Collingwood, have they improved in 2010?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood, have they improved in 2010?

Everyone loves a win against Collingwood, but I do believe this game will be a big test for us.

2010 Season Averages Per Game, Collingwood v Saints.

107 Points For 87
81 Points Against 68
382 Disposals 399
137 Contested Possessions 128
237 Uncontested Possessions 268
59 Inside 50s 50
46 Inside 50s Against 44

I still believe we'll win, but it's worth noting that they seem to have improved considerably.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Collingwood, have they improved in 2010?

They are a good side and earning respect. Certainly wouldn't be taking them lightly.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Yes, they've improved considerably.

They should have beaten us earlier this year but failed to finish.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

They should have beaten us earlier this year but failed to finish
They didn't kick a goal in the second half! That's not failing to finish, it's failing to restart.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Despite the numbers, I reckon any improvement's marginal. They still struggle against the best, they've got a tendency to drop games they shouldn't, they still poke around the boundaries, they still struggle for a forward target, they still rely on Swan to get 30 plus and Shaw to run around free as a bird, they still have enigmatic players that go missing (on that Cloke's been playing consistently well - if Davis comes in for him it's a massive win for us.)

We haven't yet hit our straps, we've 'De-Roo-centricised' (how's that for a word...), our midfield squadron has gone from good to excellent and we're getting plenty this year from guys who were neither here nor there last year.

Yes, this game will be a test. Yes, we may even lose it. Hell, we may even open a can of 'no scoring for you' fury on their filthy maggot scum arses. Who knows?

But we beat Geelong this time last year. Remember?

No more than a week's worth of bragging rights rests on this one.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:We haven't yet hit our straps, we've 'De-Roo-centricised' (how's that for a word...), our midfield squadron has gone from good to excellent and we're getting plenty this year from guys who were neither here nor there last year.
That's right, and no better time for them to beat us than this week, provided we don't lose half our team to injury between now and the finals (should we meet them).

I reckon their work ethic has picked up, and they're harder at it than last year, it has made a big difference. However, I still think their last half against us is the most telling...they barely managed a possession without being run down by 2 Saints players. That's our bag, and not many clubs can dance around it.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yes

Joffa 5
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Hell, we may even open a can of 'no scoring for you' fury on their filthy maggot scum arses. Who knows?
:lol: :lol:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I would love a 4-5 goal win this week. It'll get em thinking that they can NEVER beat us.

In answer to the O.P. yes they have improved in my opinion. I've watched them live a few times this year. I reckon Pendlebury is playing as well as ever, Swan is the same, Thomas is playing the best he ever has. Blair adds something to their midfield. Didak is always dangerous. Their backline looks very solid and despite a few stuff ups early last week I reckon it has all the ingredients you want in the back half. Very solid defensively with Presti and some great attacking run with Harry and Shaw. They also will have added marking power with Maxwell coming back.

Ironically I reckon their fwd line is their achilles, whereas our backline is our strength. Battle of the mids will be good but I reckon we have the edge and with BJ back, Roo and Gram getting better we'll be able to get over them.

We need to keep improving b/c they are closing the gap I reckon.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think they suck the balls of a Donkey.

Win this one and they officially become our bitch.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
goodie
Club Player

Re: Collingwood, have they improved in 2010?

bigcarl wrote:They are a good side and earning respect. Certainly wouldn't be taking them lightly.
Two out of three ain't bad. No-one respects Collingwood

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

They've absolutely improved.

I believe the book on them is the same as 12 months ago, however I believe it's far harder to implement.

Collingwood is beaten when you play keep-away. Plenty of kick-to-kick along half back (as much as some fans will hate it) prevents their run from getting involved. Structured buildup (as much as many fans will hate it) to prevent their rebound, and make them over-commit. Look at the disposal numbers from the Pies losses and it's apparent that Collingwood doesn't like this gamestyle. It left them adrift in 2 finals in '09, and has resulted in their 3 losses in 2010.

Further underlining this are the areas in which Collingwood has clearly improved. Luke Ball specifically works to get the ball moving forward from stoppages. Jolly rucks and pushes forward to assist with this flow.

They've also put a lot of work into their forward press.

Their finesse game still has a lot of wrinkles. While they've got some very good kicks, they've also got some awful ones. They blaze away with a lot of shots from low percentage areas, exacerbating accuracy issues. They can get stuck against structures.

Are they a contender? Absolutely.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Face
Club Player

Meh.

Like us, if the don't improve their September results, they won't have improved.

Take their best H&A form from 2010 and it's no better than their best from 2009 or 2008.

Not even sure if what Ball & Jolly have added makes up for what they've lost in the decline of others. They look better prepared for finals with their additions and the loss of fairyfloss like Fraser, Medhurst, etc.

Still, unless they go futher into Spetember it's all p1ss and wind

Furphy
Club Player

They will make the top four courtesy of (yet another) dream "draw", make it to the prelim, then be shown up for what they are

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:They will make the top four courtesy of (yet another) dream "draw", make it to the prelim, then be shown up for what they are
The dream draw that sees them play the best 3 sides twice.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

it's not just ability...it's what's between the ears as well......would port have given us a 6-7 goal drubbing in the 1srt quarter last week.?......i seriously doubt it.....mentally weak are the filth.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Furphy wrote:They will make the top four courtesy of (yet another) dream "draw", make it to the prelim, then be shown up for what they are

so what....?

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
No, they are uncontrollable variables. Furphy's talking about the dream draw that sees them barely leave home, have nice comfy breaks and have to endure the hardship of endless custom made block-busters. An absolute joke, they'd have to be the worst team in history not to make the finals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:it;s not just ability...it's what's between the ears as well......would port have given us a 6-7 goal drubbing in the 1srt quarter last week.......i seriously doubt it.....mentally weak are the filth.....
I dont understand that. Would Carlton have beaten the Pies by 60 points. Things happen during games and also there was a 6 goal breeze. That may have something to do with it.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
I'd like to travel 4 times a year and have our last 7 at our home ground too.

'Because we've got unfinished business'
....................Official Saintsational Banner Designer....................
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Saints wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I'd like to play 6 of the bottom 8 in the last 6 weeks. Travelling is overated if the sides you play are poor. We play one of the top 3 twice and yes I know we have played Freo twice but I still rate then the 5th best side.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Moorabbin Saints wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I'd like to play 6 of the bottom 8 in the last 6 weeks. Travelling is overated if the sides you play are poor. We play one of the top 3 twice and yes I know we have played Freo twice but I still rate then the 5th best side.
Oops! I forgot sides positions on the ladder ARE controlled variables...much like the AFL's decision that North could do with a short break heading into the finals (as raised on FC last night). My bad. Continue.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
the dream draw that sees them travel less than any other team every season and the dream draw that sees them play seven consecutive matches at the MCG to lead into the finals.

another example of the governing body's lack of integrity.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Moorabbin Saints wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
What about the fact Collingwood have considerably less short breaks, that is more telling than where or who IMO.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's face it, their supporters intelligence never seems to improve.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.