Holding the ball decisions 2004-2010

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Holding the ball decisions 2004-2010

Source: One week at a time (One HD)

From rounds 1-12

2004 279
2005 294
2006 533
2007 643
2008 667
2009 752
2010 770

What a dramatic increase. I guess that's why we have tried to set the benchmark in tackling.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

absolute disgraceful joke is what it is!! :evil:

Complete change of the rule. DONT be caught trying to make the playl and being first to ball. Prior oppotunity? Now utterley NON EXISTANT.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I think they are pretty consistent.

If you had opportunity and get tackled but don't make an effort, you get pinged.

If you dive on the ball and get tackled, you get pinged.

Can one of the mods move this over to the General footy discussion board?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

kosifantutti23 wrote:I think they are pretty consistent.

If you had opportunity and get tackled but don't make an effort, you get pinged.

Wrong! They pay PLENTY wherethere is no oppotunity in anyway what soever. What game you watching?? :roll:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Yes the umpires are consistently bad

Another opportunity awaits!
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

iwantmeseats wrote:

Wrong! They pay PLENTY wherethere is no oppotunity in anyway what soever. What game you watching?? :roll:
I disagree :roll:

Furtius Quo Rdelious
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Holding the ball paid against Gary Ablett and Chris Judd *:

2004: 0
2005: 0
2006: 0
2007: 0
2008: 0
2009: 0
2010: 0

There's umpiring consistency for ya!

* Results may have been altered within a 1-2 penalty tolerance.

ben_fff
Club Player

degruch wrote:Holding the ball paid against Gary Ablett and Chris Judd *:

2004: 0
2005: 0
2006: 0
2007: 0
2008: 0
2009: 0
2010: 0

There's umpiring consistency for ya!

* Results may have been altered within a 1-2 penalty tolerance.
Gazza got caught twice on the weekend and a few times in the games leading up to it, the pack has apparently caught him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Much better if we just have another 30 ball ups a game. That would be great to watch. Why does it matter if there are now more holding the balls. Every club gets them ot do we miss out more than most. If we do it makes plenty of sense.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Much better if we just have another 30 ball ups a game. That would be great to watch. Why does it matter if there are now more holding the balls. Every club gets them ot do we miss out more than most. If we do it makes plenty of sense.
that's ridiculous, our game has always been about rewarding the bloke who has the guts to put his head down and get the ball. Now it's about a bunch of blokes taking the easy way out and jumping on the top of him. Its turned into rugby union. Release the ball at all costs even if it means throwing it.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Much better if we just have another 30 ball ups a game. That would be great to watch.
Some people like the footy because of the contest between men and clubs - not because it's 'great to watch'.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Of course the rule has changed. It's a good thing it has too.

Players are faster, their reflexes are better, they've trained themselves to be increasingly harder to put into a compromising position. Look at the number of players now who reflexively get off a little kick with their arm pinned, where not long ago, we'd have been yelling "what's he supposed to do, where's the prior?"

Holding the ball, essentially a delay-of-game-call, has evolved with it. As has the umpire. of course there are more holding the ball calls today. In other news, going into the rain may cause you to get wet.

It's a problem that players are conning umpires with pull-it-back-in-and-pin... just as it's a problem how many seem to cynically throw the ball and dare the umps to make a call. These are things to give some thought to, not umpire interpretations of rules that are doing exactly what they're there for.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Much better if we just have another 30 ball ups a game. That would be great to watch. Why does it matter if there are now more holding the balls. Every club gets them ot do we miss out more than most. If we do it makes plenty of sense.
that's ridiculous, our game has always been about rewarding the bloke who has the guts to put his head down and get the ball. Now it's about a bunch of blokes taking the easy way out and jumping on the top of him. Its turned into rugby union. Release the ball at all costs even if it means throwing it.
So you want more ball ups because that is what would happen because tackling is so good today. i'd rather a few frees paid because if you dont pay them everyone will just dive on the ball with no result apart from a ball up.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Much better if we just have another 30 ball ups a game. That would be great to watch.
Some people like the footy because of the contest between men and clubs - not because it's 'great to watch'.
Who would want to watch something that is "great to watch"?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
fingers
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:

Schneider last week as an example.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

I dont think Schneider rid of it though.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
fingers wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

True. Never had a chance. I think they should all stand around the ball in a goddess circle a will it out with pleasant thoughts...that'd be exciting footy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
fingers wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

True. Never had a chance. I think they should all stand around the ball in a goddess circle a will it out with pleasant thoughts...that'd be exciting footy.
Did he jump on it first or pull it in because if he did there is no prior opportunity.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
fingers wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

Did he jump on it first or pull it in because if he did there is no prior opportunity.
There was no 'jump on' or 'pull in' motion involved, he was sliding as he took possession, whilst a near stationary opposition player grabbed him and the ball. Nothing wrong with any of it, apart from the lightening fast HTB call before Schnieder had reached his third attempt to punch the ball out of his/opposition players hands. Sould have been a boring ball up, but was sdaly, an exciting scoring opportunity for Freo.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
fingers wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

There was no 'jump on' or 'pull in' motion involved, he was sliding as he took possession, whilst a near stationary opposition player grabbed him and the ball. Nothing wrong with any of it, apart from the lightening fast HTB call before Schnieder had reached his third attempt to punch the ball out of his/opposition players hands. Sould have been a boring ball up, but was sdaly, an exciting scoring opportunity for Freo.
If you dont pay them there will be so many ball ups the game will become just a very much stop hardly start game. The umpires just have to try as best they can to get the decisions right.

What would you suggest the rule should be?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:What would you suggest the rule should be?
Exactly as is, only with prior opportunity taken into account. Some benefit must be paid for players attempting to make the play that find themselves set upon by outside receivers.

To use the Filth as an example, it's very exciting to have a lot of Dale Thomas' out there, but someone has to be a Luke Ball to make that happen.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Exactly as is, only with prior opportunity taken into account. Some benefit must be paid for players attempting to make the play that find themselves set upon by outside receivers.

To use the Filth as an example, it's very exciting to have a lot of Dale Thomas' out there, but someone has to be a Luke Ball to make that happen.
If a player jumps on the ball and is given prior opportunity what happens if it is held in by either that player or another player?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

If a player jumps on the ball and is given prior opportunity what happens if it is held in by either that player or another player?
HTB. Where is this line of questioning heading, your honour?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

So it will end up the same as it is now.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

So it will end up the same as it is now.
Except with prior opportunity added. :wink: