Hate to say it but

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Hate to say it but

We will never be able to count on Milney in big games.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
battye
Saintsational Legend

And vs Geelong a few weeks ago? Not a big game?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:And vs Geelong a few weeks ago? Not a big game?
He had a pretty average game that night as well, kicked two but did little else and was lucky to get that second one with the Hunt incident.

I love Milney but his strike rate on these big days is AWFUL

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
battye
Saintsational Legend

While Riewoldt was out, Milne had to step up to the plate with virtually no help from Kosi - and he thrived. Surely that speaks volumes more about his temperament under pressure than a game against Collingwood.

Edit: and the delivery inside 50 today was awful, with no help from others he had to create his own opportunities which is what he did with the receive from Pattison.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:While Riewoldt was out, Milne had to step up to the plate with virtually no help from Kosi - and he thrived. Surely that speaks volumes more about his temperament under pressure than a game against Collingwood.

Edit: and the delivery inside 50 today was awful, with no help from others he had to create his own opportunities which is what he did with the receive from Pattison.
Fair point, perhaps I have over-reacted but it was the kind of Milne performance that I have seen too many times.

bozza1980
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
He had a pretty average game that night as well, kicked two but did little else and was lucky to get that second one with the Hunt incident.

Must have been a different bloke who cracked the freo game open at subi.

The thing with small forwards is they need opportunities if side gets smacked it's hard for them to do much.

I think there are a few other blokes we should be potting before we pot Milne.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

Must have been a different bloke who cracked the freo game open at subi.

The thing with small forwards is they need opportunities if side gets smacked it's hard for them to do much.

I think there are a few other blokes we should be potting before we pot Milne.
yep.......and it is only out of respect to their reputations that i don't name them.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kalsaint
Club Player

Re: Hate to say it but

dcstkfc wrote:We will never be able to count on Milney in big games.
I dont think any team counts on their small forwards like we seem to do.

Milney didnt get much help today from poor forward disposals. Kosi and Nick were also experienceing similar problems.

Milney is the focus of a key defender every week now and needs the other fringe players to assist him keep the forward pressure. This hasnt happened today.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
I dont think any team counts on their small forwards like we seem to do.

Milney didnt get much help today from poor forward disposals. Kosi and Nick were also experienceing similar problems.

Milney is the focus of a key defender every week now and needs the other fringe players to assist him keep the forward pressure. This hasnt happened today.
Good point

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Talk about eating our own... Collingwood has nothing on this place...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Geez it's easy to blame our fwds on days like today isn't it? We hardly got it in there, and when we did, well, you had to be bloody good to make something of it.

We were SMASHED through the midfield. Blokes like Gram, Geary, and Ray gave us NOTHING.

Let's face it, all over the ground we couldn't handle their pressure. Fwd, back and Mid. Blaming or picking out one bloke who has been absolutely sensational for us all year is unbelievably harsh.

Shocking game all round. Perhaps the game we had to have I reckon. WE won't be that off next time (if there is a next time)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Thats what Grant Thomas says....continuously...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:Geez it's easy to blame our fwds on days like today isn't it? We hardly got it in there, and when we did, well, you had to be bloody good to make something of it.

We were SMASHED through the midfield. Blokes like Gram, Geary, and Ray gave us NOTHING.

Let's face it, all over the ground we couldn't handle their pressure. Fwd, back and Mid. Blaming or picking out one bloke who has been absolutely sensational for us all year is unbelievably harsh.

Shocking game all round. Perhaps the game we had to have I reckon. WE won't be that off next time (if there is a next time)
Shocking game, but not so much to do with their pressure. We were in 3rd gear all night and never stepped it up to 2nd gear, let alone first. It wasn't one player, it was the entire team bar a 2-3.

What made me leave the game with not much concern was the fact that we weren't 'outplayed', we were just beaten by a team on the day that was playing at 100%. We were playing at 50% capacity at best. Colingwood capitalised on that. Our misfortune was their good luck. To blame Milne is ridiculous! We had an absolute Barry Crocker. End of story.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

This thread is as bad as the pies are no good thread. Milney has been great all year in important and unimportant games. He is a froward pocket so relies on us being good in the midfield. we were beaten there today so Milney suffers. maybe we should drop him come the first final even if has been best for the previous 3 games as he is no good in the finals. Maybe he can be replaced by our other finals champions who currently arent playing.

Thompson4
Club Player

battye wrote:While Riewoldt was out, Milne had to step up to the plate with virtually no help from Kosi - and he thrived. Surely that speaks volumes more about his temperament under pressure than a game against Collingwood.

Isnt that just making excuses? He's been tops this year but the record still stands..it can't be denied.

Andrew Thompson - The most underrated player in the AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thought Milney was one of the few that had a real crack today.

Didn't do a lot but at least he presented and took the game on

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

If Milne is the only player you want to flog than screw you. He has held the forward line together while the skipper has been out.
He certainly wasn't the worst today and is in my opinion the best small forward in the competition.
Look elsewhere for your scapegoats, because there are plenty.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
Griggsy
SS Life Member

He didn't get the opportunity to shine being up the ground, the game was played in the Pies half and Roo and Milne were the only 2 players not to go back with the ball. If Ross moved him into the midfield we may have seen more of him.