Heyne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

quite impressed with this kid. seems direct with his play and has a booming left foot kick. persevere with him imo.

Saintsfan
Club Player

I don't see why not. He didn't get much of the ball however that could improve with confidence and his ability to actually find it and get into space develops.

He has certainly earned more games this year.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

did bugger all today. but i like the look of the kid. so give him another week in the ones i reckon.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:did bugger all today. but i like the look of the kid. so give him another week in the ones i reckon.
Post made me laugh in a good way, sort of that he didn't get much of the pill but had terrific endeavour and his output was more than McQualter and not much below Stanley.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Wigsy
Club Player

Yeah not to take away from our kids, and I think the new blood always assists in promoting some new life (both with the initial excitement and also by ensuring those in the team don't think they're a lock), but they are only doing bits and pieces and not really helping in offloading the pressure from the same old five or six. I still like Steven for his pace and tackling pressure. I'd certainly like to see us pegged down in size a bit - four ruckmen sized players, plus about five defenders averaging 6'3 or so. Too top heavy IMO. Obviously Gram out hurts a bit with the run factor.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

The jury's out from my perspective but I think he has something about him. Keep him in next week.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Heyne

Con Gorozidis wrote:I liked the look of the kid.
Yeah, for two and a half quarters it looked like he and a few mates thought they were in a beauty contest.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

IMO we have a great bunch of youngsters coming through...

I honestly believe that all of Heyne, Stanley, Geary and McEvoy will make it, I also believe that Armo will but I'm not so sure it will be with us...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
karnaby
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:did bugger all today. but i like the look of the kid. so give him another week in the ones i reckon.
I reckon that sums it up well Con. He has moments when he really looks like a good, skilled footballer.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
DWOODROW
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:IMO we have a great bunch of youngsters coming through...

I honestly believe that all of Heyne, Stanley, Geary and McEvoy will make it, I also believe that Armo will but I'm not so sure it will be with us...
I think you are spot on. Can't do enough to keep his spot or please Lyon.

shmic_s
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:

:shock: I would hate to see him go.
You would think he'll be back in the team sooner rather than later.
Think he'll make it. Just needs some consistant 4 quaters to hold his place, but he's not alone there.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Heyne in his two games has had some flashes. But lacked 4 quarters which is not surprising fora debatant.

These two games will be good for his development. However he has not quite done enough and so it would not surprise to see him omitted and someone else given their turn.

Heyne: Suspect he will be omitted.
Stanley: I suspect will be retained as an extra tall forward helps to keep our back structures.
Ben: Played quite well. Is a definite to stay. Hopefully this week will have been a turning point in his career with him now becominga permanent fixture and growing each week.

Peake: IMo did enough to stay and his pace is important with Gram out.

Raph: Played a very good game and will stay.
McQualter: Has to be on thin ground.

Armo and Steven: I would like to see one of them come in for Mini. IMO Armo. Steven might replace Heyne.

INs and OUTS:

In: Armo and Steven
Out: Heyne and Mini

These two changes would also inject some fresh legs into a team on a 6 day break returning from the West.

I would play BJ forward though with rotations thru the middle). This along with Stanley means that 3 smalls are not required. Mini out.

With Kosi, Stanly and BJ all as marking targets it will spread the load. Both Stanley and BJ can be midfield marking targets/links as well.

Geary is in the mic too. Though witha settled back we are in more in need ofa HF, Mid. However Geary is a good runner.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 24 May 2010 3:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'd keep Heyne in as he's potentially the 3rd marking target up forward. It's very easy to get lost playing half forward as a young player.... he presented well & tackled really well.

Mini has to have a spell. Jack or Armo in. No preference which one, although playing Armo forward gives us a bit more flexibility.

Agreed that we've got some beauties coming through. Add Lynchy to that group & we'll have some serious pressure on spots before too long.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'd keep Heyne in the team - especially now that there's a couple of easier games coming up.

Steven and Armo have had more games and a taste of it than Heyne - who might actually have what it takes to develop into the medium sized forward we lack .
We know Heyne has a booming kick... nothing beats the quick long ball into the F50... he just might need a few more games to settle in.

.. and the thing is we need a medium sized forward (Heyne isn't really competing with anyone who's a better prospect for that position ) more than we need another midfielder (Armo) or mid fielder/small forward (Steven)... so I reckon give Heyne a couple of more weeks, why not ? .. also it might make Armo and Steven even hungrier.

and I agree with the above post - the half forward flank is one of the hardest positions to play (hence the name "starvation corner").

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I'd keep Heyne in the team - especially now that there's a couple of easier games coming up.

No so sure about the easy. The Crows have been down, but give them a sniff and they could win.

Remember that our first half against the WCE was not too flash.

I certainly would not mind if Heyne is reatine. I just have a feeling that they will swap him though.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Let's be honest: if Nick Heyne retains his spot, it's only because we're trying to develop him. Was playing a tough role, but only came into it once our pressure players, ball winners, and marking players got on top.

