WB 18 frees to STK 8

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I actually thought the umpiring last night was OK...OK in comparison to our games against Sydney, Collingwood & Port where I believe we were Royally rogered.

Seemed to last night that for 3 & a half quarters the Dogs were first in for the ball & we were reactionary hence some undisciplined frees.

That said, I agree with the comments regarding the Hall run down & I was particularly angry when Armo laid a very good tackle near the end of the second term I think, on the boundary, and should have been rewarded with a shot at goal.

Lachy384
Club Player

As I was walking down the stairs to get on the train platform an older dogs supporter was livid saying that the umpires had cost them the game ... it looked like she wanted to kill someone.
I consider myself a reasonably unbiased supporter and I couldn't beleive it.

Good for a laugh though :P

awesome_days
Club Player

i remember another one with milne where he marks the ball, is going to play on BUT hasn't ran over the mark and is tackled - probably the incident alluded to earlier where he got a handball away - and gets pinged for holding the ball.

Happened against Port too.

I thought if the umpire hasnt called play on (pretty easy to tell since they are miked up) then the man in possession can not be tackled.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

awesome_days wrote:i remember another one with milne where he marks the ball, is going to play on BUT hasn't ran over the mark and is tackled - probably the incident alluded to earlier where he got a handball away - and gets pinged for holding the ball.

Happened against Port too.

I thought if the umpire hasnt called play on (pretty easy to tell since they are miked up) then the man in possession can not be tackled.
The actual rules, and the correct enforcement of the rules are poles apart for the Tip Rat and Schnadzo at the moment i'm afraid. :evil:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yep the umpires lost us this game.

BallBanger
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Yep the umpires lost us this game.
Do you still think the deliberate point against Port last week was ok or do you think the ump made a mistake yesterday?

Maybe the poor umps are not real sure?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
Do you still think the deliberate point against Port last week was ok or do you think the ump made a mistake yesterday?

Last week was right and i am not sure what you are talking about for this week.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Wow - took you a long time to come to the defence.

The umpires didn't lose us the game but they were definately inconsistant and very poor on friday night.

Seems to be different intrepretations depending on how they feel.

But of course, in your eyes they are perfect and any critisism can NEVER be allowed.

And we are talking about umpiring, dont come back with how many mistakes did players make, it has nothing to do with them.

Umpires were very poor and incredibly inconsistant and only an apologist or a fool would argue otherwise.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Umpires were very poor and incredibly inconsistant and only an apologist or a fool would argue otherwise.
this week? really? i wouldn't have thought so. saints were second to the ball for half the night and paid for that. i thought the umpiring was pretty good, with the exception of milne and schneider having some bad luck.

BallBanger
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
BallBanger wrote:

Last week was right and i am not sure what you are talking about for this week.
I also thought this decision was correct..rule brought in to stop time wasting not rushing behinds when under perceived pressure but now McLaren paid one to Franklin for walking ball through when under the slightest of defensive perception.

Some commentators are saying McLaren was correct and the Port decision incorrect...

Surely the players need to know what they are allowed to do and umpired accordingly

35...LEGEND
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Umpires were very poor and incredibly inconsistant and only an apologist or a fool would argue otherwise.
this week? really? i wouldn't have thought so. saints were second to the ball for half the night and paid for that. i thought the umpiring was pretty good, with the exception of milne and schneider having some bad luck.
Oh,it's only bad luck :? ...........well hopefully their luck changes.

saintvic
Club Player

ace wrote:Troy Pannell must be furious with his team mates.
If only they had provided him some more help with one sided decisions he could have had two corrupt victories over St Kilda in a row.

18 to 8, how dare his team mates pay 8 frees to St Kilda and why couldn't they have added to those 18 frees to the mongrels.

St Kilda was just a little to good for you tonight Troy.
Why don't you go drown yourself in a beer vat Troy.
A certain umpire that may or may not be mentioned above is related to my husband! The umpires' dad is a one eyed bulldogs supporter as was this umpire and is also good friends with Brad Johnson. You have to wonder how do you put your team bias completely aside when umpiring, it must be hard!!

35...LEGEND
Club Player

saintvic wrote:
If only they had provided him some more help with one sided decisions he could have had two corrupt victories over St Kilda in a row.

18 to 8, how dare his team mates pay 8 frees to St Kilda and why couldn't they have added to those 18 frees to the mongrels.

