed. He often never had an opponent and was free to do as he pleased in the back half and set up play.

I feel much better having Fisher floating around in our forward line than say either a smaller set up with Reiwoldt's replacement being a smaller target or a resting ruckman (apart from Gardiner)

In the end, this is not a year to chop, change and fiddle despite Reiwoldt's injury. The best players have to be out on the park and there is no use giving younger players games as we are actually good this year. Rarely a top team will just gift a younger player games due to the fact he might be the heir apparent to the throne of chf. For the next few years to hell with forward planning. Play all the better players somewhere on the field.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Could be a goer this week. Freo's back six are hardly monsters. And Fisher is a clever player wherever he stands on the field.

So Raph into our back half, Fisher forward (at least to start) and you've got a pretty flexible set up.

We'll see.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Would anyone like to see Raph in Roos role? Long arms, could get a few overhead marks?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Looks like "Saints Footy" has won out in determining choice of CHF.

Raph back would seem likely.

Still hoping for a double change myself for this week (Kosi back the week after) with Raph and Stanley in for Zac and Roo.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Raph usually kills Freo.

Has had his best games against them (IMO of course) and has even go well up forward.

Fisher was drafted as a forward and has been turned into a running back (and not a bad one AA and all).

We simply cannot replace Roo who is an out and out champion, but we have some players who may cover.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saintsfan
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Raph usually kills Freo.

Has had his best games against them (IMO of course) and has even go well up forward.

Fisher was drafted as a forward and has been turned into a running back (and not a bad one AA and all).

We simply cannot replace Roo who is an out and out champion, but we have some players who may cover.
Killing Fremantle is nothing to be positive about considering their history. He might be able to mark it but then what? Typical brain fade and kick to nothing.

The Saintsfan Cometh
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Just before Fisher comes in and does an amazing job of CHF, what is his contract status?

markp
Saintsational Legend

That would be really interesting to see... I hope we get to.

Geezer
Club Player

expect mcevoy to be back this week and rotate up forward with gardiner.
also taking in 2.5 ruckmen to try and negate sandilands.
also maybe raph or stanley in. if we go small, expect gwilt, fisher and BJ to rotate thru the forward line. and bring in an eddy or similar

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I think he will spend considerable time in the forward line, but I don't think he will be a permanint forward.
We have lots of players who I think will spend time in the forward line whilst Roo isn't playing.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I think by rotating players forward we may be able to develop a game plan and a path to the forward line that becomes unpredictable.

It will also develop a forward structure that has flexibility and an ability to adapt and combat any type of defence or even weather conditions.

Players like Fisher, Gilbert, Blake, BJ, Gwilt, Stanley, Raph, Zac, Peake and Grammy can play at both ends of the ground.

Gardiner, Kosi, McEvoy and Kingy can all play in the ruck and forward, and even float back when necessary.

If the midfield can do their job, then several players can play tall and mark in the forward 50.

Even Dal, Joey, Armo, Eddy, Steven, Mini, CJ, Geary, Ray and Lenny can all float forward and confuse the opposition.

Then there is Lynch, the Smiths and others who are working their way in to the side.

Bakes can remain an all round tagger and back man.

As RL and quite a few of the footy journos have said, we are starting to play Saints footy and if we follow the structures we should be able to cover Roo and may infact become a team with more depth and surprise than the team before Roo got injured.

Goes without saying what a big loss Roo is but with adversity comes opportunity and it is only Round 3 so there is also potential and we have 3 wins in the bank.

Saints footy!!

WaggaSaint
Club Player

People have been going on about Raph being the 'messiah in waiting' for our forward line for a very long time - particularly when others had the knives out for him.

Wouldn't it be better to have a more dynamic lineup for the forward line, which is unpredictable for opposition, than straight away try and slot another player into Roo's role? Very few can do what he does, perhaps it's best to work with with the assets we have and keep the opposition guessing. It seemed work very well against the pies who appeared to have their structure based around stopping Nick, and when he wasn't there, it's when their game plan went to cactus.

Rotating players through the forward line is an ideal option for us at the moment. In fact it's a great opportunity to allow other players show some ability that usually wouldn't get the chance.

Nice one chopps....
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I like Raph. But every time I've seen him kick for goal he's made a hash of it. Down back is better for him in my view.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Raph usually kills Freo.
Plays even better against the Filth. 2008 final? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!