What Fringe player could we be interested in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i would be asking about alwyn Davey from essendon and shannon Hurn from west coast ... hurns booming kick would be great for us !!
They love Hurn at WCE... also a future leader - there would be little to no chance of snaring him unless he wanted out.

Not many of the names above really excite me... Bate could be handy, but i doubt Melbourne would trade him. Tarrant could be decent up back, but we may be recruiting him a year too late - he would also cost big bucks.

Personally, i feel i small, rebounding defender with good speed could be good. Graham Johncock is on his final chance at Adelaide and is a star - he would suit our backline perfectly. Harbrow would also be great, but i imagine it would be Doggies or GC for him in 2011. I also like Roger Hayden at Freo, but imagine he would be a required player as their teams continues to build.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Chris Knights.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Chris Knights is a star not a fringe player.
40 Goals last year
Injured this year
Absolute star

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Chris Knights.
he'd be great if available - the next adam schneider, possibly. can kick goals, can get the ball, just queries on workrate. would be very excited if we picked him up.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

tarrant would be great !!! if only he was 3 years younger and not becoming injury prone

Hurn is a respected player WCE but that can change quickly ....

i dont know if the whole flashy x factor player fits in with Ross's weight of numbers team defence style of coaching

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
FQF
SS Life Member

Brad Miller would be a very very handy third tall.

Has the capability to kick big bags. As the third prong in the attack he would receive lessened attention. Always rated him based on talent.

Out of the team for work rate i've heard... but that shouldn't be too much of an issue with Roo standing next to him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Brad Miller would be a very very handy third tall.

Has the capability to kick big bags. As the third prong in the attack he would receive lessened attention. Always rated him based on talent.

Out of the team for work rate i've heard... but that shouldn't be too much of an issue with Roo standing next to him.
I must say there is only one good thing I have seen in Brad and that is Pia.

taz
Club Player

.....go for Jack.....seriously.....

Royston
Club Player

No way on Miller - one trick pony with little upside....can't get a game at the Dees.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

100% agree - never been much of a fan of his... but Pia makes him a winner in my books.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Who is Pia? Sorry. Lost me.

I watched him snag 11 live last weekend (long story why I was at Casey, but I was). In all seriousness, he was matched up on a skinny 18 year old Suns kid who was simply brushed aside. He had ten goals up a few mins into the last term. Bizarrely, when Karmichael Hunt was swung onto him thereafter the only goal he kicked was after marking from a fast breakaway after a bad Suns error. Otherwise Hunt held him no worries. And if a bloke in his fifth or sixth EVER game can hold down Miller, then I'm not sure Miller's the answer to be honest...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
he'd be great if available - the next adam schneider, possibly. can kick goals, can get the ball, just queries on workrate. would be very excited if we picked him up.
oh yeah. but no chance. hes maybe better than schneids. im pretty sure his name came up last year and the crows signed him ofr 2 or 3 years. hes a friggin gun player.

Royston
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:
oh yeah. but no chance. hes maybe better than schneids. im pretty sure his name came up last year and the crows signed him ofr 2 or 3 years. hes a friggin gun player.
Correct, re-signed last year after speculation he'd return to Melbourne.
G U N.....but lets move on.

3:16
Club Player

None, have enough fringe players, bring in some more youth!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

3:16 wrote:None, have enough fringe players, bring in some more youth!!!!!
Must agree with this, unless someone with some serious upside comes on the market, I'm not interested in another fringe player clogging up our aging list.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Don't know whether Varcoe and Wellingham are considered fringe players anymore :shock:
no they def arent fringe now. but they were 12-24 months ago. thats what im saying. get em when they are fringe and available and youngish. thats what a good recuiter does. so i meant those types just before they ripen!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Getting a bit off the topic but according to Hutchi, Steele Sidebottom is better than Schneids. What a tool.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
loris
Saintsational Legend

Josh Fraser could be looking for a new home....... he's still only about 28

noob
Club Player

bachar houli?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

NO dealings with Essendon AFAIAC. They can't be trusted to provide reliable information, considering our last trade deal with them was carried with 10 character references. I still haven't forgiven Hird or Sheedy for their part in it either.

Anyhow - we are chock full of fringe players as it is. Dempster's been on our list for three years and still can't get a regular game. Bring on the kids!

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Saint4Eva
Club Player

noob wrote:bachar houli?

yes! i like him, raking left foot and carved us up a few weeks ago

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

No more caste off's please !

If we had of gone to the draft last year year instead of trading away our first two draft picks we wouldd have two good kids (most likely) midfielders running around eg Bastinac & Fyfe or similiar.

I think I recall our Player Manager spruiking that he thought it was a weaker draft when justifying the selection of Lovett. Freo would have delisted Peake so IMO we gave up too much for him also.

Its time to forget the quick fixes SAINTS throw some resources into our recruiting and develop our own kids ...

PLEASE ....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
noob
Club Player

You'd think the recruiting would be even better considering that the recruiters would have time to adapt to lower picks considering the saints have been up the top since 2004

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Saint4Eva wrote:
noob wrote:bachar houli?

yes! i like him, raking left foot and carved us up a few weeks ago
interesting player, 4 seasons but never had a good run of games, due to injury or out of favour. Plays in a couple of positions, is quick, and plays tall.
Does he "want" to play at the top level tho? And do we revisit another essendon trade?

Seeya
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Saints94 wrote:Adelaide: C.Knights

Port Adelaide: S.Salopek ...
Interesting interpretation of "fringe". Both those guys are untouchable unless they decide they want out of their clubs, and so they should be. Were they in Melbourne, they'd be considered elite.

I've got to admit I don't share the Josh Hill love - strikes me as a guy whose creativity is central to his game, but really needs to commit and reign himself in to take the next step... on the flip side, I wish we'd gotten Everitt. Has a bit of "freak" about him.

- If Brisbane's still interested in moving Rischitelli I'm interested. I suspect he's answered his critics though.
- Brad Dick. A bit like Stephen Hill from a talent perspective, but seems to fit a team ethic better. Injury prone and doubt he's available.
- Gary Moss. After some promising games last year, hasn't been able to make the Hawthorn side. Young, willing to put his body on the line, and uses the ball okay. Could make them look silly elsewhere.
- Gavin Urquhart. 60m kick. I'm always interested in guys who can do that. Not sure about the rest of the package...
- Port Adelaide's Matt Thomas is in and out of their side. Scores well in a couple of my favourite indicators (FF, and >SC scores). Needs to work out consistency, discipline, I don't really know that much about him...
- While mentioning the above above Tom Logan has an excellent frees differential... I'd keep an eye on him after finding that out, but that would mean watching Port...

food for thought.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford