Channel 9 News...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigD
Club Player

BigD wrote:Interesting to see GT's reaction to this on Footy Classified tonight.

I would expect him (and Caro come to think of it) to come out swinging in support of the players and damning gutter journalism. They are both, on the other hand, on a Channel 9 show and being paid by 9, as is Hutchy.

Find out soon enough....
I just finished watching a promotion piece for Nine News by a bunch of sock puppets masquerading as a serious "hard hitting" football analysis show.

Hutchinson could barely wipe the grin from his face. GT had been completely muted and Wilson toed the 'company line' whilst Lyon ended with the scripted cliffhanger: "we'll all have to watch Nine News tomorrow night to find out more".

What an utter disgrasce! :evil: :evil:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I realise the personalities involved with the initial case are members of the St Kilda FC, but other than that, does this story have anything to do with the club or the players whatsoever?

Honestly, a cop comes out and claims pressure was place on him internally to drop the case, which he didn't...is this a football story? The club statement covers it's relevance in two sentences. Why should it even be raised on a footy show? Do they bring up other internal police matters on sports programs?

Smells of beat-up to me.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Firstly, the statute of limitations has now expired for any civil action in this matter (7 years), so there is no way anyone involved can have civil charges brought against them.

The criminal case will not be re-opened ... I have spoken to a serving detective at the time who told me that from what he had heard, there was insufficient evidence for any charge to be successfully prosecuted.

So criminally they are in the clear as well.

This is purely and simply an issue about internal police processes, internal police corruption and the desperate need we have for a proper corruption authority in this state.

HOWEVER, as an 'internal police' issues, it ranks nowhere near any of the recent OPI bungled investigations etc ...

SO I don't understand why it's even a story?

I'm sorry, what are they suggesting ... that some retired cop in charge of an investigation was crap at his job and couldn't control his team of officers to keep track of evidence?

Or that he permitted senior officers to intervene in his investigation? Or was willing to sacrifice his integrity for the sake of his career?

This is the biggest needle in a haystack.

The headline should read "Further allegations of high-level corruption rock the police force".

Nothing to do with St Kilda.
You say the statute of limitations has now expired for any civil action in this matter (7 years). It's been 6 and a half years since the players were investigated. Are you saying the expiry date is 7 years?

Another opportunity awaits!
BigD
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/footyshow/fe ... ormid=2466

feedback form For FC and plenty of advrtising for tomorrow's follow up.......... :roll:
I just sent this to their feedback form:

re: Nine News StKilda story - 21st June, 2010

I just finished watching a five minute promotion piece for Nine News by a bunch of sock puppets masquerading as a serious "hard hitting" football analysis show.

Hutchinson could barely wipe the grin from his face. GT had been completely muted and Wilson toed the 'company line' whilst Lyon ended with the scripted cliffhanger: "we'll all have to watch Nine News tomorrow night to find out more". What an utter disgrace!

- I can sleep a little better now....

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Legendary wrote:Firstly, the statute of limitations has now expired for any civil action in this matter (7 years), so there is no way anyone involved can have civil charges brought against them.

The criminal case will not be re-opened ... I have spoken to a serving detective at the time who told me that from what he had heard, there was insufficient evidence for any charge to be successfully prosecuted.

This is purely and simply an issue about internal police processes, internal police corruption and the desperate need we have for a proper corruption authority in this state.

HOWEVER, as an 'internal police' issues, it ranks nowhere near any of the recent OPI bungled investigations etc ...

I'm sorry, what are they suggesting ... that some retired cop in charge of an investigation was crap at his job and couldn't control his team of officers to keep track of evidence?

Or that he permitted senior officers to intervene in his investigation? Or was willing to sacrifice his integrity for the sake of his career?

The headline should read "Further allegations of high-level corruption rock the police force".

You say the statute of limitations has now expired for any civil action in this matter (7 years). It's been 6 and a half years since the players were investigated. Are you saying the expiry date is 7 years?
It's 7 years for civil action, which can be extended. No limitation for criminal action.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
What was the comment last week?
the comment last week- 'Don't underestimate the trustworthiness of some people..." followed a question on Milney's interview- after he had taken umbrage at being asked about the Milne interview. just seemed an odd comment when a further ' No Comment" with bristle would have had affect.

part of this interview
http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio ... rence-8310

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
chook23
Saintsational Legend

original online article

words have been changed by Heraldsun.............highlights just how bad the first article was written

Disgraceful reporting by Heraldsun.

words like "case of rape dropped" to "rape charge collapsed" blah blah

NEVER CHARGED.......... investigated........ YES

gutter paper

saint4life
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

beat up story on channel 9 clearly payback by that c@#$ maguire, i will never watch a show hes on again. If it was such a big in depth investigation why would you drag it out over two nights ? just muckraking to get some ratings. Would be nice to see if any lawyers could get a strong enough case to sue channel 9 for allot of the valid points many posters have written previous. . Its been open hunting season on the saints this year and its about time we started fighting back !!!!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The ONLY allegation that the poilce officer really made was that evidence disappeared and then reappeared. The inference being that the complainants details were passed on to the club. If they were passed on it's wrong, but hardly lead story stuff. There is nil allegation that the police actually interfered with the case, just that some senior officers tried to interfere by intimidation.

