tv footy shows and milne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tv footy shows and milne

couple of really good positive segments on the tellie tonight on our little champion milney....one on the couch ..the other on one hd ....one week at a time.....obviously the snide backhanded comments from thomas and other have rankled a bit.......first time i have seen darcy really go into bat for any of our players....bagged thomas out too......richly deserved imhfo...

...thomas hasn't won any friends over his comments on milne...and probably lost a few of this remaining supporters at moorabbin....

milney has won over a bit of popular support it would seem......anyway....well done milney.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Just saw GT on Footy Classified. Found it a bit sad that he wouldn't concede that in retrospect his comments were, at the least, poorly timed and that if he had his time over probably would have said something else. Stubbornly stuck by the ole, 'I was just answering the question' line. Anyway, hopefully it helped motivate Milney. Looked like the players and Milney weren't affected by it.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Simple truth is that Milne is still at St.Kilda nad the other bloke is now just a commentator.

Also not all of Thomases comments were reported in the interview.

Anyway it is typical Sun herald garbage.

Finey said that for Fevola's 200th they have a similar negative swipe.

Says more about the paper than the player IMHO.

Thomas is just dial a quote.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Just saw GT on Footy Classified. Found it a bit sad that he wouldn't concede that in retrospect his comments were, at the least, poorly timed and that if he had his time over probably would have said something else. Stubbornly stuck by the ole, 'I was just answering the question' line. Anyway, hopefully it helped motivate Milney. Looked like the players and Milney weren't affected by it.

i think ross was......made a reference for what he said were uncalled for attacks on the little guy before the match....probably stirred milney up a bit....hence his first goal....good....

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

GT actually seems incapable of admitting an error of judgement. Much less an apology!
Pathetic to see him tonight - just makes me want to vomit! He only admitted that Milney was OK when Wilson prompted him with the right words to agree to ....

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Simple truth is that Milne is still at St.Kilda nad the other bloke is now just a commentator.

Also not all of Thomases comments were reported in the interview.

Anyway it is typical Sun herald garbage.

Finey said that for Fevola's 200th they have a similar negative swipe.

Says more about the paper than the player IMHO.

Thomas is just dial a quote.

sheahan wasn't happy though...said that he first saw the article in the paper on friday morning
...thomas should have kept his mouth shut......the reporter knew what sort of comments he would get...thomas didn't let him down....let himself down though....

Moods
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Moods wrote:Just saw GT on Footy Classified. Found it a bit sad that he wouldn't concede that in retrospect his comments were, at the least, poorly timed and that if he had his time over probably would have said something else. Stubbornly stuck by the ole, 'I was just answering the question' line. Anyway, hopefully it helped motivate Milney. Looked like the players and Milney weren't affected by it.

i think ross was......made a reference for what he said were uncalled for attacks on the little guy before the match....probably stirred milney up a bit....hence his first goal....good....
You are correct. I should have said, 'weren't negatively affected by it.'

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Simple truth is that Milne is still at St.Kilda and the other bloke is now just a commentator.
Spot on.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am not going to concede either, I am more angry at the Herald Sun and their choice in both headline and their intention.

GT's comments were poorly timed....but he really has little influence or relevance to the St Kilda football club anymore, fair call?

Herald Sun on the other hand, have the ability to control the perception of everything St Kilda to the greater football public, and you would have to say they have shown our club in a less than favourable light in recent times.

Saintsfan
Club Player

You all are a bit rich. Most on here never admit when they are wrong so look in ones' own backyard...

The Saintsfan Cometh
Batnoe
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:You all are a bit rich. Most on here never admit when they are wrong so look in ones' own backyard...
Why do you always stick up for GT? he is a c**k head...

Has never admitted when he is wrong when sometimes he is. Never wanted a ruckmen, possibly could have wrecked out chance of a flag in 04 and 05, wanted to negoatiate contracts and not let anyone else step in when all he should do is coach a team. And now cant say that he is wrong about Milne when we know he is a champion of the club

All he has to say is that he himself is a f*** head

Carn Saints
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Noted that on TEN tonight they trotted out Milne's goal record at Home contrasted with Away and finals....obviously to try and back up GT.

However earlier I had watched OTC....and they had a table of the goal averages of a lot of the better small forwards currently playing.

Interesting fact was that Milne's supposed "bad" Away and Finals goal averages was on par with the overall averages of the other supposed "good" small forwards.

