Fair bet that St Kilda's Salary Cap will be investigated

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

amusingname
Club Player

Just a quick query, and I make it clear from the start that I doubt very much that the saints have done anything wrong, my thoughts are more that the NRL system may have been easier to rort and the method through which the Storm did the rorting does not sound likely in the AFL, however if a club was paying say 93% of the salary cap and reported that figure to the AFL, could they get done for paying say 97% of the cap? Still under the cap but more than what they had reported to the league.

My thoughts are yes because they have still given misleading figures to the League. Thoughts?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Put it this way: do you really think now that the AFL has effectively been handed an enormous giftwrapped competitive advantage it will now run around town upturning stones to see if any gremlins may exist?

Not on your nellie.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: however if a club was paying say 93% of the salary cap and reported that figure to the AFL, could they get done for paying say 97% of the cap?

Thoughts?
Why would you bother?

If you are under, you are under and so why fudge the figures?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I must admit I'm a little concerned at Brian Waldron's defence that "everyone does it". How long has he thought that way.
However, a couple of years ago when injury payments forced us over the cap we went to the league and told them we were over. They would hardly have does this if they were doing under the table deals.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I must admit I'm a little concerned at Brian Waldron's defence that "everyone does it". How long has he thought that way.
However, a couple of years ago when injury payments forced us over the cap we went to the league and told them we were over. They would hardly have does this if they were doing under the table deals.

This has me concerned as well.....

Eevrybody does it? I hope not!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I must admit I'm a little concerned at Brian Waldron's defence that "everyone does it". How long has he thought that way.
As any magician (or schoolboy) will tell you, there's no better way to distracting attention from your under the table activities than to do something legit on the table.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
amusingname
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
amusingname wrote: however if a club was paying say 93% of the salary cap and reported that figure to the AFL, could they get done for paying say 97% of the cap?

Thoughts?
Why would you bother?

If you are under, you are under and so why fudge the figures?
The only reason you would is that you do not have to account for the extra cash, in particular where or who it came from.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Not sure if this link has been posted-

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union ... -tg62.html

Bloody Spider involved now...

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

This has me concerned as well.....

Eevrybody does it? I hope not!
Every time the ATO has looked into AFL, it's dug up plenty of undeclared player income outside official contracts.

Everyone does it! Blood oath they all do something.

Was the Storm's cheating massively worse than that of other sporting clubs in competitions where there are salary caps? I doubt it.

Are any other Australian sporting clubs part-owned by someone with as much need to protect their global reputation? No.

Join the dots.....

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:''The deal with me was I had a back-ended deal - they couldn't afford to pay me much money in my first year so they upped my salary each year and the big one was the fourth year and they got rid of me - so when I left to Hawthorn they should have paid the difference, which they never did,'' Everitt said.

His wife, Sheree, added: ''Now that we think about it, unlike all Spida's other deals his dealings with Brian were never at the footy club. They were always in a coffee shop or something, and one time we met him at a Christmas party. Not until something like this happens do you stop and think about things like that.''
A real Saints man is Spider. :roll:

Sure Sheree...men with briefcases at Flinders Street Station, hooded agents in limosines, whatever you reckon. :roll: :roll:

It amuses me that the AFL is effectively basing a new investigation on an issue pertaining to the NRL. They need the media to help suspend our players (Kings bump last year), 'concerned members of the public' to alert them to onfield incidents (Lenny's brush with an umpire this year), now the NRL to alert them to possible salary cap rorts. Don't thay have any internal procedures in place for anything these days? :roll: :roll: :roll:

na exa
Club Player

however if a club was paying say 93% of the salary cap and reported that figure to the AFL, could they get done for paying say 97% of the cap? Thoughts?
Why would you bother?

setting up the sting.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
degruch
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:''The deal with me was I had a back-ended deal - they couldn't afford to pay me much money in my first year so they upped my salary each year and the big one was the fourth year and they got rid of me - so when I left to Hawthorn they should have paid the difference, which they never did,'' Everitt said.

His wife, Sheree, added: ''Now that we think about it, unlike all Spida's other deals his dealings with Brian were never at the footy club. They were always in a coffee shop or something, and one time we met him at a Christmas party. Not until something like this happens do you stop and think about things like that.''

