A gutsy win, full of heart... but room for improvement

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

A gutsy win, full of heart... but room for improvement

A real heart-stopper - like a lot of other people have posted, when there were 5 minutes on the clock and we were still 3 goals down (I think), given the sort of game it was I didn't think we'd be able to get enough scoring shots in.

Good teams find a way to win, as they say.

It seems that there has been a sharp decline in our skill levels - a lot of fumbling and poor kicking. That needs to be improved.

Nobody said it would be easy without Riewoldt, and we are clearly struggling to adapt. It seems our defensive pressure is as good as ever, we are keeping teams to low scores. But we aren't finding avenues to goal. We need to maintain the defensive pressure and improve our attacking pressure considerably.

How can we improve this? We should be aiming for 100+ a game, 7 goals in a game is not good.

- Do we work better with 2 tall forwards? Bring in Stanley?
- Kick long into the F50 more regularly to give Milne/Schnadzo more crumbing opportunities?
- Try and have the likes of Goddard/Gram(when he returns) have a ping from outside 50 given the opportunity?
- ???

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Our real problem is up forward: there aren't enough targets. Not only does it mean that we aren't scoring many goals, but it means we can't properly set up our lockdown tactics when we don't score. So we end up being pressed back without the ball for long periods.

It's like how we played in 2007-08 until Lyon (or someone) implemented the forward press strategy.

We either need to find a partial Roo replacement or else change our midfield tactics.

Briefly, last night, we saw Blake running around up forward trying to create a target in the clear. If BJ can't be/refuses to be/is incapable of being used in this role, there are worse alternatives than Blake.

We just need someone who has a good motor and can take a grab. Even if they are the worst kick for goal on earth, at least they can hold the ball up forward to create chances for others.

Raph might be another option, but Blake would be better IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
markp
Saintsational Legend

The ball seemed pretty slippery last night... that plus the frantic and constant pressure could explain the fumbling and poor disposal.... And I think we will look a hell of a lot better when Gram comes back as far as 'structure' goes, as I think we really need BJ forward.

We just beat a serious flag contender without 2 of our key 6 players... it was nothing short of phenomenal.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I think Ross Lyon might be the AFL version of Pim Verbeek. His team might not always look pretty but they finda way to get the job done. 5 wins out of 6, can't do much better than that.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Saintsfan
Club Player

Jesus one would hope so. I don't see us scoring 49 points and beating Geelong.

The Saintsfan Cometh
3:16
Club Player

As I said a couple of weeks ago, we are going to have games that are ugly, that will be low scoring and are extremely difficult to watch, but, all these wins add up at the end of the season, when we are still sitting top four, when Rooey comes back, trust me, you won't remember how we did it, but you'll just be happy that were there!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The game had a slight Grand Final twist about it I felt...except this time we were the ones who had the mental toughness to turn the tables in the dying minutes!

I'd tipped the Doggies all week, only to give myself a good shake and re-tip our boys come Friday afternoon. After all, we are the Mighty Saints! Go you good things!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: A gutsy win, full of heart... but room for improvement

battye wrote:A real heart-stopper - like a lot of other people have posted, when there were 5 minutes on the clock and we were still 3 goals down (I think), given the sort of game it was I didn't think we'd be able to get enough scoring shots in.

Good teams find a way to win, as they say.

It seems that there has been a sharp decline in our skill levels - a lot of fumbling and poor kicking. That needs to be improved.

Nobody said it would be easy without Riewoldt, and we are clearly struggling to adapt. It seems our defensive pressure is as good as ever, we are keeping teams to low scores. But we aren't finding avenues to goal. We need to maintain the defensive pressure and improve our attacking pressure considerably.

How can we improve this? We should be aiming for 100+ a game, 7 goals in a game is not good.

- Do we work better with 2 tall forwards? Bring in Stanley?
- Kick long into the F50 more regularly to give Milne/Schnadzo more crumbing opportunities?
- Try and have the likes of Goddard/Gram(when he returns) have a ping from outside 50 given the opportunity?
- ???
The skill errors were purely from the pressure that was out on the ground last night. When you under such intense pressure, you will see skill errors like we saw last night. It was an extremely defensive game.

Definitely think we need a little rejigging of our forward structure. However, it is hard to tell if the forward line is an issue as it wasn't there a great deal. We desperately missed gram and his run from the back line more than I think we missed Nick last night, believe it or not. Look at the type of games we have played 2 weeks in a row with Gram missing from the team? With Gram in, we have the option of moving BJ up forward more and I think we will see a massive improvement in the type of game we play and the result on the scoreboard.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
3:16
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:The game had a slight Grand Final twist about it I felt...except this time we were the ones who had the mental toughness to turn the tables in the dying minutes!

I'd tipped the Doggies all week, only to give myself a good shake and re-tip our boys come Friday afternoon. After all, we are the Mighty Saints! Go you good things!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
True saints NEVER tip against the Saints!!!!! :wink:

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
Duggie
Club Player

The Dogs have only themselves to blame for losing it.
They brought the game into disrepute with all that chipping back and forth and yet we have got the tag "Ugly Saints".
Eade will never coach a premiership team. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Duggie wrote:The Dogs have only themselves to blame for losing it.
They brought the game into disrepute with all that chipping back and forth and yet we have got the tag "Ugly Saints".
Eade will never coach a premiership team. :lol:
Spot on. At least 2 perfect shots at goal last night that they opted to kick backwards to another player than have a shot.

They also had 35+ backward kicks to our 9+?

Guess what, I DON'T CARE!!!! WE GOT THE POINTS!!!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Didn't see or hear the game - but have been hanging on the result.
Always thought it would be a low scoring, dour struggle.
Wouldn't have picked such a finish - but over the moon.
A great win ( and pim would think 7 goals is plenty!)

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "