Playing for top spot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I want to win this week but it makes no difference at all if you are in the top four if all sides are Victorian which is looking more likely by the week. I dont get the fascination with top spot. I thought we may have learnt from last year it means Jack. Lets win today because it is good for confidence, not because we go to the top of the ladder.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I want to win this week but it makes no difference at all if you are in the top four if all sides are Victorian which is looking more likely by the week. I dont get the fascination with top spot. I thought we may have learnt from last year it means Jack. Lets win today because it is good for confidence, not because we go to the top of the ladder.
May well be an all Vic top 4,but..........

If the Shockers can cling on to 4th.........I wouldn't mind us finishing top.

Has to be the preferred option week 1 .

Therefore we need to be on top at end R22 to take that advantage if it eventuates.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I want to win this week but it makes no difference at all if you are in the top four if all sides are Victorian which is looking more likely by the week. I dont get the fascination with top spot. I thought we may have learnt from last year it means Jack. Lets win today because it is good for confidence, not because we go to the top of the ladder.

Yes but then you get the unpreferred option week 3. And after experiencing the prelim last year and the pain during the game i think I would rather Freo in the prelim in both get that far.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:

Yes but then you get the unpreferred option week 3. And after experiencing the prelim last year and the pain during the game i think I would rather Freo in the prelim in both get that far.

If we win week 1, we then play a Pre-Final in week 3 against a team that has played 2 finals straight while we have had a rest week 2.

Freo in Melb week 1 would have to be the best way of getting this result.

Top spot is very important IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:

If we win week 1, we then play a Pre-Final in week 3 against a team that has played 2 finals straight while we have had a rest week 2.

I could also say the best way to get to the GF is to meet Freo in week 3 rather than maybe the Dogs or even worse Geelong. The only reason i want to finish top 2 is if Geelong also do. i dont want to play them before the GF because no matter how they are going now they still will be the hardest to beat in the finals.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Its as much about Collingwood NOT being on top, even for one week :roll:

Their insistance that it points to them claiming the Cup, no matter now misguided, would be just too sickening

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
35...LEGEND
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:

I could also say the best way to get to the GF is to meet Freo in week 3 rather than maybe the Dogs or even worse Geelong. The only reason i want to finish top 2 is if Geelong also do. i dont want to play them before the GF because no matter how they are going now they still will be the hardest to beat in the finals.

To be the best you need to beat the best and you usually face them in the last 2 games of the year.(top 4 usually play each other in Pre-finals).

If we can get a week off to freshen up before the 2 most demanding games of the year,I want it.

Us top.....Freo 4th .....for me.

clarkie54
Club Player

I'm with plugger. Ideally play the pies in week 1,get the week off and play freo in a prelim. Much easier game to allow us to be fresher going in to the biggest game. To get that we'd need the cats to finish first, us and the pies 2nd and 3rd and freo fourth. Don't want the dogs getting to 4th and definitely don't wanna play the cats before the GF!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Would love to meet Freo in Melbourne to get into a Granny. So finishing top isn't always a priority. Would be an easier game week 3 than week 1... either way, we just gotta win them - doesn't matter who we play we can beat anyone!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!