Who makes way for Kosi?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

donthglfa
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote:Saint Bev wrote:
So Zac is the new whipping boy, nothing new. Well I am going to stick up for the boy. First he is a confidence player, and that is obviously down at the moment. Last week he had 4 frees paid against him, 3 were not there.

Master stroke of Ross to put him on the forward line tonight, I thought he did very well. Maybe watch the replay and you will see he had a hand in 3 goals, so credit where credit it due.

No he didn't set the world on fire, but I think there were others who had a worse game tonight.

Yep, you're right Bev. There always seems to be a player in the firing line on this site. Leave Zac alone. He's been part of the bset backline in the comp for over a season now. His form has been fair, the teams undefeated,what more can you ask for ?
OUT" Peake
IN: Kosi
Now poor old Brett is up against the wall with all barrels loaded.
How about a new rule that says no player can be criticised in case we hurt their feelings ;)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Geezzzz Ive had a real think and its a tough one.

Id say peake - but that isnt tall for tall.

And I thought Zac did well as a target last week...

But he needs to play back.

It will be interesting. I dont want Zac dropped.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Let's make this perfectly clear.

There's no shame in being dropped from the top team in the AFL.

Two of our best players on Sunday were famously dropped, Dal and Milney.

Zac may not have been the best FF, but how would Max or Danny Frawley have gone there. The game has changed. He had 2 goal assists out of our 9 goals in the 2nd half. Roughly 25% of our goals.

I think he should stay in the side because PA's forward line is tall and we will need him.

A player called Harry Taylor was canned for ages and laughed at. No one is laughing now. Tom Hawkins was written off and he is going ok now.

They got game time!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
. Tom Hawkins was written off and he is going ok now.

They got game time!
Not sure I agree with your Hawkins example.

Real chance they will cull it back to 2 talls in the forward line with Pods and Mooney winning out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
. Tom Hawkins was written off and he is going ok now.

They got game time!
Not sure I agree with your Hawkins example.

Real chance they will cull it back to 2 talls in the forward line with Pods and Mooney winning out.
He did better than Kosi in a famous game last year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Geezzzz Ive had a real think and its a tough one.

Id say peake - but that isnt tall for tall.
True Spinner, but I think we're probably a tall short anyway (just read that back and it sounds funny but you know what I mean :wink:).

Quite simply someone HAS to be dropped and whoever that is will be really unlucky.

I'm thinking it's going to have to be Peake; not because he's been bad, but simply because he probably hasn't produced as much as others and someone has to go.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Milan Faletic wrote:Let's make this perfectly clear.

which brings us back to spert's original question...."should kosi come straight back in"?
Leaving form aside, Im worried about his match fitness.
McEvoy would be a better option in this regards.
The other niggling thought is that we messed around with a hard fought winning team last year(hawthorn) and it bit us in the bum.

Seeya
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I believe #32 is not travelling as well this year.

Does not seem clean with his hands, yes yes he still tackles and keeps the forward line pressure.

But his ability to hurt teams is less this year.

Maybe picking 25 possies with Sandy can get that back.

fqf

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:

which brings us back to spert's original question...."should kosi come straight back in"?
The other niggling thought is that we messed around with a hard fought winning team last year(hawthorn) and it bit us in the bum.
It's only my opinion but Kosi straight in is a no brainer.

I'm very confident he'll step up in the absence of Roo.

And I wouldn't be worried about match fitness. It's only been 3 weeks and it was a suspension not an injury so he would have been in full training during that period.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

It's only my opinion but Kosi straight in is a no brainer.

I'm very confident he'll step up in the absence of Roo.

And I wouldn't be worried about match fitness. It's only been 3 weeks and it was a suspension not an injury so he would have been in full training during that period.
I wouldn't consider myself Kosi's biggest fan but he will have fire blowing out of his nostrils. He must be picked in my opinion.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:

Listened to Roo interviewed on MMM on the weekend, and he spoke about how Kosi has managed to get over a few lingering niggles while serving his suspension....he said he is good to go.

I am looking forward to seeing Kosi back out there, can't wait to see what he brings in 2010.

nobhead
Club Player

Re: Who makes way for Kosi?

F_Q_F wrote:Just wondering who everyone thinks will come out of the team to make way for Kosi?

Peake was pretty quiet this week but do we sacrifice a runner? Clarke's just come back in the team after a few good weeks in the VFL so i'd think he'd be given time possibly?
the only change this week imo is king out - kosi in .reason being is that kingy does not do enough around the ground and we can also play kosi in the ruck and rotate gardy and kosi through ff .making us less predictable when we go forward.and more flexible if kosi is not firing at ff.just my opinion off course .

Saintsfan
Club Player

Kosi will come straight back in because he is our best forward. Goddard can do it all granted however Kosi is a great grab and usually a great kick contested.

To those who are saying we should give him time in the 2's to get his match fitness back are playing it conservative without reason. He is played to play football at ff for us so let him do so

The Saintsfan Cometh
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:Kosi in....Peake OUT.

Raph will replace Peake.

Leave Zac at FF. He did ok up there last might.