It's basically a story that the lead detective believes that the matter should have gone to committal and that OPP at the time disagreed. I really can't see what the issue is. This happens all the time. Not unusual for informants to feel passionately about their case, after all they put a lot of hard work into the case. However this is the exact reason why an independent senior officer reviews the brief as does the OPP.

Not sure the accusations that the copper is crap at his job is very fair. Who said he didn't investigate the matter thoroughly? Even the saints admit that he did. Who said that he bowed to the pressure that was put on him and that the brief was compromised? The copper never said that. He just said that senior poice tried to influence him, but he didn't bow to the pressure. He obviously believes that Milney was guilty - but to go to the media over it is stupid. The fact he's now resigned suggests he has a few axes to grind with some police. What is wrong is that ch9 think it's news and that men who were never charged have been dragged back into the spotlight. Either charge them, or leave them alone! I shudder to think what Milney will have to go through this Friday night. It seems every second week the club has some crisis it has to deal with.
Last edited by Moods on Tue 22 Jun 2010 2:06am, edited 1 time in total.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Wed 20 Oct 2010 3:38am, edited 1 time in total.

Badlands
Club Player

From a very ordinary Herald Sun editorial today (which calls for case to be re-opened if cop's claims are true and suggests that questions remain over the business interests associated with the St Kilda):

Milne was alleged to have had "non-consensual" as well as "consensual" sex with a woman, and Montagna was allegedly a witness.

This is very different to how i recall the incident being reported at the time? From what i remember, Montagna and Milne were both implicated in whatever was alleged to have gone on.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/edi ... 5882477311

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

MMM news says the case is most likely to be reopened

Before Im 85
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Moccha wrote:

It's 7 years for civil action, which can be extended. No limitation for criminal action.
Im pretty sure civil action has started on this matter.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

2 page spread in the herald sun.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The bits of the story that bother me are

1. The implication that important people associated with the club put pressure on senior cops to get the charges dropped.

2. That someone at the club was prepared to receive the unlawfully-obtained case records that went missing.

3. That we hired a private detective to follow the girl around for years (whatever happened, why on earth would we need to do that?)

As others have said, it sounds like a case of a detective getting carried away with the case he thought he had and sensing a conspiracy to stop him from taking it to court.

The conspiracy angle just doesn't ring true to me. Neither Milne nor Montagna were exactly star players at the time: would the club go so incredibly far to save their bacon (we are talking about openly perverting the course of justice)?
Last edited by meher baba on Tue 22 Jun 2010 8:48am, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Im pretty sure civil action has started on this matter.
Wasn't an out of court settlement reached already?

If not, then surely the treatment of this officer's allegation by CH9, might jeopardise that Civil Case?

If it hasn't been already heard, or settled,
How does Milne defend himself, where the plaintiff only needs a majority of jurors to win, when a major television news article has inferred he is guilty.
Also, the retired detective stated that, in his opinion, Milne should have stood trial and then proceeded to outline the allegations against him (something I've not seen/heard previously).

IMO Channel 9 achieved what they set out to do - raise another case of questionable police behaviour and at the same time spice it up by hanging AFL fottballers out to dry.

I don't beieve this story was fuelled by Eddie or Malthouse.
BUT I'd be astonished if they didn't have prior knowledge of it.
Caro said on FC last night that she'd spoken to people at CH9 adn Tony Jones had told her of more to come tonight.
And anybody believe that 'Hutchy the Tosser' didn't have prior knowledge of this? He just sat there last night with a stupid expression on his face, saying nothing.

There will be some satisfied people wandering around today -
Hutchy, the biggest media loser over the initial story
Tony Jones, virtually called a liar by the AFL over 'Whispers in the Sky' and a Collingwood supporting confidant of Eddie
Malthouse - the liar who can feel some 'vindication'
Eddie - who had to suffer the wider wolrd calling his coach a Liar

What will be the reaction at AFL House over this?
Will they be happy with CH9's treatment of the story?

If I were running CH7/10 I'd be making a 'highlight package' of this (and any other CH9 stories that could be categorized as unhelpful to the AFL) and use it when the TV rights are up for re-negotiation.

OR will money in the end be the only determinant used for the tv rights, no matter how badly the television station(s) denigrate the code?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The Herald Sun. I tried using it as toilet paper once but my ar$e rejected it.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Then there's the school of thought that says St Kilda players should perhaps avoid compromising situations like the plague.

