Why you shouldn't mess with the footy gods...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

twirlyhair
Club Player

Why you shouldn't mess with the footy gods...

Footy has a funny way of hitting you with some pretty bad karma when you mess with the footy gods. I believe this to be the case with the Saints as we witness our team play with half the conviction that it had last year. Firstly, I have no doubt that the Saints messed with the soul and fabric of the club with our treatment of Max last year. As someone who had bled for the club, he should have been worked back into the team with finals in mind. In the conditions that we saw on GF day, he would have come into his own, and in my opinion, been the difference on the day. The club set aside loyalty and belief in a son of the club, and paid the penalty. This was also seen in the coaching staffs treatment of another son of the club, Luke Ball. We didn't lose Luke at the end of the year, we lost him early on in the season with not enough belief shown in him. The result was a 22 possession game after only playing half of the GF. With more faith and trust, he may well have got us over the line in the GF if he was given more game time. We would also have him now, and I dispute anyone who says that we are better without him. In addition to this, the coaching staff went after a player with dubious personal qualities (Lovett) in the hope that he would be the saviour. A year earlier we rejected Cousins because as the coach said, we are kidding ourselves if we think one player will get us there. Well in chasing Lovett, we took our eye of the most precious assets that we had...Ball, Maxy, and more importantly, the fabric and soul of the club. The footy gods have spoken, and we are paying the price.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:?:

What a random, poorly timed, and bitter post.

You think we lost our fabric and soul....weren't you watching number #7 running around today?

Heart and soul players don't give up, and they certainly don't walk out on the club.

saintkid
Club Player

GT is back posting. :lol:

goods
Club Player

Re: Why you shouldn't mess with the footy gods...

twirlyhair wrote:Footy has a funny way of hitting you with some pretty bad karma when you mess with the footy gods. I believe this to be the case with the Saints as we witness our team play with half the conviction that it had last year. Firstly, I have no doubt that the Saints messed with the soul and fabric of the club with our treatment of Max last year. As someone who had bled for the club, he should have been worked back into the team with finals in mind. In the conditions that we saw on GF day, he would have come into his own, and in my opinion, been the difference on the day. The club set aside loyalty and belief in a son of the club, and paid the penalty. This was also seen in the coaching staffs treatment of another son of the club, Luke Ball. We didn't lose Luke at the end of the year, we lost him early on in the season with not enough belief shown in him. The result was a 22 possession game after only playing half of the GF. With more faith and trust, he may well have got us over the line in the GF if he was given more game time. We would also have him now, and I dispute anyone who says that we are better without him. In addition to this, the coaching staff went after a player with dubious personal qualities (Lovett) in the hope that he would be the saviour. A year earlier we rejected Cousins because as the coach said, we are kidding ourselves if we think one player will get us there. Well in chasing Lovett, we took our eye of the most precious assets that we had...Ball, Maxy, and more importantly, the fabric and soul of the club. The footy gods have spoken, and we are paying the price.
Footy has a funny way of hitting you with some pretty bad karma when you mess with the footy gods. I believe this to be the case with this thread
Last edited by goods on Sun 23 May 2010 10:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:Footy has a funny way of hitting you with some pretty bad karma when you mess with the footy gods. I believe this to be the case with the Saints as we witness our team play with half the conviction that it had last year. Firstly, I have no doubt that the Saints messed with the soul and fabric of the club with our treatment of Max last year. As someone who had bled for the club, he should have been worked back into the team with finals in mind. In the conditions that we saw on GF day, he would have come into his own, and in my opinion, been the difference on the day. The club set aside loyalty and belief in a son of the club, and paid the penalty. This was also seen in the coaching staffs treatment of another son of the club, Luke Ball. We didn't lose Luke at the end of the year, we lost him early on in the season with not enough belief shown in him. The result was a 22 possession game after only playing half of the GF. With more faith and trust, he may well have got us over the line in the GF if he was given more game time. We would also have him now, and I dispute anyone who says that we are better without him. In addition to this, the coaching staff went after a player with dubious personal qualities (Lovett) in the hope that he would be the saviour. A year earlier we rejected Cousins because as the coach said, we are kidding ourselves if we think one player will get us there. Well in chasing Lovett, we took our eye of the most precious assets that we had...Ball, Maxy, and more importantly, the fabric and soul of the club. The footy gods have spoken, and we are paying the price.

I think the quote was 'if you think a 30 year old will make a difference'.....

Question - Would Max be playing this year? If so, how exactly are we 'paying the price' in terms of 2010?

We lost Ball early in the season? When he was preforming poorly? Maybe Luka Ball lost his spot all on his own....? Would he have been dropped if he was playing well, or to plan?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Posted at 6.47pm, probably written early in the third quarter... what, when we were 17 pts down?

LOL.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I dont bother reading posts that people cant be bothered hitting the Enter key during...at least once

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I dont bother reading posts that people cant be bothered hitting the Enter key during...at least once

No enter key there above mate, but I still read it! 8-) Not that you will read this thou haha 8-) 8-) 8-)

twirlyhair
Club Player

Footy has a funny way of hitting you with some pretty bad karma when you mess with the footy gods. I believe this to be the case with this thread[/quote]

Pretty poor response...although I guess predictable...you haven't answered any of the mentioned claims...