It's a tough ask at Subi and all for a kid, but for mine he's had a taste to get a feel for what's needed, now he gets sent back and told to earn his next shot at it. Armitage I'd have ahead (and is the guy kicking around who might be able to push McQualter in a similar role, whose game has dropped from '09, but is still well ahead of Heyne/Steven).

Give Stanley another shot as he seemed to get more comfortable as the game wore on, and we need another tall forward option right now.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
samoht
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Let's be honest: if Nick Heyne retains his spot, it's only because we're trying to develop him. Was playing a tough role, but only came into it once our pressure players, ball winners, and marking players got on top.

It's a tough ask at Subi and all for a kid, but for mine he's had a taste to get a feel for what's needed, now he gets sent back and told to earn his next shot at it. Armitage I'd have ahead (and is the guy kicking around who might be able to push McQualter in a similar role, whose game has dropped from '09, but is still well ahead of Heyne/Steven).

Give Stanley another shot as he seemed to get more comfortable as the game wore on, and we need another tall forward option right now.
I just reckon that Armo and Steven have had plenty of chances and are still in the outer.

Good teams have medium sized forwards.
We need a medium sized forward.
Heyne has a couple of things going for him - the right height and long kick so I'd persevere with him ahead of Armo and Steven who as midfielders/small forwards are competing against more established and better players.

Whereas who is Heyne competing against - who is a better medium sized forward who has settled in that important role ?
Having said that i wouldn't be surprised if he's dropped... but i think it'll be a shame.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Heyne in his two games has had some flashes. But lacked 4 quarters which is not surprising fora debatant.
The only problem is that that's been something that's been said about Nick for a few years now. That he regularly goes "missing" in games. Or that he just bobs up and plays 5 minutes of brilliant footy here and there and does pretty much nothing for the rest of the game. So that may be a habit he won't break any time soon.
The fact we have so little coming through may mean we keep him in for another game, but he'd want to produce some more, soon, or he won't be in there for long.
I'd rather they left out Mini and Zac and brought in Steven and Armo this week. If they were to make three changes, then Heyne would probably be the one to go, but for who? It doesn't say much for depth, unfortunately.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Who is Heyne competing against who's become an established and better medium sized forward ?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Who is Heyne competing against who's become an established and better medium sized forward ?
Depends on how you structure the forward line.

This is how I would have it:

Milne/ Kosi/ Schneider

Rotating Mid/ Stanley/ BJ (who also rotates but say plays 50% forward)

Now Heyne could be part of the rotating players....

But effectively BJ becomes the medium forward.

I also like Peake to rotate through the HF with his pace.

Quixote
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote:

Hey mate - weren't you saying the other week there is no way Armo would go to the GC (or anywhere else)?

Have things changed?

I surely hope not!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
samoht
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
samoht wrote:Who is Heyne competing against who's become an established and better medium sized forward ?
Depends on how you structure the forward line.

This is how I would have it:

Milne/ Kosi/ Schneider

Rotating Mid/ Stanley/ BJ (who also rotates but say plays 50% forward)

Now Heyne could be part of the rotating players....

But effectively BJ becomes the medium forward.

I also like Peake to rotate through the HF with his pace.
My point exactly..

Whereas good teams have an established medium forward and don't need to rotate .. and I don't consider BJ a medium sized player... he plays big - stands his ground.

Heyne presents us with an opportunity to develop a genuine medium forward,

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:

I have stuck up for Dave as you well know DWOODROW, I think he has the ability to really be an asset to the side.

I thought the Freo game was going to be his breakout game, something seemed to click in the last quarter, but he has been well down since.

I think Dave's danger this year was always going to be a lack of competition for his spot.

rexy
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Heyne in his two games has had some flashes. But lacked 4 quarters which is not surprising fora debatant.
The only problem is that that's been something that's been said about Nick for a few years now. That he regularly goes "missing" in games. Or that he just bobs up and plays 5 minutes of brilliant footy here and there and does pretty much nothing for the rest of the game. So that may be a habit he won't break any time soon.
The fact we have so little coming through may mean we keep him in for another game, but he'd want to produce some more, soon, or he won't be in there for long.
I'd rather they left out Mini and Zac and brought in Steven and Armo this week. If they were to make three changes, then Heyne would probably be the one to go, but for who? It doesn't say much for depth, unfortunately.
Only been on the list since the start of last year, or do you mean from junior ranks also?

For what its worth I wouldnt mind us perservering another week, thought mini was very average and fear he is close to being dropped. A real shame as I have been a mini fan since before he was delisted and re rookied and really thought he may develop into a late blooming inside mid.

Maybe this year?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Had a taste....spell him, let him try to get back...if he loved it, hunger to get another crack will see him rise quickly....

Amazing how much better VFL players are, once they have been AFL players - Heyne will go back with the attitude that he should be dominating VFL...rather than learning...funny thing is mindset