Saints / hawks double protest !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Saints / hawks double protest !

I reckon both sides should complain to the afl tonight over
1 the ice skating rink they had to play on and
2 the umpiring,
so many bad decisions paid both ways tonight, i think the umps were using a ouija board to make many of them , eg. in the last quarter roughhead got a free from blake for a very very soft hold ,hawks got advantage and osbourne kicked easy goal, no one seemed to know what for, 2 minutes later hodge gets smacked in the head 35 out from goal , no free was paid,
for some reason tonight the umpires wanted to be the stars of the show !

AlpineStars
Club Player

I reckon no exageration 30 to 40 times players slipped over.

Wake me up when September ends.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

It's an old addage in footy, you should be able to walk away from a game not knowing who the umpires are, as it is an indication that they've done a good job.

Not tonight, in some ways it was even worse than last week.

How many times did they indicate a free kick go one way, and then pointed in the other direction because they were wrong with their first instructions to the players. Not good enough.

There was a moment in the second quarter when the ball was in the forward pocket and it looked like no-one knew who was in control, least of all the players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AlpineStars wrote:I reckon no exageration 30 to 40 times players slipped over.
Yep the ground was slippery but there isnt much you can do.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Apart from forfeit.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Apart from forfeit.
Or play netball. By agreement.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saint3d
Club Player

It's not the surface, it's the players. Surely we see the same kind of thing at other grounds, right?

But seriously there were some baffling decisions. Gilbert was tackled with his back to the umpire who couldn't possibly see whether he disposed of it and paid holding the ball after he got his boot to it.

Fisher kicked it out on the full but Dal Santo was pushed in the back as it went over the line. The umpire signalled push in the back and paid it against Dal!

A number of times Hawthorn players were awarded free kicks for high tackles by driving themselves head first into their opponents. But when Milne does it he's holding the ball.

I could go on...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:It's not the surface, it's the players. Surely we see the same kind of thing at other grounds, right?

But seriously there were some baffling decisions. Gilbert was tackled with his back to the umpire who couldn't possibly see whether he disposed of it and paid holding the ball after he got his boot to it.

Fisher kicked it out on the full but Dal Santo was pushed in the back as it went over the line. The umpire signalled push in the back and paid it against Dal!

A number of times Hawthorn players were awarded free kicks for high tackles by driving themselves head first into their opponents. But when Milne does it he's holding the ball.

I could go on...
Agree on all counts. The Hawk headbutt to the midriff was a running gag in my house tonight...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that RL came out in support of the surface after the game. But I think the umpiring was pretty ordinary last night.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints / hawks double protest !

mr six o'clock wrote:in the last quarter roughhead got a free from blake for a very very soft hold ,hawks got advantage and osbourne kicked easy goal, no one seemed to know what for...
the free didn't look like it was there. but when you looked at the replay, osborne crumbed it really well anyway and gilbert fell over chasing him, so regardless of the decision he would have been in ten metres of space and kicked an easy goal.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Interesting that RL came out in support of the surface after the game. But I think the umpiring was pretty ordinary last night.
Personally I think he was making a statement about life inside the fabled bubble - one that is impervious to uncontrollable variables...

Riewoldt certainly had a bit of a sledge at the ground post match.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

saint3d wrote:It's not the surface, it's the players. Surely we see the same kind of thing at other grounds, right?

I could go on...
Useless hack's guessing again. :evil: ...it's f$%#ing wrong.

Last night was just more of the garbage that's been going on all year.

Big game...you would have thought they'd umpire accordingly (put the whistle away till a free is earnt )...........pffft............laughable shiit again.

Surface is a disgrace and the umpiring is worse.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

The surface is a disgrace and probably unsafe.

However, the skills showed by both teams were remarkable. Players from both teams although slipping over alot were athletic enough to jump straight up again. A lot of other teams when they have been slipping have been staying down but the endeavour of both teams last night and the hunger for the ball saw them slip and jump straight back up almost in the same movement.

Very athletic

matrix
Saintsational Legend

the ground isnt slippery plugg

its crap because it looks like the top two inches is just laying over dirt like newly laid out pre cut turf

DISGRACE

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

saint3d wrote:
It's not the surface, it's the players. Surely we see the same kind of thing at other grounds, right?

To be honest I dont reckon its any worse than the Gabba in regards to players slipping

St Michele
Club Player

Re: Saints / hawks double protest !

mr six o'clock wrote:I reckon both sides should complain to the afl tonight over
1 the ice skating rink they had to play on and
2 the umpiring,
so many bad decisions paid both ways tonight, i think the umps were using a ouija board to make many of them , eg. in the last quarter roughhead got a free from blake for a very very soft hold ,hawks got advantage and osbourne kicked easy goal, no one seemed to know what for, 2 minutes later hodge gets smacked in the head 35 out from goal , no free was paid,
for some reason tonight the umpires wanted to be the stars of the show !
The gorund was disgeaceful and I couldn;t beleive the times the umpires gave a free and pointed the wrong direction and then went oops and changed it meaning players we all out of position.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!