An unhelpful quip, I know, but nevertheless...

Ch 9 have no football other than a talking heads slot late and two hours of ex players cross dressing.

They have little to lose by running spurious crap.

Sad.

What's Tom Berenger's charactery say in that Major League movie when he finds out the club's owner's purposefully undermining the club ?

"I guess theres' only one thing left to do. Go out and win the whole f--cking thing."

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Thinline"]Then there's the school of thought that says St Kilda players should perhaps avoid compromising situations like the plague.

Ch 9 have no football other than a talking heads slot late and two hours of ex players cross dressing.

Sad.
/quote]

100% agree.

SO, should we expect an item on CH9 News in the near future about Didak?
Maybe they can interview the police who were being shot at by Hudson whilst Didak was 'asleep' in the back seat of the car?
Maybe they could interview some of the bikies he was fraternizing with in the Craigieburn ClubHouse?
Maybe they can interview the Police Officer who offered him a lift home from the city after Hudson dropped him off?
Maybe they can interview the police officer in charge of the murder investigation where Brendon Keilar got killed?

Just imagine the treatment from them -
Photographs of Didak, Eddie, Malthouse interposed with photos of Hudson (the murderer) and the sheet covered body lying in the street.
Interviews of tha poor Dutch backpacker who was shot for coming to the aid of the girls.
An incident that would never have happened if Didak had spoken up about his 'night out'. (Hudson would have been in custody for shooting at police, instead of out on the streets.)

Rivetting television I would have thought.
Should I hold my breath wating for this particular news item?

BTW, Did this news story only get shown in Victoria (not interstate?)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Thinline wrote:Then there's the school of thought that says St Kilda players should perhaps avoid compromising situations like the plague.

Sad.
/quote]

100% agree.

SO, should we expect an item on CH9 News in the near future about Didak?
Maybe they can interview the police who were being shot at by Hudson whilst Didak was 'asleep' in the back seat of the car?
Maybe they could interview some of the bikies he was fraternizing with in the Craigieburn ClubHouse?
Maybe they can interview the Police Officer who offered him a lift home from the city after Hudson dropped him off?
Maybe they can interview the police officer in charge of the murder investigation where Brendon Keilar got killed?

Just imagine the treatment from them -
Photographs of Didak, Eddie, Malthouse interposed with photos of Hudson (the murderer) and the sheet covered body lying in the street.
Interviews of tha poor Dutch backpacker who was shot for coming to the aid of the girls.
An incident that would never have happened if Didak had spoken up about his 'night out'. (Hudson would have been in custody for shooting at police, instead of out on the streets.)

Rivetting television I would have thought.
Should I hold my breath wating for this particular news item?

BTW, Did this news story only get shown in Victoria (not interstate?)
Would require an involved police offer retiring and the blabbing, but your point is valid

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The key question is whether the case was compromised or not. Was it?

Why didn't the reporter ask him that?

Where is the evidence that the Saints were involved in this? Where is the evidence that the Saints had someone follow the girl?

Why didn't the ex copper with the heavy lithp come forward earlier? Perhaps he was trying to tell people but no one could understand him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

BigD wrote:
I just finished watching a promotion piece for Nine News by a bunch of sock puppets masquerading as a serious "hard hitting" football analysis show.

Hutchinson could barely wipe the grin from his face. GT had been completely muted and Wilson toed the 'company line' whilst Lyon ended with the scripted cliffhanger: "we'll all have to watch Nine News tomorrow night to find out more".

What an utter disgrasce! :evil: :evil:
Really though, it's just not a football story. Not in any way, shape or form.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

From the HS story on their website, this wasn't on the news last night, is this in the next part of the next edition?

The former policeman was critical of Montagna's refusal to make a full statement after initially co-operating with police and being cleared of any wrongdoing himself.

"If a leader of the St Kilda football club is someone who hides behind the club ... who won't be a man and say ... I'm prepared to make a statement to police ...

"He's got to go home and face his family and he's got to face himself in the mirror," Mr Gladman said.

markp
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:original online article

words have been changed by Heraldsun.............highlights just how bad the first article was written

Disgraceful reporting by Heraldsun.

words like "case of rape dropped" to "rape charge collapsed" blah blah

NEVER CHARGED.......... investigated........ YES

gutter paper
Yup, they've changed it this morning!

Slack.

Let's see if channel 9 were as careless when crossing all their t's and dotting all their i's....

I'm sure all the Police and legal people they implied are corrupt will be looking into just that this morning.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

3AW running with it as well on Neil Mitchell....although his angle is most severely leaning towards the policy corruption side of the story.

Although he did finish that the police have a history of covering up footballer indiscretions, citing a Carlton football story of 2005.