So Milne's "bad" away/finals record is not that "bad" when compared to what other small forwards get. It is just "average" of the better smalls.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saint Mik
Club Player

Wanting to drop a player that kicked 11 goals the week before going into a final sums that story and GT up for me, the paper is full of shyte and GT is just a flog now, fair dinkum that bloke has pickled his brain as he has drowned in his own sorrow over the last 4 years.

As Darcy said about that era of GT and finals results, "it says more about GT and his coaching than what it says about Milne the player"

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Saintsfan
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:You all are a bit rich. Most on here never admit when they are wrong so look in ones' own backyard...

Has never admitted when he is wrong when sometimes he is. Never wanted a ruckmen, possibly could have wrecked out chance of a flag in 04 and 05, wanted to negoatiate contracts and not let anyone else step in when all he should do is coach a team. And now cant say that he is wrong about Milne when we know he is a champion of the club

I stick up for GT because it is easy and a common mantra for all to jump on the back of the ex as it is easy to take pot shots.

Noboy on here admits freely when they are incorrect so why should GT just to appease the former faithful?

GT stated repeatedly he didnt have time for average ruckman. If we were going to have someone contest that was not quality he believe that they might as well act as a rover type (the way Blake was used for a while). Ultimately he tried to develop a ruckman of quality in Barry Brooks and we all know how that turned out.

He tried to get Jeff White to our club and we had him before Melbourne offered a higher contract with money that turned out to be outside the salary cap therefore cheating. He was a quality ruckman.

He might have negotiated contracts considering what he knew about the man doing it previously and his creative accounting abilities and what he went on to become and do....

He does not have to apologise for anything. Milne is still a big time choker when finals arrive. To his credit he is playing much better interstate.

Just because it has been a Milne love in this week doesn't mean he is immune to criticism.

The Saintsfan Cometh
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:Wanting to drop a player that kicked 11 goals the week before going into a final sums that story and GT up for me, the paper is full of shyte and GT is just a flog now, fair dinkum that bloke has pickled his brain as he has drowned in his own sorrow over the last 4 years.

As Darcy said about that era of GT and finals results, "it says more about GT and his coaching than what it says about Milne the player"
Yeah Darcy gave him a fair whack :)

One of the shows also showed Schneider as 4th or 5th on some kind of stats regarding small forwards, I noticed he was ahead of Eddie Betts, I just didn't catch enough of it to know what the context of this graph was?

Saintsfan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Noted that on TEN tonight they trotted out Milne's goal record at Home contrasted with Away and finals....obviously to try and back up GT.

However earlier I had watched OTC....and they had a table of the goal averages of a lot of the better small forwards currently playing.

Interesting fact was that Milne's supposed "bad" Away and Finals goal averages was on par with the overall averages of the other supposed "good" small forwards.

So Milne's "bad" away/finals record is not that "bad" when compared to what other small forwards get. It is just "average" of the better smalls.
Most smalls over other teams do not have the importance that Milne has. He is like another key forward and the way he players defines him so. When he has a bad night it is like a tall forward not performing.

Most other smalls can do into the midfield and do okay however that was tried with Milne. He has been getting up the ground more however and he looks ok.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Saint Mik
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:
Batnoe wrote:

I stick up for GT because it is easy and a common mantra for all to jump on the back of the ex as it is easy to take pot shots.

Very easy when the bloke is a tool now with no respect

Just because it has been a Milne love in this week doesn't mean he is immune to criticism

A bit of credit on a milestone game would not of killed him dont you think, why pot the bloke just for a headline, he works in the media and knows how the papers run with a story so why do it, oh hang on we are talking about a bloke that needs to get himself credit somehow but he is losing plenty every week..
Last edited by Saint Mik on Tue 15 Jun 2010 1:41am, edited 1 time in total.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Saintsfan
Club Player

Saint Mik wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Batnoe wrote:

Very easy when the bloke is a tool now with no respect

Just because it has been a Milne love in this week doesn't mean he is immune to criticism.
A bit of credit on a milestone game would not of killed him dont you think, why pot the bloke just for a headline, he works in the media and knows how the paperes run with a story so why do it, oh hang on we are talking about a bloke that needs to get himself credit somehow but he is losing plenty every week.
Who cares though?

The Saintsfan Cometh
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Noted that on TEN tonight they trotted out Milne's goal record at Home contrasted with Away and finals....obviously to try and back up GT.

Most smalls over other teams do not have the importance that Milne has.
He is like another key forward and the way he players defines him so. When he has a bad night it is like a tall forward not performing.

