Go Raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

donthglfa
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Good intensity gave 100% all night, did some good things, did some b ad things.

Probably just a pass.

Still very much under pressure...

Agree totally, I am not a big fan of raph and don't understand why people get so offended when someone criticises him but he did have an OK game ;)

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Had a few hard-ball gets - a really important one late in the 4th quarter - but generally struggled whenever the ball was in his hands.

He really does seem to struggle in high-pressure matches. Gets caught in the headlights.

Turns the ball over in critical positions.

Knew he'd get a lot of love on here - always does - but there's more to being a top quality defender than the odd spoil. You can to provide so much more and Raph has a long, long way to go.

I know it's a crime to say things like that on here given the worship but it's all about a premiership for me. I think we've got better options, especially in hard, tough physical contests.
Agreed. I always back him at the game, but agreed.

Cue abusive post from JB...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Had a few hard-ball gets - a really important one late in the 4th quarter - but generally struggled whenever the ball was in his hands.

He really does seem to struggle in high-pressure matches. Gets caught in the headlights.

Knew he'd get a lot of love on here - always does - but there's more to being a top quality defender than the odd spoil. You can to provide so much more and Raph has a long, long way to go.

I know it's a crime to say things like that on here given the worship but it's all about a premiership for me. I think we've got better options, especially in hard, tough physical contests.

No abusive posts for sensible and well thought out critisism, just cant stand the idiocies of the Raph haters thats all.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Part of the frustration with Raph is that we can see that he has the potential to be a good player.

Perseverance is one thing, but I want players who will bloom at 22-23 and deliver us seven or eight years of good footy, not two or three. That's a core element of premierships.

He needs to improve his disposal, awareness and decision making. No more limp-wristed hospital handpasses, these I find especially galling.

He can be a player, of this there is no doubt. But sometimes I fear that we want him to succeed so much that we overlook his shortcomings.

What if, for example, he's preventing Will Johnson from coming through and developing into a better player?

He does have good endurance, this is one thing I will say. He runs out games at the same pace he starts at, though he's certainly not a gut runner.

I dunno. For every positive, he has a negative. When you think he's come good, he coughs it up. He costs us goals on a weekly basis. So does Gram, for that matter, but that's because Gram's helter-skelter style sets up far more.

I'm just not sure that he's reliable enough in big games. If he concedes a few goals in a final, that's all it might take to cost us a premiership. Heaven knows what confidence Geelong gained from his horrific opening quarter in the GF last year. They targeted thereafter.

Look, if he's the best we've got, then fair enough, we have to make do. But is he? I'm just not sure. When you move Gram in there, his spot is under serious threat. Throw Riewoldt up forward for later in the year, moving BJ down back, and suddenly it's really hard to see him fitting in.

Hope he proves me wrong. He might do in the coming years, but I can't see it happening this year, when we need it.
joffaboy wrote:No abusive posts for sensible and well thought out critisism, just cant stand the idiocies of the Raph haters thats all.
They're just not worth your time, JB.

Can't stand them either. Raph isn't as bad as they make out, or he wouldn't be playing at this level.

I suppose it's just frustration at his failure to develop like others have. You look at Blake, Sam Fisher and Gwilt - they all struggled in their opening few seasons but ultimately blossomed.

Love to see it happen from Raph. Just concerned he doesn't quite have the attributes to make it happen, but others do, so the only true judge will be time...
Last edited by evertonfc on Sat 01 May 2010 7:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Knew he'd get a lot of love on here - always does - but there's more to being a top quality defender than the odd spoil. You can provide so much more and Raph has a long, long way to go.

^^^^^You're an intelligent man Everton - always respect your opinion.

And I agree with you. This is Raph's 7th season on the list (correct me if I'm wrong?!). By now, he HAS to be a consistent, reliable performer - not only in shutting down his opponent, but generating run off half-back as well. He doesn't string enough quality games (or quarters) together to warrant the amount of praise he receives on here. He does some excellent things, but tends to make some relatively basic skill errors at times (usually in the defensive 50), which often result in the opposition getting a shot at goal.

One of his main issues, IMO, is that he tends to try and wait for the perfect option to pass to. Sometimes, it is best to play first option football, because he does tend to run himself in to trouble at certain times. Wasn't our worst last night, and made some critical spoils, knock ons, interceptions etc., and I'm hoping that the more games he strings together, the less of the errors we'll see.

The Saints are coming!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Had a few hard-ball gets - a really important one late in the 4th quarter - but generally struggled whenever the ball was in his hands.

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion - just think you're completely incorrect.
Me too.
He wins more hardball and takes the game more often under pressure than half the team.
That's his problem actually, he doesn't play safe enough.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:That's his problem actually, he doesn't play safe enough.
I actually think we need to define what it is more closely about his decision making.

