AFLPA

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

AFLPA

Did they do anything to support Baker, did they even say a word?

Or are they too busy throwing their support behind a former player who was de-listed?

Hmm...

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The AFL Players' Association is monitoring the case. Public affairs manager Ben Hart would not comment on the specifics but said: ''The AFLPA has an interest in ensuring its members have as much information as possible about how the current rules are being applied.''

So, no, not really..

battye
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:The AFL Players' Association is monitoring the case. Public affairs manager Ben Hart would not comment on the specifics but said: ''The AFLPA has an interest in ensuring its members have as much information as possible about how the current rules are being applied.''

So, no, not really..
It's pathetic really :x

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I was thinking exactly the same thing, battye.

It seems as though they have sat on their hands the whole time.

What is it that the Players Association actually does anyway? Do they serve any purpose?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
AlpineStars
Club Player

They collect fee's from players. Thats it really.

Wake me up when September ends.
missgez
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:What is it that the Players Association actually does anyway? Do they serve any purpose?
It's purpose is to provide a paycheck for retired footballers who can't get a job in the media :lol:

AlpineStars
Club Player

info@aflpa.com.au

You could ask them if they are going to help Bakes?

Wake me up when September ends.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:The AFL Players' Association is monitoring the case. Public affairs manager Ben Hart would not comment on the specifics but said: ''The AFLPA has an interest in ensuring its members have as much information as possible about how the current rules are being applied.''

So, no, not really..
So the rules tell everyone that a strike is only a strike if it is done with mor force than what Chris Judd used on Pavlich.

Right?

So Baker goes out, and based on the rules that we've all been told only a week earlier, plays the game within those rules - yet cops 12 weeks.

I'd be suing the AFL if I was him.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

it's funny, you look at the players' association in say the american sports and it's almost as thought they call the shots.

these guys just seem like a non-entity. they had a perfect opportunity to prove themselves as something to protect the rights and interests of the players.

now they have basically pussed out completely.

SHAME ON LAME!

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

The AFLPA are conspicuous by offering no statement.

They could have at the very least, commented on the absence of umpiring control in what Ross Lyon described as a "15 minute" period when most of the incidents occurred.

The umpires owe the players a duty of care and at least award a free kick or some kind of penalty if they can see what is going on. Umpire no 8, stood right in front of Johnson and Baker and did nothing. Maybe if the umpires stepped in, neither player would be suspended or Bakes at the worst, would have got far less of a suspension.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we should delist Baker and claim it was his lengthy suspension that forced our hand...then they'd jump...to fund legal proceedings against us. :roll:

battye
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Maybe we should delist Baker and claim it was his lengthy suspension that forced our hand...then they'd jump...to fund legal proceedings against us. :roll:
Sadly, there is probably a bit of truth in that :(

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Maybe if the umpires stepped in, neither player would be suspended or Bakes at the worst, would have got far less of a suspension.
What is Baker to think?

Last week Judd breaks open a guys face and the footy world is publicly told that it wasn't a strike because it wasn't forceful enough.

Friday night, he is niggling Johnson, clearly within the rules as outlined by the MRP only a week earlier - and further confirmed by the umpire watching it and not even paying a free kick against him.

At what point is he to think that he's doing anything illegal?

I'd take them to court if I was him and argue that they simply cannot penalise him for rules that appear to be made up or at the very least - changed dramatically after the event.

Halo
Club Player

The AFLPA were quick to stick there nose in when the Lovett thing happened but don't seem to worried about what has happened to Bakes !!!

GoTheTorp
Club Player

Halo wrote:The AFLPA were quick to stick there nose in when the Lovett thing happened but don't seem to worried about what has happened to Bakes !!!
Look before you leap, they are already looking at different aspects of the Bakes case that they are not happy with. What will come of it Farknose?

older saint
SS Life Member

Must remember there are 2 sources they get funds from players and the AFL. As clearly the AFL was out to get Baker for the hand hitting the AFLPA have to be careful of the hand that feeds them .

Lots of independent bodies appointed or financed by the AFL?

At least they chould have commented about the slur on the character made by the lab rat ( lawyer) for the AFL

GoTheTorp
Club Player

older saint wrote:Must remember there are 2 sources they get funds from players and the AFL. As clearly the AFL was out to get Baker for the hand hitting the AFLPA have to be careful of the hand that feeds them .

Lots of independent bodies appointed or financed by the AFL?

At least they chould have commented about the slur on the character made by the lab rat ( lawyer) for the AFL
They have commented on it and said it wasnt good and were looking at the lawyers remarks, how far they run with it? probably not far.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

They are dogs and so is Chris Dudd>

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The AFLPA are conspicuous by offering no statement
No the lack of comment is typical of a meaningless association.

Membership must only cost $5 per year.

What do they get? A quarterly newsletter?

Bakes wouldn't give a rats.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

AFLPA are pathetic. I remember during 2001 GF, Brendan Gale gave this tokenistic 9/11 tribute to the victims on behalf of ALFPA. It was embarrassing.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I sent the AFLPA an email this arvo, voicing my displeasure at their lack of support in relation to Steven Baker. Especially Andrew Tinney's taking advantage of the position he was in during his tribunal hearing, and insulting his character.

Pleased to hear that they have said something in support of Baker tonight, though I am yet to see anything official anywhere?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:AFLPA are pathetic. I remember during 2001 GF, Brendan Gale gave this tokenistic 9/11 tribute to the victims on behalf of ALFPA. It was embarrassing.
Brendan Gale.....now theres an embarrassment....cant keep a straight face when I hear this cartoon character lawyer talk......the look on his face appears still to be "frk I cant believe I passed Law school....." :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

now atleast making a statement about something- not the weeks
but the Tinney comment
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... 0-zmso.htm
ST KILDA'S Steven Baker was demeaned at his AFL tribunal hearing by personal character references that the AFL Players' Association has condemned as inappropriate and irrelevant to his case.

References to manliness and bravery made by the AFL's legal counsel, Andrew Tinney, SC, raised the eyebrows of AFLPA boss Matt Finnis at Tuesday night's hearing, and yesterday he and AFLPA president Brett Burton issued their own criticism.

''Comments that go to the character of a player are unhelpful and unnecessary in a tribunal setting which is there to deal with the on-field behaviour of a player, and whether or not that violates rules,'' said Finnis, who attended Baker's hearing

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The AFL funds the AFLPA to the tune of $12 Mill pa to run its programs. The AFLPA isn't about to bite the hand that feeds it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

St Michele
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:The AFLPA are conspicuous by offering no statement.

They could have at the very least, commented on the absence of umpiring control in what Ross Lyon described as a "15 minute" period when most of the incidents occurred.

The umpires owe the players a duty of care and at least award a free kick or some kind of penalty if they can see what is going on. Umpire no 8, stood right in front of Johnson and Baker and did nothing. Maybe if the umpires stepped in, neither player would be suspended or Bakes at the worst, would have got far less of a suspension.
Or wouldn't have ended up with a smack in the head.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!