This boring structure and game plan will cost us members

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
evertonfc wrote:There's no question we play ugly footy, especially when we don't have Riewoldt.

- The media are reporting this. This is their job. They have no vested interest in promoting unsightly football, but they do acknowledge we showed enough to win.
Quite right its the media's job to report it, not editorialise.
Mark Robinson's article concentrating on the AFL and how they would view it, is not reporting.

Too many in the media are interested in is sensationalising everything and getting their name up in lights.
After thinking about it some more, I think Mark Robinson was wearing his channel 7 hat when writing that article...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

That was finals footy last night & we proved (again) that we can win a tight contested low scoring, what some would term ugly, match.

The Dogs are yet to prove that they can win a game that is a battle of attrition.

We have also shown that we can play fast flowing footy & win.

We have a number of blokes that are critical to the structure that are struggling a bit at present with their form and they will only get better.

We're up to our necks in it people, enjoy the ride & stop worrying.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

You know what? i don't care how boring our games look to people like Rohan Connolly. If last night's game was so boring, why didn't everyone leave at 3/4 time? because they're true supporters, not paid journalists.

I loved it!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Of course it fires me up that our club is the whipping boy of the AFL year after year, doesn't it for you too?
Not really. Great clubs overcome such obstacles, and usually have silverware to show for it.

Quite frankly, we're fair game until we win one. I really believe that. We have to get stronger, bolder, and earn the praise, not just expect it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Quite right its the media's job to report it, not editorialise.
Mark Robinson's article concentrating on the AFL and how they would view it, is not reporting.
Let's not forget it was Andrew Demetriou who said "only 15 clubs are playing football" in 2005. Pretty reasonable assumption to make by Mark Robinson that they AFL won't be happy.

Don't forget, the AFL has kept changing the rules just to speed the game up. They like free-flowing football - they have repeatedly stated this.

Anyway, it's just his view at the end of the day, which, of course, he is employed to give.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
maverick wrote:Quite right its the media's job to report it, not editorialise.
Let's not forget it was Andrew Demetriou who said "only 15 clubs are playing football" in 2005. Pretty reasonable assumption to make by Mark Robinson that they AFL won't be happy.

Don't forget, the AFL has kept changing the rules just to speed the game up. They like free-flowing football - they have repeatedly stated this.

Anyway, it's just his view at the end of the day, which, of course, he is employed to give.
He was employed to report on it before, now it's his view, can't be both.
He's not a columnist when reporting on the game, he is supposed to be a journalist. A journalist reports the events, if the HS could possibly do that I might buy it again.

Demetriou doesn't pretend to be a journalist so his view is irrelevant here.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:joffaboy you truly are as soft as butter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(Only long time saintsational members will get that :) )

But as much as it pains me to say it, you are so 110% spot on, and you know it just kills me to agree with you :P :P

But I still love ya Joffa BHAW!
Hows your big flabby baby guts Emma? Bet it looks a bit like fatty Dal Santos chubby triceps :wink:
Only you darl could get away with calling my belly, big and flabby!!
Well I guess you are right, it is flabby now, because I had my baby boy on the 23rd Of April. We are now a family of 4 and its taking a little getting used to I must say. But my little man is doing very very well and I recovering ok too :)

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:joffaboy you truly are as soft as butter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But as much as it pains me to say it, you are so 110% spot on, and you know it just kills me to agree with you :P :P

Hows your big flabby baby guts Emma? Bet it looks a bit like fatty Dal Santos chubby triceps :wink:
Well I guess you are right, it is flabby now, because I had my baby boy on the 23rd Of April. We are now a family of 4 and its taking a little getting used to I must say. But my little man is doing very very well and I recovering ok too :)
Congrats on the arrival of your little man DSG :D

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
degruch wrote:Of course it fires me up that our club is the whipping boy of the AFL year after year, doesn't it for you too?
Not really. Great clubs overcome such obstacles, and usually have silverware to show for it.

Quite frankly, we're fair game until we win one. I really believe that. We have to get stronger, bolder, and earn the praise, not just expect it.
Bulldogs and Collingwood fans don't seem to have the same lowly expectations of their club, despite their lack of success over the last 50 years, and the media seem to feel happy to feed them. Not St Kilda.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Congrats on the arrival of your new baby.

I assume you have No 26 on the back of his jumpsuit??? :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Knowing the bogans from Cranbourne, Emma already has No.26 tatooéd on his arm :wink: :wink:

yes knew about the new arrival Emma, congrats to you and you Carlton supporting husband (how in hell did that happen???).

Cheers

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Maxstar22
Club Player

mullet wrote:
You can bore me all the way to a premiership saints I dont care
This.... 8-)

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Congratulations DSG. Love and best wishes to you and the family. Have you named him Dal_Santos_Girl's Boy or just Santo? Don't forget the underscores on the birth certificate :lol: :lol:

nobhead
Club Player

Re: This boring structure and game plan will cost us members

joffaboy wrote:I mean we have played it since 2007, so I am sure our membership must have gone down since 2007 levels if the people on radio are correct.

Now let me see.

