Work This OUt!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe
Club Player

Work This OUt!

Alright, we have 2 number 1 draft picks

Goddard and Riewoldt

If they were in the same year... and we had pick 1 and you could only pick 1, who would you pick?

I think it is damn hard and am glad we were never in that position

They're totally different players, but who would you pick if you had first pick in 2010 and they were both available and u know how good that they've been

Carn Saints
starsign
Club Player

no brainer! though no disrespect for BJ

and look how we got the Roo Kozi bit right
...or did we ?in terms of did any of 3, 4 plus .. turn out better than Koz??

GoTheTorp
Club Player

Hind sight is 20/20

wasaintsfan
Club Player

roos plays one position... goddard forced to play many.... prob pref goddard because if he had the chance to settle in a position.. well hed be the best in afl in what ever positioned he settled

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

starsign wrote:no brainer! though no disrespect for BJ

No, Well Didak was either #3 or #4, but we would not want a player like him at our club anyway. Would have cost us alot more than he would have delivered.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:

No, Well Didak was either #3 or #4, but we would not want a player like him at our club anyway. Would have cost us alot more than he would have delivered.

didak was three from memory...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SuperSaint
Club Player

stinger wrote:
#1GILL wrote:

Yes he was number 3.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

SuperSaint wrote:
stinger wrote:
#1GILL wrote:

Yes he was number 3.
Okay great, now that we've established where Didak went, let's get back to the topic people!

I think with Nick atm it's a little bit of out of sight out of mind. Even though he is not out of mind, BJ has been very dominant over the last 6 weeks, and we haven't seen Nick play lately so it's natural to start considering this question, but when Nick gets back, I beleive he will remind us all why at the start of the year this question, which is relevant atm, would have been laughed at.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is this question actually for real.

saintnick12
Club Player

As much as I love BJ, it has to be Nick. By a long way.

Glad we didn't have to make that choice and we are lucky enough to have them both. :D

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

ALWAYS pick a gun Key Position fwd over any other player. History tells us that they are the most valuable commodity in our game. Don't even need to think about it really. As good as BJ is we are talking about possibly the best player in the saints history. If not then he's right up there with plugger (who incidentally was also gun key position fwd)

Let's hope both are up and firing come September and it's not something we need to contemplate.

What I would kill for is a realistic debate about who is better Kosi or Rooey. I'd love to be sitting here typing about the cons and pros of both players and splitting hairs over their respective abilities. I reckon if that was ever a realistic debate we would have at least 2 more flags in the bag by now. :(

saint3d
Club Player

I would go so far as to say Nick would still go at number one if you put every number one pick together since the draft began.

You could make a strong case for BJ to be picked second from that list, too.

Richter
SS Life Member

saint3d wrote:I would go so far as to say Nick would still go at number one if you put every number one pick together since the draft began.

You could make a strong case for BJ to be picked second from that list, too.
Last 15 years of no.1 draft picks...

1995 Clive Waterhouse----Fremantle
1996 Michael Gardiner----West Coast
1997 Travis Johnstone----Melbourne
1998 Des Headland-------Brisbane Lions
1999 Josh Fraser----------Collingwood
2000 Nick Riewoldt--------St Kilda
2001 Luke Hodge----------Hawthorn
2002 Brendon Goddard----St Kilda
2003 Adam Cooney--------Western Bulldogs
2004 Brett Deledio---------Richmond
2005 Marc Murphy---------Carlton
2006 Bryce Gibbs----------Carlton
2007 Matthew Kreuzer-----Carlton
2008 Jack Watts-----------Melbourne
2009 Tom Scully-----------Melbourne

Out of that lot, my top 4 (so far in their careers....)

1. Nick Riewoldt
2. Luke Hodge
3. Brendon Goddard
4. Adam Cooney

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

if both Roo and BJ were both back at their drafting ages and both had the same atributes of that time we would still picked Roo over BJ .... Roo as a junior was heads and shoulders above the rest and all clubs were of the thinking that they could build the team around this player ... it was a no brainer decision picking Roo and i would say every club given that no 1 pick was going to pick him with it ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saintsfan
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:if both Roo and BJ were both back at their drafting ages and both had the same atributes of that time we would still picked Roo over BJ .... Roo as a junior was heads and shoulders above the rest and all clubs were of the thinking that they could build the team around this player ... it was a no brainer decision picking Roo and i would say every club given that no 1 pick was going to pick him with it ...
I would suspect that most number 1 kpp's are expected to be a mainstay and have a team built around them.

Look at Josh Fraser for example.......

The Saintsfan Cometh
Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Is this question actually for real.
Not to your liking again..maybe you should avoid making a comment you old sad sack...or maybe just let you post all the questions and opinions?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
Not to your liking again..maybe you should avoid making a comment you old sad sack...or maybe just let you post all the questions and opinions?
just ignore him hes going to put his 2c in every time if you dont want to read it skip it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:

you got his number :wink: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
How is it going pot kettle black. You have given naught in everyone of your posts. Just give us something. I dont like the question because like most things people forget when a player is out of action. Rooy is so far ahead of BJ and anyone else for that matter as number one pick. Dont people remember what we were saying about Rooy after round 3.

Now go back in your box or just post something slightly of interest. You should know you cant post when Stinger agrees with you.

Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:
How is it going pot kettle black. You have given naught in everyone of your posts. Just give us something. I dont like the question because like most things people forget when a player is out of action. Rooy is so far ahead of BJ and anyone else for that matter as number one pick. Dont people remember what we were saying about Rooy after round 3.

Now go back in your box or just post something slightly of interest. You should know you cant post when Stinger agrees with you.

I thought it was a simple question for us simple folk and would not interest the self confessed know it all...but surprise surprise you couldn't help yourself....anyway I rate them both and yes Nicks the best....PS I'm out of the box champ !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:

I thought it was a simple question for us simple folk and would not interest the self confessed know it all...but surprise surprise you couldn't help yourself....anyway I rate them both and yes Nicks the best....PS I'm out of the box champ !!
You are consistant. Another uninteresting post. Im sure Stinger will like it though.