The Ongoing Decline of AFL Commentary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Ongoing Decline of AFL Commentary

It is no secret, for the most part, the standard of AFL commentary has reached the point where it is unbearable to listen to. On the television particularly, with the exception of a couple of old hands (no prizes for guessing who they are). I find myself regularly turning down the volume as the description of games is no longer at a level of sensible comprehension.

I realise it is easy to fall into the trap of gazing back with nostalgia at "the golden era", but I really do feel that the style of game description in recent time has become one which is lacking greatly in subtlety and intelligent insight. Instead we are given a sledgehammer delivery, with quite often, sensationalistic speculations that mostly add up to very little at all.

I'm pretty sure I am not alone here on this one. I often see complaints and criticisms of commentators on a weekly basis in this forum. Some perhaps kneejerk reactions, but for the great deal valid observations of bad sportscasting.

The other day, a mate of mine wrote in to Foxtel, because he too, has had enough of hearing embarrassing descriptions of games which are ultimately spoiling the broadcasts. The email may be rather aggressive in tone, but it does contain constructive criticisms. He received a response saying that they have passed on his feedback to Fox Sports as a matter for their consideration.

I too am in the process of writing them an email of my own.

I urge anyone else who feels the same way to also write in to any of the broadcasters for AFL games, be it television or radio. IMO, it is about time their was real professionalism brought into the sportcasting of AFL Football. I guess one of the only ways to provoke change is if more people tell the broascasters about where they are going wrong.

Here his my friend's email...

To: enquiries@foxtel.com.au

To Whom it May Concern,

I have followed Australian Rules for all of my life (33 years). It seems to me that the standards of football commentating have gotten worse with every year. The hype and hyperbole now intrinsic to the call of each game makes the experience of watching it near impossible.

The Fox football commentators are part of the problem. Games are not made more interesting by grown men bellowing out about passages of play or goals. Who insists they howl like dogs on heat?

You can hear the vibrato in their voice. Why does Dwayne Russell continue to talk in that affected manner? Has everyone gone to the same commentating school as Bruce McAvaney? The puns are embarrassing. Viewers don't want manipulated phrases that substitute for concise descriptions. Please watch your own bumpers for upcoming games. Isolated yelling and more of it.

Isn't it about time there was a directive to blood or hire football callers who had some class, poise and excellent diction? Since when did incessant screaming improve the deficiencies in someone's voice?

Have you heard the commentary on American football, baseball or basketball? Please tell your guys to tone it down. It's beyond a joke. I cannot laugh at this cacophony of nothingness: "And he kicks a MAGNIFICENT GOAL! SENSATIONAL!" Do not compensate for the atmosphere at the game. Trust the crowd. It will tell the story.

Also Brian Taylor, Gerard Healy and Dwayne Russell - tight as they are in the AFL boys club - are doing a woeful job. All three now appear reluctant to do their homework. None of these guys seem to know the names of all the players on the park. A simple requirement wouldn't you agree? Who appraises the commentators if they agree it is their job to appraise the players? If these guys are honest they should be looking at retiring or being retired. Like the glaring and lazy trends in the football media they seem preoccupied with stats and strategies that are decades old and antiquated to the current concerns of players and coaches.

There's a reason why the coaches are disdainful and downright contemptuous towards the media. The media don't know what the hell is going on in the game. They are more or less barnacles on the industry.

Time these guys were read the riot act.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

The commentary for the most is shocking, not sure why they don't like St Kilda. But the camera work drives me to dispare. This year they keep replaying a particular piece of play and then you miss the next piece of play. Anything a bit "iffy" doesn't get replayed.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Badlands
Club Player

Sunday's commentary on fox was close to the worst i've experiences. True, probably accentuated by the fact we looked like we were going to lose, but the bias was incredible.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

What most rankles me is the networks' insistence on using their expensive slo-mo machines (and showcasing all their camera angles), which effectively means we actually miss portions of play while they replay insignificant "highlights". Add to this the cutaways to the box, and in-play flashbacks of a certain player's night, etc., and anyone would think this was a shutdown game like gridiron, not a freeflowing game like Aussie Rules.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BT, could you please learn to say St Kilda, not San Kilda....drives me crazy!

spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure I am not paranoid when I feel some of these commentary teams are barracking for the opposition when they do our games. The general quality of the broadcast media commentary with AFL games is poor and should be a bit more even handed. Almost time to drop a line to the Broadcasting Tribunal or whoever the body is, as I really have trouble trying to work out what is going on during a radio match, with all the in jokes and other rubbish going on in the commentary box.

markp
Saintsational Legend

It often seems the TV callers think we cant see what's going on, and the radio callers think we can.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yep the TV commentary with a couple of exceptions is quite poor.....
I nearly always have the volume down

TV also insist on replaying an injury or mark - while a live passage of play is happening :shock:

Both on TV, and radio especially, almost all the so called 'special comments men' are negative, preferring to tell us what a team is doing wrong - rather than what the opposition is doing right........

Hold your ground :shock:
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Tv coverage was far better 20 years ago.

You could actually hear the roar of the crowd,games had atmosphere whilst viewing them. Not just this generic squeel we get from each sides cheer squads where the mics are at each end. the angry deafing roar has dissapeared,it's not audible.

Crowd shots are always of the AFL members section,the section that has no passion at all. You get a cliffhanger finish and the camera go's to the crowd on the fence,and you have one or two standing up,the others just sitting clapping. whilst in the outer people are diving across each other ,hugging,euphorically punching the air,themselves,each other

Umpires weren't mic'ed up. We didn't want to hear them,and we still don't.

Behind the goals shots are a complete waste of time apart from a kick out occasionally.

Radio commentary today is far and away better than todays tv coverage. Tv coverage does not bring out the excitement of epic close finishes...the commentary is boring. Listening to a cliffhanger on the radio they bring across the thriller feel...tv does the opposite

Bring back the Lockett era
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Agree Jonesy.

I watched on Channel 72 the Hawks Saints game from 2001, and the commentary was very poor compared to today's standards.

I think the OP was referring to Foxtel's commentary......the blokes on 7 and 10 probably get paid more and are better.

The Sainter
Club Player

Gerard Healy on Foxtel is the worse i have seen or heard. Often the ball has gone from one end of the ground to the other while he is raving on about something not in any way connected with the game. I know people don't like the woman caller on 10 but at least she keeps up with the contest and does name who the players kicking the ball actually are unlike Healy.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Sainter wrote:Gerard Healy on Foxtel is the worse i have seen or heard. Often the ball has gone from one end of the ground to the other while he is raving on about something not in any way connected with the game. I know people don't like the woman caller on 10 but at least she keeps up with the contest and does name who the players kicking the ball actually are unlike Healy.
Kelly Underwood does indulge in opinions, she just calls the game. Every 30 seconds of play deserves a 2 minute opinion piece from most current commentators...I wish they'd just keep it to quarter time breaks.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Foxtel and some radio from WA and SA are the worst. to keep costs down they use locals (GOssage easily the worst), and they sound like they have simply asked a local cheersquad member to commentate.
Freo games with Gossage are unbearable.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Foxtel and some radio from WA and SA are the worst. to keep costs down they use locals (GOssage easily the worst), and they sound like they have simply asked a local cheersquad member to commentate.
Freo games with Gossage are unbearable.
Ha! Absolutely agree...listening to Chris McDermott or other similar SA comentators over here is akin to sitting in the pub and putting up with a clueless drunk ranting in your ear all night.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind Healy but most of the others on FOX are terrible, they miss Clinton Grybas so much.

Last night on Footy Classified they said Fox's coverage was the best, what a joke.

The only callers I really like are: Gerard Whateley (ABC Radio), McAvaney, Commetti and despite his Carlton bias the articulate and generally thoughtful Tim Lane. In terms of special comments I find Stan Alves, Tom Harley, Dermott Brererton and Healy to be the best, although I think Buckley topped them all before he moved back to the dark side.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

dcstkfc wrote:I don't mind Healy but most of the others on FOX are terrible, they miss Clinton Grybas so much.

Last night on Footy Classified they said Fox's coverage was the best, what a joke.