Kosi @ CHF.
I think Peake has done more than mini this year...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Solar
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Kosi in....Peake OUT.

Raph will replace Peake.

Leave Zac at FF. He did ok up there last might.

Kosi @ CHF.
I think Peake has done more than mini this year...
had the same feeling, haven't watched the replay but peake seemed to work harder into space. Looking at the stats mini got more of it (mostly handpasses and lyon was a little harsh on our over use of the handball in the first half) then peake and racked up twice the tackles.

Both players are doing their job but if steven and eddy keep pushing it's a positive situation to be in.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Milton66
SS Life Member

nobhead wrote:
F_Q_F wrote:Just wondering who everyone thinks will come out of the team to make way for Kosi?

Peake was pretty quiet this week but do we sacrifice a runner? Clarke's just come back in the team after a few good weeks in the VFL so i'd think he'd be given time possibly?
the only change this week imo is king out - kosi in .reason being is that kingy does not do enough around the ground and we can also play kosi in the ruck and rotate gardy and kosi through ff .making us less predictable when we go forward.and more flexible if kosi is not firing at ff.just my opinion off course .
King is what he is. He ain't no Nic Nat, so what is it with this "doesn't do enough around the ground"?

He's a good ruckmanwho uses his body well. Why do people (not you) just look at stats?

How do you value the way he bumps and provides space for our mids?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
rexy
SS Life Member

Think King has been our best ruckman for the last 2 weeks, stiff if he was to be dropped IMO.

Maybe this year?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
nobhead wrote:

King is what he is. He ain't no Nic Nat, so what is it with this "doesn't do enough around the ground"?

He's a good ruckmanwho uses his body well. Why do people (not you) just look at stats?

I don't just look at his stats, I think he can do more...

I can be more definitive, to me he does enough around the ground, I personally think he spectates close too and inside the forward 50.

Maybe it's a confidence issue, he may not rate his ability to be a playmaker as far as contributing to the scoreboard...but I would like to see him try.

Milton66
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
nobhead wrote:

I don't just look at his stats, I think he can do more...

I can be more definitive, to me he does enough around the ground, I personally think he spectates close too and inside the forward 50.

Maybe it's a confidence , he may not rate his ability to be a playmaker as far as contribissueuting to the scoreboard...but I would like to see him try.
Maybe he plays his role?

I doubt that a former Captain and premiership player would have confidence issues.

Ifwe played like everyone says so in here.. we'd have everyone laying a tackle, and no one to receive the ball...

Everyone would get 30+ touche s agame...

We'd have 14 different goal kickers and all our mids would tie for the coleman medal.

It's a sum total of everyone's contribution.

When looking at dropping a player, you have to be able to come up with some one who'll be better. At the moment Ben Mac isn't.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Peake out. Raph to effectively replace him. Kosi up forward and the 2nd target to be rotated. I'd like to keep the 2nd ruckman, that way Gardiner can be rotated in the fwd line also. He is a big marking presence that will help Kosi. So King stays for mine.

Mini does enough in forwad pressure to hold his spot. He was our leading tackler on the weekend.

ps. I have nothing against Peake, but i don't see who else, Raph earnt another week imo. Also keep in mind before the season started few had Peake in the best 22, even after the Lovett incident.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:
jackyboy wrote:I have no idea whatsoever why people want Mcqualter dropped?
He seems to get judged by how many goals he kicks but:

6 tackles
2 goal assists
1 goal
19 possessions

Not bad.
Yes, and 9 of McQualter's possessions were contested - 79% Eff, in 77% game time
Not sure what else he has to do to hold his spot :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
spert
Saintsational Legend

If I was picking a side on form this year, Kosi wouldn't get selected, and if you want a big bloke with goal sense at full forward, then McEvoy is a better bet. I would run Kosi in the Sandy team until he starts to impose himself on games like he used to, but maybe he can't any more.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:If I was picking a side on form this year, Kosi wouldn't get selected, and if you want a big bloke with goal sense at full forward, then McEvoy is a better bet. I would run Kosi in the Sandy team until he starts to impose himself on games like he used to, but maybe he can't any more.
still light years ahead of mcevoy. big mac will be a very good player one day, but he was pretty anonymous in every senior game so far this year. while he's a good mark, kosi's still stronger and better in a contested situation. big mac is a ruckman.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
spert wrote:If I was picking a side on form this year, Kosi wouldn't get selected, and if you want a big bloke with goal sense at full forward, then McEvoy is a better bet. I would run Kosi in the Sandy team until he starts to impose himself on games like he used to, but maybe he can't any more.
still light years ahead of mcevoy. big mac will be a very good player one day, but he was pretty anonymous in every senior game so far this year. while he's a good mark, kosi's still stronger and better in a contested situation. big mac is a ruckman.
Brogan would kill McEvoy ATM. McEvoy too light and not skilful enough yet

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Brogan would kill McEvoy ATM. McEvoy too light and not skilful enough yet
Light isnt Bens problem as all. He wouldnt want to get any heavier. Strength is a big issue though as is his jumping ability.