Gilbert needs to learn how to kick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert needs to learn how to kick

Both on his left foot and his non preferred.

For the past three weeks his disposal has been appalling. Last night he was forced to hurriedly kick on his left, missed his target by a mile, straight on to the chest of a Bulldog player and Griffen scores a goal.

Apart from that he is shanking it,, kicking it out on tlke full and generally putting the other backmen under pressure.

The opposition has worked him out. He gets forced onto his right foot because he, just like Jones cant use it for s.hit. This forces disposals and causes turnovers or shanks.

Gilbert is a good player, and cant read a game very well, has a good sidesteep, but can bounce it for s.hit either and when he does, it is way out in front of him, causing him to lose stride, and put off the timing of the leads up the ground.

He is being found out and needs to really work on his disposal and right foot kicking to be classed as elite.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
PJ
SS Life Member

He also seems to have lost a bit of confidence of late.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Im a left footer, and as a kid it caused me immense trouble as I could not use my right at ALL. I can only imagine how this hurts Gilbert at AFL level.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Practice, practice, and more practice. Especially on the right side (under a bit of pressure as well)

I'll give an example. In the NBA, Tim Duncan (from the Spurs) is a terrible free-throw shooter, which is particularly crucial because he gets to the free-throw line a lot. Every day before practice/training, he shoots at least 100 FT's, to try and improve his accuracy, and in general, it's slowly improving.

Gilbo should be able to do the same! Remember, he does come from a rugby background (I think he took footy up when he was 16), so it's not something which comes especially natural to him!

The Saints are coming!
BallBanger
Club Player

gilbert and jones should be dropped can't kick on their right foot...
James herd could not kick on his left foot thats why he was no good

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:He also seems to have lost a bit of confidence of late.
He hasn't lost any confidence, but his disposal by hand and foot is below par.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

TD is slowly improving, TBS? He'd want to hurry up, im not sure the old bugger has too many seasons left in him!

saintnick12
Club Player

Gilbert had a couple of shocking turnovers last night. One in particular caused a goal after he picked out a dogs defender and kicked it straight to him. Had a similar one last week which also cost us a goal.
Stands out more in these low scoring games.
I'm a big fan of Gilbert but the quality of his disposal has definately dropped off (he is by no means alone in this).
What annoys me is how when he makes an howler its accepted, but if one of the "whipping boys....Raph, Zac, Kosi etc) make one, then they get abused. We should support ALL of our boys and look at their whole game not just their errors.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
georgie girl
Club Player

Gilbert

BallBanger wrote:gilbert and jones should be dropped can't kick on their right foot...
James herd could not kick on his left foot thats why he was no good

I can only presume that you are joking!

And about Sam, yes he has had a few horror disposals in last couple of games, but according to this week's footy record, he is Saints leader in effective kicks this season!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbert needs to learn how to kick

joffaboy wrote:Both on his left foot and his non preferred.

For the past three weeks his disposal has been appalling. Last night he was forced to hurriedly kick on his left, missed his target by a mile, straight on to the chest of a Bulldog player and Griffen scores a goal.

Apart from that he is shanking it,, kicking it out on tlke full and generally putting the other backmen under pressure.

The opposition has worked him out. He gets forced onto his right foot because he, just like Jones cant use it for s.hit. This forces disposals and causes turnovers or shanks.

Gilbert is a good player, and cant read a game very well, has a good sidesteep, but can bounce it for s.hit either and when he does, it is way out in front of him, causing him to lose stride, and put off the timing of the leads up the ground.

He is being found out and needs to really work on his disposal and right foot kicking to be classed as elite.
Agree with you on his kicking but he is a great player not a good player. Young and developing and unlucky to not be All Australian last year.

I am sure he is aware of his weaknesses and is probably training his butt off to improve. His positives outweigh his negatives by a long way IMHO.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Sun 02 May 2010 12:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

n1ck wrote:TD is slowly improving, TBS? He'd want to hurry up, im not sure the old bugger has too many seasons left in him!
Up from around 50% to 65% in recent years!