Damn dont know what membership is for 2007 or 2008 bit for 2009 it was just over 32,000.

Sure the Saints members have voted with their feet and we must be down to probably only 25,000 members in 2010......

But wait....

How can this be.....

it says in the sticky above that our membership is

NEARLY 39,000

This cant be right. We are boring, we aren't entertaining the likes of Swartz and Bartlett. (just disregaring the game against Sydney, or the best game of the season against Fremantle)

We dont score goals (just disregard the 23 goal, 100 point flogging of North, and the 16 goal game played against a 14 goal Freo).

WE ARE KILLING THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you media flogs (and many trawl here). Stick it up your collective jumpers.

We have more members, more support, more wins, and more hope than in any time since 1966.

You might whinge and whine, but our team is not here to entertain you.

Piss off and go watch Essendon v Collingwood if you just want goals.

or better still go and watch basketball.

MUPPETS!!!!!!!
tall poppy syndrome . dont listen to the crap just enjoy the wins

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Knowing the bogans from Cranbourne, Emma already has No.26 tatooéd on his arm :wink: :wink:

yes knew about the new arrival Emma, congrats to you and you Carlton supporting husband (how in hell did that happen???).

Cheers
He might already have the numbers 2 and 6 on his scalp or SODS "Son of Dal Santo". Just joking hubby.

starsign
Club Player

Goodonya Joffa-me-boy!

nailed it as usual!!
And from one who has stuck with the Sainters for a bloody long time, this is wonderful , whatever way you wanna look at it and whatever spin you wanna put on it
We are up there respected and FEARED by all ...(No 12 out there or not)!
I've seen many champions come and go
And some very good sides thru the eras ... incl. '66

but this has gotta be the best TEAM ever!

And that's the vital ingredient the gets you the essential 4 points regularly

Our blokes are fully committed and focused on the major goal and whatever way it takes to get there ...and that's bloody fine by me!!

I can't see anything ugly about it one bit when you look at the nuances of the modern game, and knowing full well our blokes are as skillful as or even more than most, and definitely able and COMMITTED to turn it on when required

believe me take these wins , call em ugly if you must but stick with them keep the faith enjoy the ride and get behind them!

groupie1
Club Player

Re: This boring structure and game plan will cost us members

joffaboy wrote:I mean we have played it since 2007, so I am sure our membership must have gone down since 2007 levels if the people on radio are correct.

Now let me see.

Damn dont know what membership is for 2007 or 2008 bit for 2009 it was just over 32,000.

Sure the Saints members have voted with their feet and we must be down to probably only 25,000 members in 2010......

But wait....

How can this be.....

it says in the sticky above that our membership is

NEARLY 39,000

This cant be right. We are boring, we aren't entertaining the likes of Swartz and Bartlett. (just disregaring the game against Sydney, or the best game of the season against Fremantle)

We dont score goals (just disregard the 23 goal, 100 point flogging of North, and the 16 goal game played against a 14 goal Freo).

WE ARE KILLING THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you media flogs (and many trawl here). Stick it up your collective jumpers.

We have more members, more support, more wins, and more hope than in any time since 1966.

You might whinge and whine, but our team is not here to entertain you.

Piss off and go watch Essendon v Collingwood if you just want goals.

or better still go and watch basketball.

MUPPETS!!!!!!!

JOFFABOY... Post of the f****** year, mate!

Take a bow.

Good to see someone tell the so-called journalists where to go using the complex tactic of... researching your figures and know what you're talking about.

Great post

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

starsign wrote:Goodonya Joffa-me-boy!

nailed it as usual!!
And from one who has stuck with the Sainters for a bloody long time, this is wonderful , whatever way you wanna look at it and whatever spin you wanna put on it
We are up there respected and FEARED by all ...(No 12 out there or not)!
I've seen many champions come and go
And some very good sides thru the eras ... incl. '66

but this has gotta be the best TEAM ever!

And that's the vital ingredient the gets you the essential 4 points regularly

Our blokes are fully committed and focused on the major goal and whatever way it takes to get there ...and that's bloody fine by me!!

I can't see anything ugly about it one bit when you look at the nuances of the modern game, and knowing full well our blokes are as skillful as or even more than most, and definitely able and COMMITTED to turn it on when required

believe me take these wins , call em ugly if you must but stick with them keep the faith enjoy the ride and get behind them!
I disagree with the Herald Sun expose of Saints footy for three reasons:
- both teams had players behind the ball, as opposed to one (and all teams play this way)
- it wasn't a boring contest. It was skill error prone, for sure, with most unusual suspects (goddard, for example), but not boring
- Saints are not boring to watch. They are conservative, but they will blow it apart when the space and positioning affords it.

But, the Herald Sun has never had much to say, so it's not hard to disagree with their drivelous, irrelevant and incoherent tripe.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:But, the Herald Sun has never had much to say, so it's not hard to disagree with their drivelous, irrelevant and incoherent tripe.
coming from the guy who's just polluted about fifteen threads with irrelevant, incoherent drivel about putting goddard forward?