Sure Sheree...men with briefcases at Flinders Street Station, hooded agents in limosines, whatever you reckon. :roll: :roll:

It amuses me that the AFL is effectively basing a new investigation on an issue pertaining to the NRL. They need the media to help suspend our players (Kings bump last year), 'concerned members of the public' to alert them to onfield incidents (Lenny's brush with an umpire this year), now the NRL to alert them to possible salary cap rorts. Don't thay have any internal procedures in place for anything these days? :roll: :roll: :roll:
They don't sound too worried about an investigation to me:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Where has it been mentioned that we are to be investigated?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He doesn't look too keen to investigate but that may be because he doesn't want ken sifting through a bon fire.

As I said before, we must have been s*** cheats if we were rorting in that era with so many young kids in the place. You would have to wonder where the cash came from also.

As a Saint fan I always have a strange feeling that the good times are about to end - but I don't think this is it.

aussiejones
Club Player

Everyone does it ...... I would not be suprised at all.

I guess Waldron will name names and give specifics ...as at the moment he is looking stupid.

From brown envelopes to nominal employment ( Visy) etc no doubt it goes on.

I just have a feeling there is much mutch more to this story.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:I just have a feeling there is much mutch more to this story.
Just so long as the much much more doesn't involve US! :(

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Waldron was doing deals with players' agents and obviously, now in hindsight, there was collusion between them (Waldron and the agents at least) to minimize the impact on the salary cap.

Does anybody truly believe that these agents wouldn't have told other Clubs, who were 'tight' in their own salary caps, negotiating new contracts for players about these deals?

Not to 'dob in' the Storm, but to enable their players to maximize their earnings at all NRL clubs.

I'll be staggered if similar things (or others) aren't going on at every NRL club.

I reckon Waldron's apparent statement is 100% spot on - every CLub is doing it.
Too many players have changed Clubs from the Storm over teh last 6 years for this to have been a 'secret'.

NRL pundits are pointing to the 'list' assembled at the Storm.
I would humbly suggest that if you look at teh list of the Brisbane Broncos over the last 10 years you could say similar things. It's only a horrific run of injuries to their star players that caused them not to be as powerful as the Storm over the past 4 years or so.

I have absolutely no doubt that the Storm have systematically rorted the salary cap.
BUT
I also have absolutely no doubt that they weren't the only Club to do so.
I don't even think they are in the minority of Clubs to do it.

Sainterman
Club Player

degruch wrote:
degruch wrote:

They don't sound too worried about an investigation to me:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Where has it been mentioned that we are to be investigated?
That is the first article that has made me feel a little better about things so far today. That...and really, with the list we had in 02, 03 and 04 (although less so in 04) I would have thought we would struggle to go over.

AlpineStars
Club Player

When Carlton got done I thought they had an amnesty and the Saints put themselves in for being 30k over the cap by mistake? (I may be wrong but it sticks in my mind).

Wake me up when September ends.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:

Was Spida even with Sheree at that tiem?
I thought he was with one of his other wives?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Spida is just a opportunist looking for more cash

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

We never had a "spida", we had a "spider". And neither of them were driving. And neither of them threw the can at the copper. And neither of them did their knee clowning around on a skateboard...they tripped in a backyard pothole. I'm sure a paid interview with womens weekly will fix this.

My concerns..

BW has not been charged with or convicted of anything at this stage. On the basis of speculation/accusations in the media about his employment in another code, the AFL are investigating the St Kilda Football Club? Surely they would wait until that is proven before it becomes a reason to launch an (official) investigation?

IF a player has dealings with any club that breaches the salary cap, shouldn't they investigate ALL that managers players? I suspect that a lot of illegal activity is manager driven rather than club driven.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Peter and Sheree.......classy lot...

“Yeah….nah””
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Peter and Sheree.......classy lot...
Actually, I think it's "Sheree.......& Peter.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ok here is a different spin on it, indulge me for a minute.

People are quick to come to the conclusion that he must of practiced this kind of deception during his time at St Kilda, however maybe we were simply the rags before riches?

BW was a part of St Kilda through a pretty cash strapped era. He was used to crumbling buildings, he probably had a dodgy office, financial strain all around him...

Perhaps when he joined Storm, it all just came a little too easy?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Ok here is a different spin on it, indulge me for a minute.

People are quick to come to the conclusion that he must of practiced this kind of deception during his time at St Kilda, however maybe we were simply the rags before riches?

BW was a part of St Kilda through a pretty cash strapped era. He was used to crumbling buildings, he probably had a dodgy office, financial strain all around him...

Perhaps when he joined Storm, it all just came a little too easy?
I dont think they are coming to the conclusion that it did happen, but more concerned about the possability (if that makes sense). I was a bis storm fan and this has been bad enough so I am praying and expecting the Saints are clean cos this would be 10 times worse for me

I love this club