The Saints are coming!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

One preseason of developing his right foot and its fixed.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
n1ck wrote:TD is slowly improving, TBS? He'd want to hurry up, im not sure the old bugger has too many seasons left in him!
Up from around 50% to 65% in recent years!
really? wikipedia says that his worst season was 0.599, and that since then he's gradually improved to 0.725 last year. his best ever season of 0.799 was actually 01-02.

but i take your general point. great players do the hard yards to improve their weaknesses.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote: Agree with you on his kicking but he is a great player not a good player. Young and developing and unlucky to be All Australian last year.

I am sure he is aware of his weaknesses and is probably training his butt off to improve. His positives outweigh his negatives by a long way IMHO.
I disagree. I dont think he is a "great" player by any stretch of the imagination. He is a very good backman, can read a game beautifully, a lovely mover, can sting with a rugby like tackle, but falls down terribly with his disposal.

It shows a hell of a lot more when Gram is out. The team likes to get the ball into Grams hands almost as much as getting it to bj. Without Gram there Gilbert is required to clear it second kick from goal and spot up a midfield target. He gets forced onto his right foot and then he is indecisive and looks for a handball option.

This is hurting us in the backline and putting tremendous pressure on the likes of Blake and Zac and Raph and to a lesser extent Fisher.

Gilbert will never be a "great" player until he can develop efficent and accurate disposal on his right foot.

Still I would have him in the team and his good points are excellent. His awareness and reading of the game is excellent, and where he may put presure on the other backmen with his disposal, his coverage in contested marking is perhaps the best in the league.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

GILBERT has caught the DAWSON disease...

GILBERT has caught the DAWSON disease. Both players are trying to spear the ball really low with no forward momentum. When left fotters do that they tend to turn the ball, which causes them to skew there ball drop.

They both need to get on the move befor ethey kick and stop trying to drill the ball as hard as they are and point their follow thru at their target.

Both are great kicks and it is only a minor gliche!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Saintsfan
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Both on his left foot and his non preferred.

There is so much irony in this i do not know where to begin

The Saintsfan Cometh
na exa
Club Player

i think he's been a bit rattled all season myself ... especially against the woodies in the 3rd quarter.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote: Agree with you on his kicking but he is a great player not a good player. Young and developing and unlucky to be All Australian last year.

I disagree. I dont think he is a "great" player by any stretch of the imagination. He is a very good backman, can read a game beautifully, a lovely mover, can sting with a rugby like tackle, but falls down terribly with his disposal.

It shows a hell of a lot more when Gram is out. The team likes to get the ball into Grams hands almost as much as getting it to bj. Without Gram there Gilbert is required to clear it second kick from goal and spot up a midfield target. He gets forced onto his right foot and then he is indecisive and looks for a handball option.

This is hurting us in the backline and putting tremendous pressure on the likes of Blake and Zac and Raph and to a lesser extent Fisher.

Gilbert will never be a "great" player until he can develop efficent and accurate disposal on his right foot.

Still I would have him in the team and his good points are excellent. His awareness and reading of the game is excellent, and where he may put presure on the other backmen with his disposal, his coverage in contested marking is perhaps the best in the league.
Sorry, I meant unlucky not to be All Australian, bit of a typo.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

In the last two games Gilbert has picked out opposition players on several oocasions in a row early in the game, then he seems to settle down. A bit like Raph last season, early errors, then a good game.

kalsaint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
PJ wrote:He also seems to have lost a bit of confidence of late.
He hasn't lost any confidence, but his disposal by hand and foot is below par.
Too right. Ther eis no issue with his confidence. I fact you might argue that his confidence in taking them on sometimes puts him in awkward situations that highlights his kicking deficiency.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Duggie
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:In the last two games Gilbert has picked out opposition players on several oocasions in a row early in the game, then he seems to settle down. A bit like Raph last season, early errors, then a good game.
Exactly the way I have been seeing it. He will improve generally and is one of our best each week ,but has he got a "non-preferred" in the real sense Joffa?

A Saint Forever!
groupie1
Club Player

Having Gilbert means we can RELEASE GODDARD FORWARD

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga