AFL -Buddy's "natural arc" not against the rules

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Duggie
Club Player

So , this clears the way for him to invoke a 50m penalty if opposing players try to cut into his sacred arc !! :lol:

A Saint Forever!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

heard an umpire tell joey that it was his natural arc....

heard another umpire...or was it the same one...tell buddy...after the siren had gone and he was lining up for a shot...that if he deviated off a straight line he would call time and disallow any score....what the f*** is it umpires....get your act together...you are a flowering joke.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:heard an umpire tell joey that it was his natural arc....

heard another umpire...or was it the same one...tell buddy...after the siren had gone and he was lining up for a shot...that if he deviated off a straight line he would call time and disallow any score....what the f*** is it umpires....get your act together...you are a flowering joke.....
EXACTAMUNDO

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Earlier this year in a game I saw, a player was awarded a free-kick - can't remember what for - but still found himself in enough space that he could keep going.

Umpire stopped him, brought it back and clearly said, "you can't take your own advantage".

I thought this was a strange rule that I had never heard of before but at the same time I didn't doubt it because the umpire would know more than I.

From then on I've seen numerous instances where a player has taken his own advantage. In fact, it happens at least 5 times a game.

The umpire on the night just randomly made up a rule.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:

Earlier this year in a game I saw, a player was awarded a free-kick - can't remember what for - but still found himself in enough space that he could keep going.

Umpire stopped him, brought it back and clearly said, "you can't take your own advantage".

I thought this was a strange rule that I had never heard of before but at the same time I didn't doubt it because the umpire would know more than I.

From then on I've seen numerous instances where a player has taken his own advantage. In fact, it happens at least 5 times a game.

If that is exactly what he said he got it wrong. Only guessing but he may have meant you cant decide when it is and isnt advantage. Only the umpire decides that. I beleive next year it will be put onto the players to decide if they take advantage as per the NAB cup this year.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Beej wrote:

If that is exactly what he said he got it wrong. Only guessing but he may have meant you cant decide when it is and isnt advantage. Only the umpire decides that. I beleive next year it will be put onto the players to decide if they take advantage as per the NAB cup this year.
It's exactly what he said. It's been ingrained in my memory since then because I had never heard of anything like that before.

He may have meant you can't decide when it is and isn't an advantage though.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugga just wouldn't know.....the umpires make things up as they go along quite often.....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Beej wrote:

What? Did I read right...an umpire got an advantage call wrong??? Say it ain't so. Seems the Hawks got a goal from Osbourne deciding he was awarded advantage.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Beej wrote:

What? Did I read right...an umpire got an advantage call wrong??? Say it ain't so. Seems the Hawks got a goal from Osbourne deciding he was awarded advantage.
I would be 100% sure the umpire decided and 100% sure it was correct.

Badlands
Club Player

degruch wrote:What? Did I read right...an umpire got an advantage call wrong??? Say it ain't so. Seems the Hawks got a goal from Osbourne deciding he was awarded advantage.
At the risk of agreeing with something I think Plugger may have written in another thread, i didn't have too big an issue with the advantage call to Osbourne. I didn't think the free kick was there - still don't - but once the umpire went down the path of determining that it was, i don't think the whistle caught anyone off guard to the extent that they may otherwise have stopped the goal. The only way imo he doesn't kick that goal is if a free is paid against Hawthorn.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:
degruch wrote:What? Did I read right...an umpire got an advantage call wrong??? Say it ain't so. Seems the Hawks got a goal from Osbourne deciding he was awarded advantage.
At the risk of agreeing with something I think Plugger may have written in another thread, i didn't have too big an issue with the advantage call to Osbourne. I didn't think the free kick was there - still don't - but once the umpire went down the path of determining that it was, i don't think the whistle caught anyone off guard to the extent that they may otherwise have stopped the goal. The only way imo he doesn't kick that goal is if a free is paid against Hawthorn.
You can't call advantage when play has stopped.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Badlands wrote:
The only part of the play that had stopped had no influence on the next passage of play. The 2 people who did hadnt stopped and the play was continuous.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Badlands wrote:
The only part of the play that had stopped had no influence on the next passage of play. The 2 people who did hadnt stopped and the play was continuous.
Is it considered 'play' when only one person is involved? To ease your worried mind, I'll answer; no. I agree with the commentator who said "Wow! That was a BIG advantage to the Hawks". Yes, yes it was...much like natural arcs, missed decapitations of St Kilda players and stolen shots at goal.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Badlands wrote:
Is it considered 'play' when only one person is involved? To ease your worried mind, I'll answer; no. I agree with the commentator who said "Wow! That was a BIG advantage to the Hawks". Yes, yes it was...much like natural arcs, missed decapitations of St Kilda players and stolen shots at goal.
Gilbert was involved but he fell over. Isnt that to hard to understand. It seems we must be the most picked on side ever. Why anyone would watch a game live or on TV with your attitude amazes me. They are all against us. Imagine if the players thought like that. Luckily they have enough brains to be positive when going into games.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Badlands wrote:
Gilbert was involved but he fell over. Isnt that to hard to understand. It seems we must be the most picked on side ever. Why anyone would watch a game live or on TV with your attitude amazes me. They are all against us. Imagine if the players thought like that. Luckily they have enough brains to be positive when going into games.
Hey, only commenting on the obvious...I'm a very balanced football fan, as most of my opposition supporter friends can attest. Why you bother playing 'Devils Advocate' when you have no idea what you're talking about is beyond me too...why are you here? As long as you're having fun, I'm happy to keep at you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Badlands wrote:
Hey, only commenting on the obvious...I'm a very balanced football fan, as most of my opposition supporter friends can attest. Why you bother playing 'Devils Advocate' when you have no idea what you're talking about is beyond me too...why are you here? As long as you're having fun, I'm happy to keep at you.
So your balanced but you cant see that was advantage. Well to me that aint balanced. It was a clear advantage. Whether it was a free is another story. if you are so balanced you will realise the saying swings and roundabouts and that is why i dont care about the umpires. They make mistakes but because we watch footy through one eye we only see the mistakes that disadvantage us. I would suggest over a whole season things even out.

By the way I have plenty of an idea what i am talking about. And I am on here because firstly I enjoy it and secondly boredom.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:Hey, only commenting on the obvious...I'm a very balanced football fan, as most of my opposition supporter friends can attest. Why you bother playing 'Devils Advocate' when you have no idea what you're talking about is beyond me too...why are you here? As long as you're having fun, I'm happy to keep at you.
So your balanced but you cant see that was advantage. Well to me that aint balanced. It was a clear advantage. Whether it was a free is another story. if you are so balanced you will realise the saying swings and roundabouts and that is why i dont care about the umpires. They make mistakes but because we watch footy through one eye we only see the mistakes that disadvantage us. I would suggest over a whole season things even out.

By the way I have plenty of an idea what i am talking about. And I am on here because firstly I enjoy it and secondly boredom.
Oh yes, anyone who points out the obvious flaw in your argument is 'one eyes', I've seen that lame excuse a few times. I was looking at the rule book with one eye in regard to Buddy's Arc and the Kosi free reversal, and found that I only needed one to spot the mistakes.

Well, you've got at least one poster on here who agrees with you re: the advantage call, you should be happy. I'm siding with the shock of the commentators in this case. I would have to agree things can tend even out over a season, or as Sirengate proved, they may not.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Why you bother playing 'Devils Advocate' when you have no idea what you're talking about is beyond me too...why are you here? As long as you're having fun, I'm happy to keep at you.
because he has no one to talk to....he hates his missus and she bullies him.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
degruch wrote: Why you bother playing 'Devils Advocate' when you have no idea what you're talking about is beyond me too...why are you here? As long as you're having fun, I'm happy to keep at you.
because he has no one to talk to....he hates his missus and she bullies him.....
The brain dead one who has to jump on another persons posts when they criticize me because you arent smart enough to think of something yourself. At least Degruch has enough brains to think of something to have a go at me about. You on the other hand arent even smart enough to be a cleaner and I am sorry to all cleaners out there.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
The brain dead one who has to jump on another persons posts when they criticize me because you arent smart enough to think of something yourself. At least Degruch has enough brains to think of something to have a go at me about. You on the other hand arent even smart enough to be a cleaner and I am sorry to all cleaners out there.

so you should...nothing tainted about being a cleaner...is there mr house husband....?? :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

so you should...nothing tainted about being a cleaner...is there mr house husband....?? :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Stop it please.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

no...i want to send you to bed crying again.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:no...i want to send you to bed crying again.....
Please stop. I am trying to run a poll.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

P66 has admitted umpires can make mistakes, and I have brains (comparitively)...this thread has gone completely off the rails! I'm putting my fingers in my ears now...la la la la la...

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I heard the Geish on KB's program on SEN this morning.

KB asked him that if Buddy was on the other side of the ground and his "natural arc" took him over the boundary line before his kick, would it be out of bounds...The answer was "yes".

This is totally perplexing now. If the umpire has not called play on how can he be out of bounds.

I find myself continually checking the date to make sure it's not April 1!

Surely, you have a natural arc or you don't. It is either play on all the time or never.

If the rule makers can't be consistent what hope have the umpires got?