I think he takes risks, but at the wrong times. And when he plays safe, it's often when he needs to play on and take a risk.

When he's under pressure, he should look to palm the ball off as quick as possible - either to a teammate not under pressure or with a relieving, long kick. His kicks are a bit 'lollied' for my liking, they lack penetration, but it's better than getting caught holding the ball or stuffing up a cute 20m pass.

When he's not under pressure, there's no need to hold onto the ball and stop and assess the options. Just back yourself and go for it, especially if there's a flood on.

And whatever the situation, indecisiveness is Raph's enemy. Eliminate this from his game and he goes a long way towards making it as a footballer.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
maverick wrote:That's his problem actually, he doesn't play safe enough.
I actually think we need to define what it is more closely about his decision making.

I think he takes risks, but at the wrong times. And when he plays safe, it's often when he needs to play on and take a risk.

When he's under pressure, he should look to palm the ball off as quick as possible - either to a teammate not under pressure or with a relieving, long kick. His kicks are a bit 'lollied' for my liking, they lack penetration, but it's better than getting caught holding the ball or stuffing up a cute 20m pass.

When he's not under pressure, there's no need to hold onto the ball and stop and assess the options. Just back yourself and go for it, especially if there's a flood on.

And whatever the situation, indecisiveness is Raph's enemy. Eliminate this from his game and he goes a long way towards making it as a footballer.
Yeah agree mostly, except, I just think its his disposal and not the decision most of the time.

The problem in our backline is that we have too many that play safe, and he stands out for taking risks. Ray, Blake, Baker, Dawson and even Fisher all look sideways and backwards. Fisher does break lines with his running not his disposal.

Raph has consistently done some very good things in tight games, often in big games, the handball for Nick to kick the winning goal in last year's prelim is a standout for me. The thing about big games puzzles me.

He no doubt makes mistakes, but so do Gilbert, Milney and Kosi. All of them do the hard things well, and the easy things badly. They can be heart in your mouth, but they can also do something to change a game.

We have enough safe players we need a few with flair, good and bad.
I honestly believe Raph needs to play 10 games in a row to get consistency, has he ever done that?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I generally agree with you on most things footy, Ev, but i disagree on this one. He gets in trouble not in pressure situations, but in situations where hes under no pressure.

In pressure situations he nearly ALWAYS stands up and does his job. See Prelim final 2009. Without him, Riewoldt couldnt have kicked his winning goals.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I've been a fan of Raph and his best footy is very good, but he just makes 2 or 3 simple, unnecessary errors every week that cost us goals. I don't know if it's worth having him in the side for his 15 or so quality possessions if he's costing us 2 goals per week from shocking turnovers. His 2008 finals series was absolutely fantastic and if he can regain that kind of form he'd be a valuable player, but I don't think he's doing enough to warrant holding his spot when he's regularly giving the ball away in our defence.
Care to point out the 2 goals he cost us last night?
No mention of the 10 or 12 goals he saved us.

I think his 2009 final series was pretty good too, you only rate 2008.

According to your theory Sam Gilbert is a dud, because he's been turning it over like nobodies business.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
groupie1
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
wraiyth wrote:Difference is that Gilbert is generally good and had a poor game. Raph seems to be the opposite.
Crap - lovechild has been missing targets for weeks.

he heas been worked out by opposition teams trhat he cant kick on the right foot and force him on to his left.

You go over to Facebook with all the other Raph haters.

He has made the fickle haters have eggs ALL OVER THEIR FACES TONIGHT.

Suck it up you bunch of princesses :roll: :roll:
Gotta hand it to them opposition coaches... smart play to force a guy onto his left because he can't kick on his right.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

Having Raph means we can RELEASE GODDARD FORWARD

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Go Raph!!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Raph is an average player just like about 6 others in our side. We want to be better because he was a top 10 pick. That isnt his fault and shouldnt be punished for it. I dont care if plays or not especially if he is replaced by a better player.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A lot of the Raph haters have been postying in this thread, but have toned it down a bit. His worse turn-over of Friday night was when he passed it to Zac but it did'nt get there on the full and Zac failed to take it, and a bulldog picked it up. It was a poor kick by Raph and a poor attempt by Zac to over run it, yet there has been not one criticism of Zac, it is all Raph's fault. Gilbo picked out Bulldog players with passes three times in a row, one at least resulting in a goal. Yet his performance is rated by some poor judges on this site as better than Raphs. Gilbo did the same thing against Port the week before. Come on, be fair you blokes!

Saintsfan
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

No abusive posts for sensible and well thought out critisism, just cant stand the idiocies of the Raph haters thats all.
Power eradicated since the leadership spill. No abusive posts from now on.

The Saintsfan Cometh