Interesting stat, a good omen for Saints fans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Interesting stat, a good omen for Saints fans

http://www.bigpondsport.com/rain-man-th ... fault.aspx

In 1965 and 1966, St Kilda, Collingwood, Essendon and Geelong were the teams left vying for the flag. In 2009 and 2010, the Saints, Cats and Pies are back again with the Bulldogs replacing the Bombers as the fourth team.

St Kilda supporters will take no small amount of heart from these curious facts because 1966 was the last, and only, time the club won the premiership.

And it gets even spookier. The Saints finished 1965 as minor premiers, only to be outclassed on grand final day by Essendon. A year later, the St Kilda juggernaut was not travelling quite so smoothly during the home and away season – in 1966, it was the Magpies who topped the ladder but, famously, they were pipped by the Saints in the GF.

For the 2010 Saints – who, like their 1966 counterparts lost a grand final after winning the minor premiership – the omens do not come any brighter than that.

marksnsparks
Club Player

Pfft.

I had a theory that if England won the World Cup, then Saints were a shoe in.

Anyone who follows the round ball game knows what happened.

Hope I'm wrong.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:Pfft.

I had a theory that if England won the World Cup, then Saints were a shoe in.

Anyone who follows the round ball game knows what happened.

Hope I'm wrong.
But England didn't win, so your theory is shot anyway?

Or are you suggesting the Saints only win the flag when England win the WC?

The Saints are coming!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Is that your little one in the avatar mark?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We got flogged in '65 after being far and away the best team, so I'm not sure it really counts.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
marksnsparks
Club Player

I'm saying I hope my theory is shot away. As a pom, it was a nice bit of synchoronicity that my adopted AFL team's only success was in the same year as my birth country's only success.

Yes, that's my eldest, and he's an essendon supporter. But hey, he needs someone to support in September! this photo is going in the blackmail file.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:I'm saying I hope my theory is shot away. As a pom, it was a nice bit of synchoronicity that my adopted AFL team's only success was in the same year as my birth country'sonly success.

Yes, that's my eldest, and he's an essendon supporter. But hey, he needs someone to support in September!
Maybe the beginnings of a Saints supporter, you never know :)

Oldtimer
Club Player

Also in the 1966 season the Saints played the Pies at Vic Park in round 10, they beat us by 73 pts when we were on top but equal with them on points. Pies went to and remained on top for the remaining rounds thereafter bar one and finished on top, we finished second. Pies beat us by 10pts in second semi, Baldock thrashed the Dons in the wet in the prelim and then we defeated the Pies by the smallest margin the next week. We lost 4 home and away games, one final and as the 'underdogs' won the Premiership!

I was there in 1966
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Oldtimer wrote:Also in the 1966 season the Saints played the Pies at Vic Park in round 10, they beat us by 73 pts when we were on top but equal with them on points. Pies went to and remained on top for the remaining rounds thereafter bar one and finished on top, we finished second. Pies beat us by 10pts in second semi, Baldock thrashed the Dons in the wet in the prelim and then we defeated the Pies by the smallest margin the next week. We lost 4 home and away games, one final and as the 'underdogs' won the Premiership!
I like 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oldtimer wrote:Also in the 1966 season the Saints played the Pies at Vic Park in round 10, they beat us by 73 pts when we were on top but equal with them on points. Pies went to and remained on top for the remaining rounds thereafter bar one and finished on top, we finished second. Pies beat us by 10pts in second semi, Baldock thrashed the Dons in the wet in the prelim and then we defeated the Pies by the smallest margin the next week. We lost 4 home and away games, one final and as the 'underdogs' won the Premiership!

i have always believed that john bingley won us the grand final.......tuddy cut us up in the 2nd semi......bingley tore him a new one in the grannie......a few years ago i met tuddy at a brownlow night......told him just what i posted above...he said that bingley was a real "see you next tuesday."...said that he went to shake bingley's hand at the start of the match and bingley spat in his face...

...whether that happened or not..i don't really know...what i do know is that bingley was a tough son of a bitch...and i remember in a match between the ntfa and the nwfu.....bingley punched the opposing captain in the face whilst they were still playing the national anthem.....

..i love john bingley...... :wink: :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
marksnsparks
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
marksnsparks wrote:I'm saying I hope my theory is shot away. As a pom, it was a nice bit of synchoronicity that my adopted AFL team's only success was in the same year as my birth country'sonly success.

Yes, that's my eldest, and he's an essendon supporter. But hey, he needs someone to support in September!
I've been saying that for the 6 years he's been into the great indigenous game. when do I have to give up?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I've been saying that for the 6 years he's been into the great indigenous game. when do I have to give up?

well`......about thirty odd years ago...my eldest came home after attending a footy clinic held by a couple of shaws and dear trevor barker...for some reason she was conned by a couple of filth players into barracking for them......she floated the idea with me.....i told her that it was okay for her to follow the filth......just that she would have to find somewhere else to live......she is still a dyed in the wool saint to this day...as are two of her three boys.....don't give up the good fight mate...you will suffer down through the generations.....
Last edited by stinger on Sat 14 Aug 2010 12:39am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Maybe a premiership will help your cause, good luck...

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I am convinced we will win the flag. Bring it on.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:I am convinced we will win the flag. Bring it on.

me too mate.....more than ever... :wink:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Darrel Baldock
Club Player

I oame here in 1966 from England in August 1966 after seeing England win the world cup on a ship going through the Mediterranean. Went to my first Saints game just two days after arriving here. Became an instant convert thanks to the Doc. What a genius! I don't believe in omens witchcraft or Collingwood but I'll take this one!

Ian Cooper was too thin
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

In 1966 an Australian was formula one world champion (Jack Brabham). Mark Webber currently leads the 2010 championship.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting stat, a good omen for Saints fans

SainterK wrote:http://www.bigpondsport.com/rain-man-th ... fault.aspx

In 1965 and 1966, St Kilda, Collingwood, Essendon and Geelong were the teams left vying for the flag. In 2009 and 2010, the Saints, Cats and Pies are back again with the Bulldogs replacing the Bombers as the fourth team.

St Kilda supporters will take no small amount of heart from these curious facts because 1966 was the last, and only, time the club won the premiership.

And it gets even spookier. The Saints finished 1965 as minor premiers, only to be outclassed on grand final day by Essendon. A year later, the St Kilda juggernaut was not travelling quite so smoothly during the home and away season – in 1966, it was the Magpies who topped the ladder but, famously, they were pipped by the Saints in the GF.

For the 2010 Saints – who, like their 1966 counterparts lost a grand final after winning the minor premiership – the omens do not come any brighter than that.
Just a question, do you also believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa and Tarrot Card readers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

All that matters is what our players do in Sept.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:http://www.bigpondsport.com/rain-man-th ... fault.aspx

Even though I hate to say it, the Pies are the best team of the year BUT as history shows, the best team does not always take out the prize as we all painfully know on this site. Hope lingers....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Just a question, do you also believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa and Tarrot Card readers? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope, nope and nope! :)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintspremiers wrote: Just a question, do you also believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa and Tarrot Card readers? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope, nope and nope! :)

whoa there...not so sure about tarot card readers.....