Most other smalls can do into the midfield and do okay however that was tried with Milne. He has been getting up the ground more however and he looks ok.
You have strange logic there....
Yes he is important because he is good.

And most other "good" small forwards are not proven midfield performers.

And Milne has been playing all over the ground not just this year, but last year too.

Difference is quality coaching.

GT said years ago that he knew the reasons why Milne and Gehrig were not so good interstate. Clearly he was wrong for with a better coach Milne has a good interstate record.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:

Who cares though?
Clearly you do as you are all over any GT thread. Relative perhaps?

I missed the team in the 60's except their last few years.

Thanks to having:
*the remains of the 97 GF team (Harvey etc)
*players gained from hiring Bight as coach (GTrain , etc)
*bottoming out when priority picks were brought in
*having the good fortune to have the Blues caught cheating so that we gained Goddard

GT was gifted the best St Kilda list since the 60's.(though to be fair when on the Board he was part of the hunting process to bring some elite players to the Club)..coming to a peak in the post Lions (awesome team) era when good but not great teams won the flags in the Swans and WCE.

Only ineptitude in coaching, list management and player conditioning prevented the Saints winning at least one flag in that period. All due to a guy that had his mate give him the job with both lie-ing at the time about how GT really got the job.

While GT lived out every boys dream of coaching his AFL club under false pretenses, we as a club wasted a golden opportunity by not hiring a "real" coach.

GT's current bagging of Milne again just reveals that GT could not coach and should never have been the coach.

Darcy's comments tonight on GT and Milne were bang on the money. GT comments reveal more about GT being a poor coach than Milne being a poor player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Watched all the footy shows last night and all were positive about Milne. GT explained his comments and you can take them or leave them. I find it so funny that with all the positive comments on Milne people still want to find out a slightly negative comment. Talk about wanting to hear the negatives. I dont know if it is Saints supporter trait but I find it amazing. Look at the threads this week on Brian Taylor and Gerard Healy. Of course during a game the comentators are going to be both positive and negative about both sides but what do we do jump on the negative and say biased they are against us. Simply amazing.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Watched all the footy shows last night and all were positive about Milne. GT explained his comments and you can take them or leave them. I find it so funny that with all the positive comments on Milne people still want to find out a slightly negative comment. Talk about wanting to hear the negatives. I dont know if it is Saints supporter trait but I find it amazing. Look at the threads this week on Brian Taylor and Gerard Healy. Of course during a game the comentators are going to be both positive and negative about both sides but what do we do jump on the negative and say biased they are against us. Simply amazing.
You've missed the point. This isn't about hunting down the negative. If GT was 'just another commentator' then I'm sure we'd all just dismiss him as 'just another flog.' GT was his ex coach. Whether you like it or not this carries far more weight in everyones eyes, otherwise ppl wouldn't ask him about the saints. It's the only leverage GT carries now in the media and he seems determined to exercise it.

Personally I don't think this is anything like the BT and GH whinging on Foxtel. Normally our measured coach wouldn't comment after a game about media hype during the week, but he too knew that this was more than just a media commentator commenting.

Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Watched all the footy shows last night and all were positive about Milne. GT explained his comments and you can take them or leave them. I find it so funny that with all the positive comments on Milne people still want to find out a slightly negative comment. Talk about wanting to hear the negatives. I dont know if it is Saints supporter trait but I find it amazing. Look at the threads this week on Brian Taylor and Gerard Healy. Of course during a game the comentators are going to be both positive and negative about both sides but what do we do jump on the negative and say biased they are against us. Simply amazing.
The voice of reason ...yet again.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
Has never admitted when he is wrong when sometimes he is. Never wanted a ruckmen...
What the hell??

I've heard it spun several ways over the years, but that's the best one I've read!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Most smalls over other teams do not have the importance that Milne has.
He is like another key forward and the way he players defines him so. When he has a bad night it is like a tall forward not performing.

You have strange logic there....
Yes he is important because he is good.

And most other "good" small forwards are not proven midfield performers.

And Milne has been playing all over the ground not just this year, but last year too.

Difference is quality coaching.

GT said years ago that he knew the reasons why Milne and Gehrig were not so good interstate. Clearly he was wrong for with a better coach Milne has a good interstate record.
since he was coach then, why didn't he fix the problem? all he can do now is whine aobut it for the last 4 years.

it would seem from the fact that milne didn't fix the problem at the time that the players were probably told to fix their own problems? now you have a coach that is trying to fix the problems, and appears to be working.