A certain umpire that may or may not be mentioned above is related to my husband! The umpires' dad is a one eyed bulldogs supporter as was this umpire and is also good friends with Brad Johnson. You have to wonder how do you put your team bias completely aside when umpiring, it must be hard!!
How does an umpire that may or may not be mentioned above get to umpire that game........Downright flabbergastinating :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
saintvic wrote:

How does an umpire that may or may not be mentioned above get to umpire that game........Downright flabbergastinating :shock:
Totally agree. The parents of umpires shouldnt follow a side and fancy having a footy friend in a footy industry.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
saintvic wrote:

Totally agree. The parents of umpires shouldnt follow a side and fancy having a footy friend in a footy industry.
No you don't.

8 games a week, why our's....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
saintvic wrote:

No you don't.

So you honestly think that having Johnson as a friend and a parent following a footscray is going to effect his umpiring? Surely you dont think that. Steve McBurney was a mad Sainter and his family still is. Didnt he umpire the most important game of the year last year and did it help us. Every umpire would have had a club before they were umpires so what should the AFL do with them when selecting games?

35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
saintvic wrote:

No you don't.

So you honestly think that having Johnson as a friend and a parent following a footscray is going to effect his umpiring? Surely you dont think that. Steve McBurney was a mad Sainter and his family still is. Didnt he umpire the most important game of the year last year and did it help us. Every umpire would have had a club before they were umpires so what should the AFL do with them when selecting games?
so you don't agree.that's fine

His dad,one eyed...himself,one eyed and good mates with smiley.

I don't like it,sorry.

So how were the umpires Fri night... IYO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
saintvic wrote:

No you don't.

I don't like it,sorry.

Dont know as i wasnt there. Looked alright on TV but i had a few beers. What about McBurney doing the GF last year and all the other umpires who umpire sides they previously followed. What would you like the AFL to do about that?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe what the Geisch has just done with McLaren - publicly 'flogged' him.

Publicly castigated adn dropped for this week (at least).

Seems that in this case, 'they're only humans' and 'they just make mistakes' doesn't cut it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Maybe what the Geisch has just done with McLaren - publicly 'flogged' him.

Seems that in this case, 'they're only humans' and 'they just make mistakes' doesn't cut it?
Sorry dont understand what that has to do with umpires who have followed AFL sides previously.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
saintvic wrote:

No you don't.

I don't like it,sorry.

Dont know as i wasnt there. Looked alright on TV but i had a few beers. What about McBurney doing the GF last year and all the other umpires who umpire sides they previously followed. What would you like the AFL to do about that?
I had a few beer's too,but i could still see well enough to know it was utter crap.

As for McBurney.......same thing.Every attempt should be made to ensure
it don't happen.
But if he was the best goin around last year and had the ability to check his bias at the front gate,then fair enough.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
saintvic wrote:

No you don't.

I don't like it,sorry.

I had a few beer's too,but i could still see well enough to know it was utter crap.

it don't happen.
But if he was the best goin around last year and had the ability to check his bias at the front gate,then fair enough.
By the way which umpire is the one that followed the dogs and was he the one who gave them more frees than us?

35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
saintvic wrote:

No you don't.

I don't like it,sorry.

it don't happen.
By the way which umpire is the one that followed the dogs and was he the one who gave them more frees than us?
an umpire who has an obvious love of all thing's doggie umpired that game.
A couple or even 1 BS decision could have cost us dearly.
As it was there were bloody plenty,but we prevailed,against the odd's.
Don't know who the dog supporter is,Don't care who the dog supporter is,i think it's wrong.

Fix it please.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
saintvic wrote:

No you don't.

I don't like it,sorry.

it don't happen.
an umpire who has an obvious love of all thing's doggie umpired that game.
A couple or even 1 BS decision could have cost us dearly.
As it was there were bloody plenty,but we prevailed,against the odd's.
Don't know who the dog supporter is,Don't care who the dog supporter is,i think it's wrong.

Fix it please.
You dont even know who it is. He may have been the best umpire out there. I for one couldnt care who they followed previously as long as they do the job properly.

Maybe you are right though. Maybe an umpire has so much bias they are prepared to wreck their career just to give one or two wrong decisions.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Maybe what the Geisch has just done with McLaren - publicly 'flogged' him.

Sorry dont understand what that has to do with umpires who have followed AFL sides previously.
Didn't you ask what the AFL could do?

I was just offering a suggestion.