Match-Ups v Port? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Match-Ups v Port? !!

I think CJ (if fit) will go to either Pearce or Rodan. Maybe Al will get the other (if he gets a game)

Port will use Casisi & K Cornes to match up on two of Dal, Lenny, BJ & Joey. I see Cornes going to Dal & Casisi in a head to head battle with Lenny. If thats the case we need to free up BJ & Joey at every opportunity, along with Farren, Jack, Schnieds and whoever else runs through the midfield.

Westhoff has been in pretty good form of late and I would play Blake or Gwilt on him, with the other going to Gray. I would also play Dempster in a tight tagging role on Ebert. Hopefully this will release Chips & Gilbo to play their normal running game.

Port has a fairly tall defence so we should look to rotate our midfielders (heavily) through the forward line to give us more options and make us less predictable.

Please feel free to add/criticise etc !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Good call re Dempster/Ebert. That little two-good-game-a-yearer often bobs up against us. I think Smith and Jones will both play and in the manner you suggested because with Pearce and the Rodent rubbed out, we have way too much class in the middle (assuming the class turns up...)

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
spert
Saintsational Legend

Seeing the Collingwood and Essendon midfield killed us in recent weeks, I think this is where the game will be won or lost.

St_Cave
Club Player

Re: Match-Ups v Port? !!

Eastern wrote:
Just someone to add given last weeks form would be Jay Schulz who seemed to mark everything that came his way. He had 6 contested marks for 4.2...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

St_Cave wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Just someone to add given last weeks form would be Jay Schulz who seemed to mark everything that came his way. He had 6 contested marks for 4.2...
Probably a good one for Gilbert...Schulz can be a bit lazy and there's points to be made on the rebound. He usually kicks 2.4 from set shots too, a frustratingly lazy footballer at times.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Port are entirely different to when we last played them...

Watched the game on the weekend, under Primus they are playing on at every opportunity, very Un-Port like.

Perhaps took their opponents by surprise a bit, given they have traditionally been a very defensively minded grinding kind of a side.

If the boys can recapture their pressure, this would be just the thing to unsettle this new found momentum IMO, and create turnovers.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Port are entirely different to when we last played them...

Watched the game on the weekend, under Primus they are playing on at every opportunity, very Un-Port like.
The Hawks will do that to you. Port were in a position to do so...they shouldn't be against us, but the last gawd knows how many times (apart from the game I attended at AAMI last year) we let Port disctate the play against us. :x

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St_Cave wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Schulz???

Isn't he the guy that Aaron Hamill tried to show the short-cut from the playing surface to the car-park? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!