McQualter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AlpineStars
Club Player

McQualter

I have been against people calling for his axing but he put in a couple of soft efforts tonight. Maybe had an off night but seems a bit out of sorts I think back to Eddys attack on the man and ball in the Freo game and prefer him (if fit).

Wake me up when September ends.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I've also been a supporter of Mini but he's given us nothing since the Geelong game. Don't think Eddy is the answer though. It would be good to get Raph back but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth, Armo isn't having any luck and Smith/Heyne aren't quite demanding a spot. Geary would be the likely inclusion though I'd like to see what Lynch could offer as the third forward option as well.

saint3d
Club Player

Whatever he does to earn his spot it must be when he's not near the ball, otherwise we might have figured out what it is.

saintkid
Club Player

Re: Mcqualter

AlpineStars wrote:I have been against people calling for his axing but he put in a couple of soft efforts tonight. Maybe had an off night but seems a bit out of sorts I think back to Eddys attack on the man and ball in the Freo game and prefer him (if fit).
He has not played well at all this year, plenty of soft efforts, often clumsy and hesitant near goal. To me he has been a big disappointment from the way he was playing last year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:Whatever he does to earn his spot it must be when he's not near the ball, otherwise we might have figured out what it is.
If our team was the Big Brother house, Gretel Killeen would be saying, "it's time leave, Andrew McQualter"

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He's got to go, at least for now. Done little offensively all year, and now his defensive efforts are dwindling- just 3 tackles overall in the last two weeks.

How's Armo? Him or Geary are better options, not sure about Eddy though.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
doggerel
Club Player

I am with you guys. Been happy to stick with him till now. A couple of very, very average efforts in the first quarter tonight. I would support the inclusion of Geary ahead of him for next week. Not that Geary is great defensively, but McQ has tailed off in that dept. And Geary has more going for him offensively.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Not good enough I'm afraid.

6 disposals @ 100% efficiency.

Kosi had six touches but kicked three goals....also presented. Well.

Some others were down on touches. Steven, Mac, Gilbert, Milne & Peake.

We had some players down, that is for sure.

Goddard got thirty touches which is surprising. He is in a form slump imo...along with Gilbert.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintWodonga
Club Player

IMO should have been out weeks ago, has not done enough.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
StPeter
Club Player

Seems to one of Ross Lyon's favourites.

He has done little all year but still seems to be an automatic selection.

And certainly Eddy is not the answer. Geary is stiff to be out.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'd question whether Geary would do much better than McQualter in the forward line. He doesn't get a lot of contested footy and getting possessions in the forward line is a tough task - especially when you've got Roo, Kosi, Milne and sometimes Schneider around.

Mini might benefit from a week of getting some touch in the VFL, but when he comes back in, he'll come back to the same role with the same scarce amount of ball to be had. I don't see any particular reason to make a change other than his stats are down, which is true of our entire attack (Schneider excepted).

Yeah nah pleasing positive
kalsaint
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:I'd question whether Geary would do much better than McQualter in the forward line. He doesn't get a lot of contested footy and getting possessions in the forward line is a tough task - especially when you've got Roo, Kosi, Milne and sometimes Schneider around.

Mini might benefit from a week of getting some touch in the VFL, but when he comes back in, he'll come back to the same role with the same scarce amount of ball to be had. I don't see any particular reason to make a change other than his stats are down, which is true of our entire attack (Schneider excepted).
I am also not a huge fan of Geary as he gets caught a lot but his effort is generally there. I love(d) Mini's team minded style last year but he hasnt maintained it. Not providing forward options and is no longer applying more than 2 tackles a game. This is inexcusable for fringe player and he must go back a level to give someone else a go.

The replacement must be a midielder preferably an insider, we suffer here in our rotations. Jack Stevens has taken the offensive role Mini previously played.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I like Mini, but for every good game he has played this year, he's followed it up with three or four poor ones.

Has only shown fleeting glimpses of his 09 form, so time for a game in the VFL. We need his 09 form for finals.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Although armo is injured, I'm a big fan of his for McQ position and role. Armo can kick a goal and is a very good tackler.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:I like Mini, but for every good game he has played this year, he's followed it up with three or four poor ones.
yeah, he was good four weeks ago against geelong, 23 touches, 7 marks, 2 goal assists, 3 tackles.

since then, in four games, he's had in total:

36 disposals
9 marks
15 tackles
3 inside 50s
1 goal assist
1 goal
1 behind

in the last two games:

16 disposals
5 marks
3 tackles
3 inside 50s
1 goal assist
0 goals
1 behind

just been far too anonymous. i'm not sure if he's going to pick up much form in the vfl, but at this point it has to be worth a try.

unfortunately we're short of players for his position. aker? i could see eddy getting a game in his spot if he plays well at sandy today. armo would be worth a try if he wasn't injured. nick heyne could definitely be worth a shot, wouldn't mind seeing a little more of him.

a smokey might be t lynch in a different role across half-forward, but his tackling pressure would have to be able to stay high, and i don't know if he's that sort of player.

saintkid
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:I like Mini, but for every good game he has played this year, he's followed it up with three or four poor ones.

Has only shown fleeting glimpses of his 09 form, so time for a game in the VFL. We need his 09 form for finals.
There isn't many good games he's played this year at all. There have been a couple of isolated cameo performances when the game has been in our favour and that's all. He has not stood up once when game's been in the balance.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:There isn't many good games he's played this year at all. There have been a couple of isolated cameo performances when the game has been in our favour and that's all. He has not stood up once when game's been in the balance.
...except for against the western bulldogs in the last quarter where it was widely acknowledged that he was pivotal in us limping over the line.

Rice Paper
Club Player

Nick Heyne for me, I know Ross likes defensive pressure in the forward line but all of our small forwards know this and try to tackle.

But what the Collingwood game showed was that we don't have enough scoring options when a couple are closed down. Schnieder=very good, Milne =contributed, steven = quiet but at least scored but McQ = no contribution. Heyne has at least the ability to hit the score board when Milne and schnieder are tagged heavily.

Also every club tags Gilbert, Fisher now. We just aren't getting the run from the backline because of this.

santazzi
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:IMO should have been out weeks ago, has not done enough.
I am not sure whether it is just Mini or others aswell..........it is of concern to me that the footy is entering our forward line and then leaving it at break neck speed putting a lot of pressure on the backs....this was how things were in 06,07 to some degree in 08..........09 was great....the footy entered our forward 50 and lingered there for a while giving us opprtunities to score ...last eek was a worry in this regared and I felt last night was worse........i feel we are going back ward with regard to forward pressure and as a result our backs are getting exposed lile last night............

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gone!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:gone!
Not this week. RL is consistant. If we win, which it was as good as, and no stars are coming back then there are no changes.

noob
Club Player

didnt play saints footy last night! went in soft with some contests.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

WILL THE 2009 MINI PLEASE STAND UP!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What is the position re Raph Clarke? He is the only good player to return to this side. Although with a couple of softer games coming up it would be a good time to blood someone like Lynch.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I just wish the commentators would say his name properly. I kept wondering who this Mick Walter guy was.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.