We were poor but gee those umps again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Sainter
Club Player

We were poor but gee those umps again

We were very poor but we only received 3 free kicks for the whole second half. Are the umpires betting in games against us? We cannot buy a free kick, often when they are so obvious to everyone. Opposition players never get penalised against us when caught. I'm not blaming them for our loss as we had too many passengers tonight.
Surely Dawson must be dropped as he was hopeless and Blake has a go but just gives away too many stupid free kicks which give up too many easy goals. Kosi also was very ordinary and i didn't know Steven was playing until late in the game.
Hayes, Roo and Goddard tried hard and our forward line started to function when he moved there giving away 3 goals with quick handballs. Worst game i have seen Gardiner play. Stanley must come back as unlike Kosi he has pace. The surface still looks crappy to me.

AlpineStars
Club Player

and the chopping of the arms rule no longer applies. fletcher did it all night.

Wake me up when September ends.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Things went their way a bit, but f*** me did they play in front or what...

I mean you make your own luck, don't you...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SaintWal
Club Player

I am over the umps. Totally. There is no longer even incorrect disposal. One week a player tackled and doing a 360 spin is pinged the next week they can do a 450 and get away with it. Milne got legged in the last. Kosi was pushed in the back. Roo was hit in the head twice in the one play and no free given. Then Gilbert Slips and gives away what could be the softest 50 I have ever seen, admittedly I was a long way from this but I was sure he slipped and was not intentional. Chopping arms has gone all together

Sam23
SS Life Member

Thought they were fine again tonight except for the non holding the ball decision after they just pinged Dal.

Goddard.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The umpiring was a disgrace, but they do tend to favour the team that is winning. Once Essendon pulled our pants down in the first quarter, they got right behind the Bombers.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:The umpiring was a disgrace, but they do tend to favour the team that is winning. Once Essendon pulled our pants down in the first quarter, they got right behind the Bombers.
Thats true. But its at that time we also "got behind" the Bombers and were second to everything. Pathetic.

“Yeah….nah””
Ajer
Club Player

The umps didnt make Essendon a 5-6 goal better side than us tonight.

I dont think we should be crying foul about umpiring, we've had a pretty good run over the years with the umpires, particularly with Nick Riewoldt.

We just gotta go back to the drawing board, this season is not over, not by a long stretch. We'll hit back and im near certain we'll be top four as we have a relatively easy run home.

lennyeverywhere
Club Player

Easy give most of the free kicks to the player that is first to the ball, too often that is not us!!

Get in and help Lenny and stop complaing about umpires and win some contested footy!

As Ross said "players looking for some easy ball and easy game of AFL footy"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You seriously have to be joking. No problems at all tonight. Time to look at other problems.

lennyeverywhere
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:The umpiring was a disgrace, but they do tend to favour the team that is winning. Once Essendon pulled our pants down in the first quarter, they got right behind the Bombers.
The only disgrace was our effort and appetite for the hard ball!!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:....but they do tend to favour the team that is winning.....
This is a pretty fair call, but I would probably correct it to say the team with the momentum tends to get the better of the umpiring.

We were hard done by at times, more so for the ones they missed for us, rather than those they gave against us. I found that we gave away heaps of really sloppy frees tonight, they were technically there but could have been avoided.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

We were smashed, SMASHED, by team that played well when we were rockbottom s***. I do think Essendon had the fall of the luck that comes with an oval shaped ball here and there, but the umpires played absolutely no part in helping them.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:We were smashed, SMASHED, by team that played well when we were rockbottom s***. I do think Essendon had the fall of the luck that comes with an oval shaped ball here and there, but the umpires played absolutely no part in helping them.
Vozzo and McBurney out for this week, Chamberlain in.

Same gut feeling the game was lost before the game even started when I saw that little pixie's name included as one of the umpires.

And once again he met my expectations.

Come on St K FC, gather the courage and make an appointment with the Umpires board to discuss the current standard and interpretation of the rules starting with the missed trip on Milne, if it had been the other way it would have been paid.

And then you can discuss HOW FRIGGIN' FAR can players run this year and then discuss the non pyaing of the 360 rule re holding the ball.

I am starting to question the integrity of the game with this crap.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

it was a question of hunger ... watching the game on tele there were a few times in the third qtr where our boys would apply the tackle and expect holding the ball to be called , this didnt happen and on more then one occasion you could see the frustration on the faces of the players who were doing the hard work and not getting the rewards for it ...yes its the umps fault for not calling it but its the players job to go out again and try harder not get frustrated over it.... as for gilbo's 50 that was always going to get paid he basically fell into the bombers back for no reason .. really a stupid act by gilbo

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:
Thinline wrote:We were smashed, SMASHED, by team that played well when we were rockbottom s***. I do think Essendon had the fall of the luck that comes with an oval shaped ball here and there, but the umpires played absolutely no part in helping them.

Same gut feeling the game was lost before the game even started when I saw that little pixie's name included as one of the umpires.

Come on St K FC, gather the courage and make an appointment with the Umpires board to discuss the current standard and interpretation of the rules starting with the missed trip on Milne, if it had been the other way it would have been paid.

And then you can discuss HOW FRIGGIN' FAR can players run this year and then discuss the non pyaing of the 360 rule re holding the ball.

That is hilarious.

Skildir
Club Player

Ok so we only got three frees in the second half; that sucks but the game was gone at quarter time and I think we got the better of it in the first quarter.

The Sainter
Club Player

I certainly was not blaming our loss on the umpires, far from it. What is amazing is how we cannot get free kicks that other teams receive for the same holding the ball contest.
Watching the Pies today Luke Ball has now joined those other 4 players ( who are top class footballers ) who get a charmed run whenever they are caught with the ball and never penalized or drop their heads when tackled, yet always receive the free kick, namely Hodge, Goodes, Rioli and Sellwood from the Cats. No doubt umpires play favorites with these four and it now seems like Ball has joined them too as he is now starting to get soft free kicks too.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Skildir wrote:Ok so we only got three frees in the second half; that sucks but the game was gone at quarter time and I think we got the better of it in the first quarter.
Just on the number of free kicks we got in the 2nd half, that is astounding considering Essendon received 5 free kicks in the first 4 minutes of the 3rd qtr. :roll:

Also watched a bit of the Brisbane v Melbourne game & the umpires appeared to be paying frees Melbourne's way but then Brisbane wouldn't get the free for the same thing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:
Skildir wrote:Ok so we only got three frees in the second half; that sucks but the game was gone at quarter time and I think we got the better of it in the first quarter.
Just on the number of free kicks we got in the 2nd half, that is astounding considering Essendon received 5 free kicks in the first 4 minutes of the 3rd qtr. :roll:

Also watched a bit of the Brisbane v Melbourne game & the umpires appeared to be paying frees Melbourne's way but then Brisbane wouldn't get the free for the same thing.
sounds to me that they were errors or not quite what you saw. I to saw the game and Melbourne did very well. Didnt notoce the umpires and as for Friday I certainly didnt notice them. I was to busy trying to work out why we wereplaying like bottom 4 side.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely no problems with the umpiring on Friday night.

We were dumb and gave away numerous stupid frees that people are whinging about but were 100% there.

Our tackling has gone from being ferocious and committed to be soft and ineffectual. The number of times we tackle blokes around the waist & leave their arms free to give the ball off is ridiculous.

Effort & commitment are the issues at present, which is more shattering than having a few blokes out of form.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

One free really irritated me, but it was in the last and the game was over. Watson reaches around the front of Dal and grabs his wrist and the whistle is blown and it's holding against Dal. Then a fifty, then a goal. The replay quite clearly showed the above and Watson had that trademark smirk on his face.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:

sounds to me that they were errors or not quite what you saw. I to saw the game and Melbourne did very well. Didnt notoce the umpires and as for Friday I certainly didnt notice them. I was to busy trying to work out why we wereplaying like bottom 4 side.
Yes, they were errors by our players but it is frustrating when they don't seem to be consistent in their interpretations. Our players need to be smarter in relation to giving away free kicks but the umpires also need to be more realistic with some of their decisions.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:

Yes, they were errors by our players but it is frustrating when they don't seem to be consistent in their interpretations. Our players need to be smarter in relation to giving away free kicks but the umpires also need to be more realistic with some of their decisions.

about sums it up..

5 goals from free kicks.......4 fifty metre penalties

but ..plugga...as usual only has doe eyes for the maggots.... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:

to me it is pretty obvious.....the afl wants a girlong v filth grand final.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.