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

*cue close encounters music*

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
twirlyhair
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Posted at 6.47pm, probably written early in the third quarter... what, when we were 17 pts down?

LOL.
Another predictable post that relies upon playing the man and not the ball. Please respond to the claims in the written piece if you can. p.s. A win over a bottom team is great...but ....

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote: Another predictable post that relies upon playing the man and not the ball. Please respond to the claims in the written piece if you can. p.s. A win over a bottom team is great...but ....
an interstate win is GOLD!!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

What, no response to SainterK's post twirly? Too unpredicable?

Nothing you've written is revolutionary bud, in fact, the word PREDICTABLE springs to mind immediately.

I smell a troll.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Posted at 6.47pm, probably written early in the third quarter... what, when we were 17 pts down?

LOL.
Another predictable post that relies upon playing the man and not the ball. Please respond to the claims in the written piece if you can. p.s. A win over a bottom team is great...but ....
I'll respond. It is predictable, based on a Straw Man supposition, and clearly wrong.

All subjective and poorly argued ignorant opinion.

You look like a complete tool considering you posted this when you thought we were going to lose and came back to win.

As someone else posted - smells like a troll who now has egg all over their faces.

love it :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

best post so far this season...

for nuffiness 8-)

twirlyhair
Club Player

degruch wrote:What, no response to SainterK's post twirly? Too unpredicable?

Nothing you've written is revolutionary bud, in fact, the word PREDICTABLE springs to mind immediately.

I smell a troll.
Hmmm the predictability of your ranting continues! No troll here! In fact I would predict t I that ave supported the saints quite a bit longer than many here, and have also given the club alot more money than you are likely to see...and the Stalinist approach taken (have you heard of him little man?...) by many on this site dictates that all Saints supporters must not disagree or question the authority of the powers that be!!! Gutless clueless cowards who accept whatever the club says as gospel. Well, unlike many here, I, and many like me, question the decision making to go for Lovett, question the inability as an organisation to keep Ball, and dispute the respect shown to our greatest full back off all time. Hmm, now how else can you abuse me for questioning and raising an argument!! Come on! Lets see what youv'e got!!!

twirlyhair
Club Player

I smell a troll.
Hmm more abuse without actually taking the more difficult option which is to actually discuss THE ISSUE!!!!

bristol_saint
Club Player

There is no such thing as footy gods, just damn hard work and confidence (both of which have been lacking until 3rd quarter). you can talk about karma all you want, but as far as I know there is no scientific evidence to suggest such a thing exists, the only place it exists is in peoples minds and they connect totally random coincidences together that form some external force that we call a god.

And can a footy god exist if you are Christian? Or do you have to believe in a multi-god faith?

Boot to Ball....GOAL!!!
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I love Max to death but he was 33 and in his seven games, went off injured twice and left us short of a defender and short on rotations.

And this is the guy that would have made a difference in the Grand Final

Furtius Quo Rdelious
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

don't necessarily disagree with your post - just the timing of it.
(enter) now is the time to move on. I reckon the players have.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ace
Saintsational Legend

The footy gods!

I refuse to worship Demetriou, Anderson and Geischen.

They are evil and corrupt.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bigred
Saintsational Legend

What a load of twaddle.

Belongs on the first seven pages of the match day thread yesterday. Along with half of the hysterics posted there.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
fingers
Saintsational Legend

You're right. I forgot to ring my mum yesterday. This morning I read this post - that's karma :roll:
Last edited by fingers on Mon 24 May 2010 10:04am, edited 1 time in total.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:, and dispute the respect shown to our greatest full back off all time.
Who has been disrespecting Spud Frawley? Surely you aren't saying that Max was a better fullback than Spud?

What ignorance and complete disrespect to a guy who captained our club for nearly a decade.

Disgraceful to insult Spud in such a way.

Obviously you dont support the Saints.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saint vince
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote:

I smell a troll.
Hmmm the predictability of your ranting continues! No troll here! In fact I would predict t I that ave supported the saints quite a bit longer than many here, and have also given the club alot more money than you are likely to see...and the Stalinist approach taken (have you heard of him little man?...) by many on this site dictates that all Saints supporters must not disagree or question the authority of the powers that be!!! Gutless clueless cowards who accept whatever the club says as gospel. Well, unlike many here, I, and many like me, question the decision making to go for Lovett, question the inability as an organisation to keep Ball, and dispute the respect shown to our greatest full back off all time. Hmm, now how else can you abuse me for questioning and raising an argument!! Come on! Lets see what youv'e got!!!
You want your points addresses here goes.

1. The match commitee picked the best side they thougt we could field. Max unfortunately was not in that side. It is sad but that is the way it is. Did you want them to give him a gae just because he was a respected figure.
2 Ball left because he was told that his spot was not secure and he would need to work on his deficencies (in a similar way Dal and Milne were a year earlier) and he walked out on a club that he apparently loved. Who ould have thought that Milne and Dal had more inner resolve and commitment than Ball. It is still one of th biggest shocks I have had in football but hey I guess we don't always know what people are really like.
3 Lovett. Who could have guesed what had happened. We took Gady under worse circumstances than Lovett was in and he worked out fine. In hindsigt of course that was a bad decision.

If you think football is about warm and fuzzy feelings you are in the wrong game. I just want to win a flag ad I could not give a s*** who is playing.