Dawson's game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Why did we go in so tall today, when our coach is all about structures?
Dawson in for Kosi does not fit the structures when Pattison has come in for Bakes.
I reckon he was playing a practice game for Zac and Zac blew it with his week effort at the end of the first quarter. I don't know what his stats were, but I would think most of them were in junk time at the end of the quarters.
It's not really about stats for Zac, it's about how many goals his man kicked.
Who was his man and how many did he kick?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Why did we go in so tall today, when our coach is all about structures?
Dawson in for Kosi does not fit the structures when Pattison has come in for Bakes.
I reckon he was playing a practice game for Zac and Zac blew it with his week effort at the end of the first quarter. I don't know what his stats were, but I would think most of them were in junk time at the end of the quarters.
Exactly, Max's stats were always low.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Exactly, Max's stats were always low.
But Max contested the ball.

saint tezza
Club Player

Took a couple of contested marks .

Made a silly mistake on the goal line with his lack of urgency.

A silly free kick on the half forward flank for melbourne with his interference with a demon forward with the ball coming in.

And a lot of junk posessions.

All in all another ordinary game against extremely ordinary opposition.

There is no doubt the defence looked better last week without him but the whole team looked better last week .

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Whenever Zac is in i think it makes our backline look far less menacing and far more vunerable. The kid needs to bulk up big time.

I really dont think there is a place there for him in our best side what with gram, kosi, rooey, baker etc all missing from the weekends game.

best of luck to him but i think he needs more time at sandy

#1 Ryder fan
older saint
SS Life Member

Dawson cannot be judged on stats, that is not how he plays.

We will need him come finals against teams withbigger forward lines - Collingwood now playing with Dawes, Cloke and Jolly. Geelong Mooney , Pods, and Hawkins( Ottens), Hawthorn ( Buddy, Roughhead, ).

Although he looks small he can play on stronger forwards who are tall. This releases Fisher and Gwilt to be more attacking.

He needs games and this provides options latter in the season.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still looks well down on confidence IMO

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Thought he was alright. Serviceable.

Better than many are making out.

No doubt, though, he now sit's 7th or even 8th in the race for a place in our best back six.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintbob
SS Life Member

No where near being in our best 22, would've to get injuries to 3 or 4 players before being consider again.

Will definitely make way for Kosi and Roo this week, along with Pattison.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dawson's game

Finna wrote:
battye wrote:What did everyone think about his game?

A few ordinary efforts (like letting the goal run through), but he seemed okay overall. If Riewoldt and Kosi are good for next week I'm not sure Dawson has done enough to keep his spot though. Pattison and Dawson seem the likely outs, but it could well be Stanley if RL doesn't want to omit Dawson.
Was ok I thought but to be honest I thought our backline looked its best last week without Dawson in the side. I dont know if its about Dawson himself or the balance and dimension the backline takes with Dawson out of the team.

Personally I like (no particular order) Blake, Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster, Gwilt and Geary then Raph and Baker when available. Unless for a specific matchup I have all of these guys ahead of Dawson.

Dawson is good for depth. If he can find last years form then he's in but otherwise he needs to earn his spot back for mine.
The problem with having to "earn your spot back" is that means Sandringham.
The truth is that Sandringham and the rest of the VFL are so much worse than the AFL that it is hard to put in an AFL performance there.
An outstanding performance in the VFL does not translate to a good AFL performance and equally a bad VFL performances do not mean a player will paly badly in trhe AFL.

It is so hard to fly like an eagle when you are surrouded by turkeys.
By that I mean missing targets and ball butchering.
A good lead is not rewarded because the ball never hits its target.
A player who can hit a target never gets the chance through lack of targets.
In the VFL they have to win their own ball because the team work so often breaks down, then in the AFL you have to play a role for team.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Despite all the criticism of Zac's backline play including mine, I still think he would be more effective as a tall forward than any of McEvoy, Stanley or Pattison.
That is not saying he is good, just better than the beginners.

With Riewoldt and Koschitzke out he would be my third choice for the two tall forward positions if he is expelled from the backline.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
noob
Club Player

As someone said early we actually do play better without him. Probably because its more attacking defence. In the next couple of weeks we'll definitely see if he has improved against better opposition but also teams with better forward lines.