The only callers I really like are: Gerard Whateley (ABC Radio), McAvaney, Commetti and despite his Carlton bias the articulate and generally thoughtful Tim Lane. In terms of special comments I find Stan Alves, Tom Harley, Dermott Brererton and Healy to be the best, although I think Buckley topped them all before he moved back to the dark side.
IMO Commetti is so far ahead pf the rest of them it's not funny. Always get a laugh when one of his witticism's goes over the heads of his co-commentators.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
lurker#134
Club Player

Can't believe no one has mentioned James Hird on Sunday yet! He talked about the bloody Bombers at every opportunity even when we had just scored a goal.

Next Sunday won't be any better either, since were playing in the west they'll stick Jackovich on and he ain't any better.

WaggaSaint
Club Player

Have to agree about the commentators. Waffling for the sake of it more often than not.

A possible solution, could be to look at the BBC sports options on their freeview digital TV service in the UK. The vision stays consistent, but you have the option on commentary, as in the home commentators (eg, Vic) or the away commentators (eg, WA), however that's not really an option here. The other option is to have crowd noise only. This give you the atmosphere, without the BS.

If people are going to write to TV networks, this could be a possible suggestion, and it would still allow their ads (got to pay for it somehow), and it's really not a technical change for them at all.

Nice one chopps....
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

lurker#134 wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned James Hird on Sunday yet! He talked about the bloody Bombers at every opportunity even when we had just scored a goal.

Next Sunday won't be any better either, since were playing in the west they'll stick Jackovich on and he ain't any better.
At least Hird has some comprehension of the English language. Sadly more than we can say from Jackovich.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
aussiejones
Club Player

I think they are confused as to their actual role. They should complement the vision and stop the inane 'going on' about some players middle name ( a recent examlpe I remember). I think I would prefer silence to crap !

Better still a more radio like commentary of the game in front of us all.

While having a winge , when will they stop calling Milne selfish ?
The same type comments seem imbedded in their brains so when particular players are in the play the same crap comes from commentators mouths.

Perhaps new blood is required .....It looks at present as an easy gig with their cronies as often they seem uninterested in whats going on before their eyes ..

Saintsfan
Club Player

Unfortunately when Clinton Grybus died and Wayne Carey found more trouble the good commentary team on Fox Sports was broken up.

Grybus, Carey and Healy on Sunday twighlight games were fantastic both from a semi-informative level but also entertaining.

Channel 9 had a good team on Friday nights with Eddie, Lyon, Dennis and Dermott who were all either entertaining or semi-informative and seemed to work well as a unit.

The Saintsfan Cometh
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:I think they are confused as to their actual role. They should complement the vision and stop the inane 'going on' about some players middle name ( a recent examlpe I remember). I think I would prefer silence to crap !

Better still a more radio like commentary of the game in front of us all.

While having a winge , when will they stop calling Milne selfish ?
The same type comments seem imbedded in their brains so when particular players are in the play the same crap comes from commentators mouths.

Perhaps new blood is required .....It looks at present as an easy gig with their cronies as often they seem uninterested in whats going on before their eyes ..
I think you're right, the best commentators are those who say the most by saying the least. Englisman do it best in cricket and soccer.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Think most of them are good but the best was when Channel 9 had Sunday with BT, Brayshaw and Lyon. They had a bit of fun with the footy. Certainly the best way for TV to do it. We see the pictures so they should talk more about the game instead of commentating every kick. Overall though they are just as good as always.

Fearless
Club Player

Good comments all.

To me commentary is LCD - responds to the capacity of those out there in TV land with no wish to analyse and understand, i.e. Collingwood supporters, the very lowest common denominator sports fans. They like shouting, they don't want to know the reason their current team has no hope of winning a final against a top 4 team.

So, where are the ideas to remedy this awful situation - why not carry a selection of commentaries on Foxtel, from the basic to the intellectual to the comic, it is done on Sky in the UK.

Saints 2010.

Fearless, Saints footy. That's what I like.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Think most of them are good but the best was when Channel 9 had Sunday with BT, Brayshaw and Lyon. They had a bit of fun with the footy. Certainly the best way for TV to do it. We see the pictures so they should talk more about the game instead of commentating every kick. Overall though they are just as good as always.
Nothing is more sickening that some lame wannabe comedians making light of a game that your team is playing in.

Particularly if they're getting rolled.