Superboot
SS Life Member

Best finish to a game since TS40 :D

Hard to see how anyone could be other than entertained

Duggie
Club Player

Are the doubters on this thread really saying that the published membership tally (nudging 39,000) is false.? :lol:

A Saint Forever!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Please explain why there were so few St Kilda supporters there last night then? I know it was their home game, but I felt almost like we were at an interstate game. It was match of the round, on the big stage of Friday night, at our regular home ground, with a great rivalry building between these two sides and going into the ground there seemed to be 10 in their colours to every one of ours. Inside it wasn't much better.
When the game ended and the Dogs fans quickly left, there looked to be only small pockets of our supporters in the stadium. I'd be surprised if we had more than about 12-13 thousand fans there for the night, which was very ordinary. I'm sure that's largely because they have far better things to do on a Friday night (or with their money) than watch us play like we have for most of this past two weeks.
We don't need to be so negative. It's like with Roo going out all our confidence in those that remain has left too. We need to be more positive. It's what got us over the line in the end last night. (Along with the fact they totally stopped). Those who think all is well after the last two weeks of playing mostly like this are in dreamland.
Except Einstein that there was probably 20k Saints supporters. The Bulldogs have less than 30k supporters :roll:

Also we have 39,000 members, up on 7,000 from last year when we played the same gameplan.

You are clueless.

5-1 and you are carrying on like a goose.

Are you just a troll?
You are kidding aren't you? I take it you weren't there. The crowd was 43,000 and there's no way in hell we had almost half of them. Not a chance. It's obviously you who are "clueless". You're so full of yourself it's not funny. We were outnumbered big-time and I hear that many left at 3/4 time, as well. Maybe they just have better things to do than you. Does that make you better than them, as you clearly think you are? Hardly. Please get over yourself.
And they way we've played the last two weeks is not how we played last year, at least not for the bulk of it. Or how we played earlier in the year. It's only been in the last two weeks that we've gone "ultra-negative" and sent basically our whole team deep into defense. And it hasn't worked well. And you reckon I'm the one that's "clueless"!
And who the f*** do you think you are to tell anyone to "piss off"? Who died and made you boss of the St Kilda supporters? There's no one way to support a club. It's not a dictatorship. Others have paid their money and bought memberships and can support however they choose. Unless this is not a "free country".
And I bet you feel pretty big calling everyone names. It's sad and pathetic that the only way you can clearly feel good about yourself is if you're abusing, bullying, or putting others down. "Muppets". Wow.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Duggie wrote:Are the doubters on this thread really saying that the published membership tally (nudging 39,000) is false.? :lol:
inflated since last year because of the introduction of the three-game membership. it's a trick which hawthorn started a couple of years ago, which we are now following. the numbers this year can't really be compared to numbers from the past - cash from memberships could be compared, but we don't have access to those numbers.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

And who the f*** do you think you are to tell anyone to "piss off"? Who died and made you boss of the St Kilda supporters? There's no one way to support a club. It's not a dictatorship. Others have paid their money and bought memberships and can support however they choose. Unless this is not a "free country".
And I bet you feel pretty big calling everyone names. It's sad and pathetic that the only way you can clearly feel good about yourself is if you're abusing, bullying, or putting others down. "Muppets". Wow.
Welcome to Saintsational.

:P

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Please explain why there were so few St Kilda supporters there last night then? I know it was their home game, but I felt almost like we were at an interstate game. It was match of the round, on the big stage of Friday night, at our regular home ground, with a great rivalry building between these two sides and going into the ground there seemed to be 10 in their colours to every one of ours. Inside it wasn't much better.
When the game ended and the Dogs fans quickly left, there looked to be only small pockets of our supporters in the stadium. I'd be surprised if we had more than about 12-13 thousand fans there for the night, which was very ordinary. I'm sure that's largely because they have far better things to do on a Friday night (or with their money) than watch us play like we have for most of this past two weeks.
We don't need to be so negative. It's like with Roo going out all our confidence in those that remain has left too. We need to be more positive. It's what got us over the line in the end last night. (Along with the fact they totally stopped). Those who think all is well after the last two weeks of playing mostly like this are in dreamland.
Except Einstein that there was probably 20k Saints supporters. The Bulldogs have less than 30k supporters :roll:

Also we have 39,000 members, up on 7,000 from last year when we played the same gameplan.

You are clueless.

5-1 and you are carrying on like a goose.

Are you just a troll?
You are kidding aren't you? I take it you weren't there. The crowd was 43,000 and there's no way in hell we had almost half of them. Not a chance. It's obviously you who are "clueless". You're so full of yourself it's not funny. We were outnumbered big-time and I hear that many left at 3/4 time, as well. Maybe they just have better things to do than you. Does that make you better than them, as you clearly think you are? Hardly. Please get over yourself.
And they way we've played the last two weeks is not how we played last year, at least not for the bulk of it. Or how we played earlier in the year. It's only been in the last two weeks that we've gone "ultra-negative" and sent basically our whole team deep into defense. And it hasn't worked well. And you reckon I'm the one that's "clueless"!

This is crap, we had plenty of support Friday night, plenty. AND it was N0T our home game. Dunno what game you were at. North V Melb. ?