SaintTom
Club Player

Zac simply doesn't add enough to the team to be a necessary inclusion. It's not that his stats were terrible (although that goal that he let through was lack of effort really) it's that our back line is stronger without him. The strongest back line I've seen was against the Cats, and while the weather helped it, the only other person I'd squeeze in is Raph. Seeing is Bakes is out, I'd say keep Dempster in to play Bakes' role, but bring Raph in (when fit) instead of Dawson. Just adds more to the side, and unfortunately for Dawson, he has been given a lot of this season to get his confidence up and hasn't done so. I don't know how many chances you can be given.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

When recalling how we weren't stretched for height by the Cats, I think it worth remembering that we played the Cats in weather that wasn't exactly conducive to the big marking guys.

Not to belittle the incredible effort and result... but I wouldn't sayf that based on that game we won't be able to get some better results with Dawson than without.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Admittedly we zone a lot but Zac's m,ain opponent was Green who had 26 disposals, 9 marks and 2.0

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bozza1980
Club Player

For what it's worth I thought he was ok.

In what is a good sign for our club with a full list, that performance may not be enough for him to retain his spot.

That said, first game back, I don't think he looked as lost as he did prior to his injury. Did a couple of really good things and a couple bad.

Serviceable.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Thought he was ok, took some good marks but made a few mistakes.
He will be better with games under his belt but not sure if he would be in the team if Bakes was available.

I love this club
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc wrote:Admittedly we zone a lot but Zac's m,ain opponent was Green who had 26 disposals, 9 marks and 2.0
So you think we selected Zac to cover the midfield? Green had 4 clearances along the way to compliment 3 inside 50s. He also laid 6 tackles. While he lines up at Full Forward at times, so did Nick Dal Santo...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
spert
Saintsational Legend

Poor old Zac, he is so bad that he gets a game in the team sitting equal top of the ladder. I saw a lot of lazy efforts from some of our better players on Sunday when we should have clobbered Melbourne by double the margin.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Admittedly we zone a lot but Zac's m,ain opponent was Green who had 26 disposals, 9 marks and 2.0
So you think we selected Zac to cover the midfield? Green had 4 clearances along the way to compliment 3 inside 50s. He also laid 6 tackles. While he lines up at Full Forward at times, so did Nick Dal Santo...
OK I'll re-phrase that.

Zac wasn't really on anyone the whole day, just part of our defensive zone.

When Green drifted forward Zac took him and Green kicked 2.0

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote:
Was ok I thought but to be honest I thought our backline looked its best last week without Dawson in the side. I dont know if its about Dawson himself or the balance and dimension the backline takes with Dawson out of the team.

Personally I like (no particular order) Blake, Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster, Gwilt and Geary then Raph and Baker when available. Unless for a specific matchup I have all of these guys ahead of Dawson.

Dawson is good for depth. If he can find last years form then he's in but otherwise he needs to earn his spot back for mine.

no spot for grammie???

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Finna wrote:

no spot for grammie???
Mini is on thin ice again IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: The problem with having to "earn your spot back" is that means Sandringham.
The truth is that Sandringham and the rest of the VFL are so much worse than the AFL that it is hard to put in an AFL performance there.
An outstanding performance in the VFL does not translate to a good AFL performance and equally a bad VFL performances do not mean a player will paly badly in trhe AFL.

It is so hard to fly like an eagle when you are surrouded by turkeys.
By that I mean missing targets and ball butchering.
A good lead is not rewarded because the ball never hits its target.
A player who can hit a target never gets the chance through lack of targets.
In the VFL they have to win their own ball because the team work so often breaks down, then in the AFL you have to play a role for team.
I agree wholeheartedly with you. It was the same in the old days of the reserves. Good players go where the ball should go. In the reserves or in crap teams the ball more often than not doesn't go where it should go.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
stinger wrote:
Finna wrote:

no spot for grammie???
Mini is on thin ice again IMO
Mini's been on thin ice for half the season, must be warming Ross' bed.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Here we go again.
We all question the likes of Dawson, Geary and Dempster yet we welcome back a questionable entity like Kosi, who we really didn't miss last game.
Bring him back by all means, but let's not write up the normal Kosi is crap post this time next week.
Think about the GF in 2009. The only down side to that team is King (who we won't see again ) and Kosi who has had a very ordinary year despite all the hype on this forum. He has had a s*** year IMO and doesn't deserve his place in this team.
Having said this I believe in the coaching team and if they want this lost cause in the team, for what ever reason , I will bow to their better judgment.
My point?
Stop bagging the likes of Geary, Dempster, Dawson, Stanley, Pattison and others and let Kosi sail through the year on the premise of a player who does little else than bust up the odd pack or two.
Roo at CHF, Stanley at FF and Kosi in the twos' until the passion and intensity comes back.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire