2011 Grand Final may not be at the MCG

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

2011 Grand Final may not be at the MCG

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 5901664290

2011 Grand Final may not be played at MCG, Andrew Demetriou warns

Wes Hosking

NEXT year's AFL Grand Final may not be played at the MCG due to a fixture clash, league boss Andrew Demetriou has warned.
Speaking to reporters today, Mr Demetriou said the AFL wanted to stage the 2011 Grand Final at the MCG on October 1, to accommodate the new 17-team fixture.

But he said he had been advised that Cricket Victoria had a hold on the day.

“We are trying to play on October the 1st but the MCG is not available due to Cricket Victoria, I understand, so we might have to play it elsewhere the way things are going,â€

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

gee lets think about it .... 100K+ footy fans or 5k cricket fans .... hrmmm i wonder who will win

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:gee lets think about it .... 100K+ footy fans or 5k cricket fans .... hrmmm i wonder who will win
My first thought, plus the national TV coverage for the ground and its advertisers and the world exposure to the ground :lol: :lol: :lol:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

the afl seem to come up with this no grand final at the g thesis every 2nd year. i think deep down A demetriou wants to sneak the GF to Sydney for 1 year in his time as CEO.

But the G will just go back to what they always say about the 30 year contract.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 05 Aug 2010 5:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Nice work from Cricket Victoria...if accidental? I wonder how much of a payout they can squeeze from the MCG?

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

So its coming back to bite the AFL on the a**e for holding ACDC to ransom over Etihad Stadium.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:So its coming back to bite the AFL on the a**e for holding ACDC to ransom over Etihad Stadium.....
I dont get the post.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Demetriou would have known the consequences of adding a 17th team to the competition.

He is now counting on a public outcry to get the cricket moved.

I hope Cricket Victoria stands its ground and Dimwit is left with egg all over his face.

Maybe he'll have to get rid of the pre-season competition and start the season a bit earlier.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Demetriou would have known the consequences of adding a 17th team to the competition.

I hope Cricket Victoria stands its ground and Dimwit is left with egg all over his face.

Maybe he'll have to get rid of the pre-season competition and start the season a bit earlier.
Getting rid of the pre season comp will not help start the season earlier as they just havent got the grounds. It is all rubbish. Of course the AFL will get the MCG on the first of October and thank god. Greatest game in the world at one of the best stadiums.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:So its coming back to bite the AFL on the a**e for holding ACDC to ransom over Etihad Stadium.....
I dont get the post.
During the preseason competition ACDC were lined up to play at Etihad Stadium, but the AFL refused them permission for months as they hold the right to the ground during that time. They had to come to an agreement where the AFL got loads money as compensation for having to find alternative grounds.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I dont get the post.
During the preseason competition ACDC were lined up to play at Etihad Stadium, but the AFL refused them permission for months as they hold the right to the ground during that time. They had to come to an agreement where the AFL got loads money as compensation for having to find alternative grounds.
Still dont get it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Demetriou would have known the consequences of adding a 17th team to the competition.

Getting rid of the pre season comp will not help start the season earlier as they just havent got the grounds. It is all rubbish. Of course the AFL will get the MCG on the first of October and thank god. Greatest game in the world at one of the best stadiums.

Could we have someone to speak in favour of the AFL please.

I'll laugh my head off if Cricket Victoria says: "We will not be moved."

Dimwit should have thought of the consequences of adding an extra team and what that would do the draw.

Encroaching on the cricket season is a very serious business. It is, afterall, a cricket ground.

Dimwit ... or maybe it should be Slywit ... knows that the public outcry will get the cricket moved. I'd love Cricket Victoria to stand its ground on this one and play the shield there.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 05 Aug 2010 5:12pm, edited 2 times in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:So its coming back to bite the AFL on the arse for holding ACDC to ransom over Etihad Stadium.....
I dont get the post.
Still dont get it.
Weren't games scheduled at ES anyway? I don't remember it causing any games to be moved, but I do remember the ground looking terrible afterwards.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Could we have someone to speak in favour of the AFL please.

I'll laugh my head off if Cricket Victoria says: "We will not be moved."

Dimwit should have thought of the consequences of adding an extra team and what that would do the draw.

Encroaching on the cricket season is a very serious business. It is, afterall, a cricket ground.

Dimwit ... or maybe it should be Slywit ... knows that the public outcry will get the cricket moved. I'd love Cricket Victoria to stand its ground on this one and play the shield there.
But they never play the shield that early and why would you want the AFL to have to move the GF? It may be a cricket ground but it is funded by footy. A million to one that the GF will be moved. What is wrong with 17 sides anyway?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

30 year contract to play the Granny at the MCG.

Goughy wil not have it any other way.

He will tell Cricket Victoria to get farked.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:What is wrong with 17 sides anyway?
Less chance of St Kilda winning a premiership.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Less chance of winning a premiership.
Why?
We couldnt win one with 4, 8 or 9 sides. Won one with 12 and probably done as well as we ever had with 16. If you are the best side it doesnt matter how many sides there are and if you are the worst it doesnt matter either.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:30 year contract to play the Granny at the MCG.

Goughy wil not have it any other way.

He will tell Cricket Victoria to get farked.
Or the Grand Final will be played at Homebush, Sydney.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Less chance of winning a premiership.
Why?
We couldnt win one with 4, 8 or 9 sides. Won one with 12 and probably done as well as we ever had with 16. If you are the best side it doesnt matter how many sides there are and if you are the worst it doesnt matter either.
Mate, do the sums.

If there are 18 teams in it, it's theoretically harder to win a flag than when there are 16.

Sainterman
Club Player

When will he wrap his head around having a 17 team comp...he has seemed confused and befuddled on this for nearly a year now...surely, being one of the men who pushed for 17th and 18th teams, he should have thought about the practicalities of it prior to now...?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:When will he wrap his head around having a 17 team comp...he has seemed confused and befuddled on this for nearly a year now...surely, being one of the men who pushed for 17th and 18th teams, he should have thought about the practicalities of it prior to now...?
Policy on the run. Special rules for special players. The Steven Baker Rule.

It's a corrupt and slimy organisation run by a master con artist.

Sainterman
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Sainterman wrote:When will he wrap his head around having a 17 team comp...he has seemed confused and befuddled on this for nearly a year now...surely, being one of the men who pushed for 17th and 18th teams, he should have thought about the practicalities of it prior to now...?

i just find it amazing this has yet to be worked out...and even more amazing that the CEO can come out and sound confused about it.

Then again, if we listen to Plugger, it is the best run comp in Australia. I still maintain the view that it runs well only on the back of its support amongst the people for the game itself, and that with people who had half a clue running it, would be even bigger and better than it is now.

Poor old Stevie...done over...another in a long an indisputable list of inconsistencies.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

i just find it amazing this has yet to be worked out...and even more amazing that the CEO can come out and sound confused about it.

Then again, if we listen to Plugger, it is the best run comp in Australia. I still maintain the view that it runs well only on the back of its support amongst the people for the game itself, and that with people who had half a clue running it, would be even bigger and better than it is now.

Poor old Stevie...done over...another in a long an indisputable list of inconsistencies.
What's next? The pre-season comp starting on Boxing Day? Cricket has every right to stand its ground.

What a balls up by Demetriou.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 05 Aug 2010 5:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

...but membership numbers are up. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Yep it is terribly run. That is why about 5 grounds have either been built or ungraded at hardly any cost to the AFL in the last 5 years.

By the way when has the right person ever been in charge of the VFL/AFL?
Who should run it?